• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

Ar¢tos

On my second playthrough; going magic.

Absolutely in love with the game now. Souls games become so much fun when you've worked out where everything is and you can start mucking around.

Got to be honest, magic does seem daftly overpowered. Will take this dude into NG+ and see who it goes.
Depends on the magic you use. Firestorm and Homing Soul Arrows are OP, the other ones are strong but kinda OK.
I killed both Maneaters and Old Monk with 1 cast of Firestorm in ng+, and Maiden Astraea with 4 casts of Homing Soul Arrow (didn't want to get too close because of her WoG).

Last edited:
Still thinking about the Maiden Astraea bossfight. I've only just played Demon's Souls for the first time with the remake, but I had watched quite a few lore videos from VaatiVidya a couple years back. Easily my favorite fight in the game largely due to atmosphere, lore, and incredible soundtrack.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
You probably got pure white tendency for killing the last boss. They go away if you have pure white.

You are right, I was able to get into the locked gate in 1-1. So just go back later to get the dragon. It still makes no sense that the elevator is one way , it also discourages people helping at the boss since you have to transverse the whole level.

I took the plunge on this as my first From game since I managed to get my hands on a PS5 and wanted something to play on it. Finished it and got some idea what all the fuss is about with these games. I'd say overall I found it compelling and enjoyed my time. So I dove in with Dark Souls next and just ended up frustrated with it. Then tried Bloodborne and liked it a bit more but still ended up not connecting with it as much as I did with Demon's Souls.

I also picked up Sekiro so we'll have to see how that goes. But right now it feels like Demon's may be my personal From Software one-hit wonder.

Malakhov

Banned
Still thinking about the Maiden Astraea bossfight. I've only just played Demon's Souls for the first time with the remake, but I had watched quite a few lore videos from VaatiVidya a couple years back. Easily my favorite fight in the game largely due to atmosphere, lore, and incredible soundtrack.

This one is much better, it is one of the best tracks ive heard in a game that fits the mood perfectly

Last edited:

kingwingin

Almost finished the game. Definitely made the game harder on myself then it should have been. Focused way too much on magic, much prefer playing with melee.

Hopefully new game im not too screwed and can repair the mess I created

Malakhov

Banned
Almost finished the game. Definitely made the game harder on myself then it should have been. Focused way too much on magic, much prefer playing with melee.

Hopefully new game im not too screwed and can repair the mess I created
I finished the game with a pure strenght build and now playing with a mage. The mage is basically easy mode, I run around and pew pew everything, makes the game trivial

Last edited:

kingwingin

I finished the game with a pure strenght build and now playing with a mage. The mage is basically easy mode, I run around and pew pew everything, makes the game trivial
it definitely was easy at first but some late game enemies like garl vinland, its like I'm pelting him with feathers. Add in the fact I'm constantly burning through spice, just not my thing

found a melee build on ps3 was easier than magic on ps5.

Antelope

The Maiden fight was altogether different than what I expected, but I enjoyed the story being told.

Garl Vineland was so easy I’m convinced his AI was completely broken. Either that or the blessed Mirdan hammer is just that good. I made short work of him and his black phantom.

I was annoyed that I couldn’t wear his armor, but his sister’s Dull gold set is better anyway. It’s close to the Brass set, which is my go to in all the souls games.

Last edited:

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
at the stage where the skulls are, I killed the first boss, in the second part, just before reaching the second boss in the corridor there are 3 red skulls the color of the people who invade, a blow kills me, right where the flying bugs are shooting , but before I didn’t have them, I arrived in this area a few times, now it’s impossible to get through because there’s no way to kill all 3, there’s no way to run, what would be the reason why stronger enemies start to appear in places that don’t had? Was it because I died a lot at the stage?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
there are 3 red skulls the color of the people who invade, a blow kills me, right where the flying bugs are shooting , but before I didn’t have them, I arrived in this area a few times, now it’s impossible to get through because there’s no way to kill all 3, there’s no way to run, what would be the reason why stronger enemies start to appear in places that don’t had?
If your world tendency is pure black, you sometimes get black phantom version of those enemies.

It just mean you died too many times in body form in that archstone.

Last edited:

Oddspeak

If you want to mess around with filters, remember you can make a custom one using Photo Mode and make it persist in gameplay.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Finished the game today after 35h. Such an amazing way to kick off next gen. I will forever remember the crisp, foggy November London mornings in breezy Boletaria.

My only regret is that I had to rush the game since I will travel for 4 months from next Tuesday, so I had to finish the game before.

So tempted to continue right away. But what is the way to play NG+?

- Should I keep piling Vit / End / Str to my melee build, or start diverging with magic etc.?

- Should I grind shards to max out my main weapons? I am at L72 (lost 2 lv to the boss lol), with +8 sword and +6 shield

- Once I pretty soon max my weapons how do I keep up with the ever stronger enemies, ifI can’t upgrade my weapon further?

Danjin44

I fully upgraded Dragon Bone Smasher and my build is very strength/Dex based, so it I can do really good damage with it but man I hate using this weapon....it sooooo god damn slow.

2AdEPT

I took the plunge on this as my first From game since I managed to get my hands on a PS5 and wanted something to play on it. Finished it and got some idea what all the fuss is about with these games. I'd say overall I found it compelling and enjoyed my time. So I dove in with Dark Souls next and just ended up frustrated with it. Then tried Bloodborne and liked it a bit more but still ended up not connecting with it as much as I did with Demon's Souls.

I also picked up Sekiro so we'll have to see how that goes. But right now it feels like Demon's may be my personal From Software one-hit wonder.
Although I still feel Demons was my favourite experience overall, it was the first....the virgin experience is always best. However a large reason was the exploration of dangerous new worlds....that is where the other games were a MUST. Dark Siouls has the best level of any game period, especially early there are at least three short cuts and potential sequence breaks and they are stacked vertically not just horizontally. Unlike demons the whole map can be physically laid out but you need a 3d visual to see it. Nothing has come close since to y knowledge either. DS2 is usually the least favourite but it does have enough to make it better than all non souls games in the genre. Doing a vanquisher seal run where fists become OP was amazing fun. Bloodborne had some of the best action and the dodge with lock on made even the hardest boss manageable. No other game had that mechanic iirc, sekiro I cant recall but maybe it did. Also revisited some of the best art direction since demons. Ds3 was actually mediocre only because there was nothing left to try without ruining the model. It had new map to figure out and was stil worth it as it had many of the refinementsover the years that easrlier ones sufferd from. Sekiro was different and had a new mechanic to learn, but once I learnwed it there was still magic. I cant say that I was bothered to take the time to learn all the attacks of the final boss though...three forms is too much false difficulty when a simple mistake costs you too much. Although it was worth it for the bew exploration, was one of my least favourite. But all these souls games were better than others for me...i lost interest in most other games I tried, includingt witcher3 after completing witcher 2, and although i got through other RGP's like fallout new vegas and 3, they dont hold a candle to the action oriented genius in souls games. A hybrid of all this is what we might get with Elden Ring, but a low chance imo. I say good purchases ands give them a chance...they impove on a lot of aspects of Demons as there was a lot of mechanics that were and still are improved upon in the other games.
it definitely was easy at first but some late game enemies like garl vinland, its like I'm pelting him with feathers. Add in the fact I'm constantly burning through spice, just not my thing

found a melee build on ps3 was easier than magic on ps5.
I can only assume you either didnt recognize Garl has magic resist armour and 100% magic shield, or you didnt use your own buffs with rings, kris blade or monk head wrap? Using fire magic and baiting him to attack so he doesnt have his shield up solves the first issue, using hyper mode the second. Also Patches and the lady in 4-1 are where you can buy aged spice which does a full bar usually. I carry at least 20 aged spice just in case when doing magic.

Finished the game today after 35h. Such an amazing way to kick off next gen. I will forever remember the crisp, foggy November London mornings in breezy Boletaria.

My only regret is that I had to rush the game since I will travel for 4 months from next Tuesday, so I had to finish the game before.

So tempted to continue right away. But what is the way to play NG+?

-
Make special weapons like the meat clever, pick up bone smasher by making world 2 pure white, and use magic and miracles from boss souls like cursed weapon, second chance, wrath of god, and firestorm. Use a wiki to see what boss soul choices you have for different magic miracles and weapons as it takes a third playthrough to experience them all and you dont have time for that it would appear.. You have only experienced 25% of the game with out using boss souls for the unique weapons and magic. If you had more time I would recommend starting over with blueblood (luck) build. Dont worry about upgrading new weapons much, the only one laying around I might suggrest is mirdan hammer as it is the best pvp weapon in the game. If you have a regular sword to +8 trade it and the storm king soul for morin blade. Hold it in your off hand instead of shield, use rat ring, and wield magic in your right hand at <30 health. BOOM!

Last edited:

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
If your world tendency is pure black, you sometimes get black phantom version of those enemies.

It just mean you died too many times in body form in that archstone.
So it was bad, the place didn't even have those enemies, now there are, it will be very difficult to pass.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm thinking about purposely making my worlds pure black for NG+. Not sure yet. May just start a new easy mode mage or something instead.

2AdEPT

Just so you know, there is no "easy mode" in NG+. Even worse now than in the early days. If I didnt get good RNG on tower knight using Hyper mode I might not have made it "look" easy. I died three times trying before this happened. Each of those ignite shots that did 570 on tower knight in NG+ did 1600 on False King allant in NG.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i swear, every time through, when Patches asks to be my friend, just minutes after kicking me to my death, i love it. the cheeky bastard.

dude turns out to be the most crucial NPC in the game after a certain point. those cheap prices on upper level healing is essential. he really is an MVP in this one, even moreso than the others (incl as a spider in Bloodborne).

when Mephistopholes sends you to assassinate him... that's a tough one to do! there's no coming back from that.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
i swear, every time through, when Patches asks to be my friend, just minutes after kicking me to my death

2qdcef7it9z51.jpg

Last edited:

Chiggs

Gold Member
I fully upgraded Dragon Bone Smasher and my build is very strength/Dex based, so it I can do really good damage with it but man I hate using this weapon....it sooooo god damn slow.

There’s no better weapon for Black Phantom Selen Vinland and Satsuki. That thing just knocks them down and they’re not getting back up if you’re handling it properly.

Danjin44

There’s no better weapon for Black Phantom Selen Vinland and Satsuki. That thing just knocks them down and they’re not getting back up if you’re handling it properly.
I would say Meat Cleaver is better choice for that, the swing is faster than DBS and I used that to beat Satusuki's black phantom.

aclar00

Not sure if it was the game update or console update but since around then this game stays on the loading splash screen and needs rebooted before it’ll work more often than not. 🙃

Happened day 1 for me so its been there. Same happened with Astro, but i had to actually reinstall it.

aclar00

always hide behind the pillars while protecting yourselves from the clones. Also, did you kill a guy in the chapel up there before going to her? If you didn't she will keep coming back to life. At the start of the fight kill all praying creatures and destroy all chairs to have enough room to maneuver as well

i actually beat her with a bow and arrow (90% bow, 10% melee) once i accidently hit a glitch i guess or just perfect spot behind a pillar. Took 20 mins, but i would fire an arrow and then she would do 4 soul arrows, wash rinse and repeat....but it was all for not naught....not saying more in case of spoilers...lol

ne1butu

I’ve upgraded the longsword to +5, have I just wasted resources on a bad weapon?

I’m running a endurance, strength build

Roufianos

Starting to find it kind of easy. Getting to the end of the game and average enemies aren't really a problem. Even the 3 red knights were relatively straight forward.

Even some bosses, like the Dirty Colossus, I didn't even Git Gud for it and just beat it with brute force.

It's weird because I haven't done that much grinding and I picked a seemingly dumb build - a knight who I've also taught magic.

Anyway, don't see why I won't finish it at this point which will be a first for me despite playing all the Souls games.

I actually deleted the game at one point and put it on eBay then woke up the next day and was like 'fuck this, I'm killing this spider.' Glad I stuck with it.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I’ve upgraded the longsword to +5, have I just wasted resources on a bad weapon?

I’m running a endurance, strength build

Long sword is fine and getting to +5 doesn’t require any stones that you can’t easily farm. Be mindful when you get to the point of using up chunks though.

If you like the long sword, there’s also the knight sword in world 1. Claymore (also world 1) is what I went with for str/end and that wrecks after upgrades.

Long sword is fine and getting to +5 doesn’t require any stones that you can’t easily farm. Be mindful when you get to the point of using up chunks though.

If you like the long sword, there’s also the knight sword in world 1. Claymore (also world 1) is what I went with for str/end and that wrecks after upgrades.

Whoa didn't know you sir are a fan of Demon's Souls :)

Of course, I’m a big fan of the Souls/Miyazaki games. I picked up the PS3 version of DeS back in the day at launch too, have the deluxe edition with the mini guide book.

I discovered Souls games via Bloodborne, but could never beat it. Picked up Demon's Souls remake with the PS5, been trying to pick up my jaw thats been on the floor past few weeks :messenger_face_screaming:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I discovered Souls games via Bloodborne, but could never beat it. Picked up Demon's Souls remake with the PS5, been trying to pick up my jaw thats been on the floor past few weeks :messenger_face_screaming:

Nice, glad you’re enjoying it, it’s a hell of a remake and a great way to experience the game. I’m hoping for a performance patch for Bloodborne at some point at least.

aclar00

Well, I've hit a wall again with this game and I'm not sure if I'll continue or not. 4-1 seems just downright cruel to me. Somehow, I have dark tendency on the level (maybe because of the number of times I've died there? I'm still not really sure how this works.) So I can get pretty far into the level, but those stupid manta ray things keep throwing crystals that take about 1/4 of my health bar. I've found some spots where I can pick them off here and there but they usually don't come close enough for me to hit them with my magic, but their crystals seem to have unlimited range. It doesn't help that the red glowing skeletons have shown up now and they can easily one-shot me, and take several good hits to kill.

I spent about 4 hours this morning trying to beat this level. I probably shouldn't have been keeping track, but I've lost about 100,000 souls in all. I'm soul level 45, so it's starting to take a massive investment in time now to level up even more. I'm not really sure how to take the world tendency here back to white, I've read that I need to invade other players worlds and help them kill bosses, but I'm not even sure how to do that. I've also read that this isn't even the hardest level, and the fact that I've played this game for nearly 35 hours now and have still only beaten 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and 3-1 probably means that I'm actually too retarded / not good enough reflexes to play this game properly.

Its been a few days since you posted, but i would use a bow if you have onr. They work well on the mantas.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I died more times to Dragon God than I did Flamelurker. Am I bad?
It depends on how often you died but i would say no.

Dragon God is a weird fight.
Positioning is key here but it is not so obvious where to stand.

Took me a while to find the correct spot behind the pillars.

Arthimura

Should i worry about character tendency?

I'm playing NG+ and going for the platinum trophy, close to Pure Black Character Tendency and trying to make all worlds Pure White Tendency.

I don't know exactly what Pure White Character Tendency is needed for, the World events (like freeing Lord Rydell) only needs specific World Tendency, right?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Should i worry about character tendency?

I'm playing NG+ and going for the platinum trophy, close to Pure Black Character Tendency and trying to make all worlds Pure White Tendency.

I don't know exactly what Pure White Character Tendency is needed for, the World events (like freeing Lord Rydell) only needs specific World Tendency, right?
PWCT is so that you get the Ally's/Friend's Ring from the monumental. world events are based on WT, correct.

the way i did it was following this guide:
The way to go is as followed in your first Playthrough:

1. Finish the game with Pure White World Tendency – Play only in Soul Form, suicide in the Nexus to get back to the Soul Form after defeating a boss since it turns you human each time. Gather all the rings (and weapons if you want some) that are only available in PWWT.
  2. Get Pure Black World Tendency – Once you are sure you have collected all the Rings and Weapons you want that are only available in Pure White, keep killing yourself in each of the 5 archstones in Human Form until they reach Pure Black World Tendency. Once they are Pure Black collect all the Rings you need in them and move on to step 3.
  3. Pure White Character Tendency – Now that all worlds are in PBWT you can traverse them and kill Black Phantom NPCs (Miranda in firste area of Boletarian Palace, Scirvir in second area of Stonefang Mines, Rydell in first region of Tower of Latria, Satsuki in first region of Shrine of Storms, Selen in second area of Valley of Defilement). This will help you turn your character Tendency Pure White. With Pure White Character Tendency talk to the Monumental in the Nexus for the Friend’s Ring and follow to step 4.
  4. Pure Black Character Tendency – Slaughter NPCs throughout the 5 Archstones like the Filthy Man in Stonefang Tunnels, Once Royal Mistress in Tower of Latria, Graverobber Blidge in Shrine of Storm, Dregling in Boletarian Palace, Filthy Woman in Valley of Defilement. When in Pure Black Character Tendency Mephistopheles will appear in Nexus, she will have you kill NPCs one after one and once she tells you to kill Yuria the Witch it will be her last request, killing Yuria and talking to her asfterwards will grant you the Foe Ring.
after that it's just go through NG to get enough boss souls for all spells/miracles

Last edited:

Cyborg

Any tips about world and character tendecy? Without spoilers please. I looked it up online but encouter a lot of spoilers.

Is there a good video somewhere online? (never played the original)

#Phonepunk#

Banned
world tendency is mostly based on how often you die in human form. as long as you kill yourself in the nexus and play all levels in soul form, they will only increase to white. i believe you need to die 7 times in human form to take a pure white world to pure black.

at pure white, additional stuff is added to each level. some level design updated so you can reach previously unreachable areas. some new enemies and NPs. also the game is easier, you do more damage, etc.

character tendency is based around how you treat NPCs. each level has one main NPC, if you kill them, you will get black CT.

at pure white/pure black CT, some extra stuff happens in the nexus.

i never looked into this stuff back when i played the original game, but i'm happy i did now. the Mephistopholes questline alone is worth it.

Last edited:

Arthimura

PWCT is so that you get the Ally's/Friend's Ring from the monumental. world events are based on WT, correct.

the way i did it was following this guide:

after that it's just go through NG to get enough boss souls for all spells/miracles
Thanks, i played the first playthrought without worrying so much about the Platinum. But i think i'm ok, i will have to go until at least NG++ because i did the Insane Catalyst, so i will have to kill the Old Monk two more times to get all the spells.

I will do all events from PWWT in this playthrough, than go to PBWT and do all events, and i think around NG++ i will be able to reach PWCT, because i read it needs 10 Red Phantoms to to from pure black to pure white.

If anything goes wrong i can do a new playthrough in NG just to get all the rings.

Cyborg

world tendency is mostly based on how often you die in human form. as long as you kill yourself in the nexus and play all levels in soul form, they will only increase to white. i believe you need to die 7 times in human form to take a pure white world to pure black.

at pure white, additional stuff is added to each level. some level design updated so you can reach previously unreachable areas. some new enemies and NPs. also the game is easier, you do more damage, etc.

character tendency is based around how you treat NPCs. each level has one main NPC, if you kill them, you will get black CT.

at pure white/pure black CT, some extra stuff happens in the nexus.

i never looked into this stuff back when i played the original game, but i'm happy i did now. the Mephistopholes questline alone is worth it.
So you advice me to kill myself in the nexus and play like a soul? Will that have effect on me helping others (getting summoned)?

johntown

Banned
Any tips about world and character tendecy? Without spoilers please. I looked it up online but encouter a lot of spoilers.

Is there a good video somewhere online? (never played the original)
Do White World and Character Tendency first. Do all the world ones then character. Black is easier to get so always do those last.

After you revive from beating a boss suicide in the Nexus to prevent any world tendency shifts. This will allow Pure White World after beating two bosses. For White Character either help players kill bosses or black phantoms or kill special NPC phantoms in Pure Black Worlds (if you go this route you want to finish Pure White World first).

Black just die in human form in any world (from Pure White 7 deaths in human form). For Black character just invade or kill non-aggressive NPC's and merchants.

Antelope

I actually deleted the game at one point and put it on eBay then woke up the next day and was like 'fuck this, I'm killing this spider.' Glad I stuck with it.

Bloodborne was my first Souls game and I rage quit twice. Once at Blood Starved Beast and then at the One Reborn (who is actually pretty easy, but I had no clue what I was doing). I’m so happy that I kept going. It’s my favorite game.

Demon Souls has the same amazing atmosphere as BB. It isn’t quite as good—the bosses don’t really compare in design or difficulty—but I like it more than the other Souls games. I should probably go back to DS1 and finish it. I bounced off it pretty hard after Ornstein and Smaug.

Last edited:

Duellist

Hey guys, question. What are some of the best magic spells to take going into new game plus? I'm pretty much at the end. Just have to do the black character tendency stuff. I don't want to be wasting boss souls on spells when they can be used for weapons. I've got poison cloud, flame spray, flame shot or whatever it's called, soul arrow, heal and I think the one that cures poison. Thanks

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
I did shit, I had the winged spear + 7, I was watching to level a weapon, I got distracted and I went up to scrape the spear, now I'm without damage and without souls to level the weapon kkkkk ... lucky that a sword kept that damages of fire, I’m a local world Prison I don’t know what… that has several cells and only has npc magicians and some prisoners.

Ar¢tos

Hey guys, question. What are some of the best magic spells to take going into new game plus? I'm pretty much at the end. Just have to do the black character tendency stuff. I don't want to be wasting boss souls on spells when they can be used for weapons. I've got poison cloud, flame spray, flame shot or whatever it's called, soul arrow, heal and I think the one that cures poison. Thanks
Fire spells for the phalanx, maybe soul Ray for the dreglings in 1-1. After the phalanx you can attune spells again with Freke's apprentice.

Dragon God is a weird fight.
Positioning is key here but it is not so obvious where to stand.

Took me a while to find the correct spot behind the pillars.
It's more than just "not obvious", it's also got some broken AI in there. There are places you can stand which cause him to breathe fire no where near you for example, and some pillars don't actually provide cover at the size it appears they do. One pillar in particular on the bottom floor is much narrower than it appears to be, and I died while standing behind it dozens of times (so far).

Arthimura

Do White World and Character Tendency first. Do all the world ones then character. Black is easier to get so always do those last.

After you revive from beating a boss suicide in the Nexus to prevent any world tendency shifts. This will allow Pure White World after beating two bosses. For White Character either help players kill bosses or black phantoms or kill special NPC phantoms in Pure Black Worlds (if you go this route you want to finish Pure White World first).

Black just die in human form in any world (from Pure White 7 deaths in human form). For Black character just invade or kill non-aggressive NPC's and merchants.

I think helping other players does not help towards White Character Tendency. Only killing invaders and Black Phantom NPCs.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

Warding. It reduces physical damage by 70% for 40 seconds. Yes, really.

Top Bottom