• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

yurinka

Just beated the demo (PS3 version, SDTV). I only noticed a framerate drop I time, when there were a lot of people in screen, the rest of the demo was smooth. This "big framerate issues" is just bullshit.

Controls were ok for me (Type D), fuck the haters. RE4 controls with some tweaked to improve them, works great. To turn faster, remember to press X (run button).

Sheva AI was great. Co-op was awesome. Great visuals. Played some random on-line matches, and didn't experienced any connection problem or lag (20MB ADSL here). I'm waiting a friend to use the invites.

Teknoman

sentry65 said:
so, uh do some people still think RE5 looks better than killzone 2?

Nope, but its a damn good looking survival horror game.

RE5 will be/is awesome, but im sure the same RE fans that didnt like RE4...wont be swayed by RE5. Either way, i'll be available as a PS3 and 360 demo co-op partner, but going 360 for retail.

Oh and playing through the PS3 demo a few times single player, the framerate hiccups arent bad at all. Only happens when ALOT of stuff happens on the screen at once. And even then, its only for a little while. Not sure why the hiccups are even there, but its nothing bothersome.

BeeDog

yurinka said:
Just beated the demo (PS3 version, SDTV). I only noticed a framerate drop I time, when there were a lot of people in screen, the rest of the demo was smooth. This "big framerate issues" is just bullshit.

Controls were ok for me (Type D), fuck the haters. RE4 controls with some tweaked to improve them, works great. To turn faster, remember to press X (run button).

Sheva AI was great. Co-op was awesome. Great visuals. Played some random on-line matches, and didn't experienced any connection problem or lag (20MB ADSL here). I'm waiting a friend to use the invites.

Please get a better TV, then return. The framerate in the PS3 demo is pretty fucking schitzophrenic.

Varna

OK.

I tried the demo again today and time played through a bit of the Shanty Town... I had a much more enjoyable time. I don't know what it was about the previous level. It seem to expose all of the controls limitation (shit turning and aiming speed mainly). It did feel a bit like the village encounter in RE4, but you had so much more room in that level. You couldn't even turn in the Assembly without being face to face to an enemy.

yurinka said:

Not everybody is sensitive to these things, but for those that are the difference is real and clear. I noticed a wonkier framerate literally a second into the demo. As soon as I swung the camera, I noticed that it wasn't up to par with the 360 version. Walking down that long path with no enemies around, it hiccuped. I'm still getting it for PS3 and I hope this really is an old build.

Teknoman

Varna said:
OK.

I tried the demo again today and time played through a bit of the Shanty Town... I had a much more enjoyable time. I don't know what it was about the previous level. It seem to expose all of the controls limitation (shit turning and aiming speed mainly). It did feel a bit like the village encounter in RE4, but you had so much more room in that level. You couldn't even turn in the Assembly without being face to face to an enemy.

Stay on the higher areas in Assembly. Thats the key to surviving...unless you wanna kill the Axecutioner and take his treasure for big N (whats the currency this time? Just know its an N sign).

yurinka

BeeDog said:
Please get a better TV, then return. The framerate in the PS3 demo is pretty fucking schitzophrenic.
Maybe it's a SDTV, but looks like it's better than your display
;)
since doesn't show noticiable framerate drops in almost all the demo.
Anyways, a Bravia FullHD coming this month.

BeeDog

revolverjgw said:
Not everybody is sensitive to these things, but for those that are the difference is real and clear. I noticed a wonkier framerate literally a second into the demo. As soon as I swung the camera, I noticed that it wasn't up to par with the 360 version. Walking down that long path with no enemies around, it hiccuped. I'm still getting it for PS3 and I hope this really is an old build.

There's something very funky about the framerate in the PS3 demo. Even when NOTHING's happening on screen, as soon as you pan the camera, small "hiccups" are apparent, as you said. And now I recall there were some heavy(/true) framedrops when I blasted several z0mb0rz at close range with the shotgun (when the blood splattered).

Thrakier

BeeDog said:
There's something very funky about the framerate in the PS3 demo. Even when NOTHING's happening on screen, as soon as you pan the camera, small "hiccups" are apparent, as you said. And now I recall there were some heavy(/true) framedrops when I blasted several z0mb0rz at close range with the shotgun (when the blood splattered).

THAT'S TRUE HORROR! ONLY ON PS3!

Damn Capcom. I hate you now. Really really hate you. :(

Teknoman

Zenith said:
It was meant to be a horror game?

Im sure it'll be scary at certain points. I mean oven man style scary. Or "Oh crap! I didnt see that!" surprise scares.

EDIT: Panning the camera around in assembly right now for PS3. No wonky framerate hiccups in sight so far.

Playing the NA demo at this point btw.

tribal24

Banned
!!! this fucking game rocks on the dual shock, type c ftw. and i was bitching about the controls on the 360 but now this game is a insta-buy for me on the ps3. Also there is much more zombies in the ps3 version becuase everytime, I would run up to the roof on the 360 and i was able to kill all the zombies, now they just keep coming out of nowhere till the helicopter comes

Teknoman

Wow PS3 controls do feel a little better. Small framerate dips are noticeable though. Its not game breaking, but definitely there for the demo.

Nizz

I downloaded the demo earlier today but something felt wrong about playing it with the sun up. :D I always play RE games at night. Though I'm a little bummed out hearing about the framerate issues. :( I'll check the demo out myself later tonight, but I really hope it's just an older build and it's been polished up greatly since this build.

Teknoman

fps fanatic said:
I downloaded the demo earlier today but something felt wrong about playing it with the sun up. :D I always play RE games at night. Though I'm a little bummed out hearing about the framerate issues. :( I'll check the demo out myself later tonight, but I really hope it's just an older build and it's been polished up greatly since this build.

Yeah the framerate drops arent bad at all (really not noticeable). But if you've played the 360 demo, you can tell its there.

Also wtf at Axecutioner breaking through anything. I thought I was safe...I thought wrong.

posted it in another RE5 thread, but it's not a must by for me anymore. I'm just not as immersed in this game as i was in Re4. The co-op is okay but there are much better co-op shooters out there now. Don't like the controls ( as i didn't fully liked them in RE4).

might get it depending on reviews and GAF user impressions.. but the demo didn't make me horny

Sidzed2

I read an article on Kotaku a little while back which expressed the sentiments re: ps3 version's framerate in the demo areas, before going on to add that when the writer saw additional levels from the full game that the ps3 and 360 versions looked nigh on identical.

Hopefully this is the case. As far as I can recall, DMC4 was a pretty close call; hope RE5 is the same.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
My demo freezes just after the first cutscene, with the beheading. I can play the other section just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

My concern is that I got this PS3 today, and wonder if I got a lemon from Amazon.

Goreomedy said:
My demo freezes just after the first cutscene, with the beheading. I can play the other section just fine. Anyone else have this issue?

My concern is that I got this PS3 today, and wonder if I got a lemon from Amazon.

nope.. no problems wit that...

Goreomedy said:

redownload

Sidzed2 said:
I read an article on Kotaku a little while back which expressed the sentiments re: ps3 version's framerate in the demo areas, before going on to add that when the writer saw additional levels from the full game that the ps3 and 360 versions looked nigh on identical.

Hopefully this is the case. As far as I can recall, DMC4 was a pretty close call; hope RE5 is the same.

jesus-praying.jpg

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Wow the Wii has spoiled me! :( You'd think after beating the Gamecube version of RE4 a few times that I'd be able to go back to the standard controls, even after the Wii version.

This shit is SOO much harder now. Son of a bitch!

Edit: And this damn bitch needs to get OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY!! My GOD I thought Ashley was annoying!

Teknoman

RurouniZel said:
Wow the Wii has spoiled me! :( You'd think after beating the Gamecube version of RE4 a few times that I'd be able to go back to the standard controls, even after the Wii version.

This shit is SOO much harder now. Son of a bitch!

Edit: And this damn bitch needs to get OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY!! My GOD I thought Ashley was annoying!

Press O. Or...hold O and press up/down.

Raist

Banned
Ok, just tried it...

Can't shoot while moving ? wtf is this shit.

And controlling Chris feels like moving the Edelweiss in Valkyria Chronicles.

Do no want.

Teknoman

Raist said:
Ok, just tried it...

Can't shoot while moving ? wtf is this shit.

And controlling Chris feels like moving the Edelweiss in Valkyria Chronicles.

Do no want.

And I quote:

"Takeuchi's keen to remind us that RE5 is, first and foremost, a horror game, not a first person shooter. This isnt about running and gunning a la Gears of War; There's still an element of fear gained from planting your feet and remaining steady to draw a bead on an enemy."

I didnt say it, James Mielke did.

MechDX

Teknoman said:
And I quote:

"Takeuchi's keen to remind us that RE5 is, first and foremost, a horror game, not a first person shooter. This isnt about running and gunning a la Gears of War; There's still an element of fear gained from planting your feet and remaining steady to draw a bead on an enemy."

Then they need to compare it to a game in the same genre. Dead Space comes to mind....

Nikorasu

RESIDENT EVIL HAS TANK CONTROLS! NEWS AT 11!

Seriously why are so many people shocked at this? Really what were you expecting? If you've never played an RE in your life I can see why it would be off-putting, but then why are people acting like capcom murdered your dog? It's not like the fact hasn't been trumpeted to the heavens every single time a game is released.

sentry65 said:
so, uh do some people still think RE5 looks better than killzone 2?

Why you gotta do this shit, gaf?

Volcynika

Nikorasu said:

Seriously why are so many people shocked at this? Really what were you expecting? If you've never played an RE in your life I can see why it would be off-putting, but then why are people acting like capcom murdered your dog? It's not like the fact hasn't been trumpeted to the heavens every single time a game is released.

Capcom turned my dog into a zombie dog!

I love the controls

paparazzo

Ok, I think I suck at this game badly but the game controls so badly. No shooting while walking? :lol This is 2009, right? I've tried the first level three or four times but still cannot finish it. Zombies are bullet sponges it seems and you're given so little ammo, and expected to kill every guy while healing Sheva.

Pass

Raist

Banned
Teknoman said:
And I quote:

RE isn't a horror game anymore, since a couple of episodes. It's first and foremost an action game. How is it not when the game throws dozens of ennemies at your face ?
And the fact that it's not an FPS doesn't excuse the lack of moving+shooting.
I guess Uncharted spoiled me.

Redd

Been spoiled lately with better controlled games besides the game would be easier if I didn't have to worry about Sheva all the time. It's more fun for me when I Co-op in the demo.

Volcynika

Raist said:
RE isn't a horror game anymore, since a couple of episodes. It's first and foremost an action game. How is it not when the game throws dozens of ennemies at your face ?

Too bad Uncharted shoved the combat so far down my throat I got sick of it.

Teknoman

The Skater said:
Ok, I think I suck at this game badly but the game controls so badly. No shooting while walking? :lol This is 2009, right? I've tried the first level three or four times but still cannot finish it. Zombies are bullet sponges it seems and you're given so little ammo, and expected to kill every guy while healing Sheva.

Pass

Umm...someone else wanna take this one?

Raist said:

Well the only time you'll probably encounter that many is when they dont want you to shoot everything that moves. Those sections are meant for you to just stay alive. Maybe im finding it hard to relate since in Uncharted and Gears I never walked toward or away an enemy and shot at the same time.

Nikorasu said:

Because we are looking for improvements and expansions of old ideas, not counter-intuitive tank controls after 13 years

Lince

Banned
"Takeuchi's keen to remind us that RE5 is, first and foremost, a horror game, not a first person shooter.

horror game? seriously? try action game with zombies, PS3 version huge installation data shall be the only horror we will be facing in this game. REmake is the only RE game with the right setting and creepy atmosphere of a proper "horror game"... RE5 is Gears of Zombies with 13 years old tank controls.

edit: holy shit, 5 GB of data? same as PC but with 1/3 of the framerate and half the resolution, well done Capcom... I mean, what's the secret of Guerrilla / Naughty Dog / Criterion and their impressive games not pre-installing anything to the HDD??

paparazzo

Volcynika said:
Shoot them in the head!

*insert MC Pee Pants Kingdom Hearts 2 / Resident Evil 4 rant*
I try but the aiming is way too slow. Plus it seems like a shot in the head isn't enough.

Rolf NB

BeautifulMemory said:
Because we are looking for improvements and expansions of old ideas, not counter-intuitive tank controls after 13 years
Then just let this game be this game and wait for Uncharted or something.

Raist

Banned
Nikorasu said:

Seriously why are so many people shocked at this? Really what were you expecting?

That the controls would have been adapted to the gameplay ?
RE had tank controls. SH2 had tank controls. But you didn't run into 10 ennemies in 2 secs.

Here, you're trapped in a small room, there are, what, 20-30 zombies coming, (not even counting the huge axe dude, who is a fucking pain to dodge), coming from every window/door, you can't move while shooting, and it takes ages to turn 90° (and yes, I've cranked the rotation speed all the way up). Same goes for those Mutalisk like flying stuff, it moves quite fast and your character is incredibly slow.

todahawk

Alright, been watching and reading the threads and was a bit worried...

Fired up the demo after dinner and tried D style controls first and died after trying to get to some high ground. The controls were pretty frustrating... at first.

Tried again with A type and it didn't feel right. Switched back to D and jacked up aim speed to fastest. Died once more and third try made it to the end cut scene.

Tried the shanty mission and breezed through, killing chainsaw dude first try. Played co-op online with some random dude on shanty and we breezed through for the most part. Shared our herbs and ammo, had some fun.

RE5 felt very comfortable and the controls were a non-issue after a couple of play-throughs. I had zero framerate issues and I was looking for them.

Game is a blast, graphics look really nice. RE4 strats work for the most part. Just be methodical. Shoot for the knees and move in quick for the melee. Same with the bosses. Gotta be quick on the melee though.

I have no idea why all the hate. I was very skeptical but it's a must buy, day one.

Nikorasu

BeautifulMemory said:

Once I got acclimated to the new partner and inventory system I thought they were pretty great improvements on the old formula and still made sense within the mechanics of the overall series. The controls are fine because they work. If I was able to strafe and run circles around the enemies I wouldn't have felt half the level of tension that it's going for.

Dead Space comparison doesn't really work. They're both 3rd person shooters, but they go for a different type of horror. DS elicits it's scares from the oppressive atmosphere. Without the setting it wouldn't be half as frightening. RE as a series has never done this kind of horror. It has always been about fighting powerful enemies with limited ammo and mobility in confined spaces. As I said before, if you change that too much, you might as well ditch the series and make a new one. That's how DMC was born out of RE4's development.

Teknoman

Raist said:
That the controls would have been adapted to the gameplay ?
RE had tank controls. SH2 had tank controls. But you didn't run into 10 ennemies in 2 secs.

Here, you're trapped in a small room, there are, what, 20-30 zombies coming, (not even counting the huge axe dude, who is a fucking pain to dodge), coming from every window/door, you can't move while shooting, and it takes ages to turn 90° (and yes, I've cranked the rotation speed all the way up). Same goes for those Mutalisk like flying stuff, it moves quite fast and your character is incredibly slow.

Umm jump out of the window and run away, collecting stuff along the way. Afterwards take out what you can while surviving? Block the windows with shelves to stock up on what you can. Hold your ground till Axexcutioner comes through, lure him into the building (he'll bust through anyway), then book it to the other side of the area/higher ground.

Its not that hard, and the axe dude is pretty easy to dodge. Also you gotta use your melee attacks (punches, flip kicks, uppercuts, etc) and know when to kill something or when to just down/stagger it.

Volcynika

The Skater said:
I try but the aiming is way too slow. Plus it seems like a shot in the head isn't enough.

Please tell me you know about the melee strikes. And up your sensitivity, it's not that slow.

Top Bottom