• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canova

Banned
Lumine said:
Hehe thanks guys, was indeed once again not as bad as I thought. Route back to the boss was a lot shorter and I took him down on my third attempt. And no, I didn't cheat by buying lots of arrows/bolts. :) Would've probably taken longer to grind that anyway. :p

So where do I go from here? 3-1? :)

yes 3-1 is pretty easy

ZeroRay

So I just Platinumed this game.

157kqwl.jpg

2gv7bde.jpg

2u4snjs.jpg

I'd do unspeakable things for a sequel announcement at TGS.

Trevelyon

What the flaming fudge! Killed Ostrava in 1-1 in preparation for Mephistopheles quest and she doesn't acknowledge he's dead, I still need to kill him, I think his bp is all that's left in 1-4.

Trevelyon said:
What the flaming fudge! Killed Ostrava in 1-1 in preparation for Mephistopheles quest and she doesn't acknowledge he's dead, I still need to kill him, I think his bp is all that's left in 1-4.

This is my second try getting that blasted foes ring, I'm totally over it now. If someone has it, I just need to hold it for the plat, ideally I'm hoping for good samaritan, but I'll be willing to drop 5-10 bucks via pay pal or a steam game at a equivalent value.

Soul level: 176 (remember you need to be within 15 lvls)
Asian/Chinese ver. (Asian servers I guess)

(pm if interested, I'll be around for the next few hours)

The fuck dude? oO Just sprint towards a new NG+. You can finish the game in like 4 hours.

Trevelyon

Got the freakin' mausoleum key for fuck sake, you can only get it from either killing him or watching him suicide at the end 1-4, which I haven't gotten to in this play through.

This is some bullshit.

Trevelyon said:
No, no, no HELL no. I'm NG+++ I'm done with this shit, no more.

What's one more then? :p I'm taking a breaking after doing NG++++ but I'll definitely be back for more soon.

Anyway, if you killed him before you got the quest from Trevelyon then that was most likely the problem.

I don't mind giving you the ring if you're on EU servers though.

Trevelyon

Metalmurphy said:
What's one more?

Dude! I'm moving on now, can't be swayed on the matter.:lol

Anyway, if you killed him before you got the quest from Trevelyon then that was most likely the problem.

Killed Patches by accident before the quest began and she acknowledged him as dead, so idk about that.

Smack Fu

I have now Tri-Platted this. Very few games I take the time to even get 100% trophies or achievements, this one I did 3 times (NA, Asian, UK). Greatest game ever!!!!! And I really don't like the PS3 except for this. This is THE reason to own a PS3. If it wasn't for this game, I would of sold my PS3 awhile back.
Please, PLEASE make a sequel or another Kings Field.

Kuran

Banned
Smack Fu said:
I have now Tri-Platted this. Very few games I take the time to even get 100% trophies or achievements, this one I did 3 times (NA, Asian, UK). Greatest game ever!!!!! And I really don't like the PS3 except for this. This is THE reason to own a PS3. If it wasn't for this game, I would of sold my PS3 awhile back.

This, and the Siren series.

Trevelyon

Smack Fu said:

Still got the Asian ver by chance? :D

Smack Fu

Yes I got the asian version, that one I used the soul glitch though. So I'm SL 712 or I would help you out. (saw your earlier post)
NA version I'm SL 193ish
UK version I'm SL 215, would be less but spent 2 days farming the Pure Bladestone so got a lot of levels doing that.

Calcaneus

So I bought this game yesterday, but only really started playing today. Took a while to beat 1-1 ( I died about three times, two from enemies, one because of a careless mistake), but man this is a very cool game.

A few questions though :

1. About those two dragons near the end of the level, I can go back to them at any time right? I know there are some cool items where they are but I kinda let them be because I wasn't interested in dying again just yet.

2. Does it not matter what order I go in as far as levels go, or is there a set order I should take if I don't want to go anywhere I'm not ready for? I don't know if this really applies to where I'm at now, though.

Kuran

Banned
Calcaneus said:
So I bought this game yesterday, but only really started playing today. Took a while to beat 1-1 ( I died about three times, two from enemies, one because of a careless mistake), but man this is a very cool game.

A few questions though :

1. About those two dragons near the end of the level, I can go back to them at any time right? I know there are some cool items where they are but I kinda let them be because I wasn't interested in dying again just yet.

2. Does it not matter what order I go in as far as levels go, or is there a set order I should take if I don't want to go anywhere I'm not ready for? I don't know if this really applies to where I'm at now, though.

Yes you can go back.
There is no real set order, although Gamefaqs will probably tell you otherwise. You will probably get the feel of which level is doable for your character. Just be careful, play it safe, take your time, enjoy yourself.

Greyvvolf

ProudClod said:
I remember all the hype this game got back when it came out. Is it still worth buying?
It is definitely worth buying. I started playing this game about a month ago, since then I've put in around 60 hours. This is the only game where I actually started a NG+ right after I finished it.

Also, don't be intimidated by the difficulty of the game. Yes, it can be tough, but don't let that stop you from playing it.

Smack Fu

1) Yes, there is a area in 1-2 where you can shoot at one of the dragons if you have enough arrows (around 100+). Or if you have pure white tendency for that lvl they both will be gone. But you can go back anytime and get them.

2) Does not matter what order you go, I have beat this game 16+ times and go a different order each time. But general consensus is you want to get 2-1 and 2-2 done fast as that opens up the Blacksmith in 2-1 where you can really upgrade your weapons. But, will tell you the 2-2 boss is probably the hardest boss for the first timer.

Calcaneus

Thanks for the answers, I guess I'll try 2-1 tommorow. I'll probably go back to the dragons when I'm a bit stronger (and better at the game).

jyx said:
1-4 left. What is the best armor set for a magic user (high magic, low strenght). Anybody?

There isn't really a best armor. I rely on dodges and rolls so I consider light armors the best : miralda for female & old king doran for male.

Lumine

So I beat 3-1. It did feel a lot easier, though those 1hit kills from the ocotopus heads are nasty. :lol So is that wierd blob. Beat the
doll
boss in 1 try though. :)

Anyway, 4-1 seems a lot harder. It's the
prologue
boss, but I haven't been able to beat him yet. Though I have the feeling I might not supposed to yet because he doesn't move away from his spot at all. Any truth to this? :p
edit: nevermind, kill him anyway. :p

I've been experimenting with some different equipment layouts. Trading in my soldier armour for the assassin stuff made me suddenly able to roll properly. :O So I changed my quality broadsword +2 and kite shield +2 for a falchion and scimitar and it's a lot of fun. Kind of scared I'm really vulnerable this way though, can't even block. :p Not sure if my stats are right for it either. I kinda spent them evenly among vitality, endurance, strength and dexterity. Anyone got any tips for me on this? I've been reading the wiki and other internet guides but they're honestly not helping me much. I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out how things work and what the trade-off is to some of these options. :(

kai3345

Banned
I still couldn't beat Tower Knight even with another player helping me. Maybe I should go to another level and get better shit. Which one should I go to next?

roxya

kai3345 said:
I still couldn't beat Tower Knight even with another player helping me. Maybe I should go to another level and get better shit. Which one should I go to next?

What type of character/build are you? With a not-awful weapon, Tower Knight shouldn't take long to knock down. Should only take 2-3 knockdowns and some massive damage to his head.

Brannon

Right then, after a Nier detour and a save-corruption hiatus, it's time to do this again (my save :mad:), so I'm going to take out all my impotent rage on the first fat demon I see.

MY SAVE :mad:

Smack Fu

I've been experimenting with some different equipment layouts. Trading in my soldier armour for the assassin stuff made me suddenly able to roll properly. :O So I changed my quality broadsword +2 and kite shield +2 for a falchion and scimitar and it's a lot of fun. Kind of scared I'm really vulnerable this way though, can't even block. :p Not sure if my stats are right for it either. I kinda spent them evenly among vitality, endurance, strength and dexterity. Anyone got any tips for me on this? I've been reading the wiki and other internet guides but they're honestly not helping me much. I'm still having a hard time trying to figure out how things work and what the trade-off is to some of these options. :(

If your going Dex and Str, I would go for the standard +10 hardstone or sharpstone or +5 Clearstone, Bladestone or Crushing.
It is good to have 2 or 3 weapons on hand, some weapons are better for certain enemies. But you will find a weapon that fits your style soon enough. Whats so great about this game is that every weapon 'feels' different.
I tend to use the Blueblood sword and the Meatcleaver for certain enemies.
But no matter what build you use, you want a shield in your offhand until your very familar with the game.
You are right going in light armor, I hate the heavy armor. Can't roll and it is bad for your stamina. A good shield and rolling will compensate for that.

Calcaneus

Man, I'm getting a feeling out of this game that I didn't get in a long time. My mind kept going back to it today when I wasn't playing it. Played for nearly three hours today. Compare that to the last game I beat, which while great I never felt like playing more than a hour at a time.

Beat 1-2, and am near the boss of 2-1. Probably won't have much time to devote to it tomorrow, but I can't wait.

Articate

Banned
Brannon said:
Right then, after a Nier detour and a save-corruption hiatus, it's time to do this again (my save :mad:), so I'm going to take out all my impotent rage on the first fat demon I see.

MY SAVE :mad:

Turning off the game to avoid dying, eh? Deserves it.

Lumine said:

Equiping only to half your equip-weight will make you able to run faster and roll properly.

For PvM with a 'quick' weapon such as the fachion or a katana, I would recommend a shield. For PvP, two-hand. Well, the last's up to you, but shield for PvM is a life-saver.

Lumine

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm guessing PvM is the same thing as PvE? :p

I'm wearing a sharp uchitagana +2 and a kite shield +3 with a couple of pieces of saint armour that I found in early 5-1. Gives a little more defence than the black assasin armour but still lets me roll properly. Finally beat the boss in 4-1, he was quite tough as melee. Though those golden skeletons with the huge swords and especially those dual wielding katana ones were much worse. They still kick my ass. I'm thinking of going 1-2 next. I already visited the 2 places that were left over in 1-1. One has those 2 dragons that keep breathing over a few scattered items which I grabbed and the other has the spear skeleton guy infront of a still closed door. I guess the key for that is in 1-2 or even later?

This game is much more addictive than I expected. :O

oracrest

Just like the first time. I die and die and die and die on the Tower Knight, then pop it one time, and run straight through and defeat him on my first try.

:D

He was pretty hard. Mostly I died from his one hit kills.
I forget that getting close to him opens up the easier strategy for melee combat

Lumine

Took care of 5-1 and 2-1, but damnit this black phantom crap is starting to piss me off. One guy invades me and seems to be helping me out instead of fighting me. So I went on ahead as he kills lots of mobs with me. Then all of a sudden he stabs me in the back and kills me. :(

edit: can't seem to find my way through 2-2, I think I've looked everywhere several times, but I guess not as I'm stuck. Anyone got any clues for me? :)

Guevara

Well after reading all the great reviews and seeing how much fun everyone in this thread seems to be having, I picked up Demon's Souls. For a person that doesn't play many games of this type, what would the a good overview for how I should approach it? I hate finding out hours into a game that I picked the wrong class, missed obvious strategies, etc.

Melfice7

Lumine said:
Took care of 5-1 and 2-1, but damnit this black phantom crap is starting to piss me off. One guy invades me and seems to be helping me out instead of fighting me. So I went on ahead as he kills lots of mobs with me. Then all of a sudden he stabs me in the back and kills me. :(

edit: can't seem to find my way through 2-2, I think I've looked everywhere several times, but I guess not as I'm stuck. Anyone got any clues for me? :)

how can you trust a black phantom man

Melfice7

Guevara said:
Well after reading all the great reviews and seeing how much fun everyone in this thread seems to be having, I picked up Demon's Souls. For a person that doesn't play many games of this type, what would the a good overview for how I should approach it? I hate finding out hours into a game that I picked the wrong class, missed obvious strategies, etc.

class only matters for the initial stats and gear, you can evolve any class into whatever you want, if you like melee i recommend soldier

and you gotta be patient and observant with this game, you cant go around rushing trying to hack n slash everything :3

Lumine

Beat flamelurker. Wow 2-2 was a crappy level, I hope it only goes up from here, never want to go back there again. :p

I traded the red hot demons soul to blacksmith ed, but I can't seem to trade the other ones or rather I'm not getting how this works. I thought I was getting lots of cool weapons now. :(

Lumine said:
Beat flamelurker. Wow 2-2 was a crappy level, I hope it only goes up from here, never want to go back there again. :p

I traded the red hot demons soul to blacksmith ed, but I can't seem to trade the other ones or rather I'm not getting how this works. I thought I was getting lots of cool weapons now. :(

Giving him the Red Hot Demon soul means you'll be able to use special upgrade stones to weapons now. Like Sharpstones, Moonstones, Suckerstones etc... However, before you can start using them the weapon must usually be upgraded to some level, normally +3.

Everything you need to know is here:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/upgrade

To forge the special weapons with Demon Souls you'll need a corresponding base weapon:
http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/trophy-weapons#toc1

Melfice7 said:
how can you trust a black phantom man

yeah you should NEVER trust them. i sometimes help to clear a level as a black phantom, but there's always that temptation :p and on some rare occasions i just can't help myself, backstabbing the poor player who trusted me right before the boss fog. mwahahahah.

JonnyAvacado

Neo Member
Lumine said:

You have to be upgrading with certain souls and weapons. After you give the Red Hot Demons Soul to Ed he can then build uber weapons. An example is once you get the Pureblood Soul you can take a broken sword to Ed and he can make you a Blueblood sword.

Everyone that is directing people to the Demons souls wiki is doing the right thing. It could be the greatest wiki for a game I have ever seen. So much useful info there...Have any questions? The wiki will answer them, and in great detail!

Lumine

Ahh I get it. Thanks guys. :)

One more question though, I'm currently wielding a sharp uchigatana +2 but have more strength than dexterity so upgrading to sharp might not have been the best idea. A quality uchigatana might've been better, if that's even possible to make, but I don't see any other crafting options anymore other than sharp +3. Do I need to go to sharp +3 first to see the other options or do I need to use a meltstone to turn it back into a plain uchigatana for the other upgrade options? :)

Tarin02543

I'm a knight and i've been updating my Long Sword and Kite shield to +6, nothing can touch me! All crap that I have looted like axes and katana I've just ditched with stockpile thomas.

Brannon

Articate said:
Turning off the game to avoid dying, eh? Deserves it.

I would deserve it if I did that, but the game got stuck at a loading screen when I tried to use the Nexus ring, and before that it was chugging at 5-10 fps for some reason. It doesn't matter anymore, though, I'm already halfway back to my previous status.

Lumine said:
Ahh I get it. Thanks guys. :)

One more question though, I'm currently wielding a sharp uchigatana +2 but have more strength than dexterity so upgrading to sharp might not have been the best idea. A quality uchigatana might've been better, if that's even possible to make, but I don't see any other crafting options anymore other than sharp +3. Do I need to go to sharp +3 first to see the other options or do I need to use a meltstone to turn it back into a plain uchigatana for the other upgrade options? :)

Sharp is already a "special" upgrade from Bladestones upgrade so yeah, you'll have to use a meltstone and upgrade it with normal Sharpstones.

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/uchigatana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom