• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive Dimensions |OT| Setting your age to 99 does nothing!

fernoca

I actually won! :O! (used Kasumi, since is the character I use since the first game)
Lost last week against Helena, so I went today expecting to lose; but didn't.

Prize was 2 figurines.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Are the costume DLC schedules world-wide, or some-region-specific?

louie

8BitsAtATime said:
Is there any other DoA games i should try to find or play (I dont want to play Dead or Alive Xtreme).

DoA4 plays mostly like this game, so I assume you'll like it. It still has a pretty good online community and can probably be picked up fairly cheap nowadays.

blu

fernoca said:
Same, well at least in US and Europe. Not sure if it's the same in Japan.
Thanks, EU was what I was looking for anyway.

fernoca

Hmm, is there an alternate way to unlock the missing characters?
I've read online, and all I see is mentions of having to beat Tag Challenges (which sucks because the AI-partner sucks; as it mostly stands there doing nothing). But the thing is that I unlocked Kasumi Alpha a few days ago; yet online it says I have to beat Tag Challenge #16.

Any other "ways"?

gotee12

I cannot believe that I'm actually enjoying "Chronicle" mode. It's story mode in a fighting game. That's not supposed to be enjoyable.

I are confused....

Of course it is cheesy as all heck, enjoyable, but cheesy.

fernoca said:
I've read online, and all I see is mentions of having to beat Tag Challenges (which sucks because the AI-partner sucks; as it mostly stands there doing nothing). But the thing is that I unlocked Kasumi Alpha a few days ago; yet online it says I have to beat Tag Challenge #16.

Any other "ways"?
I did it through Arcade mode.

8BitsAtATime said:
I"ll check out DOA3. Thanks!
I really love DOA3.1 but it is sort of lacking in content. You may want to check out DOA2 Ultimate, also for the original Xbox and BC on the 360. Lots of content and a great game as well.

BocoDragon said:
That's so hyperbolic.
Unfortunately it's not.

fernoca said:

Any other "ways"?
No one has pinpointed the exact way to unlock the boss characters, but the Tag Challenges are not a requirement.

I just finished unlocking all the characters today and I haven't even touched the Tag Challenges Mode yet.

The easiest way I've seen suggested and what I personally did was complete Chronicles Mode and then just keep playing the Arcade Mode and the bosses will unlock eventually. You have to beat the Arcade Mode a bunch of times anyway to unlock all the costumes, so you get to kill two birds with one stone.

fernoca

gotee12 said:
I cannot believe that I'm actually enjoying "Chronicle" mode. It's story mode in a fighting game. That's not supposed to be enjoyable.

I are confused....

Of course it is cheesy as all heck, enjoyable, but cheesy.
Yeah it was great, though too short. If you like similar story modes in fighters, give a try to Mortal Kombat (on consoles only at the moment).

bobbychalkers said:
I did it through Arcade mode.
Hmm, I'll try diffeent character combinations around then. Finished Course 6 again (with Kasumi, first time was with Jann Lee) and got nothing.

Gunloc said:
No one has pinpointed the exact way to unlock the boss characters, but the Tag Challenges are not a requirement.

I just finished unlocking all the characters today and I haven't even touched the Tag Challenges Mode yet.

The easiest way I've seen suggested and what I personally did was complete Chronicles Mode and then just keep playing the Arcade Mode and the bosses will unlock eventually. You have to beat the Arcade Mode a bunch of times anyway to unlock all the costumes, so you get to kill two birds with one stone.
Oh! interesting, nice. Was forcing myself through Tag Challenges, but..damn it! Will try different characters through Arcade, then.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
grap3fruitman said:
Unfortunately it's not.
Ok you don't like the games. I respect that.

But you know, it is generally accepted that DOA4 and DOA Dimsensions are quality games.. So when a DOA noob asks for other new titles I don't think calling them trash is informative. If he liked Dimensions, he'd probably like the graphically up to date DOA4.

Neat info about DOA3 being better in other regions though.

DR2K

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
Not just me; the entirety of hardcore DOA players hate those two games because of how bad they screwed up the gameplay.

There's no need to lie to people to make your point. The "community" does not hate DOA4 or DOAD, nor have many played DOA3. DOAD is a great fighter for a portable.

fernoca said:
Oh! interesting, nice. Was forcing myself through Tag Challenges, but..damn it! Will try different characters through Arcade, then.
Have you beaten Chronicles Mode? I didn't get any bosses until after that, but they all appeared quite soon after I completed it.

Grisby said:
How many chapters are there in chronicles? They feel long.
**5**

fernoca

Thanks for the tips! :)
Just got the remaining characters! XD

Took me a few tries, but it was cool; unlocked a few figurines and clothes along the way.

fernoca

Not to mention that I recommened the games I did, because 8Bits said that Dimensions is/was his first DOA and he was curious in playing the rest.

So I recommended Ultimate, because it has the first game with the original visuals and everything, and the sequel with updated visuals (well, updated to DOA3 visuals at least); and also added DOA4, since it's the "current gen DOA" because of the visuals for the most part.

Not becuase of some technicalities; is not like 8Bits said that he wanted to know which was the best DOA game to get into competitive fighters or something. :p

DR2K

Banned
fernoca said:
Not to mention that I recommened the games I did, because 8Bits said that Dimensions is/was his first DOA and he was curious in playing the rest.

So I recommended Ultimate, because it has the first game with the original visuals and everything, and the sequel with updated visuals (well, updated to DOA3 visuals at least); and also added DOA4, since it's the "current gen DOA" because of the visuals for the most part.

Not becuase of some technicalities; is not like 8Bits said that he wanted to know which was the best DOA game to get into competitive figthers or something. :p

Ultimate is the definition of fanservice, 20 freaking costumes per character and a plethora of content still amazes me today.

fernoca

DR2K said:
Ultimate is the definition of fanservice, 20 freaking costumes per character and a plethora of content still amazes me today.
Hell yeah. Still disappointed that a Kmart around here put 4 of them brand new on clearance for $5 each, years ago and (for some reason) the only thing in my mind was "I already played it, so I'll be wasting $5"... XD

Then again, I no longer have an Xbox; but was a ncie package overall; including 2 crappy cards. :p

BiggNife

Been playing this since I got my 3DS about a week ago. It really is a great portable fighting game, but it definitely doesn't feel like it has as much depth as something like SF4. Which is fine, because sometimes I'm not in the mood for anything super technical.

I will say that if you use Alpha-152 online you are terrible. I'm a little surprised/disappointed there's no options in the matchmaking to disable boss characters.

DR2K said:
Either that or you're very dense.
You've probably been involved in the DOA community longer than I have but you honestly believe the majority of said community enjoys DOA4 and DOAD? They're horribly frustrating at high level play because they've been so tuned to give the defender the advantage at every opportunity.

DR2K said:
DOAD is a great fighter for a portable.
It isn't even passable as a fighter.

BiggNife said:
I will say that if you use Alpha-152 online you are terrible. I'm a little surprised/disappointed there's no options in the matchmaking to disable boss characters.
Why? She's easily one of the worst characters in the game.

DOAD is so counter-heavy and her counters do no damage and teleport you into the same spot you're currently in. So not only do you continue to get hit but because you "successfully" countered, your opponent's damage scaling resets.

NateDrake said:
Ein just got his ass beat. That was one of the easier Throwdowns they have done.

Then you got a different Ein than me. I laughed that they classified him as grade D, he was a rush-down knock-you-down-before-you-can-stand-up maniac. He wasn't just blind-attacking either, he was parrying moves like crazy for me.

It took me my second try to beat him. But I wasn't going to lose the rare figure just because they threw a ringer in there.

Remember, if you power off before it saves, you can just play the Throwdown again.

BiggNife

grap3fruitman said:

DOAD is so counter-heavy and her counters do no damage and teleport you into the same spot you're currently in. So not only do you continue to get hit but because you "successfully" countered, your opponent's damage scaling resets.

Except that she can do absolutely massive damage with incredibly simple combos.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Ein destroyed.

Random streetpass challenger destroyed.

Come at me streetpass bros.

DR2K

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
You've probably been involved in the DOA community longer than I have but you honestly believe the majority of said community enjoys DOA4 and DOAD? They're horribly frustrating at high level play because they've been so tuned to give the defender the advantage at every opportunity.

It isn't even passable as a fighter.

I believe that a good portion do enjoy both.

It's a solid game for most, if you're looking for a game that's all mechanics and little everything else, then there are options.

Alpha is more of an all or nothing character. One combo = death, but highly predictable. fair trade off.

DR2K said:
Alpha is more of an all or nothing character. One combo = death, but highly predictable. fair trade off.
Except that you can counter every single one of her hits in the middle of a "combo." If you manage to hit and stun her though, she has no defensive options and is more or less fucked. Honestly, I'd probably consider her the worst character in the game for these reasons.

So, today I unlocked all the characters. Im really loving the game. I rushed chronicle mode just to unlock all the characters (I had to play arcade mode about 10 times to get the rest) but Im going to take my time on the next play through just to make sure to get all the techniques down. Im having alitte trouble with the throws and holds but im slowly getting the hang of it.

The figurines are going to take some time to get, ive only got about 8.2 %. The tag challenge im 35% done.

So would getting a modded xbox be the best choice for playing the other DoA's? DoA Ultimate and DoA 3 are the ones I want to pick up. I have a 360 so I might get the DoA 4 If i can find it for cheap. Is DoA on the dreamcast any good?

So far Im really like La Mariposa but I really havent played with the other characters beside Kasumi and Hayabusa. I did win my first Throwdown challenge with Kasumi...but I dont remember who I was fighting against.

fernoca

8BitsAtATime said:
So would getting a modded xbox be the best choice for playing the other DoA's? DoA Ultimate and DoA 3 are the ones I want to pick up. I have a 360 so I might get the DoA 4 If i can find it for cheap. Is DoA on the dreamcast any good?

Ultimate and 3 are backward comaptible with the 360 (if you have a hard disc of course :p), so no need to buy another Xbox...I guess.

4 can be found for under $20 (if you live in the US, some Sears had them on clearance under $15, depends on the store though).

The Dreamcast version is nice, but with Ultimate you're buying a remake of that one (DOA2 along iwth teh port of DOA1); so in that way it wouldn't make sense having both; unless you want to compare changes and technical aspects; or just for collection's sake.

fernoca said:
The Dreamcast version is nice, but with Ultimate you're buying a remake of that one (DOA2 along with teh port of DOA1); so in that way it wouldn't make sense having both; unless you want to compare changes and technical aspects; or just for collection's sake.
PS2 Hardcore was the first to have English voices and should be easily found.

tsab

Yesterday I finally unlocked every costume and character without completing Tag Challenge so I can confirm that you can unlock them while playing, for example, the arcade mode.

btw, is there a guide for the figures?

I feel like every character except for Helena, Ryu, Ayame, Kasumi and Hayate are pretty much irrevelant to the story. Just "extras" along for the ride

blu

So I just beat my first Throwdown Challange and all I got were some measly 220 points and an F grade :/ What did I do wrong?

Boney

Banned
blu said:
So I just beat my first Throwdown Challange and all I got were some measly 220 points and an F grade :/ What did I do wrong?
Your grade is by total points you have, not how you ranked on the fight. So keep winning there and online and you'll have a better rank.

blu

Boney said:
Your grade is by total points you have, not how you ranked on the fight. So keep winning there and online and you'll have a better rank.
But I want my 'extra rare figurine'!

PSGames

Is it just me or does this have the worst 3D effect of any 3DS game? There is hardly any depth and it gives me headaches. Not to mention the horrible aliasing.

P90

PSGames said:
Is it just me or does this have the worst 3D effect of any 3DS game? There is hardly any depth and it gives me headaches. Not to mention the horrible aliasing.

There is aliasing, but no 3D problems here. I set the slider about 1/3 up.

blu

gotee12 said:
Have you guys ever unlocked anything (figurines, costumes, etc.) via freeplay mode?
Not a single thing.

TacticalFox88 said:
I feel like every character except for Helena, Ryu, Ayame, Kasumi and Hayate are pretty much irrevelant to the story. Just "extras" along for the ride
As a Leifang fan, I felt gypped having to go through the entire thing playing the ninjas pretty much exclusively. Chapter one: Kasumi x10. Chapter two: Hayabusa x10, etc.

The ninjas bore the hell out of me, I like the stupid back stories of the auxiliary cast much better.

Hello. My copy of DOA arrived today. What's the deal with the downloadable content, do I need to switch my machine on each day, or can I just leave the cart in the system on sleep mode with wifi on?

Many thanks.

Pancakes R Us said:
Hello. My copy of DOA arrived today. What's the deal with the downloadable content, do I need to switch my machine on each day, or can I just leave the cart in the system on sleep mode with wifi on?

Many thanks.

Just leave it on sleep mode.Youll get the content each day around 2pm EST i believe now.

Top Bottom