• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Tylahedras said:
I'd really like to play this, but I'm still hoping for a US release since that would probably have trophies...
wut? All PS3 games are required to have trophies after Jan 09 but this game is released in Feb therefore all JP,Asian and Korean version of Demon Soul has trophies.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I started work on a LittleBigPlanet version of Boletaria Palace 1-1. It is going to take forever, and it probably won't be any good. I've got an Archstone spawn point at the beginning, and I've got the first set of stairs in place, and tomorrow I will make one of those blobby shielded dudes that shoot spikes at you, as well as the rest of the enemies. I think Phalanx will be an easy boss to reproduce..

PuMa

Zefah said:
Remember these initial choices do not decide you "class" because there isn't any such thing in this game. All the initial choices decide is what your starting statistics, soul level and equipment will be. A good rule of thumb is that if your choice starts you with a higher level then you will probably have worse equipment. For example the background that starts with the highest level has no armor.

You will be heavily customizing your character's stats and equipment as you go along, so don't worry too much about your initial choice. If you want to be a caster then you should probably start as a Noble, though. They start out with a mana regeneration ring that will help you immensely throughout the earlier parts of the game when mana recovery items are still extremely hard to come by.

Thanks for the advice. I started as a wanderer and played about 2 hours or so last night. Got far enough to kill the first demon boss. Loving the game so far.

RavenFox

Banned
Captain Pants said:
lol... Elaborate. Is there some hidden something I'm not aware of?

As good ol Defuser wrote
Defuser said:
It's mean your character tendency is white. If your character tendency is black,you will unlock a side quest which involves Yurt and Mephistopheles. Not to mention if your friend uses Rage of God,you will get hurt by it since you're 'evil'. Not sure how accurate is it.

Tylahedras said:
I'd really like to play this, but I'm still hoping for a US release since that would probably have trophies...
No worries it has a lot of trophies and they even show them on playfire.

eXistor

RavenFox said:
Valley of Defilement. That place is fucking disgusting lol
You will never find a more wretched place of scum and villainy.
Clearly you haven't been to Mêlée Island ;)

eXistor

RavenFox said:
eek! please do tell he he:D
Monkey Island reference. You would have to have played the game to really get it I guess :)

Anyway, I did a bit of grinding in 4-2 (having both the Avarice Ring and Silver Bracelet helps) so I hope I'm ready now to fuck up some of the more dickheaded souls tonight.

matmanx1

Dont be scared off by the difficulty. The game is tough but not cheap. There's always a good approach to any enemy and it usually only requires a little experience before you understand what that approach is. First time you see something new be cautious and watchful. Notice how the enemy moves and their attack patterns and counter appropriately. Every subsequent time you encounter that enemy it will be that much easier to deal with. (And it's also really satisfying to destroy something easily that used to be really tough)!

And it cant be overstated that ranged attacks are really useful in Demon's Sous. Buy or acquire a bow and at least one offensive spell (Soul Arrow is probably the best to start with as it has a cheaper MP cost and works on just about everything to some degree) and learn to use them well. Softening up your enemy (or killing them outright) from range is a smart and effective strategy.

Flib

Game arrived yesterday, played about 2 hours last night, and all I have to say is: good god, the combat is satisfying. Getting my ass kicked but having a total blast (playing as a Noble).

I loved walking in the tutorial boss' room and before even being able to register "that's a huge freaking sword," I was dead:lol

RavenFox

Banned
eXistor said:
Monkey Island reference. You would have to have played the game to really get it I guess :)

Anyway, I did a bit of grinding in 4-2 (having both the Avarice Ring and Silver Bracelet helps) so I hope I'm ready now to fuck up some of the more dickheaded souls tonight.
lol ok got it.
Tonight Im going to see how many weapons I can get ed to make. Well first I have to beat
Flamelurker

Went into my first NG+ yesterday, cleared 1-1 in a straight run, now I'm torn between continuing to play with my wanderer or starting a new character...

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
Went into my first NG+ yesterday, cleared 1-1 in a straight run, now I'm torn between continuing to play with my wanderer or starting a new character...
Continued my character and start a new char at the same time. That way,I'll keeping working on my trophies while I use my new char to help out gaffers(e.g helping you out yesterday)

ChrisD84

I think i remember reading the answer in this thread before, but i can't find it now. Who is it that you have to kill to stop the 3-1 boss from re-spawning?

The wiki says this:

Remember that guy sitting above the church near the key and begs you not to kill him? Kill him. It sounds heartless, but if you fight Fool's idol without killing him, she will respawn

But i can't recall seeing such a guy :p

Boss Man

Where the hell is Ostrava? The last time I saw him was when I killed the red-eyed knights and freed him out of the gate in 1-3. He said "Thanks for freeing me." The level was empty, and then I went to fight Penetrator. Was Ostrava supposed to fight with me? He didn't.

PuMa

So I'm trying to play some co-op with my friend, and we can't seem to join up online. Is there something stupid I'm missing here? I'm in soul form, and I put up a soul sign, but he can't see it (he's in physical form). Any tips?

RavenFox

Banned
StateofMind said:
Where the hell is Ostrava? The last time I saw him was when I killed the red-eyed knights and freed him out of the gate in 1-3. He said "Thanks for freeing me." The level was empty, and then I went to fight Penetrator. Was Ostrava supposed to fight with me? He didn't.
That's weird. Did you speak to him until he fell asleep? He showed up for me and we kicked ass.

PuMa said:
So I'm trying to play some co-op with my friend, and we can't seem to join up online. Is there something stupid I'm missing here? I'm in soul form, and I put up a soul sign, but he can't see it (he's in physical form). Any tips?
What are your levels? Seeing a summon sign relies on your lvl.

PuMa

RavenFox said:
That's weird. Did you speak to him until he fell asleep? He showed up for me and we kicked ass.

What are your levels? Seeing a summon sign relies on your lvl.

I'm 12 and he's 11. Can he not summon a soul higher than him?

BadAss84 said:
I think i remember reading the answer in this thread before, but i can't find it now. Who is it that you have to kill to stop the 3-1 boss from re-spawning?

The wiki says this:

But i can't recall seeing such a guy :p

if you were to stand in front of the huge arrow-shooting machine, facing it (which you definitely don't want to do) there are towers a bit behind it, to the left & right. the guy you're looking for can be found via the right tower (all the way up, & then all the way to the end)...

Defuser

PuMa said:
I'm 12 and he's 11. Can he not summon a soul higher than him?
Difference should be 10 level - or +(now 20 level in new patch). So you're able to coop with no problem.

Most likely he's trying to summon in the area where he already completed the boss already. That's the only reason I could think of. Find a area where both you and him have not completed it yet.

Defuser

DeathGlobe said:
Can't beat the 2nd boss,that shield of his needs to be rammed up his ass
Weapon + Turpentine.

Move around, try to end up behind him and attack both the ankles.From there he will start his falling animation which you better move out of the way or else you get hit too. When he is on the ground,attack the head where you can deal massive damage to it.

Boss Man

Someone earlier mentioned that the revive stones were cheap to buy. The cheapest I can find them is for 30k from Patches. Anyone know an easy way to go about getting the gate open in 1-1?

Defuser

StateofMind said:
Someone earlier mentioned that the revive stones were cheap to buy. The cheapest I can find them is for 30k from Patches.
5-2 filthy woman is the only vendor that sells the eyes. If not you can farm those giant goblins/plague baby in the 5 archstone.

Anyone know an easy way to go about getting the gate open in 1-1?
Getting black or White tendency. You either kill friendly NPCs(black),suicide(black) or destroy bosses(white),summoning blue phantoms(white),killing black phantoms(white).

RavenFox

Banned
Well flamelurker got his ass kicked with some co-op help. Gave the soul to Ed of course. Now I'm going to farm ores and create weapons before I finish this game.

mujun

:(

got my ps3 back today. 100 bucks to repair.

they replaced my hdd as well as my disc drive.

of course i lost all my saves (both my demons souls characters) and all my shared games.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mujun said:
:(

got my ps3 back today. 100 bucks to repair.

they replaced my hdd as well as my disc drive.

of course i lost all my saves (both my demons souls characters) and all my shared games.

Ouch!

Do they require that you send in the original HDD with the system when you get it repaired?

mujun

Zefah said:
Ouch!

Do they require that you send in the original HDD with the system when you get it repaired?

well ive never removed it and i never even thought about taking it out.

they warn you beforehand that you might lose your data but last time i got it repaired it came back fine. add to that that the problem was my disc drive again and i thought theyd just fix the laser and send it back to me.

no use crying over spilt milk i suppose. my level 100 and level 50 characters are gone. if i didnt love demons souls so much id sell it off and forget about playing through it again.

ill start up a new one today, probably go for a knight or a warrior. i really want the kita legaia but i dont know whether ill make it that far again, that sword is cool :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mujun said:
well ive never removed it and i never even thought about taking it out.

they warn you beforehand that you might lose your data but last time i got it repaired it came back fine. add to that that the problem was my disc drive again and i thought theyd just fix the laser and send it back to me.

no use crying over spilt milk i suppose. my level 100 and level 50 characters are gone. if i didnt love demons souls so much id sell it off and forget about playing through it again.

ill start up a new one today, probably go for a knight or a warrior. i really want the kita legaia but i dont know whether ill make it that far again, that sword is cool :)

You only need to beat the game once to make the sword. And it is badass. After I got it I pretty much stopped focusing so much on magic. My second playthrough consisted of me destroying almost everything with the sword and magic becoming my secondary means of attack (except on some boss fights).

Considering you have already got two characters to high levels, you should be used to the game by now and most likely won't take very long to finish the game even on your first play through. You can probably beat it in under 20 hours including a bit of grinding now that you know what to do.

ChrisD84

semiconscious said:
if you were to stand in front of the huge arrow-shooting machine, facing it (which you definitely don't want to do) there are towers a bit behind it, to the left & right. the guy you're looking for can be found via the right tower (all the way up, & then all the way to the end)...

Okay thanks, i'll have a look for him now :D

can anyone explain to me what happened to me yesterday, here's the story, spoilered just in case there are still new player here.

I was in soul form in stage 3-1 at the stairway that I believe lead to 3-1 boss fight. since the previous boss battles in other stage destroyed me in my first play (1-2 killed me before I know it, and I need a faq for 2-1 boss fight) I decide to try co-op. never done it before, so I place blue sign on the stairway and wait till someone summoned me. when I got summoned, I got cutscene and there's this mummy looking dude, throwing sheet of cloth and wrapped my head with it, I got notice saying I become black phantom and I had to fight other player in a room filled with chairs. I died quickly because it's a 2 on 1 fight. when I was killed, I'm back on the stairway with my souls intact and then there's red glowing player appear before me and she tried to kill me. luckily I won and got a black stone from her.

I think I know what happened in the second one, someone invade my world and try to kill me. what about the event before that? just coincidence?

mujun

Callibretto said:
can anyone explain to me what happened to me yesterday, here's the story, spoilered just in case there are still new player here.

3-1 on the long set of stairs before the boss fight? that is not an invading player but a phantom that is in that world (npc).

as for the part before that
its for the boss of 3-3, when you fight him he summons another person playing the game to become his champion and fight for him. pretty cool huh ;)

as for me i got game number 4 underway. went with a knight coz i like the longsword and the fact he can use magic or miracles right off the bat. did everything in 1-1 except for actually fighting the boss. came away with a ton of herbs.

gonna tackle phalanx and probably 2-1 tomorrow. might kill ostrava and make sure i hook the doran key up early in the game.

Got a chance to sit down and really dig into the game last night. Cleared out 1-1, got the Cling Ring, and took down the boss so I can level.

I'm hooked on the game. Also baiting firebomb throwers into hitting explosive barrels (especially when there are enemies next to the barrels) is fun.

On to 2-1!

Defuser

You know 4-3 boss fight may be epic but after newgame+ and newgame++ is getting annoying since they get tougher therefore the stormruler damage is weak.

anyway

My picks for top 5 spells not in order.
1)Firestorm - Boss killer,it can take out most bosses with 2 spell castings and most enemies within 1,totally worth the 3 slots and 100mp consumption.

2)Total Protection - Live saver,it reduces damage alot,really really useful.

3)Anti-magic field - Another live saver,it totally shuts down those octopus guard magic therefore they are easy prey,no more sneaking up for a backstab or quick rush. Works against ministers,shamans and even Fool's idol therefore she can't cast her soul light.

4)Death Cloud - Awesome for BP NPC if you like to wait or paralyzing bosses

5)Flamethrower - Works very well against normal enemies and it consumes small amount of mp.

Im quite interested in this game, but how difficult is it exactly? I'm only really an average-skilled gamer, is the difficulty really brutal, is it a strictly hardcore-only game? I would love to pick it up but don't want to waste my cash on something i get frustrated with and never finish.

Boss Man

Charmicarmicat said:
Im quite interested in this game, but how difficult is it exactly? I'm only really an average-skilled gamer, is the difficulty really brutal, is it a strictly hardcore-only game? I would love to pick it up but don't want to waste my cash on something i get frustrated with and never finish.
It felt really rough at first, but once you get the hang of it (or maybe if you have experience with this kind of game?) it'll calm down a lot. I kept rushing through until I realized that you really just have to take the time to play defensive and use a bit of strategy. You won't be able to just run through hacking away.

mujun

Charmicarmicat said:

well its a certain type of difficulty imo.

its not hard because of the reflexes required or anything like that, its more that you need to be very patient, prepare well for each step you take and keep calm when you screw up and lose a chunk of progress.

if you can handle that youll be fine, if it frustrates you you might hit a wall quick.

Charmicarmicat said:

I'd say I'm about average as well - the game definitely starts off a bit rough as you get used to the mechanics and get your character to a suitable level. I remember feeling quite vulnerable when I first started (in terms of my character) and was anxious to tackle some of the later levels because of it. Once you get the hang of everything and really try to change your approach to a more strategic tint, the game is extremely rewarding regardless of the difficulty. NG+ is definitely a bit harder, but surprisingly not as bad as I thought it would be as long as your character is at a reasonable level (some say ~100 soul level)

If you're really interested in the game, give it a shot. It's really the only way the know for sure. There will no doubt be someone who will buy it from you if you decide you don't like it :). Learn the levels, proceed with caution, co-op A LOT and the satisfaction of defeating a boss/level solo (or in co-op) isn't even comparable to RPGs this day - it's just leagues ahead of the competition IMO.

I've put over 250 hours into this game, not ashamed to admit it. The aspects of the game, the intricacies of everything really add up to a beautiful experience and like nothing I have played, at least in the past 10 years.

garath

I am going to have to start co-oping. I haven't done any yet. I was alive for about 30 seconds after killing phalanax, but died almost immediately in 1-2 lol. Been having a good time levelling up a little on the 4-1 skeletons and I've gotten to the tower knight a couple times on 1-2. Will hopefully finish 1-2 next time I play and then work on finishing 4-1 so I can get to the 4-2 grind spot/vendor.

Absolutely fantastic game.

Boss Man

Can anyone tell me how to get the Talisman of Beasts? Scirvir has it on 2-2 with pure tendency, but do I want pure white or pure black(kill him)?

Also, where is he in 2-2?

mujun said:
well its a certain type of difficulty imo.

its not hard because of the reflexes required or anything like that, its more that you need to be very patient, prepare well for each step you take and keep calm when you screw up and lose a chunk of progress.

if you can handle that youll be fine, if it frustrates you you might hit a wall quick.

nailed it. very good answer :) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom