• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Malakhov

Banned
Just beat the game, this was my first souls game. It is definitely up there in my all time gaming experiences, there is something special about that game, very special.

So proud to have beaten it without calling for help, even though sometimes I came so close to it!

Next up is elden ring đź’Ş

Malakhov

Banned
Dark Souls takes everything from Demon’s and makes it better. Don’t be put off by the old graphics. It’s bigger, better, more expansive and far deeper.
Will give them a try eventually but now I need some light-hearted game, this was intense

I've got spiderman remastered, tsushima or valhalla next on the list

FunkMiller

So got done with my first playthrough, and while I thoroughly enjoyed the minute to minute gameplay, there are aspects of Demon's Souls that really are showing their age eleven years after its initial release, and when compared to the more modern From Software games, it does come up short in a few areas. Bosses are too easy and simplistic - I would have liked to see Bluepoint make some update tweaks. The whole experience is very linear, with none of those patented From optional areas that add such a rich layer to the subsequent games.

However, this was the first Souls game and should be regarded as such. There's so much to love and enjoy about it. It's just that all those things are arguably refined, and done better in the games that followed it. I can totally understand why Bluepoint chose to alter nothing about the game experience other than the graphics and sound, but can't help thinking it might have been something of a missed opportunity to make some improvements that would have fleshed the game out even more in 2020.

I'll return for another run through at some point, but will now move onto other games for the minute.

Umbasa.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What's the easiest way to get moonshadestone to upgrade my Falchion?

Currently beat 1-1 , 1-2, 2-1, working on 3-1

Like Miller said, you go to 4-2, drop onto the reaper, kill him, pick it up and reset. It's also a great soul farm at the same time, and when you run out to reset, the vendor in the corridor actually sells them for 3k a pop as well, so it's super quick.

The patches pit under the reaper also has a bunch of chunks and you need to go down there to get an NPC anyway.

Rolla

Banned
Just beat the Tower King and I'm returning to the Nexus for the first time to level up. I didn't understand the levelling, or even how to access the leveling system, so I beat tower king completely under powered and ill equipped. But I damn near jumped out of my seat when the particle effect kicked in and he vamoosed.

Also this is terrifying!

McjU2WF.jpg

Not since PT have I said "Nope" so loud or so often while gaming. The haptics implementation here is insane!!! It really adds another layer to the immersion. Like the way they Increase feedback as the dragon approaches is difficult to explain but it's something I'm recommending to everyone. it's almost as if this thing is breathing down your neck :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

The combination of the visuals and audio fidelity has me holding onto the DualSense tight, like something in real life depends on it.

For now I'm safe in the Nexus. I need to read up on leveling before I dive back in. There's simply no way I'm tackling a third level with basic/base level stats.

GymWolf

it's alot more convoluted then later games. You gotta go to Blacksmith Ed and give him the soul from Red Hot Demon's Soul from Flamelurker. From there you'll be able to craft from certain boss souls. I would suggest a guide for the combinations for the weapons as each requires a different base weapon and some have to be leveled up to a specific level.
I already fucked up the flameduder but i have no option to give his soul to the blacksmith...i'm gonna check again later.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
Is there anyway I could convince one of you who owns both Demon souls and a blue ray player to try and rip the files? I wanted to see if it was possible to extract the textures.

Just beat the Tower King and I'm returning to the Nexus for the first time to level up. I didn't understand the levelling, or even how to access the leveling system, so I beat tower king completely under powered and ill equipped. But I damn near jumped out of my seat when the particle effect kicked in and he vamoosed.

Also this is terrifying!

McjU2WF.jpg

Not since PT have I said "Nope" so loud or so often while gaming. The haptics implementation here is insane!!! It really adds another layer to the immersion. Like the way they Increase feedback as the dragon approaches is difficult to explain but it's something I'm recommending to everyone. it's almost as if this thing is breathing down your neck :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying: :messenger_loudly_crying:

:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_:messenger_grimmacing_

The combination of the visuals and audio fidelity has me holding onto the DualSense tight, like something in real life depends on it.

For now I'm safe in the Nexus. I need to read up on leveling before I dive back in. There's simply no way I'm tackling a third level with basic/base level stats.

I remember that feeling! I gotta tell you, the more you play, the more you'll respect it! Take your time! It's packed with big moments, so put one foot in front of the other and enjoy.

In an industry where we all protect a company with a good heart, there's something really incredible here. When lightning gets put in a bottle, it can be understated during a launch period. Almost everything went absolutely right in bringing this old PS3 game back.

We're all spoiled by BluePoint to get a classic at launch like this.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I already fucked up the flameduder but i have no option to give his soul to the blacksmith...i'm gonna check again later.

It has to be Blacksmith Ed in the 2nd world (2-1). If you have the shortcut elevator unlocked it takes you down to him. Exhaust his dialogue, leave conversation, and speak to him again and you should be able to give the soul to him then (needs to be in your inventory).

Last edited:

GymWolf

It has to be Blacksmith Ed in the 2nd world (2-1). If you have the shortcut elevator unlocked it takes you down to him. Exhaust his dialogue, leave conversation, and speak to him again and you should be able to give the soul to him then (needs to be in your inventory).
Yeah i know the second blacksmith, i unlocked him like 15 hours ago.

I'm gonna check later, maybe i didn't talked to him after beating the flameduder even if i remember differently...

Sinthor

Gold Member
I can't summon anyone at the king's tower.

I'm in human form. There is nobody.
What level is your character. I've noticed that at least so far the peak times for people being online and being able to be summons is about 3P-10PM EST. Other than that, it can be a bit lonely. This game also basically encourages people to play in soul form and you kind of have to purposefully focus on getting summoned if you want to, since you have to go kill yourself each time to get into soul form to be able to be summoned. One of the quirks of this earliest souls game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Beat the game on NG+. Very high difficulty curve, but I was pure white everywhere and my Northern Regalia was doing double damage. 540 attack. TBH, its the best weapon in the game and i really dont see a reason to use anything else with the spread out stats i have. None of the other weapons even come close. The fact that it has no real scaling with stats is actually a good thing because you can just go with a vitality build and just tank every hit.

On NG+2, I beat the tower knight with the blueblood sword and light weapon, and it was very very quick so thats also a good option.

My favorite thing to do is own bosses with the firestorm ability in coop. It sucks that not a lot of people are summoning right now, but whenever I get summoned, I just destroy bosses even without the Ally ring.

For Demon Souls newbies, this is how you can double if not triple your damage.

- Old Monk Hat - You can get it from the old monk boss fight if you invade someone else in the boss room and beat them or if they die on the way there.
- Kris Blade - Having this in your left hand while you cast spells increases you damage.
- Insanity Catalyst - Old Monk Boss Soul weapon upgrade. Halves you mana but drastically increases your damage.
- Ring of Magical Sharpness - Increases Magic damage but also makes you receive more damage. old monk hat does this too so be very careful against magic bosses.
- Ally's Ring - Adds 20% damage when you coop.

You might actually one shot bosses with firestorm. It's that good and so much fun destroying harder bosses.

FunkMiller

What level is your character. I've noticed that at least so far the peak times for people being online and being able to be summons is about 3P-10PM EST. Other than that, it can be a bit lonely. This game also basically encourages people to play in soul form and you kind of have to purposefully focus on getting summoned if you want to, since you have to go kill yourself each time to get into soul form to be able to be summoned. One of the quirks of this earliest souls game.

I tried to be a summon for Allant earlier. Got to the fog gate, host walked through... and the lift started going back down again with me still in it.

giphy.gif

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Yeah i know the second blacksmith, i unlocked him like 15 hours ago.

I'm gonna check later, maybe i didn't talked to him after beating the flameduder even if i remember differently...
Once you meet him the first time you should also talk to his brother in the nexus again. He has new dialog after this.

I think just after that you are able to give him the soul.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Lol i didn't even notice that i have like 40 objects to regain MPs in my inventory...i can finally obliterate the mp regen ring from my build đź•ş

Only 2 ring is rough, almost no room for changes if you are in spirit form most of the time and you have to use the ring that gave you more hp to not get oneshotted:ROFLMAO:

Con-Z-epT

Just beat the game, this was my first souls game. It is definitely up there in my all time gaming experiences, there is something special about that game, very special.

So proud to have beaten it without calling for help, even though sometimes I came so close to it!

Next up is elden ring đź’Ş
Glad you liked it!

Try Bloodborne. Turst me. Its just so good.
It was my first souls game and is the best experience i had on PS4.

I can also easily recommend the Dark Souls series or Sekiro.

Con-Z-epT

Lol i didn't even notice that i have like 40 objects to regain MPs in my inventory...i can finally obliterate the mp regen ring from my build đź•ş

Only 2 ring is rough, almost no room for changes if you are in spirit form most of the time and you have to use the ring that gave you more hp to not get oneshotted:ROFLMAO:
Fragrant Ring is realy helpfull in the early game.
But once you get more mana it takes ages to replenish mana with the ring.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Is there a PVP boss in Demon's Souls? Can you disconnect internet and get AI?
Yes, the boss in 3-3 is another player. If you go into "offline" mode you get the AI opponent. Still not a pushover, but real players are definitely tougher. Well, depending on their experience level, of course.

Nymphae

Banned
Old Monk can be a PvP boss if you play online.

If nobody is online or you play offline it will be controlled by the AI.

Sweet. Not sure I feel like playing PVP dicks as a boss fight, I don't mind the invader stuff but I don't like the idea of real players as bosses being mandatory, will likely unplug for those

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Sweet. Not sure I feel like playing PVP dicks as a boss fight, I don't mind the invader stuff but I don't like the idea of real players as bosses being mandatory, will likely unplug for those
It is interesting because it works both ways.

YOU could also be the boss! Think about it...

Also when you control the old monk you can use all the spells you have. I think.

It is also not mandatory. It can happen if play online.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
It is interesting because it works both ways.

YOU could also be the boss! Think about it...

Also when you control the old monk you can use all the spells you have. I think.

I don't want to troll players though, I just want to progress through the game! I get why some people would enjoy PVP but I don't want it in my single player, I like how Bloodborne worked in that regard.

Con-Z-epT

I don't want to troll players though, I just want to progress through the game! I get why some people would enjoy PVP but I don't want it in my single player, I like how Bloodborne worked in that regard.
You do get a powerful hat if you play as the boss and defeat the host.

johntown

Banned
Yeah sadly there are some trolls in the community that only want to grief other players (these are usually Twitch streamers). The majority of players will give you a fair fight.

When I play the Old Monk if it is 1 v 1 then I play fair, I won't heal or use second chance etc. If they summon a phantom then all bets are off and anything goes. I want to give players a challenge but still be fair and try to emulate the offline boss fight to a degree.

Unlike other souls games which were designed more for offline players.....Demon's Souls is designed for online play and if you don't want to play online then the game is made harder for you since you only get 50% health in soul form.

If only it was like the good old days on the PS3. Invaders would actually bow before fighting and were just looking for PVP and not trolling other for laughs/views.

EDIT: If you want to try PVP just look for what the Scraping Spear and Storm Ruler look like. If you see an invader using those I would disconnect as they only want to troll.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
You do get a powerful hat if you play as the boss and defeat the host.
Just realize as well that every time you beat another player as the Old Monk Boss, you darken your character tendency. At pure black there is a noticeable effect on your max HP and enemies do significantly more damage to you as well. Also, it will affect the output of swords like Demonbrandit and Northern Regalia.

The "safe" way to get the monk's collar and not negatively affect your character tendency is to go and get summoned at very low levels. A lot of people you will be against at that point get killed on the way up to the boss fight. When that happens you "win" and get the Monks collar, but it doesn't affect your tendency. I did this with a low level char and when someone made it in, just practiced my parry's on them till they killed me finally. Then had people get killed on the way up which let me "win" without the negative effects!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I’m on my 4th playthrough with entirely different build and this time I managed to beat Old King Doran without any poison cloud or death cloud.

I just parry his attacks, that’s the only way you can beat him in 1 vs 1 sword fight.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Glad you liked it!

Try Bloodborne. Turst me. Its just so good.
It was my first souls game and is the best experience i had on PS4.

I can also easily recommend the Dark Souls series or Sekiro.
Already downloaded bloodborne with ps+ but will play valhalla and cyberpunk probably next. Thanks for the recommendations!

MrS

Banned
Just finished 1st playthrough. Throroughly enjoyable. Nowhere near as good as Dark Souls or Sekiro though. About on par with Bloodborne in terms of difficulty. 92 meta is way too high imho.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Part 3 of my shitty gameplay and things are getting improved but with big mistakes i make. With a coward style of gameplay against the bosses.

Ar¢tos

Quoting this because it's a vital piece of info.
I don't agree with that order.
After 1-1 and 1-2, I find it easier to do the rest in order (whole 2, whole 3,etc), then 1-3 and 1-4. separating the 3rd boss from the 2nd of each world doesn't make much sense when there is no long travelling needed between them and they aren't more difficult than the boss before.

Con-Z-epT

Just realize as well that every time you beat another player as the Old Monk Boss, you darken your character tendency. At pure black there is a noticeable effect on your max HP and enemies do significantly more damage to you as well. Also, it will affect the output of swords like Demonbrandit and Northern Regalia.

The "safe" way to get the monk's collar and not negatively affect your character tendency is to go and get summoned at very low levels. A lot of people you will be against at that point get killed on the way up to the boss fight. When that happens you "win" and get the Monks collar, but it doesn't affect your tendency. I did this with a low level char and when someone made it in, just practiced my parry's on them till they killed me finally. Then had people get killed on the way up which let me "win" without the negative effects!
Mostly correct but i think that character tendencys do not affect the damage you receive from regular enemies.
Just world tendency.

Not a 100% sure though.

I did the same. I just waited for the mind flayer to do my job. :messenger_grinning:

Ar¢tos

Platinum - 38h. Faster than I expected. And I have to say NG+ games were better than first playthroug. I really had to memorize level, enemy placement and had viabla strategy like when rely on dodges, when block, where just run.
pyRdlfF.jpg
I took around 20h.
My ng+ was a 3-4h speedrun to each boss (except world 4, didn't even go there) + boss cheese kills. Cloak + Thief/Graverobber Ring make speedruns very easy.

2AdEPT

NG+ is so hard! all my OP weapons are barely doing anything, its like NG all over again. magic isn't even a cheap option anymore.

if you aim to do 100% i suggest getting the Black Phantoms during NG as everything is more difficult the more you play.
NG+ is hard confirmed. My Hyper mode player barely takes 500 health off Tower Knight when in NG she took 1600 off False King allant.
What's the easiest way to get moonshadestone to upgrade my Falchion?

Currently beat 1-1 , 1-2, 2-1, working on 3-1
AS others have said the base stone is from the reapers....to get the sword to +5 you will need to beat the 4-3 boss (you dont have to kill the boss per se, but you'll see when you get there) and reset the game 4 times to kill all crystal lizards in the area. They will provide enough chunks and a pure to finish the deal.
Beat the game on NG+. Very high difficulty curve, but I was pure white everywhere and my Northern Regalia was doing double damage. 540 attack. TBH, its the best weapon in the game
I went northern on my first playthrough but then realied I had lots of stats in both str and dex and then I pumed magic a bit and went with meat clever....pretty sure it beats NR at some point later if not sooner. Especially with cursed weapon.

I agree with your list of magic buffs but if you go clever rats ring in addition to magical sharpness and trade out the Kris for morion the true glass cannon is born! You will get double what you have listed there if you go full hyper mode! Of course this isnt for the faint of heart as you wont have any vitality and can be one shot by most attacks. I didnt even bother with firestorm on my Hyper mode playthrough as that wouldnt be fair...fireballs have been doing well enough and its more fun to shoot things than to firestom IMO. Actaully, for those bosses like adudicator that need head shots, and leechmonger where its better to keep your distance, I think fireball was the better choice. Talisman of beasts out performs insanity catalyst if you want to go even faith and magic and get both to 35. For hyper mode it is wise to put on second chance at least as you will have only enough health for one hit, second chance at least gives you two.
Quoting this because it's a vital piece of info.
This one is better than the one earlier in the thread but if you use any magic at all in your playthrough you need spice and the rings from 3-1. I usually go there right after phallanx especially if I want to use magic. For any character the dragon flame sword in 2.2 or crescent falchion cuts through early enemies better than most you will find lying around unupgraded or even half upgraded. There is enough dragon stone lying around 2.2 to get your flame sowrd up to one of the best in the game early. I would do that rigth afer 4.1 where I would get the bow, as you could cheese the 2.1 boss with either bow or magic. The rune shield is a 100% physical and 60% magic shield you can pick up early in 3-2. ALso, I realize this is for new players, but if you go to 4-1, get the bow and skip the level using the skip, kill adjudicator early for lots of souls, then farm reapers, you can have enough souls for any build right away and dont have to fool around the maps grinding soul levels.....this enables you to kill two joke bosses early but leave all others on the map ready for your finshed build. The purple flame shield from area 1-1 will suffice to get you through the skellies in 4-1, as will the rune from 3-2. Also if you want to do a faith build you would go to world 5 first, cheese leechmonger with firebombs, get the moolightsword, faintstone etc. Or if you do a blueblood build I believe the soul you need is from 5 as well. So although this is a general idea for new players, I dont recommend ANY set path as it depends on what equipment you want to find earlier or later. As the boss souls dont tell you what awesome wepaons you get for them, I would look that much up at least then go to the world where the boss soul exists for that weapon THEN start my build with the other bosses.

There is no reason to go to 1-2 early, you need your bow or magic first reagrdless to kill the dragon for souls. the better path IMO for any early player is and especially for a second specific build character:

1.1 pick up heavy purple flame shield, wear thief and cling ring in soul form.
3-1 for spice and 3.2 for lighter rune shield. 3-1 enemies are tough but can be backstabbed (use any weapn you want lying around) and boss is joke puzzle boss and if you take your time and hide in the corner safe spots using ranged you cant lose, might takea coupoe tries. You could get the bow first in 4-1 if you dont like to use magic.
4.1 is ahead of 3.1 if not doing magic; use purple flame shield and hide behind the sheild using piercing weapon like rapier which you start with as royal (dont undervalue the power of the ability to hide beind a hield and poke at the saem time, it wrecks the game almost..it certialy prevented me form rage quitting in the first playthrough)THEN get crescent falchion (you could go to 1-2 just to get the winged spear off the first burnt corpse from the dragon but not do the whole level, you can get a short bow there as well but it isnt as good as the one from 4-1 and I wouldnt waste upgrade stones on it.)
4.2 just the start to farm souls, use skip, kill adjudicator using any method you want, there are lots, he's a joke boss especially for magic users with thief ring on.
2.1 - 2.2 if you dont want to do magic with the falchion get the dragon sword instead. You use your shield and peircing weaopn again on the mobs in 2-1 and use the bow to cheese the boss.

Then you can do what you want! I would suggest tower knight and killing the dragon offline as this will be enough to turn the world white enough to open the side door where you can cheese miralda for the best female arour in the game. I guess you could do this first, but that long run back if you die on tower knight has turned people away from the game more than ay aspect I would wager.

You will stil get a couple tough enemies like the black skeleton in front of adjudctor.....but thats souls. No eney is too togh early tat you cant fiond a strat for them.

Last edited:

LMJ

So as a future PS5 owner and somebody who missed out on the OG Demon Souls, I will certainly grab this, but can any of you fantastic Souls fans tell me if I should whet my teeth with any of the other Souls titles first (i own all on my backlog, Bloodborne too) before I eventually jump in?

Or would they make the originator of the formula too easy?

Con-Z-epT

So as a future PS5 owner and somebody who missed out on the OG Demon Souls, I will certainly grab this, but can any of you fantastic Souls fans tell me if I should whet my teeth with any of the other Souls titles first (i own all on my backlog, Bloodborne too) before I eventually jump in?

Try Bloodborne. It is outstanding.

Dark Souls 3 is also realy cool. But very Long.

I played Dark Souls Remastered about a month ago.
Solid performance!

Nerver tried the second one.

Sekiro is something different. I found it harder.

Non of these will make any other game easy.
You may get used to the Souls games.

Last edited:
Reactions: LMJ

Bramble

About summoning help: are there specific locations where this can be done? When I turned to human form, I could summon help right in front of the Tower Knight mist wall and also in front of the Armored Spider mist wall. But when I turned to human form yesterday in front of the False Idol boss fight, I didn't see any summon signs. Is there a different location in the Prison of Hope where they appear?

Oddspeak

The main purpose in playing them beforehand would be to simply get a feel for the Souls formula. There's some modest changes between each, and they have their own strengths and weaknesses, but they share the same general foundation.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

About summoning help: are there specific locations where this can be done? When I turned to human form, I could summon help right in front of the Tower Knight mist wall and also in front of the Armored Spider mist wall. But when I turned to human form yesterday in front of the False Idol boss fight, I didn't see any summon signs. Is there a different location in the Prison of Hope where they appear?
People usually place summon signs at the start of the level or at the boss gate. If you aren't seeing any it might be because there aren't any, or you are out of the level range for the area.

2AdEPT

Try to do Demons asap, as it is easier, but if you cant wait I would play Dark souls first as it was the first after demons, then All other souls ....waiit for bloodborne a bit, then sekiro last as its the hardest. they generally tried to make each one harder in some way chronologically so that vets could be challenged. Insert bloodborne wherever you want really as it is consideredthe best by many and has slightly different controls. The DLC of Bloodborne is HARD so wait at least until afer dark souls 1 or two and you are gud at those first .

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

I would say either wait, or play DS1. DeS PS5 is a fantastic entry point into the series. The only one that would feel remotely dated afterwards is DS1 I feel, which is a shame, because it's also one of the best overall.

DS2/3 are good, but they become more and more about epic sword fights and less about interesting, weird and unique mechanics and world building.

BB is a masterpiece and Sekiro is up there too, but they're far more energetic games.

Top Bottom