• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

mujun

archnemesis said:
I know you're done playing the game, but I thought it would be worth mentioning this here anyway. You don't have to grind souls for the expensive rings. Both the Fragrant Ring (60.000 souls) and the Ring of Avarice (50.000 souls) can be found in level 3-2. It's probably better to spend your souls on leveling up your base stats instead.

true, i spent all my pennies on arrows, stat increases, minerals, weapon upgrades and that's about it.

all my equipment i either found, was given, looted or crafted.

Defuser

archnemesis said:
Man this game is really amazing. Right now I'm stuck on the 3-2 boss and even after dying a silly amount of times, I can't wait to get back to it later tonight.
Yeah,among all the bosses. Maneater seems to be the hardest since there's 2 of them.

RavenFox

Banned
Guys I have obtained some magic and its now in the slot just above my item slot. How do I use it?

edit: By the way its the soul arrow.

RavenFox said:
Guys I have obtained some magic and its now in the slot just above my item slot. How do I use it?

edit: By the way its the soul arrow.
You need a catalyst (like a wand or something). Equip it and you'll be able to cast spells. For miracles you need a talisman. You can buy one from the vendor in the Tower of Latria or find it as a treasure.

beat the 3-1 boss, & i have souls to burn :) . question: how helpful/useful is the evacuate spell? i've already seen 1 goodie (in 4-1) way to the right at the base of the wall with the archers, but it looks like, if you drop down, you'll be stuck, with no way out - i'm wondering if it's worth the 20,000 souls for instances like this, & for just packing it in, in general...

RavenFox

Banned
archnemesis said:
You need a catalyst (like a wand or something). Equip it and you'll be able to cast spells. For miracles you need a talisman. You can buy one from the vendor in the Tower of Latria or find it as a treasure.
Ahh I see. thanks Archnemesis

matmanx1

Beat Phalanx last night. Fun fight! Love the slimes in this game, first time I saw one was on some stairs in a dimly lit tower and I was like WHAT IS THAT PULSATING THING?? And it sort of creeped me out! I'm happy to say I didnt die at all in 1-1, including Phalanx although I got roasted trying to make it across the wall in 1-2 by the dragon. Is there some trick to that or should I be going a different way?

Also, what's the first available talisman for miracles? My Noble has been a blast and a competent spell caster right from the start but I'd love to add a miracle or two to his repertoire.

And finally may I say that I think this game is incredible. It isnt perfect by any stretch but it's already sucked me in harder than any game I've played in a LONG time. The atmosphere, the level design, the difficulty, the animation (which is awesome and I havent seen it mentioned before; seriously these guys should teach other jRPG makers how to properly animate for realistic looking combat) and the unforgiving difficulty make Demon's Souls an absolutely engrossing experience.

semiconscious said:
beat the 3-1 boss, & i have souls to burn :) . question: how helpful/useful is the evacuate spell? i've already seen 1 goodie (in 4-1) way to the right at the base of the wall with the archers, but it looks like, if you drop down, you'll be stuck, with no way out - i'm wondering if it's worth the 20,000 souls for instances like this, & for just packing it in, in general...
I'm currently playing as a soldier and with my poor magic skills it's the only spell I find really useful. The single use items are 5000 souls each, so it seemed like a good investment. It's more for the convenience than teleporting back from dead ends.
RavenFox said:
Ahh I see. thanks Archnemesis
You're welcome.

Aretak

matmanx1 said:
I got roasted trying to make it across the wall in 1-2 by the dragon. Is there some trick to that or should I be going a different way?
My soldier has always been able to make it across with the right timing (at least from the first time I tried 1-2), but I don't know if other classes have less stamina starting out, meaning they can't sprint as far? Might be that you need to upgrade that first.

Also, what's the first available talisman for miracles? My Noble has been a blast and a competent spell caster right from the start but I'd love to add a miracle or two to his repertoire.
There's a Talisman of God not far into 4-1. You'll need to kill quite a few of those skeletons to get at it though, and possibly the big monster that's at the top of the first set of stairs. There might be one that's easier to obtain, but that's where I got my first one.

matmanx1

I timed my sprint and made it across the bridge but the 3 or 4 crossbowmen and the Blue-eyed knight at the top made sure I didnt get any further. Oh well.

From there I decided to check out Stonefang and I had good success with that and was able to get enough souls to level up several times and a BUNCH of ore. I dont know what the recommended progression is but since I'm having success in Stonefang I might stick with that for abit.

My noble is still in his starting clothes although I have enough strength I could actually buy platemail off of the merchant Ive encountered. Or maybe go for the Heater shield offered by the smith in the Nexus. Would it be worth it to upgrade or should I just concentrate on soul level? Right now I can die in just 4 or 5 hits, depending on the monster, and getting surrounded is a sure-fire quick death. But I do enjoy being light on my feet and the speed of my rapier is serving me well in close quarters combat.

archnemesis said:
I'm currently playing as a soldier and with my poor magic skills it's the only spell I find really useful. The single use items are 5000 souls each, so it seemed like a good investment. It's more for the convenience than teleporting back from dead ends.

thanks - went ahead & got it (tired of losing bunches of souls, mostly - & i've since read it even works in boss battles, which's handy)...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Last night I got like 500,000 souls in under 30 minutes by farming enemy players who kept trying to invade my world.

I positioned myself behind the spawn location in 4-1 and because it was around 8pm in Japan there were a lot of people playing. You can tell when someone is invading your game because the game locks up for a brief moment when loading their model. I consistently was able to catch enemy players by surprise and using the Demon Brand I could kill them in 2 or 3 hits usually. I initially started with the Soul Brand because my soul tendency was black, but after killing a few enemy players my guy changed to pure white so I had to switch to the Demon Brand.

This definitely is a quick way to get a lot of souls and to change your tendency to white, but the frequency in which enemy players can invade your game is pretty annoying if you are trying to make any progress. After my little exping session I went into offline mode, because there would be no way for me to actually beat a stage with people constantly invading my world.

I think I will play the game offline whenever I am not in soul form and don't want to PvP.

Xabora

BadAss84 said:
Still waiting on my copy from yesasia that shipped on the 26th >_<

Surely it has to come soon, maybe tomorrow will be the day :D
Mine comes in tomorrow. :D
Took NCSX long enough to ship it. >_<

RavenFox

Banned
Zefah said:
Last night I got like 500,000 souls in under 30 minutes by farming enemy players who kept trying to invade my world.

I positioned myself behind the spawn location in 4-1 and because it was around 8pm in Japan there were a lot of people playing. You can tell when someone is invading your game because the game locks up for a brief moment when loading their model. I consistently was able to catch enemy players by surprise and using the Demon Brand I could kill them in 2 or 3 hits usually. I initially started with the Soul Brand because my soul tendency was black, but after killing a few enemy players my guy changed to pure white so I had to switch to the Demon Brand.

This definitely is a quick way to get a lot of souls and to change your tendency to white, but the frequency in which enemy players can invade your game is pretty annoying if you are trying to make any progress. After my little exping session I went into offline mode, because there would be no way for me to actually beat a stage with people constantly invading my world.

I think I will play the game offline whenever I am not in soul form and don't want to PvP.
Thats damn scary. I was just in Stone fang and it said a black phantom has invaded my world. OST_KUMI was the name. I high tailed my ass back to the nexus spawn point and waited. I saw him or she at the top of the steps appearing and then leaving. I got my ass out of there :lol

matmanx1

Haha, same guy who came into my world also although he didnt stay long. Just beat the tower knight and that was a really fun fight with all the extra guys you have to deal with. So far being a magic user has been a real bonus for the bosses although I've gotten close to dieing to a solo blue-eyed knight more than once so it definitely has its downsides as well. Woohoo back to the Nexus to level up some more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
matmanx1 said:
Haha, same guy who came into my world also although he didnt stay long. Just beat the tower knight and that was a really fun fight with all the extra guys you have to deal with. So far being a magic user has been a real bonus for the bosses although I've gotten close to dieing to a solo blue-eyed knight more than once so it definitely has its downsides as well. Woohoo back to the Nexus to level up some more.

Magic is definitely important in this game. Having a good melee weapon is great for breaking your way up to a boss, but there are a couple of bosses in the game that would be extremely difficult without a range attack.

I never really messed around with a bow and arrow, but do they ever get very powerful? The basic one I used was hitting for like 2 damage per arrow on Maneater.

Defuser

Zefah said:
Magic is definitely important in this game. Having a good melee weapon is great for breaking your way up to a boss, but there are a couple of bosses in the game that would be extremely difficult without a range attack.

I never really messed around with a bow and arrow, but do they ever get very powerful? The basic one I used was hitting for like 2 damage per arrow on Maneater.
If you ever have a white bow,make sure you get white arrows,toad arrows and heavy arrows.They do about 10 - 40 or even more damage depending on the enemies and your stats.

It all depends how you use it,it can use to lure single enemy out of the bunch for a fair fight e.g the 3 black phantoms at 1-4. Stand really far away from the vanguard,shoot arrows and the vanguard won't come after you. Helps alot in removing illusions of Fool's idol instead of taking the risk of going near them. And of the easiest way of taking out that reaper in 4-2 which alot of people do that to farm. I found plenty of uses for it and it's a must equipment for me to carry.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Defuser said:
If you ever have a white bow,make sure you get white arrows,toad arrows and heavy arrows.They do about 10 - 40 or even more damage depending on the enemies and your stats.

It all depends how you use it,it can use to lure single enemy out of the bunch for a fair fight e.g the 3 black phantoms at 1-4. Stand really far away from the vanguard,shoot arrows and the vanguard won't come after you. Helps alot in removing illusions of Fool's idol instead of taking the risk of going near them. And of the easiest way of taking out that reaper in 4-2 which alot of people do that to farm. I found plenty of uses for it and it's a must equipment for me to carry.

Other than extremely long range shots, it just seems magic is much better. Then again I bet a bow and arrow is a lot cheaper than stocking up on mana potions.

For the reaper in 4-2 I just use the fireball spell (the one you get for trading in the soul of the 3-3 boss into Sage Freke). It takes me 2 shots to kill him. I used that guy and the enemies on the ledge to farm at least 40 levels.

mujun

Zefah said:
Other than extremely long range shots, it just seems magic is much better. Then again I bet a bow and arrow is a lot cheaper than stocking up on mana potions.

For the reaper in 4-2 I just use the fireball spell (the one you get for trading in the soul of the 3-3 boss into Sage Freke). It takes me 2 shots to kill him. I used that guy and the enemies on the ledge to farm at least 40 levels.

i find the reverse to be true.

once i crafted the magic bow (not the white one) i had no trouble with pretty much any of the bosses getting by with either bow or my melee weapons.

magic on the other hand seems really weak. my noble character is at a standstill because he uses a rapier and it just doesnt cut it on 4-1. magic takes too long to come out and i cant get any better spells until i rescue the mage guy from 3-1 (again as a magic user the mind flayers are giving me lots of trouble).

ive tried to find a way to get my casting speed or power up but i am left with few options at the early point of the game im at.

im thinking about making a new melee focussed character and giving up on my magic user.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
mujun said:
i find the reverse to be true.

once i crafted the magic bow (not the white one) i had no trouble with pretty much any of the bosses getting by with either bow or my melee weapons.

magic on the other hand seems really weak. my noble character is at a standstill because he uses a rapier and it just doesnt cut it on 4-1. magic takes too long to come out and i cant get any better spells until i rescue the mage guy from 3-1 (again as a magic user the mind flayers are giving me lots of trouble).

ive tried to find a way to get my casting speed or power up but i am left with few options at the early point of the game im at.

im thinking about making a new melee focussed character and giving up on my magic user.

Definitely rescue Sage Freke as soon as possible. I would recommend getting the Soul Beam spell (I forgot the actual name) and Fire Ball because they do quite a bit of damage (both cost 20 mana, though). If you are hurting for mana equip the silver rod and the circlet which combined will give you an increase of over 100 mana. If you have the ring that increases your magic attack power while decreasing your magic defense you should equip that too. Also, holding the talisman of god in your other hand when casting increases the spell's potency. I have my base magic attack at around 3000 and my fireballs do something like 350 damage to most of the enemies in the 4th area. I farmed the first spectre in 4-2 using fireballs to gain a ton of levels.

Remember that you can move around while you in the middle of casting a spell so use that to your advantage. For example, hide behind a pillar and start casting a spell before you leave your cover.

I started as a Noble too, and while I am level 110 now and frequently melee, throughout my first playthrough I barely did anything but cast spells.

Defuser

Looks like the perfect guide is coming out on 2nd April. I hope there's translation for it so I can find out whats the use for the dragon souls.

mujun

just gotta reiterate that i love this game :)

got the soul arrow zefah, finished off 3-1 and 4-1 with some online help.

had a blast with random phantoms kicking bosses asses and came away with heaps of souls so now my noble is a little more dangerous.

gonna give blue phantoming a go tomorrow with my newgame+ character seems like it will be fun.

mujun

RavenFox said:
Yeah bow and arrow I found to be very vital for me in taking out opponents from afar. Upgrading your bow does wonders to.

yeah the lava bows fire effect acts like a sort of stun, very useful when farming reapers.

Defuser said:
Looks like the perfect guide is coming out on 2nd April. I hope there's translation for it so I can find out whats the use for the dragon souls.

I do too!

I updated the OT with this information a couple of days ago, I apologize if I didn't inform the thread.. I thought I did :)

matmanx1

Just beat the Armored Spider, woohoo! That whole section in Stonefang is really awesome looking and atmospheric. What's the deal with the crystal gecko's I see running around and dissapearing? I've seen messages on the ground relating to them so I'm assuming they drop something I'll need later but they seem like they will be a pain to catch.

My Noble is Soul Level 23 or so now and I'm still having alot of fun with him. I bought the flamethrower spell from the guy in the Nexus and it seems to be a little more powerful than the Soul Arrow spell (and of course looks really awesome to!). Great game!

Defuser

matmanx1 said:
Just beat the Armored Spider, woohoo! That whole section in Stonefang is really awesome looking and atmospheric. What's the deal with the crystal gecko's I see running around and dissapearing? I've seen messages on the ground relating to them so I'm assuming they drop something I'll need later but they seem like they will be a pain to catch.
They drop valuable ores that you will need to upgrade your weapons with.

Doctor_No

Defuser said:

I've pre-ordered the book. Looking forward to it.

As far the the souls you get for killing the red and blue dragon in Boleteria, you can get 10k souls and 30K souls for using it, but there is no known usage for those particular Dragon's souls. Same goes for the soul of the Old One (you can get 200,000 souls). Unless their use is so well hidden that no one's figured it out, at this point there doesn't seem to be a use other then getting generic souls.

Its been speculated that there will be DLC that will find specific uses for them, along with the broken sixth Archstone (the snow land or whatever). But that's just speculating.

Defuser said:
wtf,crystal geckos aren't respawning anymore at 2-2. How do I get them to respawn again?

They only respawn a set-limit of times. The best way to kill them is to first clear the general vicinity of enemies(you can use the bow&arrow to draw enemies out so as to not startle the gecko), then use either bow&arrow or magic to hit them from a distance. This will stun them temporarily before they can run away, then run up to them immediately and keep hitting them. If you like, you can equip the thief ring to adjust the optimal distance to shoot them.

Its also best to reposition yourself while hitting them to realign their trajectory to make sure they don't fall off cliffs, etc.

Most of the Crystal Geckos in the early parts of the stage don't drop anything incredibly rare; usually large or chunks on stones you can acquire elsewhere. The ones you have to be cautious of is the Crystal Geckos in the later parts of the areas, since they drop the Pure stones of some ore. The Seeker sword can assist in getting rarer stones from some geckos. For some upgrade paths this is the only way to get to +5 (and acquire the corresponding trophy).

Doctor_No

RavenFox said:
As always Doctor_No your information is invaluable. Also, where can I preorder this book?

Thanks. There's a link to Amazaon JP that INDIGO_CYCLOPS posted in the OP. Amazon Japan sends books worldwide if you're not in Japan. Remember, the book will still be in Japanese.

Here's some guides to ordering I just found on Google, not sure of their quality:
http://www.geocities.com/psgrisham/aj.html
http://www.sailordream.com/PGSM/Guides/AmazonJapan.php

I also think there is a way to make the menus in Amazon Japan into English:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1039606

RavenFox

Banned
Doctor_No said:
Thanks. There's a link to Amazaon JP that INDIGO_CYCLOPS posted in the OP. Amazon Japan sends books worldwide if you're not in Japan. Remember, the book will still be in Japanese.

Here's some guides to ordering I just found on Google, not sure of their quality:
http://www.geocities.com/psgrisham/aj.html
http://www.sailordream.com/PGSM/Guides/AmazonJapan.php

I also think there is a way to make the menus in Amazon Japan into English:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1039606
Sorry I should have checked the OP. Thanks for the links. Also all the way up stairs in the Nexus I saw the achievement hall of players. My god the armor and power of these players are beyond words.

edit: edited my post because it's already in the OP.

Plus rough translation
Contents introduction response of sufficiently data super obstacle RPG perfection complete gathering!! All the ordnance data which exceed 1600 types in the head, various data such as guard, item and area map perfection complete gathering!! The truth where the other side of the thick fog is hidden (the data) everything the [a] it starts coming, 1 volumes of fan drivelling finally appear. If [puresute] leave! [huami] it is the capture book of PS editorial staff responsible compilation!

Ok, my eyebrows just went up and damn I'm beyond curious now. Doctor_No?

rykomatsu

Thinking about getting this, but the PvP aspect kinda is putting me off (that and a huge car repair bill :/ ). Are you forced to be perpetually online or can you play offline as well? I might be misunderstanding a few things here, but from a few descriptions, it sounded like you need to be in an online environment after you die in order to get your physical form back or something?

&#25163;&#24540;&#12360;&#21313;&#20998;&#12539;&#36229;&#38627;&#38306;RPG&#12398;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#23436;&#20840;&#32178;&#32645;!!
1600&#31278;&#39006;&#12434;&#36229;&#12360;&#12427;&#20840;&#27494;&#22120;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#31558;&#38957;&#12395;&#12289;&#38450;&#20855;&#12289;&#12450;&#12452;&#12486;&#12512;&#12289;&#12456;&#12522;&#12450;&#12510;&#12483;&#12503;&#12394;&#12393;&#12289;&#21508;&#31278;&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;&#12434;&#23436;&#20840;&#32178;&#32645;!! &#28611;&#38695;&#12398;&#21521;&#12371;&#12358;&#12398;&#38560;&#12373;&#12428;&#12383;&#30495;&#23455;(&#12487;&#12540;&#12479;)&#12434;&#12377;&#12409;&#12390;&#12434;&#12354;&#12400;&#12365;&#12384;&#12377;&#12289;&#12501;&#12449;&#12531;&#22402;&#28046;&#12398;1&#20874;&#12364;&#12388;&#12356;&#12395;&#30331;&#22580;&#12377;&#12427;&#12382;&#12290;&#12503;&#12524;&#12473;&#12486;&#12394;&#12425;&#20219;&#12379;&#12429;!&#12394;&#12289;&#12501;&#12449;&#12511;&#36890;PS&#32232;&#38598;&#37096;&#36012;&#20219;&#32232;&#38598;&#12398;&#25915;&#30053;&#26412;&#12391;&#12377;!

Leading the way with over 1600 weapons, we've included all data from categories such as armor, items, and area maps. Here now is a volume for drooling fans that reveals all the truths (data) that his hidden behind the thick fog. Leave Playstation games to us! This is a guide that the Famitsu PS chief editor takes full responsibility for

or somewhere thereabouts

MickeyKnox said:
God I can't fucking stand the wait!

Hurry up you shit eating mailman.

Me either mine shipped on the 6th economy style and I have no idea when it will be here.
Any one on the west coast order this? Should it take this long?

rykomatsu

BruceLeeRoy said:
Me either mine shipped on the 6th economy style and I have no idea when it will be here.
Any one on the west coast order this? Should it take this long?

Where did you order from? Play-asia economy generally take 10~15 business days from what I've experienced.

RavenFox

Banned
rykomatsu said:
Thinking about getting this, but the PvP aspect kinda is putting me off (that and a huge car repair bill :/ ). Are you forced to be perpetually online or can you play offline as well? I might be misunderstanding a few things here, but from a few descriptions, it sounded like you need to be in an online environment after you die in order to get your physical form back or something?

Leading the way with over 1600 weapons, we've included all data from categories such as armor, items, and area maps. Here now is a volume for drooling fans that reveals all the truths (data) that his hidden behind the thick fog. Leave Playstation games to us! This is a guide that the Famitsu PS chief editor takes full responsibility for

or somewhere thereabouts
Ok I understand now. Its whats in the thick fog not an area beyond. Thank You Rykomatsu.
Also the magazine is about $16 + $3 for shipping plus $27 for International Shipping? Damn that's over $48 for the book. Anyone in Japan that can get me this mag?

garath

NCSX just posted another update:

NCSX said:
PS3 Demon's Souls Asian
A small batch of Demon's Souls (Asian) arrived today and we'll be able to fill some more preorders/backorders. Today's new batch is from the second Sony shipment released last week. There's a third Sony shipment that should be released in Hong Kong later in the week. If your order is being processed and shipped today, you'll receive a dispatch notification before 6PM EST.

I just checked and they are in NYC, paying extra for 3 day shipping was pretty worthless for me being in the north east. I assumed they were in CA or something. Oh well. Hope mine is one of the ones that goes out today. Even with all the games I have to play right now, I am going to be playing this one immediately upon receipt. :D

This information has been up for a few days, I'm surprised it's just starting up in the thread now, hehe :) And Raven_Fox, all the information is in the OP already so don't worry :D

I really wish an English version would come; there's going to be a lot of great info in it - it's a good sign when a niche game like this gets a strategy guide, whatever the language. I'm sure all the GAF'ers who can will translate the pertinent information :D

garath said:
NCSX just posted another update:

I just checked and they are in NYC, paying extra for 3 day shipping was pretty worthless for me being in the north east. I assumed they were in CA or something. Oh well. Hope mine is one of the ones that goes out today. Even with all the games I have to play right now, I am going to be playing this one immediately upon receipt. :D

Yea, it was a good thing for me - they shipped relatively quick and I got it the next day. I'm in NY though, about 4 hours from the city.

Doctor_No

rykomatsu said:

You can play in offline mode. If you're not signed into your PSN ID when you start up the game, you can choose to play in offline mode. You can also regain your physical form by killing a demon or by use of an item. Online is another option to regain your physical body but not required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom