• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Definitive word on PS3 demo date for Resident Evil 5 / RE5 ? (banish me if old)

sprocket

Banned
what weird is that the ps3 version seems to have higher contrast and color saturation than the 360 version. Its usually the other way around.

Erebus

Teknoman said:
Umm jump out of the window and run away, collecting stuff along the way. Afterwards take out what you can while surviving? Block the windows with shelves to stock up on what you can. Hold your ground till Axexcutioner comes through, lure him into the building (he'll bust through anyway), then book it to the other side of the area/higher ground.

Its not that hard, and the axe dude is pretty easy to dodge. Also you gotta use your melee attacks (punches, flip kicks, uppercuts, etc) and know when to kill something or when to just down/stagger it.

^That's the right way to play RE5. Seriously some people are just doing it wrong and they blame the game's controls for their fault.

Teknoman

sprocket said:
what weird is that the ps3 version seems to have higher contrast and color saturation than the 360 version. Its usually the other way around.

Yup.

Wish I could find that clip from Degeneration where Leon schools some SRT guy on how to kill zombies and not waste ammo.

todahawk

Teknoman said:
Umm jump out of the window and run away, collecting stuff along the way. Afterwards take out what you can while surviving? Block the windows with shelves to stock up on what you can. Hold your ground till Axexcutioner comes through, lure him into the building (he'll bust through anyway), then book it to the other side of the area/higher ground.

Its not that hard, and the axe dude is pretty easy to dodge. Also you gotta use your melee attacks (punches, flip kicks, uppercuts, etc) and know when to kill something or when to just down/stagger it.

I'll second that. And if you have a free second use the knife on nearby objects. I was surprised to find a grenade under the pile of fruit in the very first room of assembly. Lots of goodies sprinkled around. There's also a building over to the far left of the decapitation platform that had a ton of ammo and supplies.

Nikorasu

Teknoman said:

Yeah, it's not about running and gunning, because you can't. You have to use the environment and position yourself to do the most damage to the largest number of enemies. If you get swamped, run away. Bait enemies into choke points. It really isn't difficult at all, once you get it. Difficult != broken. Is it really a problem with the game if you can't adapt to the challenge it presents you?

Raist

Banned
Teknoman said:

Never said it was hard, beat the first level after 2 tries, and the second one on my first try. But IMO the controls don't feel right for the kind of gameplay they're making now.
I miss the good ole RE I guess.

Aaanyway. Looks really, really good, sound could be improved, and AI is so-so. Haven't tried co-op yet.

Nikorasu

Raist said:
That the controls would have been adapted to the gameplay ?
RE had tank controls. SH2 had tank controls. But you didn't run into 10 ennemies in 2 secs.

Also, I have to add, they did adapt the controls to the gameplay. Moving the camera behind the shoulder and giving you free aim is perfect compensation for the more numerous/mobile enemies.

fernoca

Or even easier..
The moment "Axedude" appears..just run, get inside the bus..and just shoot any "ganado" that comes close.."Axedude" will just walk around and do nothing...while the "ganado" can just be killed by shooting in the knees and a melee attack.

Erebus

Teknoman said:
Yup.

Wish I could find that clip from Degeneration where Leon schools some SRT guy on how to kill zombies and not waste ammo.

You mean this? There is also another part a few minutes later that Leon scolds him.

Volcynika

fernoca said:
Or even easier..
The moment "Axedude" appears..just run, get inside the bus..and just shoot any "ganado" that comes close.."Axedude" will just walk around and do nothing...while the "ganado" can just be killed by shooting in the knees and a melee attack.

This ain't RE4! :p

dyls

fernoca said:
Or even easier..

Yeah, the moment I realized that the Axe guy couldn't fit in the bus, and that the villagers would politely file in one by one after getting stuck on the door for a few seconds, I was wildly disappointed. Talk about crushing a tense moment. The only difficult part was keeping my idiot AI partner from wasting all of my ammo.

I'm still mostly optimistic, but they had BETTER take out any bullshit safe zones from the real game. RE4 was wonderful because you could never quite be safe, especially in the village. There was always a blind spot you had to cover.

Rolf NB

greenjerk said:
Alright, been watching and reading the threads and was a bit worried...

Fired up the demo after dinner and tried D style controls first and died after trying to get to some high ground. The controls were pretty frustrating... at first.

Tried again with A type and it didn't feel right. Switched back to D and jacked up aim speed to fastest. Died once more and third try made it to the end cut scene.

Tried the shanty mission and breezed through, killing chainsaw dude first try. Played co-op online with some random dude on shanty and we breezed through for the most part. Shared our herbs and ammo, had some fun.

RE5 felt very comfortable and the controls were a non-issue after a couple of play-throughs. I had zero framerate issues and I was looking for them.

Game is a blast, graphics look really nice. RE4 strats work for the most part. Just be methodical. Shoot for the knees and move in quick for the melee. Same with the bosses. Gotta be quick on the melee though.

I have no idea why all the hate. I was very skeptical but it's a must buy, day one.
I hereby propose to the assembled that "of herb-sharing" be made part of the official thread title, if any "of" clause will be produced at all.

jett

D-Member
Volcynika said:
Please tell me you know about the melee strikes. And up your sensitivity, it's not that slow.

It's retarded that you have to shoot them once in the head, and then run up to them for a melee strike. GIVE ME MORE FUCKING AMMO CRAPCOM

Just played it. While I liked the sense of fear being in a tight place with enemies swarming I didn't like the stiffness. I know some of you are saying "it's the player, not the controls..." but let's be real. The controls are pretty stiff.

I'll try it again later. Hopefully I'll find out how to dodge roll or juke around (I'm guessing neither exist but seems kind of silly. That's like watching a horror movie and watching the characters NOT try and defend themselves).

sprocket

Banned
I think some of you just want a WIN BUTTON added to the game. Its a challenging game deal with it!

I personally love the new layering they have. It adds a lot more depth to the game. I mena you can either survive the stage, kill a shit load of enemies and game a lot of ammo and items, or totally own the stage and do all that and kill the big bad mofos.

Shouta

dyls said:
I'm still mostly optimistic, but they had BETTER take out any bullshit safe zones from the real game. RE4 was wonderful because you could never quite be safe, especially in the village. There was always a blind spot you had to cover.

Well, there were numerous semi-safe points throughout RE4. Not totally safe but it'd minimize danger by quite a bit. I don't doubt RE5 will have some just so players can take advantage of it if they find it on their first run. Can just not go there on your subsequent runs through.

It's weird, I've been swamped with these rookie RE players (seriously felt like I was on Xbox Live, 12 years old most likely) who kept bitching about the controls AND kept snatching up all the supplies. Always hit the opposite end; grenades, exploding barrels and gas cans. Melee and knife almost exclusively!! I was on the fence with this one but after giving co-op a try these past few days I've decided I'm grabbing this and beating this bitch through co-op!

MercuryLS

Banned
Surfheart said:
Wow the backlash is incredible, I thought with all the Gaf love for RE4 this game would be ascending to heaven.

GAF is fickle.

Man I remember making a thread on how much I hate RE4's controls and getting flamed to hell and back.

Now all the RE-controls haters come out the woodwork, where the fuck were you when I needed you!

GAF = hivemind.

Edit: For the record I like RE5's controls a lot more (Type D is as close as I'm going to get to Gears-like controls, and that's cool with me). Also online co-op is the shit. Day 1 for me, this is the first RE I've ever really anticipated. I wish Capcom would allow strafing in the aim mode just to shut people up.

No_Style

MercuryLS said:
GAF is fickle.

Man I remember making a thread on how much I hate RE4's controls and getting flamed to hell and back.

Now all the RE-controls haters come out the woodwork, where the fuck were you when I needed you!

GAF = hivemind.

I loved RE4's controls when I played the game in 2005. Now with RE5, I'll tolerate it, but I wished they kept up with the times.

You could say you were ahead of the curve...

P.S - Tekno, did you get my invite? :(

Teknoman

No_Style said:
I loved RE4's controls when I played the game in 2005. Now with RE5, I'll tolerate it, but I wished they kept up with the times.

Just noticed I had more than one after getting one from Volcynika. Seems like its taking longer than it should to join though.

Everyone with a PS3 needs this headset though.

No_Style

Teknoman said:
Just noticed I had more than one after getting one from Volcynika. Seems like its taking longer than it should to join though.

All good. Bro is playing COD:WaW now anyways.

Funny enough, my first try with the online co-op worked perfectly. Everything worked smoothly except for the fact that my co-op partner was kind of a loon and died. Subsequent tries failed to connect, so I gave up.

calder

I was expecting a bit of an adjustment as I got used to RE style controls again, but holy shit I'm stunned at how much I hated the controls the first time I played the demo. :0 It's been a while since I played RE4, but even though I remember taking a half hour to get used to the control scheme in 4 I don't remember absolutely despising the controls to the point I wanted to drop it, but that's how the demo is making me feel. :|

Teknoman

No_Style said:
All good. Bro is playing COD:WaW now anyways.

Funny enough, my first try with the online co-op worked perfectly. Everything worked smoothly except for the fact that my co-op partner was kind of a loon and died. Subsequent tries failed to connect, so I gave up.

Invite system does need a bit of work. Also the whole XMB overlay color remaining when you host.

Nikorasu

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Just played it. While I liked the sense of fear being in a tight place with enemies swarming I didn't like the stiffness. I know some of you are saying "it's the player, not the controls..." but let's be real. The controls are pretty stiff.

I'll try it again later. Hopefully I'll find out how to dodge roll or juke around (I'm guessing neither exist but seems kind of silly. That's like watching a horror movie and watching the characters NOT try and defend themselves).

You're not supposed to dodge and juke around enemies. You gotta be constantly on the offensive. If enemies are too close you SHOOT EM IN THE HEAD AND ROUNDHOUSE THE FUCK OUT OF EM! Make a hole then run your ass off.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
No_Style said:

what Time?, the 3rd person controls people are asking of RE5 existed before RE4....

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I initially tried playing the demo with Type A controls and died really fast. I never played RE4 with a Dualshock (GC and Wii versions) so it felt really weird to me. I switched to Type D and upped the aiming speed to Fastest and cleared both sections of the demo without dying. This game is RE4-2 and I love it.

MercuryLS

Banned
calder said:
I was expecting a bit of an adjustment as I got used to RE style controls again, but holy shit I'm stunned at how much I hated the controls the first time I played the demo. :0 It's been a while since I played RE4, but even though I remember taking a half hour to get used to the control scheme in 4 I don't remember absolutely despising the controls to the point I wanted to drop it, but that's how the demo is making me feel. :|

I don't understand how people didn't find the controls to be shit in RE4, we had dual analogue controls since 2001 and after playing tons of games with great controls, playing RE4 was a like a chore. The controls were dated in 2004, I've come to accept them now with RE5 thanks to control Type D. It's not ideal, but at least it's tolerable now IMO.

Pojo

Banned
I absolutely loved the demo. Online co-op is a blast. I think it'll be my most replayed single player campaign ever.

I do hope that we can custom tailor the controls in the final version. I find type A ALMOST to my liking, but I'd like L1 to be aim. Dunno. The Gamecube version felt perfect.

LM4sure

Banned
The demo is great. I really liked it, except for the control scheme. And unfortunately I doubt that this game will match the perfection that was RE4.

MercuryLS said:
I don't understand how people didn't find the controls to be shit in RE4, we had dual analogue controls since 2001 and after playing tons of games with great controls, playing RE4 was a like a chore. The controls were dated in 2004, I've come to accept them now with RE5 thanks to control Type D. It's not ideal, but at least it's tolerable now IMO.
Because we were coming off the controls/camera of the previous Resident Evil games. By the time we got to REmake and RE0 they were basically unplayable to me. RE4 brought me back to the franchise.

Nikorasu

~Devil Trigger~ said:
what Time?, the 3rd person controls people are asking of RE5 existed before RE4....

Exactly, and 'point in the direction you want to move' existed long before RE1. That's just the way the series is. Critics of the series have been saying the same thing since it began. Just keep walking.

RoboPlato said:
I initially tried playing the demo with Type A controls and died really fast. I never played RE4 with a Dualshock (GC and Wii versions) so it felt really weird to me. I switched to Type D and upped the aiming speed to Fastest and cleared both sections of the demo without dying. This game is RE4-2 and I love it.

I had almost the same experience as you, only I had to overcome 3 runs of Dead Space as well. Trying to readjust to shoot-shoot-knife/melee was more of a workout than I thought it would be :lol

The demo was perfect: Short enough to not spoil the game but with enough fat to get a grip on the mechanics. Day one.

Teknoman

Retail version had better fix this XMB grey washout after invite crap. I know its an older build than the 360 demo, but still...if its bothering me, I know it's bothering newcomers.

Neiteio

Played the PS3 demo today. First I played both levels in single-player, then Shanty on splitscreen co-op.

It's a great game. If you switch immediately to Type A and jack up the aiming sensitivity all the way, it feels close to RE4, but not identical. Even at the fastest turning speed, Chris is a tighter "tank," although this is not necessarily a bad thing, it just requires a tad adjustment leaning into turns for the guy fresh off of RE4.

There are other bits that feel off, though, at least in this out-of-context demo that may or may not be an earlier build. Gunshots feel spongier, and I think it's because the enemies don't whip about or corkscrew through the air as dramatically when hit, diminishing the sense of impact. To say it another way, enemies seem to absorb bullets better, and with more enemies coming from all directions it can feel like you're firing at a wall.

Another issue is the setting. Gritty, gritty, gritty -- and arguably artless. I'm a bit tired of the sun-bleached slums and urban warfare of so many games today. It seems like just yesterday we visited a similar setting at the beginning of MGS4, and these scenarios are depicted to the point of redundancy on real-life newscasts everyday. I long for the cold wilderness and Gothic trappings of RE4's Spain; it was creepy and atmospheric and did more for the imagination, fostering a greater dread of the unknown, a sense of "What lies in the forest?" But I suppose that's a matter of personal preference.

RE5 is fun so far, though. I was kicking ass left and right like the good ol' days, and I never felt the need to dodge or strafe. The plethora of context-sensitive commands are great, and Sheva is PERFECT; she never got in the way, when she does she's immune to your bullets so it hardly matters anyway, and she frequently supplied me with ammo or sprayed me with herbs, and even picked off enemies attacking me from the opposite side of the map. She never died, either (well, until my brother played as her and met Mr. Chainsaw). I'm very impressed with Sheva's AI, although the AI of the baddies in the demo leaves something to be desired.

All in all, it seems good. Certainly looks good. I think this one has a bit of promise.

No puzzles = ;_;

I understand that it would just tedious for you and your co-op partner after the first play-through, but jesus balls was I looking forward to some puzzle solving after all that straightforward shooting crap in Left 4 Dead.

Nikorasu

Sheva is awesome. I just found out you can hold circle and tap up to put her on the offensive and use any powerful weapons she has in her inventory. It was hilarious telling her to attack and she enthusiastically charged right into a huge pack of enemies+executioner and started roundhouse kicking everyone to the floor.

The aiming definitely takes some getting used to after 4. There is a deadzone where movement slows down, then accelerates when you hit the edges and start to turn. In 4 it was just a constant speed.

Crisis

Banned
RE5 is fucking terrible. If you're going to force me to play with a partner make sure she's not so fucking stupid. She continues to prevent me from backing up and always makes certain to stay DIRECTLY BEHIND ME.

No_Style

~Devil Trigger~ said:

Taking a few lessons from the likes of Dead Space would have done wonders.

But like I said, I can deal with it. :)

Top Bottom