• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheChillyAcademic said:
So do you think its worth waiting for this to ever be released in the western world...or just import the Japanese (Asian?) version?
Import it. It would need a retranslation if they want to sell it in the west and I doubt they'll do it anytime soon, if ever. Make sure you get the Asian version if you want English text in it.

mujun

TheChillyAcademic said:
So do you think its worth waiting for this to ever be released in the western world...or just import the Japanese (Asian?) version?

if i were a game reviewer i would give this game a 10.

add to that that there is no indication that this will come out in the west atm and the asian version is completely in english.

my point, import!

mujun

TheChillyAcademic said:
Perfect!

Thanks Guys!

please return a signed copy of the waiver i just sent you that is a legal statement of your agreement that you will not, in the event you do not like the game as much as i think you will come into this thread calling me a dick and wishing you could get your money back ;)

p.s a simple statement of intention to blame someone besides me will also suffice.

Game has just been ordered and should be arriving soonish! I've been following this thread for a while and my interest has been steadily rising. I thought I'd hold out to see if Sony would release the game in the rest of the world...I cant wait lol

Victrix

*beard*
Someone on the SA forum posted that the Korean version was in full english - he ordered the Asian version, got sent the Korean version, was angry, tried it... and it was the same english. He posted a few pictures of the case, it looked like the Korean version. If that's true, it would make importing this a bit easier, but I obviously can't confirm that firsthand, and I don't remember his username offhand.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm too tired to parse this, but here's my (completely fucking failed) attempts to get Valley to pure white. If you've done any tendency experiments, feel free to share.

Here's the (outdated) info from the wiki: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Some test results post-patch - it seems that it is possible that going to the Nexus causes a shift towards Neutral for all worlds. We need more testing to determine how this is working.

Started a fresh loaded game, all worlds were Neutral.

Died 5x in Valley 5-1 using Ephemeral Eyes to resurrect, but went back to Nexus a few times to check tendency - possibly caused the increased number of deaths to get it to full black? Region went to full Black.

Went into 5-1 and STAYED in the Valley clearing out Black Phantoms in 5-1 and 5-2, as well as the Primeval Demon. Returned to Nexus. Valley was Neutral, not White.

Attempted to coop in 5-3, dropping coop stone in front of 5-3 and 5-4 bosses. Killed them a combined total of 6 times, suiciding after each revive in Storms (went black after 3), then Tower (black after 3), then Stonefang (one death, partial black). After each coop kill, returned to Nexus to check tendency - Valley stayed Neutral. ALSO: Character was reviving in Storms/Tower due to dying there as a body, possible this affected the world shift in Valley?

Frustrated with the lack of progress in Valley, with Stonefang still partial black and Tower/Storms full black, left Valley, went to Tower 3-1 to kill BP Rydell. Arrived and found... Blue Rydell. Checked World Tendency map - Stonefang was neutral, Tower was one off full black, Storms was still full black. Possible that leaving Valley caused Neutral shift?

Quit the game WHILE in Tower, reloaded, checked tendency - all worlds showed the same as before. Died in Tower to a BP Squid, left for Nexus - all worlds showed Neutral. Appears that the world status is saved IF you're IN a world after a quit, but it resets to Neutral from the quit as soon as you leave that world.

mujun

Victrix said:
I'm too tired to parse this, but here's my (completely fucking failed) attempts to get Valley to pure white. If you've done any tendency experiments, feel free to share.

Here's the (outdated) info from the wiki: http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/world-tendency

Some test results post-patch - it seems that it is possible that going to the Nexus causes a shift towards Neutral for all worlds. We need more testing to determine how this is working.

Died 5x in Valley 5-1 using Ephemeral Eyes to resurrect, but went back to Nexus a few times to check tendency - possibly caused the increased number of deaths to get it to full black? Region went to full Black.

Went into 5-1 and STAYED in the Valley clearing out Black Phantoms in 5-1 and 5-2, as well as the Primeval Demon. Returned to Nexus. Valley was Neutral, not White.

Attempted to coop in 5-3, dropping coop stone in front of 5-3 and 5-4 bosses. Killed them a combined total of 6 times, suiciding after each revive in Storms (went black after 3), then Tower (black after 3), then Stonefang (one death, partial black). After each coop kill, returned to Nexus to check tendency - Valley stayed Neutral. ALSO: Character was reviving in Storms/Tower due to dying there as a body, possible this affected the world shift in Valley?

Frustrated with the lack of progress in Valley, with Stonefang still partial black and Tower/Storms full black, left Valley, went to Tower 3-1 to kill BP Rydell. Arrived and found... Blue Rydell. Checked World Tendency map - Stonefang was neutral, Tower was one off full black, Storms was still full black. Possible that leaving Valley caused Neutral shift?

Quit the game WHILE in Tower, reloaded, checked tendency - all worlds showed the same as before. Died in Tower to a BP Squid, left for Nexus - all worlds showed Neutral. Appears that the world status is saved IF you're IN a world after a quit, but it resets to Neutral from the quit as soon as you leave that world.

in laymens terms... busted?

PuMa

TheChillyAcademic said:
Or rather I would....seems to be sold out everywhere =/ PlayAsia is out and YesAsia is saying it'll ship within 30 days...any ideas? >.<

NCSX seems to get pretty regular stock replenishments. That may be your best bet.

JudgeN

makingmusic476 said:
I'm waiting (never imported anything in my life), but I'll break down if nothing is announced by E3.

Importing is no different from buying anything else online, you have nothing to worry about DO IT :D

eXistor

Victrix said:
I'm too tired to parse this, but here's my (completely fucking failed) attempts to get Valley to pure white. If you've done any tendency experiments, feel free to share
I love the game to death, but the whole World Tendency bit is really badly implemented imo. It's too vague and for offline players you're basically screwed (though that should, be somewhat fixed now).

garath

TheChillyAcademic said:
Or rather I would....seems to be sold out everywhere =/ PlayAsia is out and YesAsia is saying it'll ship within 30 days...any ideas? >.<

If you are in the US, NCSX gets weekly shipments and ships from NYC. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and it's out for delivery today. Another guy in this thread ordered his Friday and it's out for delivery today as well. Order it now and they'll ship it out next week when they get the next shipment.

RavenFox

Banned
StateofMind said:
Took out a few bosses and got my Lava Bow tonight. This game just keeps getting better.

Now if I could find some leeches for suckerstones...
Valley of Defilement. That place is fucking disgusting lol
You will never find a more wretched place of scum and villainy.

Victrix said:

So basically, it's a fucking swift dicking to get pure white? Hmm..this makes things convoluted when trying to shift tendency. It seems that the devs wanted to encourage world tendency shifting via co-op; its difficult to do this with the time differences. I've noticed that defeating bosses/areas as a blue phantom used to change that persons world tendency, is this still the case?

What we really need is a straight up press release/release notes detailing what they changed...

Anymore observations would be excellent to compare experiences so we can get a hold on this situation!

Victrix said:
If you don't like this game, you're a broken soulless husk anyway, you can't apologize to such wretches
hehe, so true I can't stand it!

Defuser

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
So basically, it's a fucking swift dicking to get pure white? Hmm..this makes things convoluted when trying to shift tendency. It seems that the devs wanted to encourage world tendency shifting via co-op; its difficult to do this with the time differences. I've noticed that defeating bosses/areas as a blue phantom used to change that persons world tendency, is this still the case?

What we really need is a straight up press release/release notes detailing what they changed...

Anymore observations would be excellent to compare experiences so we can get a hold on this situation!

hehe, so true I can't stand it!
It's really flawed,If they gonna emphasized coop online,it's sucks to be those whose soul level is super high.This reminds me,what the range limit of Soul level in order to coop now,did they increase the difference level to be higher than 10?

Defuser said:
It's really flawed,If they gonna emphasized coop online,it's sucks to be those whose soul level is super high.This reminds me,what the range limit of Soul level in order to coop now,did they increase the difference level to be higher than 10?

Some think it was only shifted +/- 20 but I don't know for certain what it is...I am curious about this too. On a much stranger note, I've heard +/- 100 after SL 100, but in testing this it didn't work out that way.

RavenFox

Banned
All I know is that when I look at the world map my chest is glowing white. Don't understand much about this stuff yet. Human form by the way

Flib

garath said:
If you are in the US, NCSX gets weekly shipments and ships from NYC. I ordered mine a couple weeks ago and it's out for delivery today. Another guy in this thread ordered his Friday and it's out for delivery today as well. Order it now and they'll ship it out next week when they get the next shipment.

They are shipping a new batch tonight it seems, and they will have enough to ship even if you order it today or tomorrow (I'm the guy who ordered on friday, and ups is saying it's out for delivery right now).

Defuser

RavenFox said:
All I know is that when I look at the world map my chest is glowing white. Don't understand much about this stuff yet. Human form by the way
It's mean your character tendency is white. If your character tendency is black,you will unlock a side quest which involves Yurt and Mephistopheles. Not to mention if your friend uses Rage of God,you will get hurt by it since you're 'evil'. Not sure how accurate is it.

Woohoo, Ebay order arrived at the local post office unit. Should be able to start it tonight. I've basically saved off a bunch of posts to use as my n00b guide into hell.

Victrix

*beard*
I'm not even sure how you're supposed to get pure white now. Before the patch, white was easy, black was a slow boring slog. Now post patch, black is easy, and I don't even know how to get white.

It may be that each time you go back to the Nexus (maybe in soul form, maybe alive), it shifts the worlds towards neutral by a step. That would mean that each time I left after a successful coop boss kill, I was resetting any progress I had made. That would also explain the shift after I left the Valley to go to 3-1 and found it had dropped one notch off of full black.

What's really horrible about this is that a) World tendency resets when you quit, so you have to do all this idiocy each time you reload your game and sit down to play and b) Seemingly (Though it didn't work for me) the only viable method of getting White world is to coop, which requires playing with a playerbase 12+ hours off your timezone.

Even when I was playing late last night during their evening time, it still took me a looooooooong time to get 6x coop games in 5-3, which no one likes to play in.

Not really thrilled about this :p I'm hoping they patch this again. I'll test the coop stuff again later (maybe try doing 2-4x coop kills in one session before leaving for the Nexus), but as it is now, I just don't see how you could get each world to white to do their events without pulling your hair out. Black is quick, but it costs Ephemeral Eye stones, and their only source is rare drops, or a vendor in 5-1/2 that sells them for 20k souls...

garath said:

PuMa said:
NCSX seems to get pretty regular stock replenishments. That may be your best bet.

Thanks for your help!

Looks like they are getting a new shipment in, today in fact, so I placed my order and hopefully it'll get shipped with this batch. Hella expensive though, $48.73 for next day air? OUCH.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I went on a boss murdering rampage last night and killed the 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2 and 5-3 bosses. I just need to storm 1-4 and I will have completed one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of my life... well... until I start New Game+ anyway.:D I'm level 99, so I should be sitting pretty when I start a new game.

garath

TheChillyAcademic said:
Thanks for your help!

Looks like they are getting a new shipment in, today in fact, so I placed my order and hopefully it'll get shipped with this batch. Hella expensive though, $48.73 for next day air? OUCH.

Ouch. Remember they ship from NYC, I'm in the northeast and I got it next day for the cost of ground. I think it was $6 and I have a friend who wanted the game too so we got 2 copies in the same order and split the shipping. Barely over the cost of a normal game with tax if I walked into Gamestop.

garath said:
Ouch. Remember they ship from NYC, I'm in the northeast and I got it next day for the cost of ground. I think it was $6 and I have a friend who wanted the game too so we got 2 copies in the same order and split the shipping. Barely over the cost of a normal game with tax if I walked into Gamestop.

And Im in Los Angeles, generally shipping here is cheap because of my proximity to Asia...not the case here ; ;

RavenFox

Banned
Captain Pants said:
I went on a boss murdering rampage last night and killed the 4-2, 4-3, 3-2, 3-3, 5-2 and 5-3 bosses. I just need to storm 1-4 and I will have completed one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences of my life... well... until I start New Game+ anyway.:D I'm level 99, so I should be sitting pretty when I start a new game.
Did you enjoy using Storm Ruler:D

PuMa

Its finally arrived! I'm stoked to play, but I'm not quite decided on what class I want to be. Any suggestions from the veterans in this thread? I generally like playing ranged/stealth classes so I was thinking about either the Thief, Wanderer or Hunter. Would anyone recommend one over the others? Any major plus/minus to any of them?

Thanks!

matmanx1

If you are considering importing this game I would advise you strongly to take the plunge. It's the best gaming experience I've had in a long time and one of the best action rpg's I've ever played. The enemies are scary and awesome, the level design is top notch and the combat system works very, very well.

No, it isnt perfect and I dont want to venture off into hyperbole land but if you enjoy action RPG's and aren't afraid of a challenge then you would probably enjoy Demon's Souls.

Paracelsus

._.

Hey people, a question:

Don't they really expect me to make it through the first dungeon as a soul, do they? I'm a priest, and I can barely make it to the couple of "super soldiers", the one with the blue flame thing in the face and the one with the red flame. I just gather as many souls as I can then I run back.

Brannon

Hey, so if I wear two Rings of Avarice, will that get me more souls than just one ring? This is the most important question in the world, because I'm about to spend money on the ring after finding it...

Brannon

PuMa said:
Its finally arrived! I'm stoked to play, but I'm not quite decided on what class I want to be. Any suggestions from the veterans in this thread? I generally like playing ranged/stealth classes so I was thinking about either the Thief, Wanderer or Hunter. Would anyone recommend one over the others? Any major plus/minus to any of them?

Thanks!

They differ in stats and beginning items; with dedication you can turn your guy into anything you want.

I picked Wanderer, and currently use an upgraded falchion and an upgraded short bow for range attacks. In a moment I'm going to dedicate my souls to a couple of weapons and key stats and really go all out. No regrets!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PuMa said:

Thanks!

Remember these initial choices do not decide you "class" because there isn't any such thing in this game. All the initial choices decide is what your starting statistics, soul level and equipment will be. A good rule of thumb is that if your choice starts you with a higher level then you will probably have worse equipment. For example the background that starts with the highest level has no armor.

You will be heavily customizing your character's stats and equipment as you go along, so don't worry too much about your initial choice. If you want to be a caster then you should probably start as a Noble, though. They start out with a mana regeneration ring that will help you immensely throughout the earlier parts of the game when mana recovery items are still extremely hard to come by.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Brannon said:
Hey, so if I wear two Rings of Avarice, will that get me more souls than just one ring? This is the most important question in the world, because I'm about to spend money on the ring after finding it...

Don't do it. You cannot wear two of the same ring.

mujun

Paracelsus said:

._.

Hey people, a question:

Don't they really expect me to make it through the first dungeon as a soul, do they? I'm a priest, and I can barely make it to the couple of "super soldiers", the one with the blue flame thing in the face and the one with the red flame. I just gather as many souls as I can then I run back.

yes they do. youll get a ring that helps though (gives you +25% more of your total bar when a soul). also you dont need to fight the red one, it is way too strong at the point you are at. once youve learned the monsters attack patterns you should be able to avoid taking much damage.

RavenFox

Banned
StateofMind said:
Can anyone tell me exactly how "Bleed" works? Is it just added damage?
Yes hit point damage continue after striking. Flesh enemies suffer from its blow. Armored enemies no effect.
The Kilij blade does this.

Anyone have any clue on how many units the Jpn/Asian/Korean versions have sold in total since release? The only time I heard about it's sales was the opening week in Japan. I don't think my copy from P-A will ever ship (back ordered of course).

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I have put the Old Beast back to sleep.:D What a wonderful game! I don't know if I'm ready to start New Game+ just yet, but I am excited to check it out.

Found this:

-3 being pure black, 0 being neutral and 3 being pure white:

WHITE
Kill a boss with your body (+1)
Kill a boss in soul form (+0.5)
Additional blue phantom ally when killing boss(+0.5 ea) << needs clarification
Kill a black phantom (+0.5) << needs clarification
Killing a primeval demon (+3) << Since they only appear during -3, it brings you back to neutral
Killing unique black phantoms that don't respawn (+?)

BLACK
Summoned blue phantoms dying in the course of action (-0.5 ea) << !! needs clarification
Killing a living person as a black phantom (-0.5) << needs clarification
Dying in a body (-1)

Only played 45 mins tonight due to life getting in the way, but I enjoyed every moment of it.

Until that bastard tutorial boss sat on me :(

So based on what I read here, I shouldn't worry about my body. Is there no way back into the tutorial?

Otherwise I guess I'll start 1-1.

Defuser

Captain Pants said:
lol... Elaborate. Is there some hidden something I'm not aware of?
Newgame+, more difficult than ever but enemies give more souls.

g35twinturbo said:
I really want to play this but I'm kinda scared from all this talk you guys are talking about :(

someone hold me.
Everybody is once a newb,starting at first getting their ass kicked but after grinding and leveling up their stats,not to mention trial & error,increased observation,they become badass asskickers instilling fear into their enemies. If you're still too scared,you can always coop with other players. There's plenty of gaffers here who can help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom