• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brannon

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Enjoy it! come to the IRC channel if you need some help! Or, check the wiki. Doesn't it feel great to finally get that package?!

Where is the IRC channel these days? (PM)

Also, after getting stomped by the tutorial boss, I now realize just how ball-busting this game is. Just going through the first level is brutal. Around every corner could be sword ready to poke you, or a horde of lesser soldiers ready to unbalance you with flame strikes and...

Yeah, first time in a long time I don't go rushing into a place.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I hate that the asian version doesn't have a fully english manual, because I hate asking stupid questions like this...

How do I allow myself to be summoned? Do you have to be in soul mode? What exactly do you need to do to initiate that? I'd like to play a little co-op with a friend of mine who just got the game.

JudgeN

I really hope we get a sequel, now that they have a good engine they can optimize it a little more to smooth out the random frame rate drops the game has every now and then. Please give us Demon's Souls 2 From software/Sony.

Victrix

*beard*
A short time into the game, you'll get a white and blue stone. After killing your first npc black phantom, you'll get the black stone.

While a ghost (dead), you can use the blue stone to drop a coop rune on the ground. Any live player in the same spot and in the level range +/- 10 levels can see it and activate it to summon you as a blue phantom. The rune shows your PSN name and your multiplayer ratings and shows up like the red messages, but in blue text on the ground.

You can also use a black stone to invade a live players game and try to kill them as a black phantom, same level restriction.

If you succeed in helping a live player kill a boss, or kill a live player as a black phantom, you revive.

The first patch is supposedly widening the range of levels for higher level players, but that's not a concern for your first playthrough at all.

The white stone is used to leave a game you joined as a phantom.

Captain Pants

Victrix said:
A short time into the game, you'll get a white and blue stone. After killing your first npc black phantom, you'll get the black stone.

While a ghost (dead), you can use the blue stone to drop a coop rune on the ground. Any live player in the same spot and in the level range +/- 10 levels can see it and activate it to summon you as a blue phantom. The rune shows your PSN name and your multiplayer ratings and shows up like the red messages, but in blue text on the ground.

You can also use a black stone to invade a live players game and try to kill them as a black phantom, same level restriction.

If you succeed in helping a live player kill a boss, or kill a live player as a black phantom, you revive.

The first patch is supposedly widening the range of levels for higher level players, but that's not a concern for your first playthrough at all.

The white stone is used to leave a game you joined as a phantom.

Thank you so much... I've gone about 23 hours in the game without really bothering to see what those things did. I am an idiot.:p Oh well... I probably won't be able to play with my friend since I'm around level 50, and he is just getting started.

matmanx1

Woohoo! Beat Flamelurker just now. Took 3 tries and I lost more souls doing it but that makes it all the more satisfying. And thanks for the tip about standing behind the bone but that didnt work so well for me. He had trouble negotiating around it but he still managed to get back there a time or two forcing me to run around and play chicken trying to get back in the safe(er) spot. However! Flame Resist ring + Water shield works very, very well! I was taking FAR less damage with that combo than with just the flame resist ring. Now I'm wondering if this combo will allow me to survive a couple dragon's breaths so I can get some of that loot on the gnoll in 1-1, hehe.

Oh and, what's the deal with the guy in the mausoleum in 1-1? I forgot I had picked up the mausoleum key on my first or second night playing and finally figured out what it went to after I beat the red eyed knight for the first time. I opened the door and walked in and the guy started in on some kind of speech about "testing my strength" so I turned around and walked out. I didnt know if I was supposed to kill him or what but I was in the middle of soul farming so I left him for another day.

So now that I've finished 2-2 should I keep going on 2 or try my hand at 3 or 4? I'm soul level 30 if that helps.

Brannon

Still in the beginning, made it past flame swords and archers and blue-eyed knights no problem; I've got parry/reposte down pat.

Then I walk a little further around a corner and on a battlement stands a lone knight.

"Interesting..."

He sees me and starts running at me-

"I can take him, it's just one"

He's really hauling ass-

"Roll left... block button, stab, I can do this"

The other enemies didn't come at me like this-

"Almost here..."

I'm not supposed to be here.

"...RUN BITCH!"

I run away, all the way back to some stairs. But he's still on my ass. I panic and run down some stairs, but a flashback from justin.tv tells me to STOP.

I do so just in time to see some fire-carrying guys blow up barrels right in front of me. I wait a moment then remember that death is behind me and roll just as it attacks. Haul more ass and do some double-backs until I reached a doorway to a balcony with breakable chains.

Dead end. No man NO. Raise shield and wait for the knight to come out onto the balcony. But it doesn't come; it's gone back to its place! YES!

I leave the balcony and head dashing back up the stairs. Something's in front of me, maybe a soul passing through? I run some more and oh shit-

"DEMON KNIGHT!?"

*ATTACK YOU!

"Dodge left!"

-dodges-

Right off the damn stairs. As I fell to my death I realized that, maybe, just maybe, I could've taken him on. Could I have? Off the game for now but I'll find out later. That was so awesome.

mujun

matmanx1 said:
Oh and, what's the deal with the guy in the mausoleum in 1-1? I forgot I had picked up the mausoleum key on my first or second night playing and finally figured out what it went to after I beat the red eyed knight for the first time. I opened the door and walked in and the guy started in on some kind of speech about "testing my strength" so I turned around and walked out. I didnt know if I was supposed to kill him or what but I was in the middle of soul farming so I left him for another day.

king doran
beat him a little to get the soul brand sword (half of the best weapon in the game pretty much). kill him to get the above plus his armor which is really good and a stamina regen ring. he's very hard. wear the thief ring and backstab him after attacking one time and running away, if you get far enough away he'll turn around and head back into the room you met him in.

Captain Pants

Brannon said:
Still in the beginning, made it past flame swords and archers and blue-eyed knights no problem; I've got parry/reposte down pat.

Then I walk a little further around a corner and on a battlement stands a lone knight.

"Interesting..."

He's really hauling ass-

"Almost here..."

"...RUN BITCH!"

I run away, all the way back to some stairs. But he's still on my ass. I panic and run down some stairs, but a flashback from justin.tv tells me to STOP.

I do so just in time to see some fire-carrying guys blow up barrels right in front of me. I wait a moment then remember that death is behind me and roll just as it attacks. Haul more ass and do some double-backs until I reached a doorway to a balcony with breakable chains.

Dead end. No man NO. Raise shield and wait for the knight to come out onto the balcony. But it doesn't come; it's gone back to its place! YES!

I leave the balcony and head dashing back up the stairs. Something's in front of me, maybe a soul passing through? I run some more and oh shit-

"DEMON KNIGHT!?"

*ATTACK YOU!

"Dodge left!"

-dodges-

Right off the damn stairs. As I fell to my death I realized that, maybe, just maybe, I could've taken him on. Could I have? Off the game for now but I'll find out later. That was so awesome.
:lol :lol :lol

...and that is why I love this game!

biocat

Captain Pants said:
Thank you so much... I've gone about 23 hours in the game without really bothering to see what those things did. I am an idiot.:p Oh well... I probably won't be able to play with my friend since I'm around level 50, and he is just getting started.

That's one of the best aspects of the game. You can still mess around online even if you're level 50.

Corto

Just to ask some opinion about selecting a class. I've checked with the wiki to collect some info about each one of them, but the class that I was inclined to (magician) as a caveat stating that it's one of the most difficult classes to start with. So what class do you recommend to a neophyte that likes a mix of ranged magic attacks, DOT spells, but with some stamina and physical abilities that enables some direct combat if needed?

Kudos to the people that are managing the wiki... It will be my companion through this game. :D

RavenFox

Banned
Brannon said:

"Interesting..."

He's really hauling ass-

"Almost here..."

"...RUN BITCH!"

"DEMON KNIGHT!?"

*ATTACK YOU!

"Dodge left!"

-dodges-

:lol Dude you had him. That's how you kill him on a low lvl. If you make him chase you down the stairs he will run right off at the first corner and fall to his doom. Clear the steps first. You can do this over and over. That bastard drops over 2000 souls pluse some half or late moon grass.

Im in StoneFang pass the first door and there is a fire lizard on the wall and Im all out of arrows. fuuuuckkk :-(

ChrisD84

Bootaaay said:
Damnit, still waiting for my copy from Yesasia

Same here, maybe it's just me, but i don't see why it should take this long to arrive.

If it doesn't come by the end of this week then the earliest it could come is monday, making it almost a month since they shipped it to me!

Almost makes me wish i'd coughed up the extra 20 quid for the quicker delivery :lol

anddo0

Am I missing something? I'm on my second run 1-1, using the Soulbrand sword. The problem is it does no damage. What is the purpose of this sword?

Also I dropped three soul levels for no apparent reason. What could cause that?

Defuser

anddo0 said:
Am I missing something? I'm on my second run 1-1, using the Soulbrand sword. The problem is it does no damage. What is the purpose of this sword?
Soulbrand only does damage depending on your Black tendency.So if you're pure white,use DemonBrand which you can get from Old King Doran.

RavenFox

Banned
Where the hell is this guy Thomas in the Nexus Im suppose to give the Jade Hair Ornament to?

edit:eek its the guy that stores your stuff lol

Okay how do I give it to him? I have have deposit, take, talk and leave as choices.

This game is crazy. I just beat the first demon, but that fucking dragon is getting on my nerves. Tell me you can kill the fucker later on, I needs satisfaction.

Victrix

*beard*
anddo0 said:

There's a few ways to lose soul levels

If you die to an environmental hazard or suicide in pvp AS a black phantom, you lose a soul level. That is, dragon breath, fell in lava, fell off a cliff, etc. Not just dying, that doesn't hurt you. It discourages joining games as a black phantom and suiciding to change alignment to white (you can of course allow the other player to just kill you for the same goal)

Also
The last boss can drain them

Defuser

MickeyKnox said:
This game is crazy. I just beat the first demon, but that fucking dragon is getting on my nerves. Tell me you can kill the fucker later on, I needs satisfaction.
You can kill it in 1-2 where you have to cross the wall of bridge.You will need at least 150 arrows to kill it. But bring 200 arrows to just to be safe and in case you miss any shots.

RavenFox said:
Okay how do I give it to him? I have have deposit, take, talk and leave as choices.
Just keep talking to him. Eventually,he would notice the jade ornament in your possession.

RavenFox

Banned
Defuser said:
You can kill it in 1-2 where you have to cross the wall of bridge.You will need at least 150 arrows to kill it. But bring 200 arrows to just to be safe and in case you miss any shots.

Just keep talking to him. Eventually,he would notice the jade ornament in your possession.
Ahh thank you so much.

anddo0

Victrix said:
There's a few ways to lose soul levels

If you die to an environmental hazard or suicide in pvp AS a black phantom, you lose a soul level. That is, dragon breath, fell in lava, fell off a cliff, etc. Not just dying, that doesn't hurt you. It discourages joining games as a black phantom and suiciding to change alignment to white (you can of course allow the other player to just kill you for the same goal)

Also
The last boss can drain them

Thanks.. I think it was
The last boss, he got three or four times with the soul drain

finally checked out the valley of defilement, & ran into the boss (5-1) - any suggestions?
i tried sniping him, but he heals almost immediately?
thanks...

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Brannon said:

"Interesting..."

He's really hauling ass-

"Almost here..."

"...RUN BITCH!"

"DEMON KNIGHT!?"

*ATTACK YOU!

"Dodge left!"

-dodges-

:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

this sounds so awesome.

Captain Pants

Corto said:
Just to ask some opinion about selecting a class. I've checked with the wiki to collect some info about each one of them, but the class that I was inclined to (magician) as a caveat stating that it's one of the most difficult classes to start with. So what class do you recommend to a neophyte that likes a mix of ranged magic attacks, DOT spells, but with some stamina and physical abilities that enables some direct combat if needed?

Kudos to the people that are managing the wiki... It will be my companion through this game. :D

It sounds like you should go with the Noble class. That is what I went with. The Noble is good with magic and he is nimble enough that he does pretty good in direct combat. Be prepared to roll a lot.:D

sca2511

Brannon said:
Where is the IRC channel these days? (PM)

Also, after getting stomped by the tutorial boss, I now realize just how ball-busting this game is. Just going through the first level is brutal. Around every corner could be sword ready to poke you, or a horde of lesser soldiers ready to unbalance you with flame strikes and...

Yeah, first time in a long time I don't go rushing into a place.
fuck pm me the irc channel too, i want in!

Defuser

Anybody can clear me up on blessed weapons? From what I know you have to upgrade weapons a fair bit before you can use colorless demon souls to make it into blessed weapon. But does this limit to certain type of weapon? or it can be done on any weapon?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Another night of epic Demon's Souls action last night. So far I've completed 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, and now 3-1. Holy shit is the world inside Archstone 3 freaky as shit! Not only that, but what happens after you beat the 3-1 boss is crazy awesome, not to mention the 3-2 entrance... wow! This game continues to surprise me.

I also love how your power ramps up. Early on, I tried 4-1 and those rolling skeletons kicked my ass quick. I went in last night armed with Total Protection and Soul Light and they could barely scratch me while I annihilated them in one or two casts. A big middle finger, though, to whomever thought to put traps that instantly kill you with arrows in your back! :lol

I'm wondering, though, how long I'm going to be in my starting armor. I've found quite a few sets of other stuff, but it's either female-only, less powerful, or way too bulky. I can wear the Fluted armor without overburdening myself, but it feels like it rips too much agility from me. I love rolling around, shooting spells with my Royal, and anything that hinders that goes into the bank.

Yes, got my copy from ebay today! And holy shit, this is hard :lol I picked the Wanderer class and i've died like 10 times already on the first level after the tutorial, it's so maddening trying to reclaim your souls only to die and lose the lot of them - i'm getting slightly better each time though, and the text messages and blood patches have been a great help for the most part. Really fun so far, can't wait to put more time into this :)

eXistor

Bootaaay said:
Yes, got my copy from ebay today! And holy shit, this is hard :lol I picked the Wanderer class and i've died like 10 times already on the first level after the tutorial, it's so maddening trying to reclaim your souls only to die and lose the lot of them - i'm getting slightly better each time though, and the text messages and blood patches have been a great help for the most part. Really fun so far, can't wait to put more time into this :)
Once you accept dying (a lot) as a part of the game you really start to appreciate what the game has to offer.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Bootaaay said:

I'd advise not to really go out of your way to reclaim your souls, especially at the start of the game. Later on it'll become easier to farm them when you wanna upgrade. It's almost better to just ignore doing that unless they just happen to be on your way forward when you are working on beating a given level for the first time.

I think I died like 20 times getting through 3-1 yesterday, and came out with pretty much just the souls I got from killing the boss. Then I spent some time killing stuff at the start of 4-1 to get enough to upgrade some stuff. The regular souls you get in item form help, too. Save those up until you need them for upgrading and then use 'em.

mujun

anddo0 said:

combine with demon brand for best weapon in the game :)

Diseased Yak said:
I'm wondering, though, how long I'm going to be in my starting armor. I've found quite a few sets of other stuff, but it's either female-only, less powerful, or way too bulky. I can wear the Fluted armor without overburdening myself, but it feels like it rips too much agility from me. I love rolling around, shooting spells with my Royal, and anything that hinders that goes into the bank.

yep,... i swapped my wanderer leathers for the ninja/thief outfit (whatever it's called), which's even more lightweight (& weaker defensively). i've considered flute & chain mail, but the combination of agility & low weight you have with the weaker armors is just too good to give up, imo...

Brannon

Beat the Phalanx (beginning to see how they're naming the bosses, nice) and decided to start over and test my mettle against the tutorial boss. Much easier this time since I had to remember to play it like a Hell run of Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?. Felt great parrying everything the soldiers threw at me, and beating the boss gives a lot of great loot on the way to the... well yeah that guy.

Usually when you do well in a tutorial they give you mad props like in Call of Duty 4. Not here. God, not here. At the very least, everybody will die at least once in this game.

Got my Vanguard soul though!

Defuser

Diseased Yak said:
Sadly,the amount of armor in the game is little and you will find yourself sticking to same armor most of the time.

If you want the best lightweight armor. I suggest getting the key from Ostrava which will unlock the door in 1-1 where the black knight is guarding,kill old king doran and get his armor.

Apologies if this has already been asked, but I did a search and have checked the wiki (which is awesome by the way) and couldn't find an answer. Boss souls can be crafted into weapons, right? How? The blacksmith doesn't have an option for it as far as I can see. Do I have to use the souls?

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Rummy Bunnz said:
Apologies if this has already been asked, but I did a search and have checked the wiki (which is awesome by the way) and couldn't find an answer. Boss souls can be crafted into weapons, right? How? The blacksmith doesn't have an option for it as far as I can see. Do I have to use the souls?

They can be used for forging weapons but some of them also can be turned in for spells. On the Wiki, click on Items and Equipment, then go to Consumables, then scroll down to the bottom. I couldn't find it at first either, probably needs to be put in a more obvious section. Anyway, some souls have multiple uses, which makes it so you can't get all the weapons and all the spells in one play-through.

Edit: Oh, and for why the blacksmith doesn't have the option showing to do that, well, it's not the Nexus blacksmith that offers this service :)

RavenFox

Banned
Diseased Yak said:
They can be used for forging weapons but some of them also can be turned in for spells. On the Wiki, click on Items and Equipment, then go to Consumables, then scroll down to the bottom. I couldn't find it at first either, probably needs to be put in a more obvious section. Anyway, some souls have multiple uses, which makes it so you can't get all the weapons and all the spells in one play-through.

Edit: Oh, and for why the blacksmith doesn't have the option showing to do that, well, it's not the Nexus blacksmith that offers this service :)
I don't thing the one in
StoneFang
does either but maybe I missed something.

Brannon

I like how it's okay to use the special items for weapons or spells since you can always try something different on the next playthrough. There won't be any holding back here.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
RavenFox said:
I don't thing the one in
StoneFang
does either but maybe I missed something.

That's him, however you got to
bring him the Flamelurker's soul (2-2 boss) in order for him to start forging weapons with other souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom