• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tylahedras said:
God damn, just listening to you guys talk about this game makes me want to play it so badly!
It's just a mouse click on the internet and away it goes to your home. What are you waiting for!? Totally worth it.

RavenFox

Banned
Well I saved Yuria last night and I Love her voice. They really did a good job with the English voices. Now the
Silent Chief
is running amok from what I was told. Have to find and
slay
the bastard.:D

thebigkahuna said:
It's just a mouse click on the internet and away it goes to your home. What are you waiting for!? Totally worth it.

Still waiting and hoping for a us release with trophies. :p

Also I'm concerned with how patches, etc will work with a foreign version...

It's nice to know though that this gen I can actually play games that don't come to the US.

Tylahedras said:

It's nice to know though that this gen I can actually play games that don't come to the US.

the asian version's got trophies (in english). the patches've worked fine...

but, please, by all means, continue waiting (& continue to mention you're waiting) if it makes you happy :) ...

RavenFox

Banned
Tylahedras said:

Once again its in English even the voices and all trophies are in English.

PuMa

Tylahedras said:

Yeah, didnt you say this earlier in the thread (too lazy to read back) and everyone confirmed for you that there are trophies??

PuMa said:
Yeah, didnt you say this earlier in the thread (too lazy to read back) and everyone confirmed for you that there are trophies.

Wow, if they did I missed it, done deal I'll go try to find the Asian version for sale.

:)

PuMa

Tylahedras said:
Wow, if they did I missed it, done deal I'll go try to find the Asian version for sale.

:)

Yeah man its worth it. I just got my copy in last week after mulling it over for a week or two. Been loving it so far.

PuMa said:
Yeah man its worth it. I just got my copy in last week after mulling it over for a week or two. Been loving it so far.

What's a good site to get it from? Playasia's pretty expensive I take it since it's back stocked that's gonna be the norm?

PuMa

Tylahedras said:
What's a good site to get it from? Playasia's pretty expensive I take it since it's back stocked that's gonna be the norm?

NCSX (ncsxshop.com) seems to get pretty regular shipments. It ships from NY though, so I don't know if that impacts you at all.

PuMa said:
NCSX (ncsxshop.com) seems to get pretty regular shipments. It ships from NY though, so I don't know if that impacts you at all.

That's a little better, and just to confirm, it's the Asia version I want right? Pretty sure you guy's were saying that was the best one.

PuMa

Tylahedras said:
That's a little better, and just to confirm, it's the Asia version I want right? Pretty sure you guy's were saying that was the best one.

Yes, the Asian version is the one with full English text and voice. Don't get the Korean or Japanese versions.

Boss Man

Ok Scirvir is pissing me off. I got pure black on 2, twice. I used eyes to suicide 4 times, going back to the nexus after each.

I hop down on the right side of 2-2, by the two crystal geckos and the man hanging on the plank...and no Scirvir. I'm already missing Doran's armor because Ostrava disappeared after I saved him in 1-3, now this.

Krelian

Tailzo said:
I am from Europe, I used yes-asia.
It seems to be out of stock at the moment, though. It ships within 30 days and I kind of don't want to wait that long :lol Thanks anyway.

I found some interesting Ebay offers, I think I'll just buy it from there.

ChrisD84

I'm getting a bit lost on 2-2 at the moment, am i supposed to be going towards that lava filled area? I found my way there a few times but i didn't see a way to get past all the lava except for the ground around the edges.

Also, who is the guy that was outside, on the left side of the map i think, who waves at you? I killed that big lava bug behind him first without speaking to him, which then blew up and damaged him. When i spoke to him after that he would only repeatedly ask "how did you do that?" or something along those lines, and now when i go back there he is gone.

Is that what was supposed to happen?

BadAss84 said:
Also, who is the guy that was outside, on the left side of the map i think, who waves at you? I killed that big lava bug behind him first without speaking to him, which then blew up and damaged him. When i spoke to him after that he would only repeatedly ask "how did you do that?" or something along those lines, and now when i go back there he is gone.

That was Patches - if you talk to him before killing the bug, he tricks you into getting the item from behind the bug, at which point the bug falls down trapping you. Patches then runs off leaving you to either kill the bug or drop down the path behind it further into the lava pit.

RavenFox

Banned
BadAss84 said:
I'm getting a bit lost on 2-2 at the moment, am i supposed to be going towards that lava filled area? I found my way there a few times but i didn't see a way to get past all the lava except for the ground around the edges.

Yes walk along the edge to the right and you will eventually reach a cave to go into. Patches will eventually appear in the Nexus up the steps close to the broken warp stone.
Funny thing is this lvl changed for me when I went to tackle the boss again the other night. Weird but cool.

StateofMind said:
Ok Scirvir is pissing me off. I got pure black on 2, twice. I used eyes to suicide 4 times, going back to the nexus after each.

I hop down on the right side of 2-2, by the two crystal geckos and the man hanging on the plank...and no Scirvir. I'm already missing Doran's armor because Ostrava disappeared after I saved him in 1-3, now this.
You should get that armor form the old King in 1-1 if I'm not mistaken. He's after the possessed Knight. Need a key to open the doors though.

mujun

RavenFox said:
Yes walk along the edge to the right and you will eventually reach a cave to go into. Patches will eventually appear in the Nexus up the steps close to the broken warp stone.
Funny thing is this lvl changed for me when I went to tackle the boss again the other night. Weird but cool.

You should get that armor form the old King in 1-1 if I'm not mistaken. He's after the possessed Knight. Need a key to open the doors though.

his problem is that ostrava has the key ;)

ChrisD84

Ah ok, thanks guys.

I also realised where i was supposed to go next, i hadn't been to the very bottom of the long shaft where you have to drop down from the various walkways. Now i'm at the boss area :D

Boss Man

mujun said:
from what ive heard he can disappear. not be around 1-3 or in the nexus.
I went through all of 1-3 without checking around for him. I ran into him after I had already cleared the level, and couldn't figure out how to open that gate from the other side. I ran up top and dropped down with him and fought off the knights. He thanked me. I noticed he was stuck behind the gate still, so I went back to the other side to check it out. Saw the lever this time and opened the gate. He walked out, all he said when I talked to him was thanks (wasn't he supposed to give me an item?). I went on to Penetrator, Ostrava didn't fight with me. Haven't seen him since. I've gone through the level several times looking for his body. Nothing.

Now on 2-2, I have no idea what's going on. I go pure black, go down to the tunnel with the two geckos, and I can tell that's where he's supposed to be. I see bloodstains of people fighting (there's nothing else to fight there) and I see a little camp set up. No Scirvir though. If I go pure white and he shows up, can I kill him for the talisman or does he have to be a phantom (black)?

RavenFox

Banned
StateofMind said:
I went through all of 1-3 without checking around for him. I ran into him after I had already cleared the level, and couldn't figure out how to open that gate from the other side. I ran up top and dropped down with him and fought off the knights. He thanked me. I noticed he was stuck behind the gate still, so I went back to the other side to check it out. Saw the lever this time and opened the gate. He walked out, all he said when I talked to him was thanks (wasn't he supposed to give me an item?). I went on to Penetrator, Ostrava didn't fight with me. Haven't seen him since. I've gone through the level several times looking for his body. Nothing.

Now on 2-2, I have no idea what's going on. I go pure black, go down to the tunnel with the two geckos, and I can tell that's where he's supposed to be. I see bloodstains of people fighting (there's nothing else to fight there) and I see a little camp set up. No Scirvir though. If I go pure white and he shows up, can I kill him for the talisman or does he have to be a phantom (black)?
Please read the Wiki :). Ostrava has nothing to do with your fight with Penetrator.
Biorr is who you are referring to. He is located between the underpass just before the Tower Knight. You need to get a key from a fat magician in 1-3 to open the door to him and then you fight another fat magician to gain the key to his cell.

grendelrt

Does anyone have anymore sales data on the game? Did it break 100K in Japan? I am curious after it voted #1 most pleasing game on that famitsu article. I wonder how many it has sold for the Asian and Korean versions.

DaveKap

Banned
grendelrt said:
Does anyone have anymore sales data on the game? Did it break 100K in Japan? I am curious after it voted #1 most pleasing game on that famitsu article. I wonder how many it has sold for the Asian and Korean versions.

A certain stat-tracking website says they just broke 100k this week in Japan. No information on if that includes the korean and chinese versions (since they stick to JP/NA/EU numbers only). The sales data makes it look as though this won't see 200k any time soon. :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sony is fucking stupid, this game could be well marketed in the West to the Western RPG crowd, even if few have a PS3 (in fact that would help the PS3). Whatever.

Boss Man

TheChillyAcademic said:
About to fire this up in 30 minutes! I'll post my impressions soon enough!
You probably won't realize how awesome it is until you get the first level or so underneath your belt. For me, it was as soon as I finally found the boss in the first level.

mujun

Ether_Snake said:
Sony is fucking stupid, this game could be well marketed in the West to the Western RPG crowd, even if few have a PS3 (in fact that would help the PS3). Whatever.

i dont see it, as much as i wish ppl would love it i think for most its a bit too hard/hardcore.

pcostabel

Gold Member
mujun said:
i dont see it, as much as i wish ppl would love it i think for most its a bit too hard/hardcore.

Agree. They should just let you restart from the last save, like when you cheat and quit after you die. Everything else is hard but not frustrating.

StateofMind said:
You probably won't realize how awesome it is until you get the first level or so underneath your belt. For me, it was as soon as I finally found the boss in the first level.

Interestingly enough, I have to update the software first...gonna take a while -.-

Somnia

Just ordered it from NCSX so hoping to have it sometime next week. Really looking forward to it based off everyone's impressions in here. Only my second game imported (well 1st since FFXIII demo is later down the road)...glad PS3 makes it easy on me.

Seems to me to match Western tastes just fine. Better than some anime inspired off brand shit JRPG.

Diablo did wonders for the hack and slash type of game in the West. Having not yet played it, it seems, in theme and somewhat in gameplay, to be kinda similar to a Diablo/dungeon crawler type game. Which is awesome.

Boss Man

Just finished the game. The ending was awesome (literally) and a true work of art. This will sit next to Final Fantasy IX as one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Now on to New Game+! Ostrava's ass is going to die quick this time. Not waiting for another glitch. Hopefully Scirvir will show up now too.

mujun

StateofMind said:
Just finished the game. The ending was awesome (literally) and a true work of art. This will sit next to Final Fantasy IX as one of my favorite RPGs of all time. Now on to New Game+! Ostrava's ass is going to die quick this time. Not waiting for another glitch. Hopefully Scirvir will show up now too.

grr.. new game + is too hard.

they should double (again) the amount of souls you get when you play a new game + imo.

Boss Man

mujun said:

they should double (again) the amount of souls you get when you play a new game + imo.

So far it hasn't been too bad at all for me. I'm level 78 and waiting to use 135,000 (plus whatever I get for finishing the first level) souls. I'm about to
the bridge with the two dragons
and it's been smooth sailing. Hopefully Phalanx plays nice.

So I've played almost 20 minutes of the game so far and well..

I'M SOLD :D

Anyone have any advice for an up and coming mage?

Edit: Game is sort of an Ico esque RPG, at least artistically.

Boss Man

TheChillyAcademic said:
So I've played almost 20 minutes of the game so far and well..

I'M SOLD :D

Anyone have any advice for an up and coming mage?

Edit: Game is sort of an Ico esque RPG, at least artistically.
Pick Royal instead of Magician. You get an MP regen ring and Soul Arrow. Starting classes don't mean anything more to your final build than starting. You can grow him into a full blown mage just as soon as you would any other class. You'll be very strong to start out, and it'll be easy to stock up on souls/buy new spells/etc.

RavenFox

Banned
mujun said:

Thats why you explore and collect items and weapons that will help you in new game + and when that broken warp stone will be available to us. There are things that increase soul points from enemies.
Had a great run co-op today in 3-1 then a phantom invaded to F with us. Kicked Fool Idols butt and wow what a lvl.

StateofMind said:
Pick Royal instead of Magician. You get an MP regen ring and Soul Arrow. Starting classes don't mean anything more to your final build than starting. You can grow him into a full blown mage just as soon as you would any other class. You'll be very strong to start out, and it'll be easy to stock up on souls/buy new spells/etc.

Really? I just got the nexus with my mage >.<

Why specifically, if you dont mind answering, is a royal better?

Is a Royal more like...a redmage lol

grendelrt said:

I really want to know too, there are tons of people talking about this game all over the internet. It's got to be selling well.

Boss Man

My Crescent Uchigatana+4 is monstrous. Need pure Darkmoonstone to get that shit maxed.

I want so bad to dual wield two of them, but I suck in close combat without a shield.

Boss Man

TheChillyAcademic said:
Really? I just got the nexus with my mage >.<

Why specifically, if you dont mind answering, is a royal better?

Is a Royal more like...a redmage lol
You'll get back in half the time, and it'll be worth it.

Classes don't really mean anything at all in this game. Just what you start with. Royal gives you MP regen and Soul Arrow. It's a deadly combination, and sets you up as a mage better than any other class. The final outcome could be the same between any class. They could all end up being mages. It's just that the initial set up of the Royal class is very strong and magic-oriented.

If nothing else, you could try it out on another save. I believe you can have four characters at a time.

StateofMind said:
You'll get back in half the time, and it'll be worth it.

Classes don't really mean anything at all in this game. Just what you start with. Royal gives you MP regen and Soul Arrow. It's a deadly combination, and sets you up as a mage better than any other class.

If nothing else, you could try it out on another save. I believe you can have four characters at a time.

Much appreciated!!

mujun

RavenFox said:
Thats why you explore and collect items and weapons that will help you in new game + and when that broken warp stone will be available to us. There are things that increase soul points from enemies.
Had a great run co-op today in 3-1 then a phantom invaded to F with us. Kicked Fool Idols butt and wow what a lvl.

what items. im pretty sure i have every item you are going to list :p

list away anyway though please just so i can be sure.

Boss Man

TheChillyAcademic said:
Much appreciated!!
More advice:

Stage 3 (Latria) is the mage's stage. It may be the hardest one in the game, but you'll find lots of MP items and at the very end you get a demon soul which can upgrade your catalyst (magic stick!) to the Insanity Catalyst. I'm not sure exactly how hard it would be for a new player to tackle those levels, but there's definitely stuff there that you'll want.

mujun

what do ppl think is the best weapon in the game.

my personal pick would be the flaming longsword maxxed to +5.

quick swing unline the kita legaia.

fire damage causes burn stun sometimes.

does something like 300+ when maxxed.

easyish to craft up.

relatively easy to pick up.

heavy attack is pierce not slash (good for trolls).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom