• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

garath

Good news from NCSX:

NCSX said:
PS3 Demon's Souls (Asian version) Shipped
The third batch of Demon's Souls has shipped from Hong Kong and NCS expects delivery on Monday. All remaining backorders will ship on Monday.

So come Monday it looks like they will be in stock for same day shipping for anyone still looking to get the game.

I'm excited because my copy will finally ship. Since I'm only a state away from NYC, I'll have it in my hands Tuesday or Wed. Damn I can't wait to play.

JudgeN said:
How long did it take? I think I'm do it myself.
The time between my post and the edit. I just sat at the top of the first tower, with my reticule in one spot and shot his face as he swooped in. Had 160 arrows for the compound short bow that I got as drop there on the King's Road and only took about 100 arrows to kill him.

garath said:
Good news from NCSX:

So come Monday it looks like they will be in stock for same day shipping for anyone still looking to get the game.

I'm excited because my copy will finally ship. Since I'm only a state away from NYC, I'll have it in my hands Tuesday or Wed. Damn I can't wait to play.

Does this mean other retailers will more than likely have stock in as well? I have should ordered through NCSX instead of P-A. They keep their customers updated.

matmanx1

2-2 was awesome as heck. It was pretty much all I worked on yesterday during the day and I consider it the pinnacle of my gaming experience in 2009 thus far. Of course then I started on 3-1 last night and that was pretty damn cool also. Creepy and haunting, but very cool.

All the random moaning and wailing in 3-1 along with the soft tinkling bells of the guards makes for an interesting auditory experience. And whatever you do, dont take those damn Octopus guards lightly. I was cutting through them like a scythe through butter with my Dragon Sword +2 last night, mostly by getting the drop on them in close quarters combat. The one time I rushed one down a long hallway (figured I could dodge his magic bolt) he stunned me and then proceeded to kill me in an extremely gruesome manner than involved some kind of projection coming out of his mouth hole. It was bad. I cried a little. Lesson learned!

matmanx1

Ok I just got back from reading the wiki and learned that I had been carrying around over 30k in souls in my pocket!:lol Yeah, evidently those "traditional soldier" and "unknown soldier" etc. souls can be used to increase your soul count. I went up 3 or 4 levels instantly! That was a useful piece of information!

Also, as a Noble, how much strength am I eventually going to want? Right now, I've been splitting my points mostly between vitality, willpower and magic. Those stats are all 18 or higher while my everything else is 14 or lower. It would be nice to have enough strength to use a nice bow, because they seem really useful for ranges longer than spells will travel, but is it a neccessity?

I also figured out that I can equip one peice of fluted mail for a decent defense increase without it effecting my roll and run speed. 2 pieces automatically make you go into "tank" mode so I chose the leggings. Mostly because they look alot more stylish than the wizard shoes I had been using.

mujun

matmanx1 said:
Also, as a Noble, how much strength am I eventually going to want? Right now, I've been splitting my points mostly between vitality, willpower and magic. Those stats are all 18 or higher while my everything else is 14 or lower. It would be nice to have enough strength to use a nice bow, because they seem really useful for ranges longer than spells will travel, but is it a neccessity?

you are going to need to up a lot of different stats if you want to use a lot of the special weapons you find or craft with demons souls.

for the dozer axe for example youll need 30 strength.

Defuser said:
The boss or the long winding pathway?
Basically everything.

There's a significant jump in difficulty compared to the 1-1/1-2 transition, the layout is crazy fucking Temple of Doom meets Last Crusade fire and leaps of faith everywhere, the enemies all get a huge stat bump and nothing drops healing items anymore. I had a run where I ran out of everything and somehow ended up in a crazy worm tunnel with shit I can't do damage to with about a sliver of health left. Ran and dodged like a madman, ended up in a dead end where there was a new weapon, Dragon Long Sword, stats looked jank but after finally dying and equipping it for shits and giggles it turns out it's fucking crazy strong and has a fire attribute even though it's stat page lists it at 0.

lupin23rd

I hate you all for bumping this thread every day :lol

I really want to play this game but am holding out hope it comes here eventually as my current rotation of games is already insane.

What's the range of time it's taking you guys to clear the first go? (seems like a lot of you are all starting again as well, new game+ same class, or with a new class?)

gantz85

Banned
I've finally bought the game :D Cost me about 50 US$ for the Asian version.. still pretty expensive and overpriced here in Beijing but I'm happy :D

Will be coming back to this thread with questions soon enough.

ap9y1f.jpg

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
Basically everything.

There's a significant jump in difficulty compared to the 1-1/1-2 transition, the layout is crazy fucking Temple of Doom meets Last Crusade fire and leaps of faith everywhere, the enemies all get a huge stat bump and nothing drops healing items anymore. I had a run where I ran out of everything and somehow ended up in a crazy worm tunnel with shit I can't do damage to with about a sliver of health left. Ran and dodged like a madman, ended up in a dead end where there was a new weapon, Dragon Long Sword, stats looked jank but after finally dying and equipping it for shits and giggles it turns out it's fucking crazy strong and has a fire attribute even though it's stat page lists it at 0.
If you want to reach the boss fast,just take the left side of the tunnel in the beginning where you have to jump down alot of platforms. And your dragon long sword won't work against 2-2 boss.

matmanx1

On my stat page the Dragon Long Sword shows 105 physical atk and 105 fire atk. It doesnt get any bonuses from any of your stats but the blacksmith in Stonefang can upgrade it. I think mine is at +3 now and I love the fact that it sets your enemies on fire when it hits them.

My rapier +5 is still more effective on pierce vulnerable enemies (the trolls) but the Dragon Long sword certainly wins any style contests!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
For stat increases on my Noble, I've been kinda spreading points out for the most part, except I did get Will up to 18 in order to have 3 spells lots. I've put points into Vit, Str, Endur, Luck, and Dex. Most all of them are either 13 or 14 now. Magic is at 16, and Faith is 11.

I'm currently using a Winged Spear +5 for the most part, gonna work my ass off this weekend to finish up 2-2, and then grind to get enough stones to bring the spear to +7 so that I can have it made into the Scraping Spear.

I'm very impressed with the random stranger co-op etiquette in the game. Last night I had the intention to just farm some souls on 4-1, but upon entering it I saw around 4 blue summoning spots, so I figured what the heck, and pulled in two people. Both of them were way, WAY more powerful than I was, but they took me around, pointing out various things to loot.

One of the guys had a multiplayer rating of over 5000! He looked like a witch, with a tall pointy hat and a wide cloak. He carried some sword on his shoulder, which killed the 4-1 boss in like 2 hits :lol .

God this game rocks!

PuMa

garath said:
Good news from NCSX:

I really hope my order actually gets shipped this time around...this thread is making me anxious as hell to play.

Defuser

Diseased Yak said:
One of the guys had a multiplayer rating of over 5000! He looked like a witch, with a tall pointy hat and a wide cloak. He carried some sword on his shoulder, which killed the 4-1 boss in like 2 hits :lol .

God this game rocks!
He must be using Meat cleaver. You can make it with the 4-1 boss soul and a club.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
mujun said:
could be kita legaia or one of the brands.

Visually, it looked like a blade of some sort, steel look to it, and it wasn't overly large or long. His guy definitely laid it on his right shoulder, though, when not using it, and like I said, it made short work of anything in 4-1, be it the golden knight guys or the boss. Very impressive it was. He dropped down off the top ledge to beside the boss, and in 2 or 3 attacks it was dead.

Defuser

I'm really enjoying the coop aspect of the game. It's fun and easy to play with other people not to mention they're friendly and helpful.

careksims

Fuck yes! I finally got it yesterday and I been playing it since. It's so damn awesome. I'm starting out as a soldier first. I love how you can't just rush into it and I like grinding for souls! Yes Asian version is totally in English and you can check out the wiki for additional info.

Just loving it. :D

I'm playing a Temple Knight at the moment and enjoying it alot more than with the Wanderer - it seems much easier, for one thing i'm getting alot more health pick-up's with the Temple Knight. Completed the Phalanx boss in 1-1 earlier today, then on the advice of some floor text I tried 4-1 and got my ass handed to me - is 4-1 really easier for noobs than 2-1 or 3-1? Or was that just a misleading message? Also, in 1-1 is it possible to
kill the manta-ray & dragon perched on the cliff
or should I just ignore them for now?

imperium

I finally received my copy from Play Asia yesterday. My first thought was too bad the manual isn’t in English. It was impressively thick and looked like it had a lot of information. The English pamphlet explains the very basic gameplay elements but, damn, could they have made the font any smaller? I really had to strain to read the bloody thing.

So I went with the Temple or Templar Knight and intended to only try out the game before watching some stuff on my DVR. Next thing I know, I look at the time and holy crap, 3 hours just flew by. It’s been a while since I’ve fired up a game and just completely lost track of time.

Anyway, this is probably a stupid question but I used a heal spell that my character came equipped with and I never notice the blue magic bar regenerating. Does it regenerate over time or do I need to consume and item to restore it?

Also I ran into a merchant in the game and was looking at his wares but I couldn’t find any indication of how his stuff compared to what I have equipped. I ended up exiting the buy menu to look at my equipment then returned to the merchant to compare items.

Defuser

Bootaaay said:
I'm playing a Temple Knight at the moment and enjoying it alot more than with the Wanderer - it seems much easier, for one thing i'm getting alot more health pick-up's with the Temple Knight. Completed the Phalanx boss in 1-1 earlier today, then on the advice of some floor text I tried 4-1 and got my ass handed to me - is 4-1 really easier for noobs than 2-1 or 3-1? Or was that just a misleading message? Also, in 1-1 is it possible to
kill the manta-ray & dragon perched on the cliff
or should I just ignore them for now?
I would say it's difficult for first timers when attempting 4-1. The only advice I can give you is to hold your shield up when the skeletons comes rolling to you and try to get a fire base weapon.

And you can't kill those dragons in 1-1 but you can kill the red dragon in 1-2 and the blue dragon in 1-4 later. If you want to kill the red dragon 1-2,just stock up around 200 arrows and take it down.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
imperium said:
Anyway, this is probably a stupid question but I used a heal spell that my character came equipped with and I never notice the blue magic bar regenerating. Does it regenerate over time or do I need to consume and item to restore it?

If you start as a Noble, you get a ring that causes your mana to regen (slowly) over time. This same ring can be found by anyone later in the game in several spots, and also there's a sword that has magic regen as an effect as well.

It won't just regen on it's own, however. Same goes for health.

mujun

@diseased yak, did it look like half an elongated pine tree or a whole elongated pine tree?

@bootaaay, 2-1 is probably better than 4-1 at lower levels. you might want a piercing weapon tho.

@imperium, unfortunately there is no means to compare stuff in shops. a patch would be nice.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
mujun said:
@diseased yak, did it look like half an elongated pine tree or a whole elongated pine tree?

No, I would compare it to something akin to a slightly larger falchion. It was definitely a steel sword of some sort.

BeeDog

Damn I REALLY want this game, but I'm completely afraid of importing it. Not because of the importing process itself, but all the possible stuff in the future that could happen:

1. possible DLC gets released that is incompatible with the Asian release of the game
2. the trophies in this game will 'fuck up' my current trophy list on my current PSN account, if let's say there's an European edition coming out in the future and I decide to exchange my Asian version for it

etc. etc.

:(

Travado

Dear NCS Customer,

We will be shipping your order for PS3 Demon's Soul (Asian version) on Monday, March 23. Thanks.

Regards

OMG, finally! :D

i <3 tower of latria :) . i've seen (some of) the rest, & it's (for me) the best - exploring 3-2...

afa farming 4-1 early on: go slow, kill a few skeletons if you can (do use your shield), return to the nexus, level-up & repeat a few times was my approach. eventually, as you get comfortable, go a bit further (but do watch out for the black twin-katana skeletons - they're nasty)...

Brannon

This game has rightfully kicked my ass.

I'll do 1-2, but damn that dragon. Then 2-1 with the freaky laughing flamers that I just wanna STAB, then 3-1 which I haven't tried yet but give me time, and then 4-1 holy shit rolling skeletons*, and then 5-1. Nice enough, but then one of the early enemies got the jump on me and shit. Tore me up.

*Thing about skeletons is that I have never.

ever.

EVER respected them EVER. Because they are so lame and what the fuck, it's a SKELETON. It can move, big deal.

...then I meet these fuckers. Well done From Software. Well freaking done.

Lion Heart said:
I just beat 1-1 boss, how do I lvl up? Im still 4. Also should I use the unknown souls thing as soon as I get them?
Take it's soul and use the waypoint left where it died to go back to nexus. The blind bitch will then tell you to talk to the golden child wannabe, climb up the big ass staircase then up another big ass staircase to a balcony where there are a bunch of dead kids, the one with a lit candle is the one you talk to. After he tells you what's what, answer with: yes, I agree to metallurgically sodomize these punkass apparitions.

Then make your way back down to the blind bitch again. She'll now let you use your souls to level.

WTF, I just got something called a colorless demon's soul from this retarded looking fucker in 2-1 under the elevator that takes you up to where the magic fatass and the 2 boulder throwers are.

mujun

StateofMind said:
This game is hard as shit...

it is. if you get stuck and cant get through any given level then kill a few enemies in a level, warp back to the nexus, up your stats, buy a bow or something or craft a weapon.

youll eventually hit a point where you can then make it through any level that is giving you trouble fairly easily.

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
WTF, I just got something called a colorless demon's soul from this retarded looking fucker in 2-1 under the elevator that takes you up to where the magic fatass and the 2 boulder throwers are.
Congrats,it's a rare demon soul. IIRC you can only get 10 of these in the game. The fact that you got it from a primeval demon means your world tendency for this area is pure black? I assume you been killing friendly NPCs or dieing too many times?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I started exploring 2-2 tonight. Whoa. Gotta love those claustrophobic tunnels with the occasional giant fucking lava bug that has roughly 100 million billion hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom