• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

2AdEPT

I don’t know if I have the stomach for a SL1 run in this game. I did it in Dark Souls 3 and it was so much fun, but damn the final boss nearly broke me.
SL1 is not hard as you get to upgrade a weapon at least...Now SL1 no upgrades is another story LOL!

Seriously though, Demon's is much easier to SL1 than other games as the gimmick bosses are easier, there are no two or three stage bosses wit ridiculous amouts of health. This stuff all came in to try to falsely make bosses harder so that vets could still get challenged. For the most part the additions were stupid and lacked creativity iMO. Demon's was the only pure difficulty for boss design as no one had done this stuff before. Dark SOuls with O and S and artorias was really hard , but that was perhpas the last game FROM ever made that was ingeniously difficult for most bosses...many of the rest int he other games seemed cheap difficulty and adding ridiculousnesss rather than intelligent AI to have to overcome. Sekiro was just silly as it discludes 80% of the humans on earth who dont have fast hand eye necessary to do the final boss for example. I could do it, but why? It would have taken me at least 5 hours to learn the attacks for all three stages of the final boss. King Allant takes 20 minutes. He still punishes if you dont learn the attacks, but it doesnt take forever to learn him and do a SL1 even.

Fuck 4-2. Fuck it from here to eternity.

Just got done with it, and I made sure to take the hero very carefully, so I didn't have to go anywhere near it again.
Even though I did this level a hundered times in the old days, and was able to run to the boss speed run style, it still hit me hard upon return here in the remake. Only took a few hours to get it back to cake. Using a bow to separate the enemies on the ledge with thief ring, run away then back stab or run by (they face the other way when they walk back to their spot); then learning the timing for the laser guys enough that you can push the first reaper down the shaft, and then just running by the last one (might have to time a roll to avoid maigc blast).....cake. Run to the boss in <2 minutes? It helps to have the dark silver shield from 5-3, but the Rune shield is good enough to block the laser guys, but you dont need a shield as there is a safe spot on the first laser guy to the rigth along the wall as long as you are rigth up close to him. Then just run by him, the next one is easy to run by and push the reaper off the cliff. The last reaper may require a roll to avoid his magic shot...in the old days it occurred at the exact same spot and could be timed...lately it just seemed blind luck whether I made the roll at the rigth time or not so I just dodged all over and rolled a lot LOL. Died 2 out of 5 I would say with that method LOL.

I don't really get the shortcut for the 4-1 boss.

I mean, I understand the theory, but to go the "long way" isn't exactly hard, it's just running past the Vanguard and 3 slow skeletons, as compared to running past 3 skeletons(one a roller) and pulling off a pretty tricky dodge-roll. I'm not a speedrunner but I've had faster runs with the former than the latter, considering I stop and kill the skeletons on the ramparts and am terrible at hitting the dodge roll just right.
The one roll skelly on top of the bridge can be range cheesed with theif ring easier than the two gold ones on the ledge...its easy to fall off the ledge going the long way even with theif ring and once you know how to roll the shortcut way it becomes a one or two try type of deal, not a 4 or 5.
HELP!!!!

giphy.gif

Why can't I use the resin with the weapons?

When I use a resin, the gentleman puts his hand back and makes a gesture of "surprised" as if he did not have it or as if he could not use it. Do you know what this could be due to? I'm level 30 and haven't managed to use any resin yet.

Thanks in advance.
Only certain weapons can be buffed. Usually if has its own magic or fire damage you cant buff it. There are a few exceptions like blueblood sword for example. Awesome buffable weapons include the dragon bone smasher, meat clever, mirdan hammer, great sword.....once you start upgrading down specialty paths I think even sharp or crushing etc then you cant buff as you are already getting a special bonus for the special upgrade path.

Guess no one knows?
Its likely your aura from wearing a ring, getting mana or health regen from a blessed or crescent weapon, or using a miracle etc.

Last edited:
The one roll skelly on top of the bridge can be range cheesed with theif ring easier than the two gold ones on the ledge...its easy to fall off the ledge going the long way even with theif ring and once you know how to roll the shortcut way it becomes a one or two try type of deal, not a 4 or 5.
It is just as trivial to learn how not to fall of the edge as it is to learn how to do the roll for the shortcut, and if you are that bad at staying on the ledge you have ample opportunity to fall off in the shortcut too.

timmyp53

SL1 is not hard as you get to upgrade a weapon at least...Now SL1 no upgrades is another story LOL!

Seriously though, Demon's is much easier to SL1 than other games as the gimmick bosses are easier, there are no two or three stage bosses wit ridiculous amouts of health. This stuff all came in to try to falsely make bosses harder so that vets could still get challenged. For the most part the additions were stupid and lacked creativity iMO. Demon's was the only pure difficulty for boss design as no one had done this stuff before. Dark SOuls with O and S and artorias was really hard , but that was perhpas the last game FROM ever made that was ingeniously difficult for most bosses...many of the rest int he other games seemed cheap difficulty and adding ridiculousnesss rather than intelligent AI to have to overcome. Sekiro was just silly as it discludes 80% of the humans on earth who dont have fast hand eye necessary to do the final boss for example. I could do it, but why? It would have taken me at least 5 hours to learn the attacks for all three stages of the final boss. King Allant takes 20 minutes. He still punishes if you dont learn the attacks, but it doesnt take forever to learn him and do a SL1 even.

Even though I did this level a hundered times in the old days, and was able to run to the boss speed run style, it still hit me hard upon return here in the remake. Only took a few hours to get it back to cake. Using a bow to separate the enemies on the ledge with thief ring, run away then back stab or run by (they face the other way when they walk back to their spot); then learning the timing for the laser guys enough that you can push the first reaper down the shaft, and then just running by the last one (might have to time a roll to avoid maigc blast).....cake. Run to the boss in <2 minutes? It helps to have the dark silver shield from 5-3, but the Rune shield is good enough to block the laser guys, but you dont need a shield as there is a safe spot on the first laser guy to the rigth along the wall as long as you are rigth up close to him. Then just run by him, the next one is easy to run by and push the reaper off the cliff. The last reaper may require a roll to avoid his magic shot...in the old days it occurred at the exact same spot and could be timed...lately it just seemed blind luck whether I made the roll at the rigth time or not so I just dodged all over and rolled a lot LOL. Died 2 out of 5 I would say with that method LOL.

Only certain weapons can be buffed. Usually if has its own magic or fire damage you cant buff it. There are a few exceptions like blueblood sword for example. Awesome buffable weapons include the dragon bone smasher, meat clever, mirdan hammer, great sword.....once you start upgrading down specialty paths I think even sharp or crushing etc then you cant buff as you are already getting a special bonus for the special upgrade path.

Its likely your aura from wearing a ring, getting mana or health regen from a blessed or crescent weapon, or using a miracle etc.
The buffs look generic. I'll have to check.

Sinthor

Gold Member
The one thing I'm really missing from the PS4 was the ability to locate people you just played an online session with. It was a section like "friends met online" or something. So today, if someone summons me in Demon's Souls, there's no quick way for me to locate them and send them a message saying 'go here' or if they get killed to tell them I've put my sign back down. Not unless I remember their exact user name or use my phone to look them up while we're playing thru a level, which is challenging. Hopefully they'll bring that feature to PS5. I didn't even realize exactly HOW handy it was till playing this game and realizing it wasn't there.

Killer8

I forgot how fucking terrible the Dragon God was. Soul arrowing the rubble is absolutely essential to beating that without have an aneurysm.

BGs

Industry Professional
Depends on which weapons. Weapons that are already enchanted or something like that...can't use resins. For example: the crescent falchion +1 or the blessed mace +1 are already enchanted, so you can't apply buffs or resins to them. I think one exception to this is the meat cleaver, which is a special weapon but DOES allow buffs to apply. Hope this helps!

Thanks!

Last edited:

2AdEPT

The one thing I'm really missing from the PS4 was the ability to locate people you just played an online session with. It was a section like "friends met online" or something. So today, if someone summons me in Demon's Souls, there's no quick way for me to locate them and send them a message saying 'go here' or if they get killed to tell them I've put my sign back down. Not unless I remember their exact user name or use my phone to look them up while we're playing thru a level, which is challenging. Hopefully they'll bring that feature to PS5. I didn't even realize exactly HOW handy it was till playing this game and realizing it wasn't there.
I agree but I keep forgetting to check my initial setup settings...pretty sure I selected somethign like "oly allow friends to access your info" or something like that.I think that might be why I no longer get people messaging me, and perhaps if others liek us selected that setting, we cant get others info as easily either? If I ever remember to go find those settings and change then Ill try to get back to you.
I forgot how fucking terrible the Dragon God was. Soul arrowing the rubble is absolutely essential to beating that without have an aneurysm.
You can also just run through two handing with a bash shield. ALthough you will have to attack ONCE at least it is jus the once and not multiple swings.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PS5 arrived today! Yay, I can finally join you all, so the world might be mended!

Going to be an hour before my PS4 --> PS5 transfer completes, though.

What's the over/under on fidelity vs. performance mode? I'm thinking of just going in on performance mode and not looking back.

TheUsual

Gold Member
PS5 arrived today! Yay, I can finally join you all, so the world might be mended!

What's the over/under on fidelity vs. performance mode? I'm thinking of just going in on performance mode and not looking back.
Stick with performance mode. Tried fidelity after performance mode and immediately switched back.

Sinthor

Gold Member

I can't tell the difference between the two modes. At all. I think whichever one you think is best.

DavidGzz

I don't really get the shortcut for the 4-1 boss.

I mean, I understand the theory, but to go the "long way" isn't exactly hard, it's just running past the Vanguard and 3 slow skeletons, as compared to running past 3 skeletons(one a roller) and pulling off a pretty tricky dodge-roll. I'm not a speedrunner but I've had faster runs with the former than the latter, considering I stop and kill the skeletons on the ramparts and am terrible at hitting the dodge roll just right.

Its really easy, the trick is to roll early. There is a weird hit box during a roll that you can actually hear your character hit.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Mine are working great still. It might just be a faulty unit
Ok...I feel like an idiot now. Check this out and see if you show the same thing on your PS5. I was basing all of this from my headset showing on the PS5 that they were down to two out of three "bars" for battery life. After having them plugged in and charging for at least 3 hours, when I used them in the morning, the PS5 showed just 2 bars still as soon as they came on. Well, I figured I'd use them today and run them down if I'm going to have to return them anyway- right? But after 3-4 hours, when I was done, I plugged them into my computer and.....they are blinking and charging like normal. So what I THINK is happening is that for some reason the PS5 thinks they are down to two bars, but when I plugged the headsets in to charge they are already full so just gave the one blink and that's it. Now they are acting normal. So may just be how the PS5 is "reading" the battery level on the headsets I guess. I mean it's good I don't have to return them! I just feel.....STUPID. :)

It looks amazing in performance mode and 30 fps is awful. I tried cinematic for a few minutes and had to look pretty hard to see any difference in visuals.

peetfeet

I can only assume it will be added soon, how else are we to award 'accolades' if not?

Arthimura

I finished Demon's Souls Remake a hour ago.

What an amazing experience, just as great as it was when i first played on my PS3.

Demon's Souls still is the GOAT.

I'm going to platinum now and do new playthroughs with different builds. I already played against other players by being summoned to the Old Monk fight and i was invaded in the last section of Boletaria (managed to kill the invader). I'm having a blast with the ressurected multiplayer.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
So...this bladestone chunk thing is getting a little ridiculous.

My brother farmed the black skeleton before the adjudicator fight for about an hour and got multiple pure bladestones and all the chunks he needed to take his weapon to +10.

I have killed about 80 of these fuckers and have gotten zero. Not one single chunk. I have 70+ shards. It won't drop anything but shards, soul remains, and sometimes an uchigatana.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Booted it up, and no Japanese language option. Very disappointed considering it's a first party Sony game.

Still, the game looks and runs incredible. Visuals definitely feel like a generation leap and make me excited for what's yet to come.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I'm super far along in my journey at this point, having finally hunted down each of the 5 Black Phantoms that spawn during PBWT. Got the Pure White Character Tendency and the Monumental gave me the Friend's Ring, which is called the Ally's Ring for some reason.

Afterwards I followed the trophy guide to step 4; rescuing/killing Yurt the assassin, then killing each of the friendly NPCs in the 5 worlds. This spawned Mephistopheles, a female assassin who hires you to kill important NPCs in the Nexus, one at a time, and when you report back you get really good loot.

I'm about to beat the game a second time, and going with a Faith build and finding the Moonlight sword has made it a much much easier journey.

All that's left for me to do is kill the endgame bosses and go on to NG+, were I can start farming bosses for souls to complete my miracles/magic lists. Absolutely still in love with this game!

Last edited:

Pejo

My brother farmed the black skeleton before the adjudicator fight for about an hour and got multiple pure bladestones and all the chunks he needed to take his weapon to +10.

I have killed about 80 of these fuckers and have gotten zero. Not one single chunk. I have 70+ shards. It won't drop anything but shards, soul remains, and sometimes an uchigatana.
you farming with the ring and in pure black WT? Sword of searching too, every bit helps.

R6Rider

Gold Member
you farming with the ring and in pure black WT? Sword of searching too, every bit helps.

This is actually incorrect. Raising your luck stat only increases the chance any item at all drops from an enemy. The black skeletons already have a 100% drop rate. It won't increase your chances of getting the more rare items.

Pure Black World Tendency does help, but even then the item drop rate for Pure Bladestone is about 2.5%.

Grinchy

Banned
This is actually incorrect. Raising your luck stat only increases the chance any item at all drops from an enemy. The black skeletons already have a 100% drop rate. It won't increase your chances of getting the more rare items.

Pure Black World Tendency does help, but even then the item drop rate for Pure Bladestone is about 2.5%.
Yep and my brother got 3 or more and tons of chunks. I cant even get one chunk.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Black Phantom at 4-1 was no problem for me just took a handful of parry’s
Parrying is something not enough people (myself included) focus on. It's worth getting a lot of deaths (just zero out your souls first or make sure you recover them!) and take the first enemies on each level to learn their timing and how to parry them. Really turns things in your favor if you can get even decently consistent. On the high end, I've PvP'd a few players that I simply couldn't touch. ANY attack got parried. The worst was one guy who invaded me and kept doing this for over 10 minutes. He never took advantage of the parry...just walked away and we'd circle again till I inevitably tried to hit him...wham! Parry again. I tried switching weapons to small and fast swords, even a dagger...didn't matter. Finally he tired of the game and ended me. Unreal. :) If you learn how to parry it will REALLY help you, especially with Pvp as most people just aren't used to having to worry about getting parried. So when you can do it, it really ruins their day. :)

Pejo

Man, I'm having serious issues picking the build I want to go for. I decided to go mage originally, but I'm not having fun with this one, I feel like I need to get up in some faces. Currently deciding if I want to reroll as high DEX bow + fast weapon character, or a polearm/spear based STR/FAI hybrid. On one hand, I really like the free aim that bow allows for, but on the other hand I really want to use the Large Sword of Moonlight again.

Thoughts GAF?

2AdEPT

As much as I know the actual drop rate doesnt change, I did get a pure in the old game by changing things up, getting the LSOS, going to a differnt area changing tendency etc. then starting the grind again after reloading, got a pure after third drop. I got all kinds of chunks and a pure I never will use in this playthrough lol....was just farming souls. I just dont think its as random as people think, or there wouldnt be so many differing stories. Maybe its just luck. LOL.
Man, I'm having serious issues picking the build I want to go for. I decided to go mage originally, but I'm not having fun with this one, I feel like I need to get up in some faces. Currently deciding if I want to reroll as high DEX bow + fast weapon character, or a polearm/spear based STR/FAI hybrid. On one hand, I really like the free aim that bow allows for, but on the other hand I really want to use the Large Sword of Moonlight again.

Thoughts GAF?
First of all, always have a bow no matter what build you have. Second, you can have a magic hybrid and use a weapon up in face with cursed weapon buff etc. Its nice having some miracles and magic as a melee character ...unless you pvp who cares who how many various stats you throw together to get the weapons and magic mix you want? You really havent played the true demon's souls without doing a meat clever build, i.e. lots of str, lots of dex and lots fo magic...S/S/A LOL.
-----
man I really enjoy making and sharing videos but my cyber link video editior stopped working. I moved to share factory and it has been ok. I havent played in 5 days just trying to move twitch highlights to PC making the file that sharefactory will recognize then editing the video in sharefactory.

Finally getting to move on to NG+ with Hyper mode now! cant wait to see what all the fuss about it being tougher than in the old days...we'll see....something tells me phalanx wont give my character Xienfeng much of a fight in Hyper mode with ignite and fireballs. I still have to balance my magic and fatih for the talisman of beasts.

Last edited:

timmyp53

Not sure what you're talking about unless it's a buff like the protection or warding spells? Maybe the effect of one of the rings you were wearing then? Might want to check out your rings and see.

Yeah I'm dumb XD.. Some of the rings have some awesome effects. It was the Ring of Flame:

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Got the platinum!

Took me 5 hours from the start of NG+ to get everything that i need.

I went straight for the boss souls.

Crazy how much attacks can kill you with just one hit.
Do you still need all the pure stones for the plat?
Congrats btw!!

Oddspeak

Fuck 4-2. Fuck it from here to eternity.

Just got done with it, and I made sure to take the hero very carefully, so I didn't have to go anywhere near it again.

I've always felt 4-2 was one of the most sadistic areas FromSoft ever made. Strong melee enemies, strong magic enemies, several enemies that pelt you from a distance while trying to get by, and cliffs everywhere. There's only two ways to get through that place: painfully slowly and carefully or break-neck speedrun fast. No in-between.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I've always felt 4-2 was one of the most sadistic areas FromSoft ever made. Strong melee enemies, strong magic enemies, several enemies that pelt you from a distance while trying to get by, and cliffs everywhere. There's only two ways to get through that place: painfully slowly and carefully or break-neck speedrun fast. No in-between.

Is that the area with the caves where you have enemies casting soul arrows at you? Also where Patches is?

Oddspeak

Is that the area with the caves where you have enemies casting soul arrows at you? Also where Patches is?

I wish it was just Soul Arrows, but yes, that's the place. I was able to speedrun through it in the original game, but I had to re-learn here. Not a great time.

Ar¢tos

For me it got better.

Do you use some apps or other stuff in between?
Nothing. Turn console on and launch Demon's Souls. Get stuck on splash screen 75% of the time. Reboot and launch again and it works. Then I can close and reopen as many times as I want until I turn the console off again.

Rien

Jelly Belly
I wish it was just Soul Arrows, but yes, that's the place. I was able to speedrun through it in the original game, but I had to re-learn here. Not a great time.

i remember that place, died there many many MANY times. Golden skeletons, soul arrow spamming reapers and manta rays spamming arrows through walls. Quite a bitch haha

edit: Demon’s has the easiest bosses but the hardest environments if you ask me

Last edited:

2AdEPT

My last run on 4-2, I got all the way to the fog door after the 2nd grim reaper, and as I was going to collect some stuff from the ground a ghost just appeared behind me and one-shot me.

That's Demon's Souls :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I hate those enemies!! I bet a lot of people quit the game rigth then and there when they got backstabbed by the invisible man!
---------------
Oh man...you know you are getting old when you cant figure out how to cancel cut scenes and the credits etc. It used to be the select button but I tried every button once and nothing happened so I was like ok the develoer wants me to watch their beautiful cut scene and brag at the credits....I couldnt take a second round when I tried to quit out of the credits then it put me back at the old one so I even tried to google it! Finally I asked chat on twitch and they said "maybe hold the x button"....felt like an old guy for sure LOL.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

edit: Demon’s has the easiest bosses but the hardest environments if you ask me

Fully agree with this. I haven’t had to fight any bosses more than three times, and first timed a few of them. Had much more trouble getting to some of the buggers in the first place. 3-2, 4-2 and 5-2 all ball aches.

Malakhov

Banned
Yep and my brother got 3 or more and tons of chunks. I cant even get one chunk.
It happens, I needed one chunk from worms for my crushing battle axe and didn't get any in an hour. Then on one run i got three chunks in the same run from the 6 worms in the tunnels. The wonderful world of farming random drops...

Portugeezer

Beat the game. The last Archstones 4 and 5 were surprisingly easy, but I guess it makes sense as you can do them in any order after the first boss.

Great game, I can see why it was a cult classic and I'm glad they remade it with mind blowing visuals.

AI and their collision detection should have been updated in remake though, Gargoyles and Maneater boss specifically move around stupidly.

Top Bottom