• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeN

Xabora said:
Playing as the Temple Knight (Templar), and totally got my butt beat by the Knight with the Red Eyes. XD

I'm playing temple knight and I farmed him very early in the game. Like after I killed 1-1 and 1-2 boss (which were the first bosses I killed). Anyway I ran him back into the room just before you find him, that way if you die you can get your body back quick. Stock up on enfire item and move about 1/2 across the bridge and he will come after you in the room. Make sure clear the room and always always keep your shield up. When he attacks he will get stun and you can get in a quick weak attack. The only move you can't block is the shield bash which will stun you and set up for a spear up the gut (does about 3/4 of a revived life bar early in the game). When you see him about the do the shield bash keep your shield up and circle around him and riposte him in the ass. Wash rinse and repeat and you net 2k in souls and 3 full heal herbs.

Its going to take you a few practice to kill them but once you get it down you can farm the shit out of him early as a temple knight. Make sure you save up 20k souls for the nexus return spell for easy porting. And get your faith up to 14 so you can get 2 miracles. If your having trouble doing damage I think my halberd was at like +3 or 4 before I stared farming him.

Xabora

RavenFox said:
Boletarian Palace? I have a trick for defeating him.
Thats the place. >_<

JudgeN said:
I'm playing temple knight and I farmed him very early in the game. Like after I killed 1-1 and 1-2 boss (which were the first bosses I killed). Anyway I ran him back into the room just before you find him, that way if you die you can get your body back quick. Stock up on enfire item and move about 1/2 across the bridge and he will come after you in the room. Make sure clear the room and always always keep your shield up. When he attacks he will get stun and you can get in a quick weak attack. The only move you can't block is the shield bash which will stun you and set up for a spear up the gut (does about 3/4 of a revived life bar early in the game). When you see him about the do the shield bash keep your shield up and circle around him and riposte him in the ass. Wash rinse and repeat and you net 2k in souls and 3 full heal herbs.

Its going to take you a few practice to kill them but once you get it down you can farm the shit out of him early as a temple knight. Make sure you save up 20k souls for the nexus return spell for easy porting. And get your faith up to 14 so you can get 2 miracles. If your having trouble doing damage I think my halberd was at like +3 or 4 before I stared farming him.
Awesome, thanks!

oBa

Can someone explain to me where the flame resistant ring is in level 1-1? I must have missed it earlier. I am getting eaten alive by fire attacks and that ring would surely help.

Doctor_No

oBa said:
Can someone explain to me where the flame resistant ring is in level 1-1? I must have missed it earlier. I am getting eaten alive by fire attacks and that ring would surely help.

Its where the two dragons are sleeping on the hill. If you get too close the Red Dragon will breath fire at you. You can either lure it away and quickly run back to get treasure, or you can shoot at it from afar with a bow&arrow. It'll take a couple hundred shots but the red dragon will fly away. Luring him out is the cheaper option, shooting at him is more expensive but takes less skill. You also get some other very good items there as well.

A Map (where the two dragons are):
http://image02.wiki.livedoor.jp/d/s/demons_souls/ab2b473d.JPG

Defuser

Doctor_No said:
I've pre-ordered the book. Looking forward to it.

As far the the souls you get for killing the red and blue dragon in Boleteria, you can get 10k souls and 30K souls for using it, but there is no known usage for those particular Dragon's souls. Same goes for the soul of the Old One (you can get 200,000 souls). Unless their use is so well hidden that no one's figured it out, at this point there doesn't seem to be a use other then getting generic souls.
There has to be,they don't just give you souls for nothing. It's best to for that guide to come out for us to find out.

They only respawn a set-limit of times. The best way to kill them is to first clear the general vicinity of enemies(you can use the bow&arrow to draw enemies out so as to not startle the gecko), then use either bow&arrow or magic to hit them from a distance. This will stun them temporarily before they can run away, then run up to them immediately and keep hitting them. If you like, you can equip the thief ring to adjust the optimal distance to shoot them.

Its also best to reposition yourself while hitting them to realign their trajectory to make sure they don't fall off cliffs, etc.

I'm using lava bow plus Rage of God miracle. Works just as well.

oBa

Doctor_No said:
Its where the two dragons are sleeping on the hill. If you get too close the Red Dragon will breath fire at you. You can either lure it away and quickly run back to get treasure, or you can shoot at it from afar with a bow&arrow. It'll take a couple hundred shots but the red dragon will fly away. Luring him out is the cheaper option, shooting at him is more expensive but takes less skill. You also get some other very good items there as well.

A Map (where the two dragons are):
http://image02.wiki.livedoor.jp/d/s/demons_souls/ab2b473d.JPG

Awesome, thank you, thank you.

RavenFox

Banned
JudgeN said:

I just let him chase me across the palace walkway all the way to the stairs with the demons holding torches. He falls down to the bottom[instant death for him] and I get his souls and loot. No fighting no damage lol.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
After over a month of waiting, I finally got to fire up Demon's Souls last night. I must say, the game has surpassed the epic hype I had built up for it! The controls, the sound, the atmosphere, everything is just sublime.

I got bushwhacked by the guy at the end of the tutorial, so I'll save seeing what happens if you kill him for later. I started as a Noble, and by the time I quit last night I had killed the boss of 1-1, taken out a Black Phantom npc, and dozens of those glowing red dudes. I then blew over 10k souls on upgrading my stats, spreading it around between Strength, Vitality, and Endurance, and I took Luck up a few points as well. I think I bought around 5 or 6 points in Endurance alone, it seemed to be the best use of souls, since it upgraded so much.

I ended up sticking with a Scimitar I found, and I upgraded it to +1 via the blacksmith. I've also been using that Soul Arrow spell the Nobles start with, to great effect. I've noticed that since I put a few points into Magic that the spell itself does a lot more damage, or at least that's how I think I got it to hit harder. Some stat did that anyway.

Overall, initial impressions have just blown me away. I can't wait to get home from work and start in on 1-2 and 2-1 even.

RavenFox

Banned
garath said:
So the red guy is the invader and the 3 blue guys were what, co-op people? I didn't realize so many people could be in your world at once.

I really can't wait to get my hands on this game. Though I suspect I'll be playing a little offline is the invasions happen regularly when I'm trying to progress.
Yup, He was pretty much an assassin I think. Seems to have some sort of check list at the end. I could be wrong about that check list part.

What's the best place to order as far as delivery times are concerned? I'd pay a bit more to get a copy faster, but it looks like everyone is in the same boat with backorders.

I may just wait till it's all sorted.

garath

gregor7777 said:
What's the best place to order as far as delivery times are concerned? I'd pay a bit more to get a copy faster, but it looks like everyone is in the same boat with backorders.

I've only been following NCSX as that's where I ordered it from but their latest news update indicated that the shipment they are getting this week (Thursday I believe) will be big enough to fill all remaining backorders and start fulfilling new orders same day.

Though I would just keep an eye on all the major sites - YesAsia, Playasia, and NCSX and see who gets it in stock first.

JudgeN

gregor7777 said:

I got mine for yessia with 3-8 day shipping, got here in 5 days or so. They have faster shipping and its in stock.

eXistor

I finally picked up my game again (I wanted to finish MadWorld and RE5 first so I can now concentrate on DS). I just spent the last 4 hours dying a whole lot, but my equipment is a bit better now, but keeping souls is a real problem for me. I'm playing a thief and I just can't seem to finish any level except 1-1. I made it to the boss of 3-1, which seemed the easiest level so far, but she is kicking my ass. Thing is: I don't even care. In any other game I would have given up a long time ago, but here it just seems challenging instead of unfair.

Still, I wish I had some souls to do something with. like raise my stats. So far I haven't been able to spend any souls because I keep dying. Any good early/easy level good for soul collecting? Also, I still don't quite get soul levels. mine is now 11 apparantly, but I have no idea how it got raised. Is it just by collecting souls?

Doctor_No

eXistor said:
Still, I wish I had some souls to do something with. like raise my stats. So far I haven't been able to spend any souls because I keep dying. Any good early/easy level good for soul collecting? Also, I still don't quite get soul levels. mine is now 11 apparantly, but I have no idea how it got raised. Is it just by collecting souls?

The early places to level up are at 1-2 and 4-1.

If you are still very early, killing the slimes and retrieving ores are a good way to level up your weapons and gain some experience. After you beat the Tower Knight you can warp to 1-3 and confront the two blue-eyed knights near the warp point, this should yield you over 2,000 souls for a couple minutes of play and they always drop healing items. Which you can use when you're challenging other areas.

Once you're strong enough, you can challenge 4-1. The rolling skeletons are a good way to level up early on and there are a bunch of good items in the area. If you mange to get to 4-2 and 4-3, grinding becomes very easy. You can also kill the large axe demon in the courtyard by going atop the castle gates and shooting at it a couple hundred times with the bow&arrow using L1 aim, its an easy way to get a bunch of experience early on.

The wand and talisman are at early parts of 1-2 and 4-1, hence magic and miracles will open up to you if your on a class that doesn't already have it. Also, the early parts of each stages hold a lot of valuable loot, if you can't beat a certain area, I would advise to challenge others, by merely exploring you should build up a considerable arsenal, items of weapons and armor.

eXistor said:
I'm playing a thief and I just can't seem to finish any level except 1-1. I made it to the boss of 3-1, which seemed the easiest level so far, but she is kicking my ass. Thing is: I don't even care. In any other game I would have given up a long time ago, but here it just seems challenging instead of unfair.

i'm playing as a wanderer, & i didn't start going after bosses (other than the first one) til i was lvl 20-25 :) (&, yeah, each time you raise a stat, you gain a level)...

the game (especially early on) is all about grinding. as doctor_no suggests, pass on bosses for a bit, & just work on your character. things i wish i'd done sooner: gotten a bow, & upgraded both magics to the point i can use 2 of each. if you're going to play a lightweight-class character, you want to have as many options as possible. play conservatively, pack it in when you've gotten a few thousand souls, spend them wisely, & repeat...

there was a point early on, when i was also dying like crazy, when, despite the fact that i loved the game, i was wondering if it was just beyond me. i'm really glad i just chilled, & took my time. i'm lvl 35, at this point, 5 bosses beaten, & my character's a tough little punk :) ...

DaveKap

Banned
RavenFox said:
Yup, He was pretty much an assassin I think. Seems to have some sort of check list at the end. I could be wrong about that check list part.

Yeah that's not a checklist, it's the list of emotes you can use. Hold X to see the list and then after you can hold X and do the SIXAXIS motions to do the emote quicker.

mujun

great. while playing 3-2 the screen went black and i had to quit out.

my ps3 drive has busted again (2nd time despite the fact i dont clock that many hours on it).

i hope my save isnt ruined because i shut down in the middle of a game.

i also hope they get it back to me in a short time and my hdd doesnt get wiped.

shit happens :D

Doctor_No

Defuser said:
Those crystal geckos still doesn't respawn no matter how many times I visit Stonefang 2-2 or leave it for a certain time.

They will only respawn a set number of times per location. They unfortunately don't infinitely respawn, and its not linked to how many times you successfully catch the geckos- if you miss them, you lose them. You can try to get them again on New Game+, but otherwise you'll have to find another spawn point. Fortunately, there are quite a few.

Victrix

*beard*
semiconscious said:
the game (especially early on) is all about grinding. as doctor_no suggests, pass on bosses for a bit, & just work on your character.

I disagree with this almost entirely. It is never, ever necessary to grind anything. When you DO need a few extra souls to use a new item or something, there are a few spots in the game that seem almost made for giving you souls for free.

The rest is all about tackling the areas in a comfortable order, using the right gear, the right magic, building up your stats intelligently, and simply playing smart and skillfully.

Grinding early is boring and slow, and you always improve your character by finding new permanent items. Losing a few souls to progress is no big deal, sooner or later you're going to hit one of the made-for-free-souls areas, and even those you don't really need.

All that said, if you're having an issue progressing anywhere for whatever reason, yes, you can grind away to gain soul levels, but it's not something I enjoy :p

anddo0

Doctor_No said:
They will only respawn a set number of times per location. They unfortunately don't infinitely respawn, and its not linked to how many times you successfully catch the geckos- if you miss them, you lose them. You can try to get them again on New Game+, but otherwise you'll have to find another spawn point. Fortunately, there are quite a few.

They haven't spawned on 4-2/4-3 in forever. I need Pure Darkmoonstone and can't get it :(
I'm pretty close to the end game anyway. I beat the Penetrator so shouldn't be too long now.

Victrix said:
I disagree with this almost entirely. It is never, ever necessary to grind anything. When you DO need a few extra souls to use a new item or something, there are a few spots in the game that seem almost made for giving you souls for free.

The rest is all about tackling the areas in a comfortable order, using the right gear, the right magic, building up your stats intelligently, and simply playing smart and skillfully.

Grinding early is boring and slow, and you always improve your character by finding new permanent items. Losing a few souls to progress is no big deal, sooner or later you're going to hit one of the made-for-free-souls areas, and even those you don't really need.

All that said, if you're having an issue progressing anywhere for whatever reason, yes, you can grind away to gain soul levels, but it's not something I enjoy :p

which is exactly what i was saying to the original poster: that early on, for people like himself & me who have problems progressing, the game is all about grinding for a bit (which's something i don't particularly enjoy, either, but which ended up making the game a lot more enjoyable overall)...

otoh, if you don't have to, yeah, don't :) ...

Corto

Yayyyyyy... I've just received mine from ebay and I can't wait to put it on the PS3 to play it. I'll comeback to this thread if I get stuck in the game to check for hints. :D

Corto said:
Yayyyyyy... I've just received mine from ebay and I can't wait to put it on the PS3 to play it. I'll comeback to this thread if I get stuck in the game to check for hints. :D

We're always here to help!

Also, if you have IRC access - we've got a chat/co-op connection/general help channel setup -
server : irc.synirc.net.
channel: #DemonGoons

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
We're always here to help!

Also, if you have IRC access - we've got a chat/co-op connection/general help channel setup -
server : irc.synirc.net.
channel: #DemonGoons

Dude, that was some epic co-op last night! Easily some of the most fun co-op'ing in a game that I've ever had. I'm surprised at how easy it is to meet up with people that you want to, just takes a little bit of coordination.

I noticed on the miner guys who are susceptible to piercing that while my scimitar wasn't doing much damage at all to them (unless I backstabbed), my Soul Arrow spell was doing fantastic. I've got my Magic up to 16 now and it hammers shit.

Before I logged off for the night I upped my stats some more, getting Will up to 14 so now I can memorize two spells. I also bought some more spells, everything I could afford. Is Protection worth burning a slot for?

Diseased Yak said:
Dude, that was some epic co-op last night! Easily some of the most fun co-op'ing in a game that I've ever had. I'm surprised at how easy it is to meet up with people that you want to, just takes a little bit of coordination.

I noticed on the miner guys who are susceptible to piercing that while my scimitar wasn't doing much damage at all to them (unless I backstabbed), my Soul Arrow spell was doing fantastic. I've got my Magic up to 16 now and it hammers shit.

Before I logged off for the night I upped my stats some more, getting Will up to 14 so now I can memorize two spells. I also bought some more spells, everything I could afford. Is Protection worth burning a slot for?

Yea it was, I love co-op honestly. I usually don't enjoy online games, but this one is much different. When playing my noble, I've noticed the same - magic can be quite powerful in this game and most enemies are done if they get hit with it. The beauty of this game is the strategy/different approaches necessary to efficiently tackle the levels. Protection is nice, but saving Freke in 3-1 will allow you to make Total Protection with the tower knight's soul.

Total Protection is much stronger, but takes up two slots. Protection will be useful for the time being but once you have enough for at least one offensive spell, Total Protection won't do you much good as magic caster. So yes, it is worth a slot ATM. Once you beat 3-1 you will also be able to make SoulLight, the more powerful SoulArrow spell.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Yea it was, I love co-op honestly. I usually don't enjoy online games, but this one is much different. When playing my noble, I've noticed the same - magic can be quite powerful in this game and most enemies are done if they get hit with it. The beauty of this game is the strategy/different approaches necessary to efficiently tackle the levels. Protection is nice, but saving Freke in 3-1 will allow you to make Total Protection with the tower knight's soul.

Total Protection is much stronger, but takes up two slots. Protection will be useful for the time being but once you have enough for at least one offensive spell, Total Protection won't do you much good as magic caster. So yes, it is worth a slot ATM. Once you beat 3-1 you will also be able to make SoulLight, the more powerful SoulArrow spell.

Awesome, sounds good. Can't wait to get a more powerful SoulArrow. I love that spell. It seemed to be working great on the 1-2 boss even. I'm really loving magic in this game, and plan to take my Royal in more of that direction.

matmanx1

Argh! Flamelurker just ate me =( He was faster than I expected and managed to trap me in a corner. At that point I was dead meat. I am wearing the fire protection ring but I'm wondering if the water veil spell stacks with it to further decrease fire damage done? I honestly dont know if it would have helped me since I got stuck but anything that decreases the amount of damage I take from him is a good thing.

Soul Arrow was hitting him pretty well but I've got to get better at being evasive while casting. I've got a bloodstain in there with 16k souls on it I'd like to have back!

2-2 blew me away, honestly. Just the sense of claustrophobia in the small, dark tunnels that opened up on dead drops with lava far below and way the whole thing directs you to that final epic encounter is wickedly cool. The only pain was those lava bugs who werent difficult but just took WAY to long for me to kill. I either need to bring more MP regen grass or find a better weapon for them. Rapier shots for 13 damage a hit arent cutting it, hehe.

eXistor

Doctor_No said:
The early places to level up are at 1-2 and 4-1.
Thanks for the info Doc. and Semiconcious.
I' ve been playing all afternoon and my character is slowly but surely getting stronger. I found the easiest way to get a bunch of souls quickly was in 3-1, the magicians there give a cool 428 souls per kill and they're not too tough.

Also I noticed yesterday that all of a sudden I was getting 600 souls per kill, but now it's back to normal. Any idea what might have caused that?

mujun

matmanx1 said:
Argh! Flamelurker just ate me =( He was faster than I expected and managed to trap me in a corner. At that point I was dead meat. I am wearing the fire protection ring but I'm wondering if the water veil spell stacks with it to further decrease fire damage done? I honestly dont know if it would have helped me since I got stuck but anything that decreases the amount of damage I take from him is a good thing.

Soul Arrow was hitting him pretty well but I've got to get better at being evasive while casting. I've got a bloodstain in there with 16k souls on it I'd like to have back!

2-2 blew me away, honestly. Just the sense of claustrophobia in the small, dark tunnels that opened up on dead drops with lava far below and way the whole thing directs you to that final epic encounter is wickedly cool. The only pain was those lava bugs who werent difficult but just took WAY to long for me to kill. I either need to bring more MP regen grass or find a better weapon for them. Rapier shots for 13 damage a hit arent cutting it, hehe.

to your left as soon as you pass through the veil is a bone. hide behind it and he'll get stuck on the other side. from there you can melee, ranged or magic him.

@existor. black tendency, raises the dif of the stage and the souls received.

RavenFox

Banned
Wow you guys sound very happy with the game. I'm glad for that. I'm also taking my time and enjoying this game leveling up without rushing through.

anddo0

Ok, I just beat the game however there is something I don't get..
How do you fight Old King Doran?

Great ending! and a tremendous effort by From Software.

Victrix

*beard*
There's two ways, though one is much easier

Old King Doran spoilers, avoid if you want to figure this out yourself.

Kill Ostrava, he'll drop the key. That's the easiest, most reliable method.

The other is to get him to GIVE you the key, but this is a pain in the ass. To do so, you have to meet and help him in 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, and finally he gives you the key in the last area. But if he dies anywhere along the way, or randomly vanishes, you lose out completely. The upshot to doing it this way is he'll actually show up in the Nexus and tell some pretty cool stories, but its tough to do.

Brannon said:
I have waited long for this day; it is HERE! Now to play th

*installing*

Okay now that is done it is time to DO IT!

Enjoy it! come to the IRC channel if you need some help! Or, check the wiki. Doesn't it feel great to finally get that package?!

Damnit, still waiting for my copy from Yesasia - luckily I found a friend who wants the game, so I bought a copy from ebay and will sell him the Yesasia one when (if) it eventually arrives. Hopefully I should have my copy before the weekend, can't wait to join you guys online & in the irc channel (great idea btw) - reading this thread over the past month has been just painful although i'm really glad you guys are enjoying it, I can't remember the last time I was this hyped for a game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom