• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Airbus Jr

Banned
Well, I've hit a wall again with this game and I'm not sure if I'll continue or not. 4-1 seems just downright cruel to me. Somehow, I have dark tendency on the level (maybe because of the number of times I've died there? I'm still not really sure how this works.) So I can get pretty far into the level, but those stupid manta ray things keep throwing crystals that take about 1/4 of my health bar. I've found some spots where I can pick them off here and there but they usually don't come close enough for me to hit them with my magic, but their crystals seem to have unlimited range. It doesn't help that the red glowing skeletons have shown up now and they can easily one-shot me, and take several good hits to kill.

I spent about 4 hours this morning trying to beat this level. I probably shouldn't have been keeping track, but I've lost about 100,000 souls in all. I'm soul level 45, so it's starting to take a massive investment in time now to level up even more. I'm not really sure how to take the world tendency here back to white, I've read that I need to invade other players worlds and help them kill bosses, but I'm not even sure how to do that. I've also read that this isn't even the hardest level, and the fact that I've played this game for nearly 35 hours now and have still only beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 3-1 probably means that I'm actually too retarded / not good enough reflexes to play this game properly.

35 hours is like nothing man

Ive spend over 200 hours just to get past Boletaria Palace back then. What a disgrace that one.

tenor.gif

Lose 100,000 is nothing, i once lost over 400,000 souls in dark souls 3 because i slipped into a cliff

Keep trying and lvl up, the final boss in 4 is awesome

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
35 hours is like nothing man

Ive spend over 200 hours just to get past Boletaria Palace back then. What a disgrace that one.

tenor.gif

Lose 100,000 is nothing, i once lost over 400,000 souls in dark souls 3 because i slipped into a cliff

Keep trying and lvl up, the final boss in 4 is awesome

I'm running around Nioh 2 like an asshole while carrying 10M Amrita. :p

Tmack

After giving up on 2-2 i got stuck in the prison first lvl (had no ide where to go after killing every enemy and opening every cell door) i decided to give one last try on 2-2 before sleep and, holy shit! Finally got it.

After a while i realized you can hide behind those pillars on the back of the staircase until he loosed agro and return to initial position where you can attack him from behind.... Was doing this before without much sucess, this time it finally worked trough the end. 5 am here, gotta go sleep now lol.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
FFS patch the game PLEASE. Tried the
Maneater
boss again, and the second one got stuck in the tower! How is this even possible. Managed to kill the first one, but had to reboot the whole game. Ran around for like 15 minutes trying the get that motherfucker down. Read that this could happen in the original game as well. I can’t stand this boss any more. It’s impossible when the game is broken!
That happened to me during my first time against that boss. I saw him flying way up high and I couldn’t shoot him with an arrow. I had to travel to the Nexus to restart the battle

The game ran so much better after the system update. I didn’t have a crash until NG+. I took a turn real fast to run up the stairs in 1-1 and the game crashed. Otherwise, no other issues.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Can anyone please tell me quickly if dying in body form affects character tendency?

Yeah dying in human form will bring you to black tendency

Thats why i only use human form when im certain with my path/ have to fight a boss + able to summon other player to help me

Last edited:

Umbral

Did the
luck glitch
tonight since I was at the end of the game and it wouldn’t affect my character as much as others...
that shit is crazy, one-shotting everything so far.
It’s fun but the shine will wear off within twenty minutes, I’m sure.

Then it’s time to make another character and go at it again. Going to do a Soul Level 1 run after this next one.

Last edited:

Antelope

Did the
luck glitch
tonight since I was at the end of the game and it wouldn’t affect my character as much as others...
that shit is crazy, one-shotting everything so far.
It’s fun but the shine will wear off within twenty minutes, I’m sure.

Then it’s time to make another character and go at it again. Going to do a Soul Level 1 run after this next one.
I don’t know if I have the stomach for an SL1 run in this game. I did it in Dark Souls 3 and it was so much fun, but damn the final boss nearly broke me.

2AdEPT

OK Folks I finally completed the NG playthrough of Hyper Mode...unfortunately to get all the items you need for a proper Hyper Mode character I had to kill:
Phalanx
Tower Knight (actaully didnt have to but needed the souls to level up early and wanted the world pure white to get MIralda's Binded set)
Spider (have to go through him to get to Flamelurker who has the soul for Ed.)
Dragon god (why not its is not really a hyper mode boss anyway, plus I ended up using the fireballs a lot in this playthourgh that you get from his soul)
Fools Idol for Soul Ray
Black Phantom Scirvir for Talisman of beasts
Black Phantom Satsuki for his hiltless
Old Hero for second chance, but you need him to get to Storm king anyway, same for adjudicator - Storm king soul for morion.

that's half the game! Oh well I think I wil re-do these bosses in NG+

Here is the playlist for the bosses Hyper mode did kill

If you want to learn how to do a Hyper Mode character I made this video:

Last edited:

Giles

Unfortunately you chose one of the most fun, but also the most punishing builds to start out with. This kind of build can make you slow and clunky so you have to learn the openings of each enemy and punish their specifc weakness. Since you are in NG+ have you considered adding a little magic and miracles to your repetoire? There is a build called Demon Mage which maxes out both strength and magic stats! It kicks it obviously. THere are defensive buffs which make you tough for short periods and second chance is a life saver for low vitality builds like mine, but trivilizes fights with characters that have huge vitality as you get a whole second bar at half your normal vitality. EVen if you want to continue with your strength build and stick to it, you want to get that up to 40. Then, you want to add a buff to that...never go forth without enough buff. Yes! Im telling you to put the balm, on! LOL! Cursed weapon takes a bit of magic stats and three magic slots (so quite a bit of INT and you have to have saved Yuria the witch from 1-3 who you may not have stumbled over in NG unless you knew what you were doing as you need a key from 1-2 and a full set of fat minister gear.) THere is also a specifc boss soul you need which I forget right now. ONce you put cursed weapon on a clever or bone smasher you really havent maxed out what a strength character can do damage wise. Then the final step is to get gud, meditate for your openings, then pound the crap out of NG+. There is no reason to keep your character low in soul level unless you want to do PVP. 120 is pretty much the max for PVP and you will get owned in PVP with a STR build unless you know how to use it. It takes practice, but if you dont care no one else will....have some fun with your first run through of the game...challenge yourself later with specific limited builds. If you didnt get the meat clever in NG that is definitely a must. It scales SSA for strength dex and magic...and it can be buffed...at least it could be in the old game. The greatsword is also fun to try.
I actually have cursed weapon and second chance which I saved for bosses in my previous play through. I had been saving them again but maybe that’s the way forward for encounters now and I will need to grind souls for more spice.

Oh I thought strength builds were decent for pvp? I’ve had a couple, one invasion and one
old monk fight
which went my way. The rolling attack with the dragon bone smasher is unreal.
On this run my aim is to mop up the all spells trophy now I have the soul from end game and hands of god I missed too. Gona have to get the miracles one in a new playthrough which will be maybe a mage/ faith hybrid or faith and something else. Definitely want a mage build at some stage too! Lol

Thanks for the advice bud. 🙂

2AdEPT

I actually have cursed weapon and second chance which I saved for bosses in my previous play through. I had been saving them again but maybe that’s the way forward for encounters now and I will need to grind souls for more spice.

Oh I thought strength builds were decent for pvp? I’ve had a couple, one invasion and one
old monk fight
which went my way. The rolling attack with the dragon bone smasher is unreal.
On this run my aim is to mop up the all spells trophy now I have the soul from end game and hands of god I missed too. Gona have to get the miracles one in a new playthrough which will be maybe a mage/ faith hybrid or faith and something else. Definitely want a mage build at some stage too! Lol

Thanks for the advice bud. 🙂
Oh for sure strength builds CAn be good in PVP. its just harder to know when to go in, when to take your opening without leaving yourself exposed etc. The recovery animation for some of the larger weapons lasts a long time and experienced adversaries will punish that. Also gives them time to get around for a backstab. You hit hard and the roll with the smasher is godly....just be careful LOL!

TheGejsza

Just managed to beat Black Phantom Satsuki. Reckon I died to him nearly 100 times in total.

Got to be honest, it was bullshit fight. Ended up having to level my sword to plus 7 and endurance to make sure I had enough to stun lock him. His healing is fucking stupid.

Still loving the game, but that saga felt wholly pointless.

Outside of retarded healing my biggest problem was countering him. I could 100% counter every attack but... when he was switching from 1h to 2h I would always take the bait and counter and then eat dirt. Problem is when he is in 1h mode his attack is so fast that you need to counter it as soon as the swing animation starts. And when he switches it looks like he is about to slash you. So it is impossible to constantly parry him without taking hit.

GymWolf

Lol i'm the usual shit at deciding a definitive build in souls games so i'm putting points everywhere from strenght to luck to magic etc., Then i remembered that there is no respec in the game :ROFLMAO:

I kinda wanna do a mage knight (more melee than ranged) with a piercing weapon...i never use magic in souls games but here looks pretty cool.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Finished the game yesterday and i'm already far ahead in my NG+ run.

For me it was a wonderful start into the generation and the first time i played Demon's Souls.

Visually there is not much to complain about. A realy well done remake. Haven't found any muddy textures.
The lighting is gorgeous, particle effects are superb and the overall atmosphere and presentation is top notch.

Played in performance mode 99% of the time.
I did have some frame drops / stutter. But very minor. Once or twice.

Quality of life improvements, photo mode and stunning loadtimes are realy good.

The soundtrack is well made but i like the one in Bloodborne and Dark Souls much more.

The overhauled sound design, vo and animations are also much appreciated.
I thought i will hate the reduced rag doll physics but they felt very natural and i liked them.

I played Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro and Dark Souls Remastered in that respective order before Demon's Souls.

So from a gameplay perspective while it is a great game on its own, it also feels a bit dated.
Especially the newer games, for example, have highly complex boss fights with 2, 3 or 4 phases and alot of different attack patterns.
Much more weird items and things like that.

It is still in a league of its own compared to other games and i realy enjoyed playing it.

Took me 40 hours to beat it. Could have been 30 but i ventured appreciative.
Definitly shorter than i expected but not to short. Dark Soul 3 dragged on a bit too long.

I wished that bluepoint had done more with the dual sense.
Astro's playroom was all over the place where this game could have needed a bit more of feedback.

Not much else to criticize from me.

To finish of...

The best boss for me was the flamelurker. Realy epic.
Though tower knight comes close after.

Shrine of storms was the best level. I just love rain!
The atmosphere was so thick and everything stood out about it.
From the lightning that struck the tree in the beginning to the Storm King in the end all in between.

So that are my thoughts. What are yours? Gonna keep playing for a while!

Umbasa!

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Time to speed run ng+ to free yuria, do Worlds 1,2,3 and 5 and get my last trophy!
Outside of the 2 online trophies, I did everything else offline without any issues.

Giles

Just realised I used the hard demon soul for the lava bow in my first playthrough and now I need to do two more just to get all the spells 😫🙈😂

Metnut

Don’t give up. I gave up on the game originally on PS3 because I couldn’t beat the spider boss and thought the run there was too long as well.

Turns out, I just hadn’t learned the level well enough. There are shortcuts and you can run there very quickly. Just have to explore and familiarize yourself with the area. And the boss ain’t that hard when you get the gist of it.

I beat the boss pretty easily once I figured out the layout of the room/area he was in and that I had to get close but not try and get behind. Boss was more of a puzzle than a physical challenge.

Now I’m getting crushed in 4-1. Those skeletons aren’t that bad but the damage adds up if I make any mistakes. There’s also this tougher black/red Skelton that shows up at the beginning now who is a pain to fight every time.

Not sure if it’d be better to try 2-2, 3-2 or 5-1 instead.

draliko

I never finished this game when it got out, and i really didn't like it. Dark soul was the first souls game i enjoyed but i must say getting back to the original soul genre starter after playing nioh2 feels strange, i would kill for a dark souls with nioh combat. Let's hope Elden Ring delivers. Anyway i completed a couple of world using a strength build and while the game is nice and has some nice QoL improvements it still feels dated and convoluted (and not in a good way), but being just the start of the generation it is indeed nice to have a souls game :) Anyway i don't see myself farming or doing a second run for now, actually it starts feeling like a chore to me than a nice experience, i probably need to change games for a couple of days.

draliko

I beat the boss pretty easily once I figured out the layout of the room/area he was in and that I had to get close but not try and get behind. Boss was more of a puzzle than a physical challenge.

Now I’m getting crushed in 4-1. Those skeletons aren’t that bad but the damage adds up if I make any mistakes. There’s also this tougher black/red Skelton that shows up at the beginning now who is a pain to fight every time.

Not sure if it’d be better to try 2-2, 3-2 or 5-1 instead.
if you have equip the thief ring really helps with skeletons so you can aggro 1 instead of 2, don't forget the regen ring (also shortcut for boss), 4-2 is then a very nice farming spot (bring a good bow and some arrows)

TheUsual

Gold Member
Quick question as I can't seem to find an answer: does my World Tendency start drifting White if I defeat a boss if I'm summoned by another player?
Trying to get pure white in Tower of Latria and I've beaten the whole level and not pure white (idiot me dying there in human form).

Con-Z-epT

The piercing capability of the soul ray is so good.

There are a lot of places where you can line up the enemies.

Antelope

The Sword of Moonlight cut through the boss in 2-2 like he was butter. It was a night and day difference from when I attempted him with my claymore.

I think I’m going to turn some worlds black so I can get some upgrade mats.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
OK after getting frustrated with 4-1 yesterday in dark tendency for a few hours, I went ahead and did the skip that took me to the boss (as well as the awesome HP regeneration ring!) and I was able to beat him easily. Doing so made the world tendency there go back to being light, so I'll go back and pick up some things later and "re-do" the level properly.

I've played a few hours of 2-2 now. I made it to the boss and that guy is no joke. I found the armor with the crazy high fire defense but my build isn't strong enough to use it properly. I should probably pump some points into strength, mine is 9 lol. So the fire dude has kicked my ass a few times now but I'm getting the hang of it, and one time I even got him down to about 1/10th of his health left. I also found the "shortcut" by falling down the pit which made me glad I went the "right" way the first few times.

I'm still trying to git gud, but I've come to the realization that this game might take me a massive amount of time to finish. 100+ hours, I'm guessing.

Bartski

Gold Member
Quick question as I can't seem to find an answer: does my World Tendency start drifting White if I defeat a boss if I'm summoned by another player?
Trying to get pure white in Tower of Latria and I've beaten the whole level and not pure white (idiot me dying there in human form).

nope, the only thing you gain from getting summoned as blue is souls and a free resurrect to body form.

if you need to get an area to pure white after you beat all bosses etc, you have 2 options:

1. defeat human red phantom invaders
2. summon blue phantoms and resurrect them with the Resurrect miracle if you have it

FunkMiller

Fuck 4-2. Fuck it from here to eternity.

Just got done with it, and I made sure to take the hero very carefully, so I didn't have to go anywhere near it again.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
hahah yes i think 4-2 might be the toughest run in the entire game. it's funny cos world 4 might have the easiest boss fights in the game, but the hardest level.

I don't really get the shortcut for the 4-1 boss.

I mean, I understand the theory, but to go the "long way" isn't exactly hard, it's just running past the Vanguard and 3 slow skeletons, as compared to running past 3 skeletons(one a roller) and pulling off a pretty tricky dodge-roll. I'm not a speedrunner but I've had faster runs with the former than the latter, considering I stop and kill the skeletons on the ramparts and am terrible at hitting the dodge roll just right.

TheUsual

Gold Member
nope, the only thing you gain from getting summoned as blue is souls and a free resurrect to body form.

if you need to get an area to pure white after you beat all bosses etc, you have 2 options:

1. defeat human red phantom invaders
2. summon blue phantoms and resurrect them with the Resurrect miracle if you have it
Thank you!

Guess I've been helping alot of people defeat the Maneaters today then, lol. (And then dying in the Nexus after getting human form back to rinse and repeat)

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fuck 4-2. Fuck it from here to eternity.

Just got done with it, and I made sure to take the hero very carefully, so I didn't have to go anywhere near it again.

There isnt any NPC that you can summon in 4-2 ? (Either real player or NPC that can help you out?)

What class do you use?

Last edited:

timmyp53

So how do you produce that visually amazing blue light emanating and morphing on your human form ? Is it tied to world tendency? I think I only had it for like the first two archstones.

Last edited:

wOs

Finished my first play through yesterday. Loved it.

Thinking about grinding out 10 levels so that I can wield the moonlight sword on play through two

Imagine playing 5-2 for the first time, going very slow and meticulously, getting the items, killing almost everything, getting to the most obvious shortcut in the whole game, but for some reason MISSING IT. Then going to the boss and dying. Then redoing the whole level, but now very inpatient. Dying all the time. So frustrating.

I eventually got the shortcut open. Now I just gotta figure this boss out.

MiguelItUp

At Old King Allant right now, all the other archstones are done. Lost to him once, gonna grind some, take care of the blue dragon cause why not? Figured King Doran as well. Then I'll go crush that hoe.

Really though, I'm super excited that I finally got "it". Can't wait to go through Bloodborne and the Souls games.

Also, super hyped about Elden Ring. I've finally seen the light boys and girls. It only took a decade and some change, lmao.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Well, I got a ps5 digital from my wife for my birthday today. It really is fantastic. Demon souls is pretty incredible. Played through it on PS3 and it's amazing how much I've forgotten. Downloading some of my PS4 games to give them a shot now. Hoping the load times in fallout and Skyrim are improved

Con-Z-epT

Got the platinum!

Took me 5 hours from the start of NG+ to get everything that i need.

I went straight for the boss souls.

Crazy how much attacks can kill you with just one hit.

BGs

Industry Professional
HELP!!!!

giphy.gif

Why can't I use the resin with the weapons?

When I use a resin, the gentleman puts his hand back and makes a gesture of "surprised" as if he did not have it or as if he could not use it. Do you know what this could be due to? I'm level 30 and haven't managed to use any resin yet.

Thanks in advance.

Sinthor

Gold Member
HELP!!!!

giphy.gif

Why can't I use the resin with the weapons?

When I use a resin, the gentleman puts his hand back and makes a gesture of "surprised" as if he did not have it or as if he could not use it. Do you know what this could be due to? I'm level 30 and haven't managed to use any resin yet.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on which weapons. Weapons that are already enchanted or something like that...can't use resins. For example: the crescent falchion +1 or the blessed mace +1 are already enchanted, so you can't apply buffs or resins to them. I think one exception to this is the meat cleaver, which is a special weapon but DOES allow buffs to apply. Hope this helps!

Ar¢tos

Got the platinum!

Took me 5 hours from the start of NG+ to get everything that i need.

I went straight for the boss souls.

Crazy how much attacks can kill you with just one hit.
I know the feeling! I started ng+ today for the 6 yuria spells and a little arrow from a crossbow soldier takes a big Chunk of my health.
Still have 3-2 (that I HATE), 3-3 and all 5 to do. At least Cloak + Thief Ring makes speed running levels easier.

Top Bottom