• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Power was granted, so the world could be mended

SkylineRKR

This might be the best game I have ever played. Put 6 hours into it just today. DeS on PS3 was the game of the generation for me and this one is simply better. Remake is the best Souls game, which is saying something as its my number one franchise. What DeS always did better than Dark, imo, were the NPC's, the atmosphere of the Nexus, Boletaria itself. Lore behind people like Astraea. I felt the DeS cast was superior.

There is so much I'm looking forward to do still. Like dicking around with tendency and invasions.

Its a remake, so its not entirely new, thats the only thing that might this game have against it. Still, I haven't played a game thats as good this year, bar Ghost of Tsushima. But DeS is better.

Anybody else enjoying archery in this one? I find it way less janky and the dualsense implementation is smooth. Totally doing a bow and arrow build.

I have a faith build but my short bow does help me out, I shot those Mindflayers to hell with them. Feels good.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So for some reason, I thought world 3 was world 5 and that world 5 was world 3. In my head, it was "the higher you climb up the pillar, the higher the level". So it occurred to me that I hadn't done anything with level 3 - which I have now remedied. For the first time since playing this game, I felt over-leveled here which was a really nice feeling. I still took my time and whatnot, but it only took me about 1.5hrs to march through 3-1 and defeat the False Idol boss (as well as unlock the sage dude).

Now I have a lot more spell options which feels good. I wonder if it would be worth grinding 50,000 souls for the ring of avarice that gives you more souls? I feel like I'm finally starting to get the hang of this game - after only about 50 hours lol.

Last edited:

2AdEPT

About that, a friend of mine summoned a random player for help with a boss, but after that random player did the most of the job, after beating the boss the game sent back my friend as they never took down the boss. Is it normal?
Its normal Mr. abnormal! LOL, Usually you have to get your friend to kill themselves to get out of human form after killing a boss as you can only get summoned as a blue from soul form. After killing a boss you as a blue become human, which is the sort of point and reward of it, although I realize thats not necessarily the purpose if you are playing the while game through with a friend.
Quick question, still loving the game but a friend of mine, who is playing alongside me for the first time said that the optimal set up for pure mage is crescent falchion/catalyst and kris blade/catalyst, so your casts are bound to l1 using no form of shield... is the youtuber he's watched talking out of his arse or do they have a point ?
First its impossible this makes sense if indeed he hada catalyst AND the Kris blade in the same hand, They should be in opposite hands, you cast with one get extra bonus at the same time from the other. Otherwise yu are constantly attacking and switching before the attack lands. Your Kris has to be visible for it to count.... it cant be toggled off, at least Im pretty sure baout that if not 100% certain.. If it was a talisman on the left with catalyst on right ok I get it, but see below.

Its rare that I use a shield with a stacked mage character, but it depends if you really mean "pure" mage or not...Either way the answer is "NO", if you are pure mage it makes no sense to have two catalysts...maybe that was typo? It just preference , but I have always preferered to have all attack from the right side, whether magic or melee, and all off hand stuff on the left, it just makes sense if you think about it.

If you want to do miracles and magic you have to have a talisman and catalyst...maybe thats what the guy saw? Thats not even ideal though as if you get the talisman of beasts (which does both miracles and magic) then the best setup is:

L1/L2 - Small shield or Kris blade or Morion blade (for hyper mode, so if I want hyper mode sometimes the shield is the first to go. If I know I am either in or out of hyper mode then its always nice to have a small shield for parrying alongside which ever buff weapon I am uisng.)

BUT!

Qualification: the nature of hyper mode is that you sometimes go in with it on but then use second chance and if you get hit you get out of range for HYper mode, so you want the Kris blade there as back up. The more experienced you play, even with PVP the less you use a shield. So sometimes Ill just use Kris and morion and switch depending on if im in hyper mode or not. Its a small note that buff weapons like Kris and Morion in your off hand act as poor shields but they do shield attacks slightly...enough to make a 30-50% difference more than if you didnt block.

R1/R2 - weapon and Talisman of beasts, or if pure mage or priest, catalyst or talisman. All you attack comes from the right side.

the only time I would have a talisman or a catalyst in my left hand would be if I didnt have the the talisman of beasts yet and needs both, OR, if for some reaosn I needs two weapns like a sword and bow for example...thats really really rare though.. as pure mage doesnt use bow a lot really.

Last edited:

Phase

Got my replacement controller in the mail finally. Booted up original Demon's Souls. It's been so long.

Those fucking miners around corners had me like

giphy.gif

If the next From Software game is only 30fps and has no performance mode, will it be accepted by the core community? Legitimate question, as playing the newly released Demon's Souls, and going back to Dark Souls 3(60fps on PS5), it's even more impossible to settle for some less, uneven framerate.

Cyborg

I need a help, lost 12.000 souls in the beginning!

So decided to play 2-2 and do the left side defeated everything and went all the way back and did the right side,I went (fall) all the way down and found myself facing boss gate. There was just noooo way to go back to upper level and I was forced to fight the boss with 12.000 souls and lost...

Was there a way to go back?

Last edited:
I need a help, lost 12.000 souls in the beginning!

So decided to play 2-2 and do the left side defeated everything and went all the way back and did the right side,I went (fall) all the way down and found myself facing boss gate. There was just noooo way to go back to upper level and I was forced to fight the boss with 12.000 souls and lost...

Was there a way to go back?
Yes. Ladders up to the tunnels with the lava pools. After beating the boss it's the easy way to farm dragon stone if that's what you need. Also the easy way to get that crystal lizard at the bottom of the pit as it's at the top of the 1st ladder and wont run until you finish climbing it.

Ar¢tos

If the next From Software game is only 30fps and has no performance mode, will it be accepted by the core community? Legitimate question, as playing the newly released Demon's Souls, and going back to Dark Souls 3(60fps on PS5), it's even more impossible to settle for some less, uneven framerate.
FROM greatest flaw is the technical side, so I don't think anyone would be surprised. Their games usually launch with many bugs, crashes and performance issues that slowly get better (but never truly fixed) with patches.
DeS remake is a Bluepoint game, not a From game, so prepare for some difference going from DeS to Elden Ring, both in graphics and in the technical side (regardless of the game being crossgen or not).

I dunno if this has already come up as it's a long thread and I didn't read all of it but for those that didn't notice the crystal lizards get a new spawn/set of spawns after killing a boss in that world. So for example I just killed penetrator on my latest run and the lizard at the start of 1-1 in the locked side area and the 2 in the tower before tower knight came back. Just one life each for those that time but the ones in 2-2 seem to get a full set of lives after killing flamelurker and dragon god. I forgot to check between those bosses as I just did em back to back as dragon god is so easy but there are a shit load of lizards in 2-2 and that's a lot of materials for those that need em.

Edit. Thinking about it maybe they get 1 life per boss killed. Dunno will need to check on next run. Worth backtracking anyway.

Last edited:

Cyborg

Yes. Ladders up to the tunnels with the lava pools. After beating the boss it's the easy way to farm dragon stone if that's what you need. Also the easy way to get that crystal lizard at the bottom of the pit as it's at the top of the 1st ladder and wont run until you finish climbing it.
But what I want to know is there a way up (to return to Nexus) without defeating the boss?

But what I want to know is there a way up (to return to Nexus) without defeating the boss?
yup you can backtrack all the way to the lift that takes you back to the top.

Edit: also there is an item you can use to go back with souls intact. Archstone shard maybe? and the evacuate miracle.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I decided to make a pure mage character just for fun. When you know what you're doing, that royalty starting class really is a nice fun easy mode for the game.

If you beat 1-1 and go grab the crescent falchion in 4-1, you can be killing the Tower Knight by like level 8 lol. I have beaten 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1 and I'm like 3.5 hours in. I'm going to just make the most OP mage I can.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Without a doubt. From are living legends. Only the unworthy would skip that game.

From’s design philosophy > all technical concerns

You are aware From has made their legendary name by creating games so good that uneven frame rates matter not one bit?

Last edited:
I decided to make a pure mage character just for fun. When you know what you're doing, that royalty starting class really is a nice fun easy mode for the game.

If you beat 1-1 and go grab the crescent falchion in 4-1, you can be killing the Tower Knight by like level 8 lol. I have beaten 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, and 4-1 and I'm like 3.5 hours in. I'm going to just make the most OP mage I can.
Thats exactly what i did my man! I spammed the tower knight's back with magic.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Got the platinum last night. Total time according to the PS5 Profile menu is 88 hours. I've beaten it 5 times with 4 different characters/builds with one NG+ to get all the spells. Still might play more if my friend needs help for his platinum.

Invasions and double invasions were near constant in certain areas on NG+, but it was fun.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Gave up on the platinum last night, funnily enough. Just not an enjoyable one for me. Not because of the game difficulty, I still ended up finishing my 2nd playthrough anyway, but I had several trophies fuck me over for various reasons on this run and I really don't fancy playing the entire thing again and potentially having them screw up again for the sake up a little shiny "ding" popup. For example, Fool's Idol with no clone hits didn't pop event though I spent like 10-15 minutes on that fight surgically ensuring I didn't hit a clone.

I've enjoyed my time with it immensely, time to move on.

RAL1992

Phalanx/tower knight/armored spider/fools idol all done first try; jesus christ the game is phenomenal, sinking time into watching lore videos on YouTube instead of playing now.

Expecting a huge difficulty spike but I'm sure I'll push through.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Phalanx/tower knight/armored spider/fools idol all done first try; jesus christ the game is phenomenal, sinking time into watching lore videos on YouTube instead of playing now.

Expecting a huge difficulty spike but I'm sure I'll push through.

If you did all of those first try you almost certainly won't hit a real difficulty spike. Flamelurker might be the closest you come. DeS isn't really about boss difficulty though, the actual levels are harder.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I got the Blind weapon from Selen Vinland's Black Phantom and as much as it does ignores shield, the damage is pretty poor and durability also pretty low. I feel like I kind of waste my time trying to get this weapon.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Gave up on the platinum last night, funnily enough. Just not an enjoyable one for me. Not because of the game difficulty, I still ended up finishing my 2nd playthrough anyway, but I had several trophies fuck me over for various reasons on this run and I really don't fancy playing the entire thing again and potentially having them screw up again for the sake up a little shiny "ding" popup. For example, Fool's Idol with no clone hits didn't pop event though I spent like 10-15 minutes on that fight surgically ensuring I didn't hit a clone.

I've enjoyed my time with it immensely, time to move on.
That's why I backed up my save before every gimmick boss fight so I could restore and try again in case I screwed up the trophies.

SkylineRKR

Faith build finally pays off. Regen ring + blessed weapon + Adjudicator shield. God's Wrath delivering the pain and Second Chance is rather fucking useful. Heal saves grass if you do it on safe moments.

Also have the Moonlight Greatsword and does good damage (though not as good as DBS or Meat Cleaver would with a STR build). Problem is, Colorless souls.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Problem is, Colorless souls.
You get two Colorless Souls from trading Talisman of God and Gold Mask with the Crow in 4-1. Two more from taking Mephistopheles's quest and killing Patches and Biorr. And last one you can find at beginning of 1-1 closed gate that would open from pure white world tendency.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Just finished my first play through! Never got to finish the original version on PS3 so the majority of the game was brand new to me. Screwed up world tendency stuff but that's part of the fun of it.
Finished the game with my starting weapon maxed out long sword+10 and a meat cleaver as my backup. Dropped the heavy armor for the Imperial Spy Set early on and never looked back.

Incredible game and really want to read more about the lore.

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
A freak broke into my game here for the first time. Already in the first soul arrow he felt the mistake. He did not hit me and was humiliated. I'm still more like a mage, but I must evolve into a battle mage. Magic is still making the game considerably easier.

rob_araujoo

Neo Member
Guys, I'm looking to get a dragon bone destroyer. However, at level 2 I tend to white, it is not pure white. is there any way to level another level of white trend ?? I already killed the dragon god.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys, I'm looking to get a dragon bone destroyer. However, at level 2 I tend to white, it is not pure white. is there any way to level another level of white trend ?? I already killed the dragon god.
yeah, have a friend invade you as a black phantom and kill him.

Danjin44

I finally finished my 5th playthrough, now I can put this game down for a while.

Overall I really enjoyed this game a lot but I enjoyed going through the levels more than the boss fights because once you learn each bosses weakness, they are not all that fun to re-fight them.

In games like Sekiro, even you learn each boss attack patterns, it still fun to fight them again because Sekiro's combat is much more skill based and more satisfying, Demons Souls in other hand is much more about memorization.

With that being said, in my opinion Demon's Souls has the best and most fun level designs in any FROM games.

SkylineRKR

You get two Colorless Souls from trading Talisman of God and Gold Mask with the Crow in 4-1. Two more from taking Mephistopheles's quest and killing Patches and Biorr. And last one you can find at beginning of 1-1 closed gate that would open from pure white world tendency.

Yeah I have the last one, and I was about to trade a spare ToG. Still have to do 3-2 anyway. The quest I might start on this run, once I have everything. I figure those NPC are impossible on NG+. I remember as such.

2AdEPT

I'm going to just make the most OP mage I can.
I two shot Leechmonger from high on the ledge before he even saw me at level 30 LOL. You cant really be full mage power without Hyper mode.
Faith build finally pays off. Regen ring + blessed weapon + Adjudicator shield. God's Wrath delivering the pain and Second Chance is rather fucking useful. Heal saves grass if you do it on safe moments.

Also have the Moonlight Greatsword and does good damage (though not as good as DBS or Meat Cleaver would with a STR build). Problem is, Colorless souls.
CDS's arent a problem if you like invading as Monk. Infinite Colourless demons souls for Chrsitmas

Can confirm that crystal lizards get 1 spawn each plus one spawn per boss killed in that world. Cant remember if it was like that in the original. It's been too long. I'm fairly sure they didn't keep on spawning till you got the allowed number of kills in the original though.

Nakasan

This game. I am immensely conflicted by it!!! I've finished all the first bosses in the worlds, plus boss two in world one and really, I have to say, I'm loving it. But I wanted to write down my journey to acceptance on this one!!

1-1 ? Loved it, even the boss. I'm a knight and it seemed to fit right. After that though?

I was getting my ass handed to me, seemingly losing hours of progress at a time, and was fed up with the total lack or explanation over anything. As a melee knight the 2-1 boss seemed impossible to me. Even after watching guides on YouTube. So I skipped to 4-1. That ogre?? Well... that's impossible. And those flying things?! I can't get past a cliff bit while they're annihilating me!!!!? So FINE, I'll skip to 5-1. Controlling the camera, seeing where you are going is challenging in 5-1. That's when I 'decided' that I was going to sell up. Being unclear about what an object is, how to use a weapon in two hands, why I can't use a magic spell, what a boss may or may not be weak to or protected against, camera issues, and those flying pieces of garbage in 4-1 and the ogre... nah. This isn't fun for me. I know the combat is good, but the surrounding package just isn't.

Then I realised I could press the square button on the items screen. I hadn't tried that because square on the equip screen removed the item so I thought it would drop something. This changed a lot. I could understand what items were doing... but those icons...?! Ahhh, if I press triangle on that same screen and go through my Characters stats I can see what they mean because they're labelled there... Which means some items require a minimum of X for stat Y?? Ohh... okay... eh, doesn't help with the flying pieces of sh... is that an arrow I can buy from the blacksmith? they are CHEAP. I wonder...

So on Saturday night I beat two more bosses (4-1, 2-1) and then Sunday I got two more (5-1 and 3-1). And I """"""get it"""""" now. Bow and arrow wielding melee is what I'm all about.

At the minute I think it's a good game despite itself and I really was crazy close to selling it and packing up. I'm glad I didn't. I'm fully abusing a site/channel called FlextraLife when it comes to boss fights now too. I think it's possible the obtuse nature of the game is fully planned and meant to be discussed online in order to progress (kind of harping back to being on the school ground discussing how to get Luigi in Mario 64?) or it is a badly designed game with fantastic combat and atmosphere which the internet papers over the cracks for. So I'm using wikis for items, and guides for boss fights. I never ever use guides as I think it takes away from the experience - but it's having the opposite affect here.

I never post in threads about newly released games in case of being spoiled either, but that doesn't seem important at all with this game so I feel I can read this thread now!

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Ok .. guys I’m at Latria before Maneater boss but the world tendency is fucking black. Now, there is a witch before the boss walking on the stairs ( red one ) is it enough to kill it then the boss? Will this bring the world tendency to white?

begotten

Ok .. guys I’m at Latria before Maneater boss but the world tendency is fucking black. Now, there is a witch before the boss walking on the stairs ( red one ) is it enough to kill it then the boss? Will this bring the world tendency to white?

What have you done exactly in World 3? If you stay in soul form, you should still be able to get Pure White.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
What have you done exactly in World 3? If you stay in soul form, you should still be able to get Pure White.

I’m in soul form but still you didn’t answer my question. Killing the red witch and then killing the boss will it bring the world tendency to pure white?

This world man .. manfuckingeater always get me with that stupid fall

begotten

I’m in soul form but still you didn’t answer my question. Killing the red witch and then killing the boss will it bring the world tendency to pure white?

This world man .. manfuckingeater always get me with that stupid fall

I didn't answer because I don't know how many times you have died in the world already. Also I was seeing if you killed the optional NPC outside of the phantom, and remaining two bosses - which should make the world pure white if all done in soul form.

Danjin44

Unfortunately that red phantom version of those Mind Flayer will be there regardless of world tendency.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Unfortunately that red phantom version of those Mind Flayer will be there regardless of world tendency.
I didn't answer because I don't know how many times you have died in the world already. Also I was seeing if you killed the optional NPC outside of the phantom, and remaining two bosses - which should make the world pure white if all done in soul form.

So .. then I should kill that fucker in prison of hope on the second floor hah?

I tried twice and with one hit he just killed me

Last edited:

2AdEPT

So .. then I should kill that fucker in prison of hope on the second floor hah?

I tried twice and with one hit he just killed me
You can only change the world tendency toward white by killing the boss, invading black phantoms (this works when you help in other peoples game) and named black phantoms like Rydel as you mentioned.

Top Bottom