• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploid 3.0

Oh man this game sounds so awesome. It might be the first and only game I import. It sounds right up my alley as far as the type of game it is.

RavenFox

Banned
Tell me about it. 2-2 Bugbears have like impenetrable shells and Im sure magic works wonders on them. Tough luck for me Im playing as a Knight. Ive gotten up to lava river in tunnels with a BugBear there to greet me of course and it seems like the only way to go. Anyone has any hints on getting past this?

Defuser said:
Congrats,it's a rare demon soul. IIRC you can only get 10 of these in the game. The fact that you got it from a primeval demon means your world tendency for this area is pure black? I assume you been killing friendly NPCs or dieing too many times?
Yeah, the color of the Archstone drawing is pure black. I've been suicide grinding in 2-2, I died a lot but got my bloodstain back everytime, went all Neil Patrick Harris in the tunnels. Now there are extra mobs that are all buffed up and red and shit, I'm like THAT'S FINE MOTHAFUCKAS. MORE. DEMON. SOULS. FOR ME.

Although, I have come to the conclusion that as far as fantasy mine locales are concerned Stonefang makes Moria look like McDonalds Playland.

FYI I'm playing as a Wanderer, haven't seen any way to use spells yet.

RavenFox

Banned
MickeyKnox said:
Yeah, the color of the Archstone drawing is pure black. I've been suicide grinding in 2-2, I died a lot but got my bloodstain back everytime, went all Neil Patrick Harris in the tunnels. Now there are extra mobs that are all buffed up and red and shit, THAT'S FINE MOTHAFUCKAS. MORE. DEMON. SOULS. FOR ME.

Although, I have come to the conclusion that as far as fantasy mine locales are concerned Stonefang makes Moria look like McDonalds Playland.
lol I love your descriptions. Figured out how to pass that damn lava flow. Run along the side of the f'ing wall with balls and heart in hand. Holy shit this game is beyond my RPG dreams.

Boss Man

mujun said:
it is. if you get stuck and cant get through any given level then kill a few enemies in a level, warp back to the nexus, up your stats, buy a bow or something or craft a weapon.

youll eventually hit a point where you can then make it through any level that is giving you trouble fairly easily.

...How do you warp back to the Nexus?

careksims

I'm playing as a soldier and beaten the 1-1 boss. Where do you get the bow? That one guy isn't selling any.

Gah this game is great and very intimidating!

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
Yeah, the color of the Archstone drawing is pure black. I've been suicide grinding in 2-2, I died a lot but got my bloodstain back everytime, went all Neil Patrick Harris in the tunnels. Now there are extra mobs that are all buffed up and red and shit, I'm like THAT'S FINE MOTHAFUCKAS. MORE. DEMON. SOULS. FOR ME.

FYI I'm playing as a Wanderer, haven't seen any way to use spells yet.
Those are black phantoms NPC. Sometimes they drop valuable weapons and killing them will shift your tendency to white. Some events will trigger depending on your tendency.

Since you're in Archstone 2...
Black Tendency
2-1 - Primeval demon located at the bottom of the building where enemies were chucking boulders, use a lift to get there.(pure black)
2-2 - Wanderer Scirvir (phantom), drops Talisman of Beast.(pure black)

White tendency
2-2 - Wanderer Scirvir, show him Keel Smasher from 2-3 for a Pure Greystone.
2-3 - The debris to the left path will be cleared, you will get an unique extra large sword, Keel Smasher (requires pure white)

As for using spells,do you have a wooden catalyst? if not then you can't cast spells.

mujun

StateofMind said:
...How do you warp back to the Nexus?

when you enter a level there is a stone with a sword in it, circle on it will give you the option to warp back to the nexus. 4-1 is good for grinding if you can take on the first skeleton relatively safely and will net you something like 260 souls just for him. if he kicks your ass try doing the left tower of the main door in 1-1, it has about 7 firebrand wielding zombies then a blue eyed knight on the battlements which will net you a decent amount of souls plus a nice chunk of healing herbs from the knight.

K so im a knight, should I be trying to balance weapons with magic? I rarely play RPGs as magicians but I dont want to screw myself later in the game. I've lvl'd up VIT END and STR so far.

Another thing im confused about is handling demons souls. Is it better to just collect the souls (phalanax) and lvl up with it or use it for special weapons/magic. I feel like there are irreversible mistakes at every corner. :lol

Defuser

Lion Heart said:
K so im a knight, should I be trying to balance weapons with magic? I rarely play RPGs as magicians but I dont want to screw myself later in the game. I've lvl'd up VIT END and STR so far.

Another thing im confused about is handling demons souls. Is it better to just collect the souls (phalanax) and lvl up with it or use it for special weapons/magic. I feel like there are irreversible mistakes at every corner. :lol
Boss demon souls is used to upgrade weapons and for magic. It's best not to use them for your consumption.

RavenFox

Banned
Well I killed the dragon in Boletaria and I feel like a badass now. Went over to storm country and started owning those skeleton mofos. Have to work on getting my magic usable now.

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
I do, but I have no idea how to use it.
Make sure your will stat is at least 10.
Learn some magic from the apprentice,remember what magic you want.
Equip the wand, press up in the dpad to switch magic. Press R1 or L1(depending where you equip your wand) to use magic.

careksims

Haha! Some dude invaded my world and tried to kill me but I kicked his ass just barely! Whenever he tried to attack, I step aside and skewered him with my spear. Oh man that was scary! :lol

eXistor

careksims said:
Haha! Some dude invaded my world and tried to kill me but I kicked his ass just barely! Whenever he tried to attack, I step aside and skewered him with my spear. Oh man that was scary! :lol
No one invaded my game yet :(

Victrix

*beard*
RavenFox said:
Hmm anyone knows where I can stock up on some Sticky White Stuff?

The
slugs in the tunnel behind the 4-3 archstone drop it very frequently, making it easy to stock up on a ton with just a few runs

Defuser said:
Make sure your will stat is at least 10.
Learn some magic from the apprentice,remember what magic you want.
Equip the wand, press up in the dpad to switch magic. Press R1 or L1(depending where you equip your wand) to use magic.
You talking about the guy that's by himself on the other side behind the pillar? He wants nothing to do with me. Calls me a brute and a miscreant. My will is at 10, but is there another base requirement for magic?

Matter of fact, nobody in the Nexus engages me in a convo tree besides the merchants. There was that blue dude in front of the first Archstone who disappeared after beating the first boss.

BeeDog

arghghghghgh, this game sounds ridiculously awesome, so much better than I thought it would ever turn out. Gotta love the "figure it out yourself" approach it seems to have, and the hard difficulty, exploration etc.

Damn, EU release cooome ooooooon! :(

Hey guys, i'm playing a Temple Knight - how can I get more miracles? I haven't seen any way of buying them yet, do I just have to level up my Faith? Also, i've upgraded my Halberd to +5 and it now does 143+35 damage, should I use the soul I got from Phalanx to upgrade it further, or would it be better to save it? Finally, where can I get my hands on a weapon with a flame-based attack? Or can I upgrade my current weapon for flame attacks?

Cheers :)

Bootaaay said:
Hey guys, i'm playing a Temple Knight - how can I get more miracles? I haven't seen any way of buying them yet, do I just have to level up my Faith? Also, i've upgraded my Halberd to +5 and it now does 143+35 damage, should I use the soul I got from Phalanx to upgrade it further, or would it be better to save it? Finally, where can I get my hands on a weapon with a flame-based attack? Or can I upgrade my current weapon for flame attacks?

When you finish the first level (1-1) a trainer will spawn in the nexus. Speak to him and he will offer you some basic miracles in exchange for souls. You can find the miracle trainers on the same side as the blacksmith, and spell trainers on the other side. If you want advanced miracles you need to rescue a NPC called Saint Urbain.

schild

BeeDog said:
Because I believe I made myself clear on the reasons in my previous post in this topic. :p

Your reasons are kinda shitty. Just buy it again if it ever actually gets localized.

I imagine the punishment for dying will get changed as well as some other stuff though, particularly of SCEE/SCEA do the localization.

Also, any DLC for Asia will probably have English and will be relatively easy to acquire.

archnemesis said:
When you finish the first level (1-1) a trainer will spawn in the nexus. Speak to him and he will offer you some basic miracles in exchange for souls. You can find the miracle trainers on the same side as the blacksmith, and spell trainers on the other side. If you want advanced miracles you need to rescue a NPC called Saint Urbain.

Thanks for the tips, I found the guy but he's got a pretty underwhelming list of miracles for sale, hopefully it won't be too long before I encounter Saint Urbain.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the Lead Demon's Soul? I was going to consume it like with the Unknown Hero's Soul, but I was sure I read in this thread that I can forge a weapon from it, if so - how? It's the Phalanx soul.

mujun

Bootaaay said:
Thanks for the tips, I found the guy but he's got a pretty underwhelming list of miracles for sale, hopefully it won't be too long before I encounter Saint Urbain.

Can anyone tell me what to do with the Lead Demon's Soul? I was going to consume it like with the Unknown Hero's Soul, but I was sure I read in this thread that I can forge a weapon from it, if so - how? It's the Phalanx soul.

you need a wind/short spear + 7 and the soul, give them to the blacksmith in 2-1 after youve given him the 2-2 boss' soul and youll be able to get a special spear crafted.

man im jonesing to play this :(

hopefully ill have my machine back by thursday or something.

Boss Man

Ah, all this talk about being invaded is scaring me. Is there a way to avoid it or anything without playing offline?

Also, what's the point of all of the bloodstains? I know you can regain your souls after you die from yours, but what about all of the other ones?

Oh yeah, when can I start buying items and stuff? Is that old guy the only one who'll sell stuff? I'm still on 1-1 and I feel like I can't really progress. Just figured out that I can go back to the Nexus, so I killed that blue-eyed knight a few times and stocked up on souls. Can't do a damn thing with them though...

StateofMind said:
Also, what's the point of all of the bloodstains? I know you can regain your souls after you die from yours, but what about all of the other ones?
I asked the same question a few pages back and got this response.
Fair Witness said:
They provide comedic relief watching how others die. For example, you'll find a lot of blood stains around areas that have holes in the floor, watching the character oblivious to the hole run right into it is always good for a laugh (I've contributed my fair share of blood stains too).

They're also good warning signs if there's not any warning messages or the messages aren't clear. For example, if there's a trap coming up it's likely you'll find lots of blood stains near it, watch how/where others die can help you out.

Also, sometimes there are hard to reach items, watching how others attempted to get the item but failed will make sure you don't do it the same way.

StateofMind said:
Oh yeah, when can I start buying items and stuff? Is that old guy the only one who'll sell stuff?
There are vendors in each world, but it's usually easier to get equipment from loot and treasures. The vendors are good for healing items and arrows though.

RavenFox

Banned
Bootaaay said:

There is a sword with fire attributes in 2-2.

RavenFox

Banned
StateofMind said:
Ah, all this talk about being invaded is scaring me. Is there a way to avoid it or anything without playing offline?

Oh yeah, when can I start buying items and stuff? Is that old guy the only one who'll sell stuff? I'm still on 1-1 and I feel like I can't really progress. Just figured out that I can go back to the Nexus, so I killed that blue-eyed knight a few times and stocked up on souls. Can't do a damn thing with them though...

The bloodstains are of fallen players. If you click on them you can see how they died and can actually prepare you for an ambush or a hidden fall.
Defeat the 1-1 boss and leveling up becomes available. Save your souls for lvl ups because nearly everything in the game can be found. Also check the Wiki, the link is in the OP.

I've reached the final boss and I think my lvl 68 female noble can defeat him. I got both the
Demonbrand
and the
Death Fog
spell, so it should't be too difficult. The wiki mentioned it's advisable to be at least lvl 80 if I want to continue playing my character in NewGame+. Is there a list of what carries over? I don't want to spend any time upgrading my equipment unless I'm sure I get to keep everything.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Lion Heart said:
How exactly do you know what level you are on (2-1, 1-2 etc)

Boletaria is considered to be Area 1. The following areas are numbered in a clockwise direction. Meaning Stonefang is Area 2 and so on. 1-1 would refer to the area before the first boss. 1-2 is after the first boss, 1-3 is after the second boss and so on.

Defuser

archnemesis said:
I've reached the final boss and I think my lvl 68 female noble can defeat him. I got both the
Demonbrand
and the
Death Fog
spell, so it should't be too difficult. The wiki mentioned it's advisable to be at least lvl 80 if I want to continue playing my character in NewGame+. Is there a list of what carries over? I don't want to spend any time upgrading my equipment unless I'm sure I get to keep everything.
Everything except the key items such as prison keys.

And Newgame+ is really really hard.

entrydenied said:
Boletaria is considered to be Area 1. The following areas are numbered in a clockwise direction. Meaning Stonefang is Area 2 and so on. 1-1 would refer to the area before the first boss. 1-2 is after the first boss, 1-3 is after the second boss and so on.
Thanks, its a lot easier once I realised you can go to each area once you unlock it from the portrait.

Are new game + usually really hard in these games? I thought the point would be to make it easier.

Boss Man

They provide comedic relief watching how others die. For example, you'll find a lot of blood stains around areas that have holes in the floor, watching the character oblivious to the hole run right into it is always good for a laugh (I've contributed my fair share of blood stains too).

They're also good warning signs if there's not any warning messages or the messages aren't clear. For example, if there's a trap coming up it's likely you'll find lots of blood stains near it, watch how/where others die can help you out.

Also, sometimes there are hard to reach items, watching how others attempted to get the item but failed will make sure you don't do it the same way.

Hahaha, wow. That is so awesome.

One more question: What is the rating thing I see under the messages? Can I rate them? Is there more story to all of those messages?

Defuser

StateofMind said:
Hahaha, wow. That is so awesome.

One more question: What is the rating thing I see under the messages? Can I rate them? Is there more story to all of those messages?
If you rate them,the person who left the message gets their health replenish which is why you keeping seeing "This is harsh.Evaluate me" messages near boss areas. Message also stays longer if there is many ratings.

RavenFox

Banned
Defuser said:
If you rate them,the person who left the message gets their health replenish which is why you keeping seeing "This is harsh.Evaluate me" messages near boss areas. Message also stays longer if there is many ratings.
I got rated a few times in 1-1 which was cool. Also Wow WOw WOW at multiplayer. I didnt know summoning a buddy to fight with could be so much fun.

edit:Okay this was weird for me. I'm in 4-1 [storm lvl] pounding away on Vanguard with arrows when a phantom invaded my world. All of a sudden the demons hit points were quickly dropping. I was like wtf my arrows cannot be doing this :lol . I took a closer look and I saw he was bleeding and poisoned. I was nervous now because I knew someone else was doing this. So I kept pounding on the arrows. Shortly after he ws defeated and I saw the phantom who helped [for lack of the better term lol]. I ran up to him prepared of course but he just stood there and then proceeded to just run around the area. Weird. I shrugged and gathered up the spoils and he or she was close by also. All of a sudden I was attacked but the hits didn't take much. I was confused but then he or she got behind me and did a rear attack. I was like shit. Blocked the next attack with my shield and having the dragon sword equipped I sent him to the underworld in 4 blows. Lesson here kids is never trust a phantom even when they help you lol. This game I tell you is beyond my dreams.

Boss Man

Defuser said:

How do you rate them? :/

Boss Man

This game won't stop kicking my ass. Still haven't beaten the first level...

I feel like my character should be stronger but I can't make him stronger yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom