• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls PSN Release 1/8 -- $19.99

Midou

I also think Demon's > Dark. Both are amazing though. It's for smaller reasons.

Yeah part of me agrees and part of me does not. I've played Dark for hundreds of hours more, and I feel getting far on a new run is easier, as 2-2 as a whole is always quite frustrating, plus item burden, half (or 75% HP with ring slot wasted), harder to turn human and such make it kind of hard to go back.

The atmosphere and level design felt more complex and dark though, and I did like that better. I feel when Dark Souls did with Covenants is better for online, but the actual online itself doesn't work quite as well. Though I do invade like crazy and co-op like crazy on PS3 at least. Fixed online with servers in Dark Souls II is a god send, if they can fix up covenants too, will make for some cool online.

I would prefer DSII to be a mix of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls, Dark Souls improvements of systems, Demon's Souls world, bosses and online.

Haven't gone through Demon's Souls in a while, I will take this White Tendency Event as an opportunity. That is also a thing I didn't like, the World Tendency being influenced by online aspects made a few things too random. It basically forces players to just kill themselves in the nexus so they don't have an even harder time. While I do like certain aspects of it, I do enjoy being able to know I can guarantee myself lizard kills or opening certain paths without starting the game all over.

I'm going to buy this even though I have the collectors edition first printing. I might not even install it, I just want to know that it is doubly mine. Maybe it will finally give me an excuse to do that archer run I was planning so long ago.

Finally getting around to playing Dark Souls for the first time, and it does some things better than Demon's, some things worse. I will say I prefer Demon's stage selection over the connected world of Dark though.

Atlus, Now would be a good time to release that Nexus Dynamic Theme that Japan got and the other regions didn't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUXFMu111M0
Was worth getting JP PSN bux for this, but yeah I'd like to have it attached on my main account's download list too.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Playing dark souls right now, they need to drop the price of the DLC.
Don't be a cheap-ass. The DLC has tons of awesome content and is well worth the price.

I wonder if I should play this before Dark Souls... so far Dark souls is aggravating me so much. I've lost so many hours of soul farming by dying once then falling into a pit accidentally after.
That'll teach you to farm instead of exploring the game and learning how to master it. Farming is a crutch!

That's the only thing Dark Souls does over Demon's. Otherwise it ruined gameplay systems (nerfed mages hard, WTF Charge system),
Mages needed a nerf for PvE, they were way too strong in DeS (still kinda are for DkS but not as much) but it was crappy for PvP. Then again the PvP in DkS is crappy overall so it wouldn't have changed much. I would have nerfed mages too but not with the Charge system personally.

DAT S&O bossfight that shows the engine really isn't built for two huge boss-fights that don't at least give you some breathing room to start (Maneaters/Gargoyles are better done)...
What was wrong with S&O?

cj_iwakura

Finally getting around to playing Dark Souls for the first time, and it does some things better than Demon's, some things worse. I will say I prefer Demon's stage selection over the connected world of Dark though.

Was worth getting JP PSN bux for this, but yeah I'd like to have it attached on my main account's download list too.

Hmm... how much is it? I think I have some left.

And yeah, come on Nich, pull some strings. So the world might be mended.

(Funny how the DkS ones are free...)

Johnas

Wow, didn't see this coming.

I really look forward to posts/threads from Dark Souls players who play this for the first time. I'm in the camp that prefers Demon's to Dark. Dark is great, it's just that Demon's is almost perfect.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
No. Like PSX titles, this is a straight .iso dump into the EBOOT.PBP format. WYSIWYG.

Also I'm curious why they're going digital this late (4 years?) in the game.

So the seek times and transfer rate of the BD drive is the same as all HDs? Doubtful. Have an SSD? Get the PSN version.

Gartooth

Playing through Dark Souls right now, probably about 1/3rd done with the game. Once I had my fill (completing a majority of the content the game has to offer in addition to the DLC) I will definitely download Demon's Souls. Hopefully it isn't too far of a step down doing it like this, and I am truly glad that Demon Soul's still retains it's online functionality because otherwise I would probably skip it.

Noema

This is great news. I'm finally getting this.

I love Dark Souls; have never played Demon's because I don't own a PS3, but I'll be borrowing one to play through this one.

Just put it in my veins...

Ashler

Platinum'ed it ... loved it (seriously sadistic Pure Bladestone drop).

Will buy again, even if just to have it installed in my PS3 without the need for a disk.

Daigoro

damn that dynamic theme is cool. i wants it.

hm, well im either going to buy this or just buy the disc. been wanting to play this. i can get it for $15 shipped from newegg or $20 on PSN.

gotta make a choice now. might as well check out the event.

dditionally, enemies will drop fewer upgrade stones and more healing items. New areas and special NPCs will also be open; players just need to know where to find them.

What's this? Do they mean "new" areas that PWWT regularly reveals, or actual new areas?

What's this? Do they mean "new" areas that PWWT regularly reveals, or actual new areas?

i'd say it's the areas revealed at PWWT.
i cant imagine new work has been done on demon's souls, they would say it clearly otherwise.

i'll think i'll get back to it for the white tendency event.
Great game.
I'm playing dark souls at the moment, i've already played 90 hours but i keep getting back to some areas (undead parish or darkroot gzarden)

dont think i'll be getting this version of demons souls though as i own it boxed

IrishNinja

i still know a few folks that enjoyed dark and didn't do this one...this is like the best $20 you're gonna spend this gen, people.

if you're unfamiliar, it's hard at first...push past it! very few games reward the way this one does.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Game of the Generation.

Dark Souls only begins to match it with the DLC bolted on, and even then I'm unsure BUT ITS TOO DANG CLOSE TO CALL.

PR from Namco Bandai.

PR said:
Demon's Souls, the universally acclaimed action RPG title from renowned Japanese publisher Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) and developed by FromSoftware, will be available for PlayStation®3 on the PlayStation®Network on January 23rd 2013 for Europe.

Raoh

Out of curiosity, there is talk about BC in PS4/720, which I assume is related to disc based games. I can only assume PSN/XBL games will/should work on PS4/720 right?

I loaned my Demon's Souls to a cousin, might let him keep it and pick up the PSN version if this is the case.

Starting this tonight. What should I know besides not selling boss souls? Starting out as a royal.
Never go into a boss fight if you have a large sum of souls that you are planning to use later. Go back to the nexus and spend them first before doing the boss.
Out of curiosity, there is talk about BC in PS4/720, which I assume is related to disc based games. I can only assume PSN/XBL games will/should work on PS4/720 right?

I loaned my Demon's Souls to a cousin, might let him keep it and pick up the PSN version if this is the case.
No way to know.
I'm thinking about buying but from what I hear the difficulty is a killer.
It's about patience and knowing your limits. Playing it safe will get you very far. The most dangerous thing in Demon's souls is getting ahead of yourself against a nearly dead opponent that is tough. That is how you get killed in two strikes even though you had a fight absolutely won.

Elios83

Should be the opposite, it will be difficult to have disc based compatibility while the hope is that there will be compatibility with the contents already available on the Store.

Bought it last week used at $5, cant wait for the tendency event, so far i feel like the game doesnt change tendencies at all.

I rented it awhile back and every time I died I got ported back to the beginning of the level. Is this how it is for the entire game?

... yes? Don't die. You can retrieve your souls after you die, but they will be gone forever if you happen to die again before you do.

I found it very tedious. And for a game that people praise for being unforgiving in its difficulty, not dying, especially in the beginning, is hard not to do. It drove me crazy! I was really hoping to like it, but I'll go back to Dragon's Dogma for my board and sword fix. Maybe I'll grab a cheap used copy now that its only $20.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I found it very tedious. And for a game that people praise for being unforgiving in its difficulty, not dying, especially in the beginning, is hard not to do. It drove me crazy! I was really hoping to like it, but I'll go back to Dragon's Dogma for my board and sword fix. Maybe I'll grab a cheap used copy now that its only $20.
Other than the Archdemon levels and a couple other short ones, most levels had shortcuts that you had to discover and trigger (like pulling levers, lowering boards, dropping through holes, etc...)

It is not difficult, just unforgiving. The fun part is in learning your way around, learning your abilities and how to get passed most enemies. That's the game. The game opens up after the beginning, allowing you to choose more paths and feel your way about, so it feels less constricted.

LegatoB

Use your shield and advance slowly. Watch enemies and learn their attacks, and when you can safely punish them. If you're getting swarmed, try using a bow to lure out foes one at a time. Don't be afraid to back off and get some space! The Souls games are about being deliberate and careful, and reward a conservative style. If you try and go balls-out all the time like it's Dragon's Dogma, yeah, you're going to die a lot. (Not knocking DD, but they're extremely different games.)

Restarting from the archstone when you die isn't that big a deal if you explore each area well and find the shortcuts. Keep an eye out for messages, they're usually not lying to you if they have a lot of recommendations, and they're the best way to find some of the shortcuts.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I still have to upgrade 1 more weapon to get platinum on that game. Unfortunately I have to finish and make my way into another game because I accidentally slapped around Stockpile Thomas on my current play through.

Stupid controller.

Top Bottom