• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Man

mujun said:
what do ppl think is the best weapon in the game.

my personal pick would be the flaming longsword maxxed to +5.

quick swing unline the kita legaia.

fire damage causes burn stun sometimes.

does something like 300+ when maxxed.

easyish to craft up.

relatively easy to pick up.

heavy attack is pierce not slash (good for trolls).
Crescent Uchigatana is my favorite so far. Haven't gotten to experiment much yet though.

The swing is very fast, and it's got a long reach on it as well. At +4 it's taking most enemies out in 1-2 hits in New Game+. Made very short work of the blue-eyed knight in 1-1. It's also got a piercing heavy attack. Plus MP regen is nice.

StateofMind said:
More advice:

Stage 3 (Latria) is the mage's stage. It may be the hardest one in the game, but you'll find lots of MP items and at the very end you get a demon soul which can upgrade your catalyst (magic stick!) to the Insanity Catalyst. I'm not sure exactly how hard it would be for a new player to tackle those levels, but there's definitely stuff there that you'll want.

Awesome!

Boss Man

Got Doran's armor. :D

Death Cloud is so lovely. Funny that I've been wanting it for so long, but now that I've finally got it I'd rather use my Gloom set.

Scirvir will be mine tomorrow. That talisman is something that I will definitely use.

Defuser

mujun said:

easyish to craft up.

Blueblood Sword.If your faith is very high,it can do over 300 dmg and that is just physical damage,throw in black turpentine or light weapon,it can do over 400/500. Not to mention it has built in hide effect. All you need is astrea soul anda broken sword.

or

Large sword of moonlight. It basically cuts through defenses because it's blade is made of light therefore enemies can't block it.But it need high faith.

Ether_Snake said:
Sony is fucking stupid, this game could be well marketed in the West to the Western RPG crowd, even if few have a PS3 (in fact that would help the PS3). Whatever.
It may have a more mainstream fantasy art-style but the game is incredibly punishing and the design is very Japanese. It would review terribly and sell worse.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rummy Bunnz said:
It may have a more mainstream fantasy art-style but the game is incredibly punishing and the design is very Japanese. It would review terribly and sell worse.

I don't know about that. Sure it would probably have some points deducted for its difficulty (which is ridiculous I know), but because the game is so captivating right from the start I think most reviewers would actually play the thing and enjoy it. I bet it would review fairly well, but this isn't quite the type of game to sell millions. It is awesome, but it just isn't mainstream.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mujun said:

easyish to craft up.

How do you go about making that? I've played the game a ton, but I haven't messed around much with crafting weapons and tend to just stick with the Kita Legaia.

Is it an upgrade of the Dragon Longsword (Japanese name: 龍のロングソード)?

Defuser

Zefah said:
How do you go about making that? I've played the game a ton, but I haven't messed around much with crafting weapons and tend to just stick with the Kita Legaia.

Is it an upgrade of the Dragon Longsword (Japanese name: 龍のロングソード)?
Yes.

mujun

Defuser said:
Blueblood Sword.If your faith is very high,it can do over 300 dmg and that is just physical damage,throw in black turpentine or light weapon,it can do over 400/500. Not to mention it has built in hide effect. All you need is astrea soul anda broken sword.

or

Large sword of moonlight. It basically cuts through defenses because it's blade is made of light therefore enemies can't block it.But it need high faith.

i had both but never used them over the old warriors crescent sword with my first character.

blue blood id like to look at again but used the soul already. moonlight is too heavy, i get myself into trouble with slow weapons.

just did a bunch of online as a blue soul helping ppl do flamelurker runs, so fun :)

eXistor

Damn, can't get past the blue dragon in 1-4. The first run is easy, but
when he's perched on the tower he roasts me within seconds. Biorr died during the Penetrator fight (I didn't realise he was so easy, so I hung back way too long and when I killed him Biorr had just died). So am I screwed or what? I can't see an opening anywhere and I don't have one-time revival. In case I do make it: will 600 Heavy arrows kill him off? I was doing about 26 damage on the runway to him with arrows

mujun

eXistor said:
when he's perched on the tower he roasts me within seconds. Biorr died during the Penetrator fight (I didn't realise he was so easy, so I hung back way too long and when I killed him Biorr had just died). So am I screwed or what? I can't see an opening anywhere and I don't have one-time revival. In case I do make it: will 600 Heavy arrows kill him off? I was doing about 26 damage on the runway to him with arrows

you dont need to kill him. like all the breath runs, inch forward to find out exactly where the edge of his attack is and run from there. when hes like halfway through an attack bolt up the stairs. make sure you scope out any potential obstacles before hand ;)

PuMa

Defuser said:

or

Where do you find the astrea soul? I'd love to try this blueblood sword out...

RavenFox

Banned
mujun said:
what items. im pretty sure i have every item you are going to list :p

list away anyway though please just so i can be sure.
Do you have the ring of Avarice? If you do then by all means wear it when grinding for souls.

RavenFox said:
Same here, but who knows in a future update it just might.
That's what I'm hoping.

Also I really hope the game does well enough for them to add (even as DLC) the 6th broken Archstone, the land of giants could be so awesome. They should also add a PvP arena, make it 2v2.

matmanx1

I dont know that I agree with the "ridiculous" difficulty statement but I havent seen and experienced the entire game yet. I do know that the game will kill you at the drop of a hat and doesnt hold your hand in any way, but I'm not sure thats the same thing as being ridiculously difficult.

I certainly wouldnt hesitate to recommend this game to any of my "gamer" friends (and have done so already) because I think anyone who's an experienced gamer could use their brain and figure out a way to overcome everything Demon's Souls throws at you. And that's one of the great things about Demon's Souls; it IS a hard game but there's always options for progressing (be it co-op or leveling in an area you've already finished or upgrading your equipment) in some meaningful way. And of course when you do finally manage to take out that tough boss or enemy you were previously struggling with it feels all the better! (Flamelurker I'm looking at you!)

I personally started on 1-3 (and am about lvl 45) and the difficulty there is a ramp up from anything I've done before. I got a ways into it and nearly died a couple of times but had a complete blast doing it. I havent finished it (I think I'll finish area 4 first) but I cant wait to go back when I'm a little bit more powerful and see how it goes. Oh and I killed that stupid orange dragon finally. Now THAT was satisfying!

Boss Man

eXistor said:
I was stuck there as well, but someone here recommended that I throw up my shield as I run across. Worked like a charm.
Just watch him roast one side of the stairs, then run up that side with your shield up as soon as he's done.

man,... very glad i saved the valley of defilement for last - i swear, if i'd tried doing 5-2 any earlier, i'm not sure i'd've had the guts to go on :) . the most disgusting/intimidating level i've played in a game in a while (tho it actually wasn't all that hard), &, as others've mentioned, finally finding that shortcut was one of the high points of the whole game for me...

eXistor

mujun said:
you dont need to kill him. like all the breath runs, inch forward to find out exactly where the edge of his attack is and run from there. when hes like halfway through an attack bolt up the stairs. make sure you scope out any potential obstacles before hand ;)
I want the trophy and soul he drops though.

I actually made it up to the top of the stairs, but couldn't find a good spot to snipe. I have read that directly under him is a good place and your spells can hit him.

Anyway I skipped that part for now and finally started world 5. 5-1 was easy as pie, but 5-2 is giving me some problems, but nothing I can't handle ;) I loved the bit where you get
the Large Sword of Moonlight

mujun

eXistor said:
I want the trophy and soul he drops though.

I actually made it up to the top of the stairs, but couldn't find a good spot to snipe. I have read that directly under him is a good place and your spells can hit him.

Anyway I skipped that part for now and finally started world 5. 5-1 was easy as pie, but 5-2 is giving me some problems, but nothing I can't handle ;) I loved the bit where you get
the Large Sword of Moonlight

yeah knocking that thing down and grabbing the sword is very cool (and nasty) ;)

garath

Ok, so I feel pretty silly here but I can't seem to find this crow in 4-1. I even stumbled across and beat the boss without finding the crow lol.

I'd really like to get the mana regen ring and have a brass telescope burning a hole in my pocket.

mujun

garath said:
Ok, so I feel pretty silly here but I can't seem to find this crow in 4-1. I even stumbled across and beat the boss without finding the crow lol.

I'd really like to get the mana regen ring and have a brass telescope burning a hole in my pocket.
up on the battlements there are two skele archers just before you fight the axe demon.

behind them is another single archer above the side path you take to get further into the rear battlements. get up on the tower where the lone skele archer is and iirc the door at the bottom facing the start area takes you up a slope. at the top of the first part of the slope you hairpin, continue up and bingo.

dont mix it up with the left tower at the gate where the two archers are. that leads to a red eye.

MightyKAC

Well I FINALLY got my PS3 repaired and sent back from Sony (they even fixed up my busted looking outer casing) so after almost a month of staring at the games box and reading about how much you bastards (j/k)
not really :p
are having soooo much fun with this game now I FINALLY get to play it.

Just as get back from taking my G/F to Disneyland....

WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!

:p

MightyKAC said:
Well I FINALLY got my PS3 repaired and sent back from Sony (they even fixed up my busted looking outer casing) so after almost a month of staring at the games box and reading about how much you bastards (j/k)
not really :p
are having soooo much fun with this game now I FINALLY get to play it.

Just as get back from taking my G/F to Disneyland....

WHY GOD WHY!!!!!!!!

:p

And I just got home from work at Disneyland!

My thoughts after playing through a few chapters:

HOLY FUCK

This game is brutal, unrelenting and harsh. It isn't what I thought it'd be, but it isn't any worse because of that. It has an almost Rouge like/western/JRPG feeling to the gameplay. Very little is explained to you, you wander around, dead (literally), and fight your way through lonely, drafty corridors.

But you know what?

I had trouble beating 1-1, must of died nearly a dozen times, I was frustrated, furious and agitated. But even through the frustration, I didn't give up. Before I knew it, two hours had passed by and my determination wouldn't let me stop until I reached my goal. And once I did...let me tell you...

It is a feeling of accomplishment I have never felt in any other RPG.

Worth every penny.

Hey guys, in 4-2 where you rescue Saint Urbain there's an item with a dead body on top of a spire or rock - is it possible to get the item? I can't seem to get high enough to pick it up and can't drop on it from the hole above.

mujun

Bootaaay said:
Hey guys, in 4-2 where you rescue Saint Urbain there's an item with a dead body on top of a spire or rock - is it possible to get the item? I can't seem to get high enough to pick it up and can't drop on it from the hole above.

you need white tendency maxxed then talk to guy at start area of 4-1 then return to the rock and youll be able to get it.

Boss Man

TheChillyAcademic said:
And I just got home from work at Disneyland!

My thoughts after playing through a few chapters:

HOLY FUCK

This game is brutal, unrelenting and harsh. It isn't what I thought it'd be, but it isn't any worse because of that. It has an almost Rouge like/western/JRPG feeling to the gameplay. Very little is explained to you, you wander around, dead (literally), and fight your way through lonely, drafty corridors.

But you know what?

I had trouble beating 1-1, must of died nearly a dozen times, I was frustrated, furious and agitated. But even through the frustration, I didn't give up. Before I knew it, two hours had passed by and my determination wouldn't let me stop until I reached my goal. And once I did...let me tell you...

It is a feeling of accomplishment I have never felt in any other RPG.

Worth every penny.

Sounds like my experience early on. Keep at it, once you start learning the mechanics and building up your character the game will open up and be a lot more enjoyable.

Llyranor

Can you guys try to sell me on the game? I mean, all these 'best PS3 RPG' claims have piqued my interest. From the videos, all I've really managed to get is that it's a slow-paced action RPG. The claims of difficulty are a very good thing for me.

But, what's actually compelling about the gameplay? Can someone explain the actual mechanics? I'm not sure it's something you can just see from videos.

Boss Man

Llyranor said:
Can you guys try to sell me on the game? I mean, all these 'best PS3 RPG' claims have piqued my interest. From the videos, all I've really managed to get is that it's a slow-paced action RPG. The claims of difficulty are a very good thing for me.

But, what's actually compelling about the gameplay? Can someone explain the actual mechanics? I'm not sure it's something you can just see from videos.
I haven't played any games that were really comparable to Demon's Souls in mechanics, so I can't explain it...but I can say that the videos do not do the gameplay justice at all. I thought the game looked boring in videos. It's completely opposite of that. There's a lot of skill and variety involved in the combat, maybe that's it. If you don't block or roll at the right time, you could die. If you attack at the wrong time, you could die.

garath

mujun said:
up on the battlements there are two skele archers just before you fight the axe demon.

behind them is another single archer above the side path you take to get further into the rear battlements. get up on the tower where the lone skele archer is and iirc the door at the bottom facing the start area takes you up a slope. at the top of the first part of the slope you hairpin, continue up and bingo.

dont mix it up with the left tower at the gate where the two archers are. that leads to a red eye.

Thanks, I'll take a better look tonight. I know the skel archer that you are talking about and I do remember never getting up there. I'll look harder today.

Bootaaay said:

Lol. I wanted to ask that exact question but forgot. I must have tried to drop down on it like 50 times before I moved on.

I haven't done anything with my tendencies yet. Need to revisit the wiki and start working on it.

PuMa

Llyranor said:

Because of the difficulty of the game, it's extremely rewarding when you are successful. The gameplay is exciting because you have to tackle many situations differently in order to stay alive. That may include using a different weapon or simply modifying your battle technique. Learning when to attack, block, or roll is key and varies from enemy to enemy.

Another big draw, for me at least, is gaining soul levels and collecting new items and upgrading them. Very addicting.

Llyranor

Does the combat play like Mount & Blade, by any chance? The Elder Scrolls comparisons urk me a bit, since Morrowind and Oblivion both had pretty awful combat.

What do the actual controls consist of? What moves are available from said controls? Could you describe a scenario/example of how a cool fight would play out?

I'm quite a fan of difficult technical games, usually.

RavenFox

Banned
Last night playing co-op with a bunch of players was the most fun ever. We killed dragons, red phantoms, black phantoms, possessed knights you name it. We owned the night :D

Defuser

Llyranor said:
Does the combat play like Mount & Blade, by any chance? The Elder Scrolls comparisons urk me a bit, since Morrowind and Oblivion both had pretty awful combat.

What do the actual controls consist of? What moves are available from said controls? Could you describe a scenario/example of how a cool fight would play out?

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/controls

You can check youtube for videos.

KTallguy

Banned
Llyranor said:

Combat is a bazillion times better than Elder Scrolls.

You can lock on to an enemy and move around them, block and parry while running and sprinting, you have a heavy attack and a light attack, there is a special back attack and parry attack where you can encircle and backstab an enemy, or parry a blow and counter.

Light years away from elder scrolls. Trust me.

garath

KTallguy said:
Combat is a bazillion times better than Elder Scrolls.

You can lock on to an enemy and move around them, block and parry while running and sprinting, you have a heavy attack and a light attack, there is a special back attack and parry attack where you can encircle and backstab an enemy, or parry a blow and counter.

Light years away from elder scrolls. Trust me.

KT put it well. You also control each hand independently. If you have a shield in the left hand, L1 brings it up to block. L2 thrusts the shield forward, either parrying the attack and leaving the opponent open or in some cases it's a shield bash (particularly nice with the spiked shield).

There's a variety of weapons and they all handle differently. It's almost like a different game using a big club vs a curved blade or a small quick dagger.

I'd say a Mount and Blade comparison is worth mentioning but there isn't the same sense of momentum as there is in M&B. There's also no "charging" up swings like M&B. But you can still have your weapon hit walls (try using a big slashing weapon in a small hallway.. ouch) and have a distinct sense of speed and power. Range and movement plays a big part in the combat.

It's refreshing. Very good.

Llyranor

I read through some of the Wiki link, and the controls sound pretty good. I feel as though I have somewhat of a better idea of what the game plays like.

Has any NA localization been officially announced? I realize the Asian version is all English and is region-free, but I don't tend to import.

(It's really too bad about the limited co-op. It would have been nice to have full co-op and have the game scale based on the number of players, instead of having the limited co-op just make for an easier experience).

RavenFox

Banned
Llyranor said:
I read through some of the Wiki link, and the controls sound pretty good. I feel as though I have somewhat of a better idea of what the game plays like.

Has any NA localization been officially announced? I realize the Asian version is all English and is region-free, but I don't tend to import.

(It's really too bad about the limited co-op. It would have been nice to have full co-op and have the game scale based on the number of players, instead of having the limited co-op just make for an easier experience).
Your judging co-op without playing it first. You will understand why the co-op is the way it is. I like it exactly how it is.

Lion Heart said:
I've never landed a successful counter, can it only be used against enemies with weapons? How exactly do I do it?
Timing sir. Yeah I think only weapons but hey I could be mistaken.

Defuser

Lion Heart said:
I've never landed a successful counter, can it only be used against enemies with weapons? How exactly do I do it?
Counter? You mean parrying?If so then yes,you just have to time it right.When the enemies about to hit you,press L2 to deflect the attack and quickly press R1 to deliver a counter blow.

mujun

Llyranor said:
It's really too bad about the limited co-op. It would have been nice to have full co-op and have the game scale based on the number of players, instead of having the limited co-op just make for an easier experience.

the online interaction is the way it is for a reason, its tied to things like world tendency and game progression very tightly.

still i agree some sort of "from the main screen" multiplayer only mode or create a game and invite mode would be cool to have too.

PuMa

Llyranor said:

This was the first game I've ever imported, and it was well worth it. Take the plunge!

Ok, time to noob up the thread with some questions:

As a magic user (noble by suggestion), should I be pumping my stats in magic/will/miracles? Do I need to balance out my stats overall, or is specializing ok?

Does it make sense to purchase new armor early in the game? Or does upgrading and repairing a better route to go?

If I think of anymore lol I'll be certain to ask them!

garath

TheChillyAcademic said:
Ok, time to noob up the thread with some questions:

As a magic user (noble by suggestion), should I be pumping my stats in magic/will/miracles? Do I need to balance out my stats overall, or is specializing ok?

Does it make sense to purchase new armor early in the game? Or does upgrading and repairing a better route to go?

If I think of anymore lol I'll be certain to ask them!

About armor, hit 3-1. There is a full set of magic user armor and a couple other toys that will help a fledgling magic user work it out.

garath said:
About armor, hit 3-1. There is a full set of magic user armor and a couple other toys that will help a fledgling magic user work it out.

While I understand the whole 2-1, 4-2 3-1 etc, I never actually see that in the game. Is one of the archstones considered 1 and another 2?

garath

TheChillyAcademic said:
While I understand the whole 2-1, 4-2 3-1 etc, I never actually see that in the game. Is one of the archstones considered 1 and another 2?

The first archstone that you can go in (and subsequently overcome the boss Phalanx) is 1. From there, they are numbered left to right (jump over the broken one) to 5. Within those, each waypoint designates another section, i.e. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, so on. You need to beat a boss to get to the waypoints though. So once you beat Phalanx you'll have access to 1-2, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom