• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Requeim

Shit, i'm about to pop in my EU version and start a new character, as my US version is filled

Hopefully this wont have too big an effect on school :/

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Coldsnap said:
so i just beat phalanx, when can i spend my souls?

Talk to the Maiden in Black, she's the lady in the Nexus (hub) holding the long cane.

Also, since you'll probably get lost (we all do), she'll tell you to speak to someone named The Monumental. It's a little bald kid on a balcony a few floors up, there is a little candle on the ground in front of him/her (not sure).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Coldsnap said:
"... so the world might be mended"

Om3ga

Coldsnap said:
After returning to the nexus and accepting or declining (doesn't really matter) the task from the Monumental. You then talk to the woman in the black dress.

Also don't forget (I didn't find out until 10 hours into the game). You can purchase magic and miracles at this time too if your faith or magic is high enough (10 faith for miracles, 10 magic for magic).

Yoshichan said:
"... so the world might be mended"
"so that the world might be mended"

I'll hear that crazy girl in my head forever after DS. I still need to grab an EU copy and triple my platty bling, but I've been busy and I already know what kin dof time it takes. Hopefully I'll be a bit faster this time.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Coldsnap said:
Cool. I just summoned a phantom in the dragon level and he ran off and killed a bunch of stuff, what is going on? :lol
:lol :lol :lol

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Okay, I rented this a while back, beat the first level and had to return it. I played as the magician. I just bought it on amazon and want to start over. Which class should I pick for minimal frustration?

Yoshichan

alr1ghtstart said:
Okay, I rented this a while back, beat the first level and had to return it. I played as the magician. I just bought it on amazon and want to start over. Which class should I pick for minimal frustration?
Royal.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
alr1ghtstart said:

Royal class will make starting out a little easier since he comes with a ranged spell attach and an MP regen ring, but once you hit a certain point in the game your starting class doesn't really matter. They're like a template.

Calcaneus

So, I've been sick with a cold for the past few days, and its been impossible for me to focus while playing this. I'm so uncomfortable and tired that I'm not getting anywhere, every level I try is basically a dead end. Think I'm gonna have to put this away for a few more days.

Question, when and where to you exactly start getting more spells?

Requeim said:
i was wondering, how would you guys rank the worlds in the game?

for me:

1 = 4 > 2 = 3 > 5

this doesn't mean that 5 is bad in any way, but i feel it's the weakest by far. 5-2 is really the only level in the game that i don't like.

Shrine of storms is amazing
for me after 20+ playthroughs: 1 > 5 > 4 = 2 > 3

Tower of Latria IS awesome as hell (Old Monk, Singing Lady, Arrow Jesus and all), but for me 2-2 ended up being the favorite level to play through again and again and again, so i have to place world 2 ahead of 3, even though rest of Stonefang are my least favorite..

Coldsnap said:
What happens if I quit during a level, do i load back up at the nexus?
If I remember correctly you'll pick up right where you left off in the level. The fame is always auto saving. However if you return to the archstone sword youll go back to the Nexus. Also you can get a special miracle spell which let's return to the Nexus. Very god-damned useful

Om3ga

I started following a build guide then decided to go on my own. Use them as a template just so you know what stats not to put points in and which weapons to shoot for. You could follow them exactly, but it takes the fun out of it.

oracrest

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
While we're speaking of favorite levels, mine is most definitely 3-1. God that level tortured me; when I first began playing it I had an impossible time progressing because I was underpowered, and had no idea what was in store for me. The fear was just indescribable.

I think 3-1 is my favorite too. The darkness, narrow hallways. The Mind Flayers that can paralyze you immediately, the scream of the prisoner, the traps and desperate prisoners..... Just too many cool creepy aspects. It's really one of the only stealth feeling parts of the game, and it stands out for that too.

The Plague Swamp is great too. It feels like what Hell would be like.

Canova

Banned
Coldsnap said:
so what constitutes as a major demon?

boss is major demon. arch demon is the end boss for each world

so i got killed in pvp, i got my soul back but I'm still "dead" because my health in a fraction of what it is... wtf

you have to kill a boss to gain your body back, touching your blood stain only recovers your currency

oracrest

I beat the Spider again. Only took twice. I forgot his strategy the first time, but it came back pretty quick. Now that I have played through once, I am pretty open to looking at cheats and secrets to see what I missed. I already missed
Saving Biorr from his prison. Im torn between saving him, and killing him for his armor set. Any significant benefits to letting him live? I could always just save him in playthrough 3 :D

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
I beat the Spider again. Only took twice. I forgot his strategy the first time, but it came back pretty quick. Now that I have played through once, I am pretty open to looking at cheats and secrets to see what I missed. I already missed
Saving Biorr from his prison. Im torn between saving him, and killing him for his armor set. Any significant benefits to letting him live? I could always just save him in playthrough 3 :D

if you wanna kill him, do it as part of the Mephisto mission, you get the rare colorless demon soul

Is there some kind of trick to this game that I'm missing out? I just started playing and I'm getting my ass handed to me. The vast majority of enemies are pretty easy but in Boletarian Palace, the Tower Knight and this red knight with a lance just kick my ass. I read a strategy guide for the Tower Knight but even when I follow it, one slam of his shield on the ground nearly kills me. It's pretty freaking hard. Should I hit some other area first and then tackle these guys?

Om3ga

The Shadow said:
Is there some kind of trick to this game that I'm missing out? I just started playing and I'm getting my ass handed to me. The vast majority of enemies are pretty easy but in Boletarian Palace, the Tower Knight and this red knight with a lance just kick my ass. I read a strategy guide for the Tower Knight but even when I follow it, one slam of his shield on the ground nearly kills me. It's pretty freaking hard. Should I hit some other area first and then tackle these guys?
Red Knight, you don't really need to beat early unless it's for fun. Wait until you are about SL 30-35. If you want to beat him early I'll spoiler tag some stuff to try out.

Red Knight
If you have magic points to learn magic, 2 hand your weapon and get the spell, "weapon enchantment" (or something similar to that name). you can also use turpentine (I haven't tried), but that should get you a damage boost as well. Lock on to him and approach slowly. Wait until he's about to attack you then dodge. Hit him 2-3 times watch for his attack then dodge again. Sometimes it's easier to dodge without locking on. Try to keep your stamina High enough that you can roll whenever he's going to attack you. If you wait until later you can actually block his attacks though. Strategy that worked best for me was basically Dodge or if you're brave side step his attack Then attack twice, walk back without blocking to recover stamina then dodge/side-step again when he's about to attack again. Rinse and repeat until he goes down.

Tower Knight
is pretty easy, get close to him in front and when he's about to attack roll between his legs to his back. His shield attack should miss. 2 hand your weapon and attack his feet until he falls. Then attack his head. If you have enchant weapon or even a blunt damage type weapon he goes down pretty easy. You can also get behind him and shoot him in the head with arrows or magic if you are a spellcaster or archer (you should have a few bows you can use by now.). When behind him watch out for his jumping back move, but it doesn't do serious damage.
I used the first tactic to beat him even though I was a magic user, beat him on my second try, I was SL 5 at the time.

Also if you are having trouble upgrade your weapons and shields.
You can farm those Phalanx shield guys (i don't know their names...) in 1-2 for ore to ugrade your weapons and shields to about +5. or you can Farm the first area in 4-1 for Souls and buy the upgrades in 2-1. You can get rougly 3000 souls every 5-10mins if you farm just the first area up to the 2 archers on the gate. If you want to play without farming 2-1 is good for ore drops

Tarin02543

Shit, I missed Ostravia in 1-3 and when I killed him in his BP form in 1-4 his loot fell into the abyss, I saw his burning flame 300 feet below me.

Does this mean I can forget about his keys until NG+?

Coldsnap

canova said:
boss is major demon. arch demon is the end boss for each world

you have to kill a boss to gain your body back, touching your blood stain only recovers your currency

holy shit, so you have to kill bosses with gimped HP. This game is crazy

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
Tarin02543 said:
Shit, I missed Ostravia in 1-3 and when I killed him in his BP form in 1-4 his loot fell into the abyss, I saw his burning flame 300 feet below me.

Does this mean I can forget about his keys until NG+?

You could probably try reloading your game (in the level). If you're lucky, the flame will load unto the bridge, or somewhere accessible, instead.

Dever

Banned
Coldsnap said:

You can also use a special stone to get your body back. They can be pretty tough to find, but I think there's a few in every level. It's a complete bitch when you use one of those and the boss still kills you though. :lol

windfish

Coldsnap said:

as far as i remember your attack power increases in return, so its not that bad after all if you can manage to avoid every incoming atack:D!

Facism

so i'm going to give this a replay. Is there any guides out there for like a perfect run that allows both tendency extremes to be reached?

jeffpm said:
So, when I die in a level, I have to go through the ENTIRE level again to get back my souls?
Yes, however there are shortcuts in most levels. The gates you've opened in the first level stay open even if when you die.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Facism said:
so i'm going to give this a replay. Is there any guides out there for like a perfect run that allows both tendency extremes to be reached?
i think that in the end, you will most identify with the warrior infront of the Boletarian archstone.

but yeah, not that i knwo of.
i guess just dont ever die, then kill everything/suicide & use stones to bring each level down to black. i dont really see what you'd accomplish though, since you cant finish the game in one run. :\

Lumine

jeffpm said:
So, when I die in a level, I have to go through the ENTIRE level again to get back my souls?

Yes, everything (but bosses) will have respawned. If you were lucky enough you would've gotten past a point that works as a shortcut like opening a locked door from the other side or activating a lift so you can return where you were quickly. If you were unlucky you'll have to take the same route again, but it should be much quicker as you now have learned all the enemy placements and their attack patterns. Don't worry about it too much, you're going to die a lot in this game. You're also going to die without being able to get back your souls. Shit happens in this game. A lot. But it'll never feel unfair or anything.

Tip for people just starting: When you see a door with mist for the first time in world 1-1, don't go in it yet. Continue on ahead, you'll be able to find a door here that works as a shortcut as well as Cling Ring which will give you 75% of your hp instead of 50% when equipped and in soul form.

Facism

Pandaman said:
i think that in the end, you will most identify with the warrior infront of the Boletarian archstone.

but yeah, not that i knwo of.
i guess just dont ever die, then kill everything/suicide & use stones to bring each level down to black. i dont really see what you'd accomplish though, since you cant finish the game in one run. :\

Ah, ok. Irrespective of tendency wankery, is there a good guide for the game that will send me through with pretty much minimal hassle?

Christ....So I've upgraded my shield and weapons but still can't beat this guy. One stomp still takes like 1/2 my health. I have to load up on that half moon shit again which is expensive. This is becoming more of a pain. The rest of the game is relatively easy otherwise. I don't get it. I feel like I need some special weapon or something.

Cardigan

Lumine said:
Yes, everything (but bosses) will have respawned. If you were lucky enough you would've gotten past a point that works as a shortcut like opening a locked door from the other side or activating a lift so you can return where you were quickly. If you were unlucky you'll have to take the same route again, but it should be much quicker as you now have learned all the enemy placements and their attack patterns. Don't worry about it too much, you're going to die a lot in this game. You're also going to die without being able to get back your souls. Shit happens in this game. A lot. But it'll never feel unfair or anything.

Tip for people just starting: When you see a door with mist for the first time in world 1-1, don't go in it yet. Continue on ahead, you'll be able to find a door here that works as a shortcut as well as Cling Ring which will give you 75% of your hp instead of 50% when equipped and in soul form.
Thanks for the advice. Guess I've been spoiled by constant checkpoints in games.:D

Canova

Banned
The Shadow said:
Christ....So I've upgraded my shield and weapons but still can't beat this guy. One stomp still takes like 1/2 my health. I have to load up on that half moon shit again which is expensive. This is becoming more of a pain. The rest of the game is relatively easy otherwise. I don't get it. I feel like I need some special weapon or something.

Shield is useful against regular enemies, but useless against bosses. Against bosses you have to master dodging

hamchan

To new players: I say go to gamefaqs Demon's Souls message board and read the two stickies that are for newbies. Those helped me a lot.

Darkgran

Holy cow...

Why have I waited so long to play this game? I just started it last night (I have had it in shrink wrap for about a month) and the game is fantastic. I was just going to play for a bit and 3 hours later....I couldn't put it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom