• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Denuvo mail database and other information leak

Corpsepyre

Banned
If Denuvo goes down tomorrow, will we still be able to play the games if they're not patched to take the protection out?

s_mirage

i assume the publisher or devs would have to patch it out? consumers could probably class action lawsuit or something.

That's only a fair assumption with regards to new games; a few years down the road, or games that are no longer being sold, not so much. You know all those safedisc protected games from a decade or so ago? Microsoft blocked loading of the driver, so good luck getting them to run now without a nocd crack. Virtually no publishers have released patches removing the protection.

Caffeine

That's only a fair assumption with regards to new games; a few years down the road, or games that are no longer being sold, not so much. You know all those safedisc protected games from a decade or so ago? Microsoft blocked loading of the driver, so good luck getting them to run now without a nocd crack. Virtually no publishers have released patches removing the protection.

damn that sucks ye i know some older games basically require a nocd workaround.

I don't care what your assumptions made by, I hate all kinds of DRM and wont support with.
Simple.

Also I am gonna drop this image to here. Maybe devs should focus on their games and making better them instead using DRM techniques.

1486313985450.png
This image is absolutely useless for what you are suggesting, most of these games have sold much less due to not being as good as the previous one, controversies about performance, it being a bad game in general or requiring an always online connection.

Take this argument to the trash and come up with something new because Denuvo didn't make any of that happen.
Alright I noticed the players active in last 2 weeks being more for nearly all of them but that is because all games are the most recent.

jmga

Untrue, they don't. They only require reactivations when a game is patched.

There are multiple reports stating Denuvo requires reactivations not only after patches, which is obvious, but also when the hardware configuration changes and after some undefined time playing the game with steam in offline mode.

DOWN

Banned
The wildest part of this whole thread is that some people actually gave benefit of doubt to that ABZU email

Corpsepyre

Banned

Which games, in particular, are you talking about?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Piracy might not impact sales, that's true, but it doesn't matter when pulishers and developers doesn't agree. Worst case scenario is late or no PC release at all, or more use of always online.

MaxLevel

Neo Member
I don't care what your assumptions made by, I hate all kinds of DRM and wont support with.
Simple.

Also I am gonna drop this image to here. Maybe devs should focus on their games and making better them instead using DRM techniques.

What would actually be interesting to know is whether the share of pc sales went up or down.

Battlechili

Banned
Interesting news, but does this have any effect on Denuvo itself? A leak doesn't really mean much if Denuvo itself will still exist and go strong after the fact. I don't want the games I buy to have DRM. x_x
I suppose having an insecure website could result in some publishers/developers having second thoughts on using the software though, which is nice.

opricnik

Banned
i assume the publisher or devs would have to patch it out? consumers could probably class action lawsuit or something.

You cant play games with gfwl without cracking them if they arent patched.
And boy trust me if there is more thing publishers like more then dlc is how fast they love to cut support for old games. Who will spend make patch for old shits when they dont sell while you can make More dlc

Caffeine

You cant play games with gfwl without cracking them if they arent patched.
And boy trust me if there is more thing publishers like more then dlc is how fast they love to cut support for old games. Who will spend make patch for old shits when they dont sell while you can make More dlc

idk i havent had any trouble with the unpatched gfwl games on windows 10, u just download the client first from microsofts site and then just make a local profile to save games.

iskeledz

Banned
Which games, in particular, are you talking about?
Several such games are Call of Duty 1 and 2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Need for Speed Underground 1,2 and the original Most Wanted, Black & White, older Total War games (Rome, Medieval 1, Shogun 1), some Command & Conquer games, Age of Empires II, Battlefield 1942, Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 and the list goes on. Sure, these are all older games and not a lot of people play them anymore, but I just wanted to show an example of what can potentially happen in the future if devs don't patch out DRM after release.

opricnik

Banned
idk i havent had any trouble with the unpatched gfwl games on windows 10, u just download the client first from microsofts site and then just make a local profile to save games.
I couldnt play my GTA 4 retail discs. With google and steam searches brought me a solution while Rockstar or boys at microsoft didnt

Gamezone

Gold Member
lol witcher 3 was nr 1 on every damn torrent site.
shame they didn't use denuvo
could have earned them a lot of money

I actually think they gained money by not adding DRM. They trust their fans, and fans trust them back. People pirate because they get it for free, not because they would have bought it otherwise.

Coffinhal

i better steal a car ford is big enough

That's a very dumb comparison : downloading is counterfeiting but not stealing since you don't remove someone's good from their hands. (see : every court report, at least in the EU

Glad to see that the industrial system has supporters that he didn't ask for, you need some useful idiots to support your cause and maintin stupid rules and barriers Servitude in its purest form.

The shit isn't even uncrackable, we have 1 game every 10 days that is cracked nowadays. And their lack of attention to privacy for their users is worrying to the least. Sad!

Twiforce

Good, fuck Denuvo. And fuck the capitalist economic and legal system that allowed the free sharing of culture and information to be deemed "theft."

gatti-man

Ouch.

Why is Denuvo so hated though? People decide to not buy games because they use Denuvo etc. I've only been gaming on PC for a few years but I've not noticed any problem at all so far. What am I missing?

Denuvo is hated because it has largely worked. It's that simple.

Good, fuck Denuvo. And fuck the capitalist economic and legal system that allowed the free sharing of culture and information to be deemed "theft."

Case in point lol.

Hmm, is this real? Wouldn't the developer have a backup of their own original executable?

Well, Denuvo doesn't actually modify the executables themselves. The application makes API calls to the Denuvo anti-tamper library. So, it would be the developer modifying and recompiling.

gatti-man

I hate it because its DRM put on games I'm already paying for. Denuvo isn't doing a single thing to me but harm me because I buy my games

Denuvo also helps developers be paid for their work. It's silly to assume a company should creat something infinitely copyable and just release it into the internet unprotected. That's not smart or business savvy.

Battlechili

Banned
Denuvo also helps developers be paid for their work. It's silly to assume a company should creat something infinitely copyable and just release it into the internet unprotected. That's not smart or business savvy.
And yet GOG exists. (which I would totally buy my games from if it weren't for the fact that most developers puts their games on Steam instead)
Not that I'm necessarily saying Denuvo does or does not aid in making money. (I do think its possible for games to be successful without DRM, however. Witcher 3 being an example) Just that from a consumer standpoint its anti-consumer in nature. That it means that people who would pay for their products suffer. I don't hate it because it prevents me from pirating. I'm not pirating these games in the first place.

Does it help devs get paid for their work? You seem like a sharp apple, so since you're all about "silly assumptions", why don't you show us the data you got there that is illustrating the recovered sales made by denuvo, or the data to illustrate piracy is hurting game sales.

Nah don't bother, let's do the corporate cheerleader shuffle instead!

SURGEdude

The Battlefield 1 crack also got pushed out. CPY seems to have broken the protection pretty thoroughly based on how much quicker their cracks have been getting.

Denuvo crashing couldn't happen to a more deserving group of people. Still have nightmares about the last DRM many of them worked on, SecuROM. That shit was the devil.

Simple.

1486313985450.png

If only it were possible to find seven pairs of games that make the exact opposite argument.

I won't bother but we both know it wouldn't take much effort at all.

gatti-man

Does it help devs get paid for their work? You seem like a sharp apple, so since you're all about "silly assumptions", why don't you show us the data you got there that is illustrating the recovered sales made by denuvo, or the data to illustrate piracy is hurting game sales.

Nah don't bother, let's do the corporate cheerleader shuffle instead!

Yes let's ask for data that's impossible to have to somehow prove your point. It's common sense that when pirates can't get something for free that they want some of them will pay. This isn't a hard concept to understand. If you can afford a gaming rig you can afford to buy games but most don't if they can pirate it.

Witcher 3 was pirated to hell and back. Something can be a success and still have rampant piracy. That however does not mean they wouldn't have sold more with drm. And we have seen less popular games be pirated into oblivion without drm.

bonej

Simple.

1486313985450.png

or Sega’s Football Manager the sales numbers are publically available (approx. numbers from SteamSpy) and you see that Football Manager 2013 (good crack free window of 6 month vs. 0 days on FM 2012 / 2014) sold ways better: Football Manager 2012: 1,173,175 units Football Manager 2013: 1,340,023 units Football Manager 2014: 1,177,011 units This shows that a 4 week crack free window already gives far ~15% more sales (at full price as this is the initial sales window) in this sample.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If there wasn't a perception of benefit, noone would use Denuvo's services.

So long as that perception exists, which is to say so long as piracy exists, there will always be a demand for DRM solutions.

Simple as that.

Piracy/copy-protection is an unending game of whack-a-mole.

DMiz

Those games have been out for ages, put in multiple bundles, and even given away free at times.

Heavily agreed. This image/comparison doesn't even attempt to match the sales across the sequels/related titles by using the number of owners for the earlier title around a similar time away from when it was launched.

At this point, it's LTD vs LTD - which, for games that have been out longer and (as pointed out above) been in more bundles and sales, is going to be naturally higher by virtue of time.

Yes let's ask for data that's impossible to have to somehow prove your point. It's common sense that when pirates can't get something for free that they want some of them will pay. This isn't a hard concept to understand. If you can afford a gaming rig you can afford to buy games but most don't if they can pirate it.

Witcher 3 was pirated to hell and back. Something can be a success and still have rampant piracy. That however does not mean they wouldn't have sold more with drm. And we have seen less popular games be pirated into oblivion without drm.

Then it's also commonsense then that some consumers pirate to try, then buy. Ergo creating denuvo eliminates those theoretical sales.

If by common sense we mean logical leaps.

Between this and RE7 getting cracked, I don't think Denuvo's future is looking too great.

I've just found out that FC Primals and Watch Dogs 2 are already cracked as well.

Yeah, it's a bad month(s) for Denuvo. I'm curious how will publishers/developers react to this for their upcoming games.

bomblord1

Banned
Why would an email form store information on their web server instead of just sending an email directly to the relevant party?

Top Bottom