• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Victrix

*beard*
White ghosts - other players moving around in the same area as you

Blue ghosts - coop players

Red ghosts - from bloodstains, shows another player's last moments before they died. Handy to know if there's something dangerous nearby :p

Red with black ghosts - Black Phantoms, either npcs or other players. You'll know if its another player if you get a giant YOU ARE BEING INVADED BY MOONRUNES_5875_^_^ message on your screen, kind of hard to miss.

If you are ALIVE, you can be invaded by a black phantom, or touch the blue runes on the ground to summon a coop player who dropped their runes with the blue eye stone.

If you are DEAD, you can invade a live player with the black eye stone, or drop your coop rune with the blue eye stone to be summoned by a live player.

If you HELP a live player kill a boss in coop, or you KILL a live player as a black phantom, you revive.

If you suicide as a black phantom (either by walking off a cliff, or an environmental hazard), you lose a soul level - not if you die in pvp, just if you suicide, to discourage white alignment farming via black phantom suicide.

I got booted out when the server are under maintenance, am I going to lose my souls up to that point?

oh, and I walk around Nexus and see the Pantheon, this game have really classy way to show online leaderboard. it's genius

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:
oh, it's finally going under maintenance which means they updating the game.

Finally no more getting my ass handed to me by that huge meat cleaver.

NolbertoS

Any news on the game getting localized?? Just seeing the NPD numbers for JRPG's in general, especially for PS3 games, make me think this game won't see the light of day in NA :( or at least a limited print here in North America. Just want to own the game's instruction manual in English :D..so far I'm loving the Asian version..only played bits and pieces there, as I'm swamped with work and my huge backlog of games :(

NolbertoS said:
Any news on the game getting localized?? Just seeing the NPD numbers for JRPG's in general, especially for PS3 games, make me think this game won't see the light of day in NA :( or at least a limited print here in North America. Just want to own the game's instruction manual in English :D..so far I'm loving the Asian version..only played bits and pieces there, as I'm swamped with work and my huge backlog of games :(

I've only play for 4-5- hours, but I think this game will be perfect for psn game. there's 5 or 6 different area right? maybe they can split them up like they did with Siren. add new area and bosses as dlc. the game is already always connected online with the messages and blood mark anyway.

imperium

Good grief, don't I feel like a member of Obama's bowling team. I played for about 5 or 6 hours before I realized there's a SPRINT button. I was getting frustrated trying to outrun the Dragon on my way to the Tower Knight, so I finally referred to the wiki for some hints and there it was in the controls section, mocking my stupidity. My first clue should have been all those white ghosts zooming past me :lol

when I leave blue sign, do I have to stick around near that sign to get summoned. whenever I leave blue sign and get summoned, I always get the messages 'failed to present' or something. it could be because I'm far away from the blue sign, but could also because of internet connection in my country. if it is, then I'm gonna have to beat this game solo all the way through...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Callibretto said:
when I leave blue sign, do I have to stick around near that sign to get summoned. whenever I leave blue sign and get summoned, I always get the messages 'failed to present' or something. it could be because I'm far away from the blue sign, but could also because of internet connection in my country. if it is, then I'm gonna have to beat this game solo all the way through...

You need to remain nearby the sign you laid down if you want to get summoned.

Also, even if you are summoned by someone and beat the demon of the level, you will only not get credit for it. Sure you will recieve a bunch of souls and be revived, but you will have to beat the demon in your world before you can move on to the next area. You are only a guest in another player's world when you are summoned as a blue soul.

StateofMind said:
When can I enter 4-XX? Do I have to go through all of 3-XX first or something?
After you beat 1-1 you gain access to the other four worlds. The broken archstone in the nexus has no known purpose. It's probably a placeholder for DLC.

Danielsan

So I'm thinking of buying this game on Ebay. This thread has been taunting me for the past couple of weeks and I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. I have a question though.
Is the Korean version also in English? There is an ebayer who has 10 copies for sale at €45 which is the cheapest one I can find on ebay. However I need to be sure that it also has English screen text.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Danielsan said:
So I'm thinking of buying this game on Ebay. This thread has been taunting me for the past couple of weeks and I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge. I have a question though.
Is the Korean version also in English? There is an ebayer who has 10 copies for sale at €45 which is the cheapest one I can find on ebay. However I need to be sure that it also has English screen text.

An earlier post in this thread said that the game text is entirely in Korean.

All versions of the game have entirely English voice acting. The Japanese version only has Japanese text. The Asian version has English and I think Chinese text and the Korean version has only Korean text.

Get the actual Asian version if you want English text.

Is there any way I can increase my maximum health while playing as a soul? I'm soul level 39 and after beating the Tower Knight I got my ass handed to me by a black phantom and now my health's capped to about half the bar.

RavenFox

Banned
Zefah said:
An earlier post in this thread said that the game text is entirely in Korean.

All versions of the game have entirely English voice acting. The Japanese version only has Japanese text. The Asian version has English and I think Chinese text and the Korean version has only Korean text.

Get the actual Asian version if you want English text.
I think the Korean one has been confirmed to have English also. If someone can check on that to confirm.

Bootaaay said:
Is there any way I can increase my maximum health while playing as a soul? I'm soul level 39 and after beating the Tower Knight I got my ass handed to me by a black phantom and now my health's capped to about half the bar.
Did you get the cling ring from 1-1?

Boss Man

Bootaaay said:
Cling Ring! In the gate at the bottom of the staircase in 1-1.

I killed the Fire Dragon in 1-2 and got a soul. Does anyone know if it has any use? Tempted to use it for souls, but so far I've stored all of my demon souls because I know they have other uses.

RavenFox said:
Did you get the cling ring from 1-1?
StateofMind said:
Cling Ring! In the gate at the bottom of the staircase in 1-1.

D'oh, I took it off for a health regeneration ring - the description is quite strangely worded though; 'Lose less HP as a soul body', kinda makes it sound like the ring reduces the damage you take as a soul body, rather than raising the cap on HP.

Brannon

Killed that bastard dragon on 1-2. Then I got cocky and decided to get all those trinkets where the dragons were nesting, and only the blue dragon was left. So I went up to where its tail was, saw that it was swinging casually and timed it so that I could grab that last trinket before I left.

*SMACK!*

Thankfully your bloodstain is always a fair bit away from the area of death so my panicked run back to the area to see if I could reclaim my souls was rewarded.

Dragon tail. Serious business.

Hey, i'm trying to get the Fragrant Ring and the wiki says to "Give Brass Telescope to tree" - I drop the telescope infront of the tree and the voice says "Sparkly, happy, happy, caw" and nothing else happens, how do I make it trade the telescope for the ring?

eXistor

4-2 is raping me so bad, stupid Reapers. If I do happen to make it past them, thiose exploding lights screw me up when I'm not even looking. Any way to safely deal with those? I basically run up to them real close and turn back as they are about to explode.

Victrix

*beard*
Er. Don't run near them period :p

You can also run past them if you don't stop, but why risk it?

Only the ball explodes, not the tail.

Boss Man

So I want to get Doran's armor from 1-1, but I need a key from "Ostrava"? I read that he's in 1-1 and 1-2, but I've never seen him... How do I get to the Doran fight?

eXistor

Victrix said:
Er. Don't run near them period :p

You can also run past them if you don't stop, but why risk it?

Only the ball explodes, not the tail.
Yeah but I want to kill the slugs in the water and explore the area and I don't want those things floating around my face. Oh well, I'll just be careful next time.

Brannon

DAMN I was sweating about souls and keeping them, but 4-1 just gives them to you like it's nothing! Oh yeah, I'm going to save up for the Ring of Avarice in no time.

*SHANK!*

What the fuck... goddamn flying manta rays! That will be the LAST TIME you will ever kill me; my dragon slaying bow will have it's way with you. :mad:

RavenFox

Banned
Brannon said:
DAMN I was sweating about souls and keeping them, but 4-1 just gives them to you like it's nothing! Oh yeah, I'm going to save up for the Ring of Avarice in no time.

*SHANK!*

What the fuck... goddamn flying manta rays! That will be the LAST TIME you will ever kill me; my dragon slaying bow will have it's way with you. :mad:
Wait until you get that certain sword for the boss fight. You will know true satisfaction with each blow you dish out.

So, from what I gathered fellas the new patch is up and Meat Cleaver power reduced?

Victrix

*beard*
Meat Cleaver was 'nerfed' from S/S/-/S to S/S/-/A. Not really a nerf :p

Don't know what they changed with Acid Cloud yet.

They did change the way white/black alignment changes, making it more of a pain in the ass :|

On the other hand, they made it a bit faster, so I suppose that kind of helps.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Now dying while alive has a large black shift, dying while a soul has none. Killing bosses has a larger shift.

So it looks like the best way to go black is either a) suicide while alive using ephemeral stones (which you can buy from a vendor) or b) coop, revive, THEN suicide or c) actually pvp as a black phantom and win

They also got rid of alignment shifting white when you get killed as a black phantom, so going white is easiest by cooping.

Basically the changes encourage coop or pvp play, which is fine... except the vast majority of players are 12+ hours off your timezone for most western players :p And pvp is hilariously imbalanced, so that doesn't help black shifts. At least living suicides provide a large shift, 2-3 deaths is apparently enough to go full black, and Ephemeral Eye stones only cost 5k each, so they're easy to stock up on. Not a big deal if you want to do a full black game I suppose.

Flib

Ordered this from NCSX on Friday, and it shipped today! I haven't been this excited for a game in a long while. Should arrive tomorrow (since I live in NYC, where NCSX is located).

garath

Flib said:
Ordered this from NCSX on Friday, and it shipped today! I haven't been this excited for a game in a long while. Should arrive tomorrow (since I live in NYC, where NCSX is located).

Mine shipped too. Very excited. Only a state away so I should have it tomorrow or Wed.

Apparently NCSX got enough new orders over the weekend that they are backordered again :lol

I wonder how sales are doing. Importers can't seem to keep it in stock.

JudgeN

Brannon said:

*SHANK!*

You get the ring of avarice free at the end of 3-2 (bottom of the boss tower), save the souls get it for free :D

Victrix said:
They also got rid of alignment shifting white when you get killed as a black phantom, so going white is easiest by cooping.

Does it matter if you summon someone into the game or if they summon you? Or does any form of co-op help you go white?

RavenFox

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Where do you get that sword at?
It's in the Wiki but when you reach the 4-3 boss
Run all the way down near the end then make a left out unto a cliff, close to the end you will see a sword in a stone[literally] Pull it out and release it's immense power. There are baby mantas massing in the sky over that area so you will have an idea.
Show no mercy my friend the world is depending on each glorious blow. Its called Storm Ruler for a reason.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
RavenFox said:
It's in the Wiki but when you reach the 4-3 boss
Run all the way down near the end then make a left out unto a cliff, close to the end you will see a sword in a stone[literally] Pull it out and release it's immense power. There are baby mantas massing in the sky over that area so you will have an idea.
Show no mercy my friend the world is depending on each glorious blow. Its called Storm Ruler for a reason.

Awesome... I apologize for all of my stupid questions in this thread. For some reason, I thought you could find that sword before then.

RavenFox

Banned
Captain Pants said:
Awesome... I apologize for all of my stupid questions in this thread. For some reason, I thought you could find that sword before then.

Don't apologize we are all here to help each other. The Wiki is also a great guiding hand.

Boss Man

What the hell? The ghost guy in the Nexus said he didn't remember me. Confused me, but I just ignored it and went to grab some souls/items. Came back, and he was gone and there was a soul (item) in his place... Was that supposed to happen?

Doctor_No

StateofMind said:
What the hell? The ghost guy in the Nexus said he didn't remember me. Confused me, but I just ignored it and went to grab some souls/items. Came back, and he was gone and there was a soul (item) in his place... Was that supposed to happen?

Yes. That's normal, its a normal series of events. If you talk to him enough, he'll fade and leave you a soul item after you have progressed far enough in the game.

Boss Man

Took out a few bosses and got my Lava Bow tonight. This game just keeps getting better.

Now if I could find some leeches for suckerstones...

careksims

TheChillyAcademic said:
So do you think its worth waiting for this to ever be released in the western world...or just import the Japanese (Asian?) version?

Oh just import the Asian version. No regrets at all. Loving every moment of it. Love the grind and challenge. Plus it has English trophies and all.

I keep seeing it on back-order from Play-Asia. Word of mouth is doing good for this game or Sony needs to produce more.

There's no rumors or anything that shows it'll come over to the West :(

TheChillyAcademic said:
So do you think its worth waiting for this to ever be released in the western world...or just import the Japanese (Asian?) version?
I'm waiting (never imported anything in my life), but I'll break down if nothing is announced by E3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom