• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny 2: "Guided Games" only works with normal difficulty for Raids (and Nightfall)

Nick_C

How is external LFG superior to an in-game LFG for these issues? LFG parties for heroic raids fall apart all the time.

This is a case of Bungie making things more difficult for no apparent reason.

The people I ran hard mode raids with I met through normal mode LFG runs. I built up a rapport with those people and we were able to schedule time outside of Destiny to be able to commit. Anecdotally, every time I tried to fill a hole in my group either here or on another site for hard it never panned out.

Owensboro

How is external LFG superior to an in-game LFG for these issues? LFG parties for heroic raids fall apart all the time.

This is a case of Bungie making things more difficult for no apparent reason.

It all hinges on the Guild tools, and if they're garbage or not.

blamite

What's the problem?

They want you to make friends... Make friends in normal raids... do Hard raids with new friends.

A lot of Destiny's success is predicated on the social side of things. The community is great. Use guided games to find your raid team

problem is once you're at/near the Light cap there's literally no benefit to doing the easy version of the raid, so this plan requires either making enough friends to have a group available before that point, or wasting a bunch of time running content that's not getting you anything good just to find people to do a harder version of the same exact thing with. Or just go back to using external LFG sites again.

TheRed

AHAHA that's so ridiculous wtf is wrong with you Bungie?? If it's so easy to set up a group outside of the game why not just make it easy for everything in the game?

Gator86

They managed to disappoint everyone somehow. Bravo, Bungie. People terrified of dumbed down content now horrified and content still locked out of in-game tools. Stay winning.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Absolutely no one who supports this stubborn decision is explaining why going to an LFG website is somehow better than in-game LFG, which is what Guided Games is.

DarKshodaN

well fuck this, i will not spend again hundreds of hours on LFG sites to get a game get starting.

I can understand it for the hard mode raid, but for nothing else.

only good thing about this is that there is more time for me to play all the other great games coming out later this year

Babyshams

So you can still use the LFG on xbox live, you can use some random site on the internet. You can matchmake in normal mode then party up and bump it up to heroic mode...

If the workarounds are so easy and simple, why not just put it as a feature in the game?

Why create an easier nightfall when the nightfall itself is not even difficult?

It just sounds like arrogant Bungie from Destiny launch.

Brannon

You know, the silver lining in all of this is that the game is on PC, where hopefully some brave and salubrious person will tack an LFG tool directly on the game. It can even be destinylfg, but it'll be 'in-game' and right the fuck there.

There is hope.

A little bit, but it's there.

GReeeeN

Why not do this in-game? How is an external site superior in any way?

because GG doesn't work like this. GG seems to be more of a matchmaking tool designed to help new comers find an experienced raid group. Thisis perfect for Normal raid, but Heroic requires a different level strategy and teamwork/ communication. Like I said, an experienced group looking to run a Heroic raid as fast as possible doesn't want to be matched with a player trying the raid for the 1st time.

LOL at people complaning about this, Raids and the hardest content in the game don't need matchmaking! It has been said THOUSANDS of times, it compromises the experience design and they won't add it!

You needed a tool to meet people, not a tool to get 3 more dudes cause you can't get good to finish damn content FFS.

duhmetree

Normal Raid drops first. Use Guided Games to find a Raid Group.

Raid for 4-6 weeks leading up to Hard Mode. If you can't find a Raid Group/Friends in that span you're doing something wrong or not trying IMO.

Once you have some form of Raid Group, the same people will run nightfalls/end-game content with you.

The people I play with are people I met through Destiny.

You needed a tool to meet people, not a tool to get 3 more dudes cause you can't get good to finish damn content FFS.
If Bungie thinks players need a tool, put that tool into the game. In-game this tool can know your region, your ping, your character, your game history, your skill level, your gear, the works. It can use existing platform communication tools without needing to go out of band for everything.

As it is they built an in-game tool, and then purposefully hobbled it.

That big ass 2 is getting smaller every week.

Azull

Absolutely no one who supports this stubborn decision is explaining why going to an LFG website is somehow better than in-game LFG, which is what Guided Games is.

Seriously, not a single person has provided a reasonable explanation as to why an external lfg is superior to an internal system.

"It allows you to get a grasp on who you are teaming up with."

No it doesn't, not at all. It's literally the same function, you join with some random people who you have never met or played with before and you go into the raid basically blind in that aspect.

"It forces the community to get together and grow while also making new companions."

This is literally what Guilded Games does. Like literally its exact function and purpose of being implemented IN the game.

"It ensures you don't get put with awful randoms where you constantly die over and over again."

What in the hell is this tripe? I did the god damn matching making externally in Destiny 1 for all of the raids in both of the difficulties I still got grouped with countless people who were just as awful as an in-game match making group.

Nydius

Upon further thought, this seems like it will really limit the usefulness of Guided Games for anyone coming into the game later. As more clans reach the point where normal mode raids are not of benefit, they'll simply stop running them and there will be fewer and fewer experienced groups available to sherpa Guided Games players through the content.

Imagine if Guided Games were available right now in Destiny 1. I don't know many people who bother running Wrath of the Machine and when/if they do, it's Heroic only. I can't imagine the normal mode of the raid gets much play. So if you were a new player (not out of the realm of possibilities since places keep putting the collection on sale) and wanted to get a Guided Games group for normal WotM, you'd probably be out of luck. At the very minimum, your choices would be extremely limited.

I just don't get why they couldn't put a full blown LFG type tool into the game itself. Guided Games is a start but enough of this nonsense where people need to go outside of the game to third party sites or apps when everything could be taken care of IN game.

Eh kinda sucks but at least I get to take part in the content? I always felt like I was missing good chunk of the game cause I could never get into raids in the original, at least now I can experience the content and story stuff.

It would be nice to have the option to play the reg difficulty too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
because GG doesn't work like this. GG seems to be more of a matchmaking tool designed to help new comers find an experienced raid group. Thisis perfect for Normal raid, but Heroic requires a different level strategy and teamwork/ communication. Like I said, an experienced group looking to run a Heroic raid as fast as possible doesn't want to be matched with a player trying the raid for the 1st time.

- Make it so you have to beat the normal mode first.

- And if that "experienced group" still doesn't want to play with someone doing the heroic difficulty for the first time, guess what? They can just not use the feature.

Why do some of you defend every single decision Bungie makes? There is no logical argument to be had here.

If Bungie thinks players need a tool, put that tool into the game.

As it is they built one, and then purposefully hobbled it.

That big ass 2 is getting smaller every week.

The tool is right there, Guided games is supposed to connect you to people to learn to play. The idea is that you meet people through that tool and be part of that group or any other to do ANY kind of content in the game.

That's perfect, how people use that tool is a whole other subject, not Bungie's fault that people don't know how to socialize.

Here's a great example:

Welp, guess that'll be another entire Destiny game where I play zero Nightfalls and Raids. Oh well.

How hard is to put a post on DGAF/reddit/Xbox or PSN communities and say, "Hey guys, i never did a raid, will you help me with this?"

ZeoVGM

Banned
LOL at people complaning about this, Raids and the hardest content in the game don't need matchmaking! It has been said THOUSANDS of times, it compromises the experience design and they won't add it!

This isn't about matchmaking. Guided Games is a form of LFG because it requires you to be one or two players matching with a larger pre-made Clan that already knows each other.

No one is asking for blind Raid matchmaking here. This is about their LFG tool.

Holiday

Banned
Then that clan can say explicitly, in their motto viewable in-game, that they are not looking for noobs. My understanding is that it doesn't put people together without first establishing mutual interest. And if this isn't the case, then it's an even bigger failure by Bungie. It is inexcusable for them to offload this labor onto the community.

No dedicated servers, no match making for the end game content, no new classes, no Rumble, no Exo Stranger because her arc was finished,

Nothing Bungie has announced has made me think that they're addressing the flaws of the first game.

E92 M3

People that actually play Destiny and do the hardest content understand that without a proper gear check (which Bungie's system probably can't do) it will be hard to match for heroic raids/nighfalls. Playing with undergeared players is a huge pain.

Also, the hardest content usually requires communication.

Drencrom

VoJbV.gif

Didn't ND:s MP team that you were a part decide that players wouldn't be able to matchmake in Uncharted 4 Coop with randoms for the two highest difficulties too? :p

ZeoVGM

Banned
People that actually play Destiny and do the hardest content understand that without a proper gear check (which Bungie's system probably can't do) it will be hard to match for heroic raids/nighfalls. Playing with undergeared players is a huge pain.

I "actually play" Destiny and made the rant in the OP.

If you're max LL, you can do the heroic raid. It's as simple as that. You don't need specific gear.

And if you're the kind of player that is anal about the type of gear your teammates are using, even at max LL, then don't use the in-game feature. Go post on an LFG site with your list of gear demands or invite someone you're already friends with.

This would not impact you.

This isn't about matchmaking. Guided Games is a form of LFG because it requires you to be one or two players matching with a larger pre-made Clan that already knows each other.

No one is asking for blind Raid matchmaking here. This is about their LFG tool.

Guided games does exactly that! What the hell are you complaining? LOL

If you want a tool that does that for every single activity in the game, then you didn't understand guided games in the first place, the tool is built around the concept of meeting people, after that it's up to you.

GReeeeN

Seriously, not a single person has provided a reasonable explanation as to why an external lfg is superior to an internal system.

Have you run a Heroic raid in Destiny?. Some boss encounters requires the entire party to communicate and coordinate efficiently.

If you think you ran into a lot of incompetent players on LFG, just imagine the number of these players you would be matched with through an in game matchmaking system. Sounds incredibly frustrating to me for a more challenging version of the raid. Remember we talking about Heroic here, you cant respawn, there is very little room for error, a single death can result in an entire wipe.

Holiday

Banned

Also, the hardest content usually requires communication.

What about this makes an in-game LFG insufficient? If someone joins with underleveled gear, boot them, the same way you would if you met them on an outside LFG site.

E92 M3

I "actually play" Destiny and made the rant in the OP.

If you're max LL, you can do the heroic raid. It's as simple as that. You don't need specific gear.

And if you're the kind of player that is anal about the type of gear your teammates are using, even at max LL, then don't use the in-game feature. Go post on an LFG site with your list of gear demands or invite someone you're already friends with.

This would not impact you.

I know nothing about the D2 raid, but if it's anything like WOTM (heroic), coordination and gear will be important.

What about this makes an in-game LFG insufficient? If someone joins with underleveled gear, boot them, the same way you would if you met them on an outside LFG site.

Well, if Bungie gave us the standard LFG, then it will all be good. With GG, it's just advanced MM it seems.

Strakt

I have no problem chillin on my double monitor setup with destinylfg open on my 2nd monitor.. that and I also have friends. I think this pushes people to actually socialize a bit more rather than having everything automatically done for them. Pretty much how WoW forces you to do it if you want to play harder content.

FingerBang

Bungie is like your father asking you to forgive him just before he slaps you again.

Fuck you. Matchmaking for all FUCKING activities. FUCK YOU LUKE!

Holiday

Banned
I have no problem chillin on my double monitor setup with destinylfg open on my 2nd monitor.. that and I also have friends. I think this pushes people to actually socialize a bit more rather than having everything automatically done for them. Pretty much how WoW forces you to do it if you want to play harder content.

What it pushes people to do is not play the content, which is precisely the problem that Guided Games was designed to solve.

Why should someone need a two-monitor setup? Why not put a basic LFG feature in the game itself?

xRaizen

This is how WoW has done it with their LFR tool (at least, the automatic one) ever since that launched for raids. Nobody expects a group of randoms grouped up by the LFR to coordinate well enough to complete the raid at the highest difficulty.

They did add a tool to search for groups formed by players later on (Warlords I think?) but that is of course on PC so I imagine that for a console based game that's not viable at all.

I don't have a problem with it though - the perception I have of Guided Games is so that people can find clans with people that they like, and eventually make friends to complete the hardest content together.

Serious shit: if anyone can ask, please have Bungie confirm we will still have private matches when D2 launches. I swear these guys are gonna remove that too.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Guided games does exactly that! What the hell are you complaining? LOL

If you want a tool that does that for every single activity in the game, then you didn't understand guided games in the first place, the tool is built around the concept of meeting people, after that it's up to you.

That fact that you're LOLing at this is incredibly childish and I'm not going to go back and forth with you.

Having this feature for heroic modes would literally not impact you. Simple as that.

sucks but I'm not to outraged by this, guess LFG.com/net will still be in effect. the people you meet via Guided Games will probably just up the difficulty when in orbit.

besides DGAF will have our backs!

Primus

How hard is to put a post on DGAF/reddit/Xbox or PSN communities and say, "Hey guys, i never did a raid, will you help me with this?"

I don't know, how hard is it to have basic social features that every other MMO I've ever played have built in to the game?

Lol no offense to you guys, but the last thing I want is to be randomly matched for heroic raids.

I understand their desire to remove that, as people would stop using features such as LFG.net which provides better vetting and choice on who to invite. If their tool was like that then I'd say put it into game. But I've had way too many bad players looking to be carried even in there. Random heroic would be such a crapshoot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I know nothing about the D2 raid, but if it's anything like WOTM (heroic), coordination and gear will be important.

So again, if you're worried about what gear someone has, don't use the in-game LFG/MM feature. It's really that simple.

And I'm not sure why you're saying "coordination" as if there would be less of it. If you use Guided Games to join a clan -- in either normal or hard -- that clan can simply boot you if you're not coordinating. The same way it's done through LFG sites.

Strakt

What it pushes people to do is not play the content, which is precisely the problem that Guided Games was designed to solve.

Why should someone need a two-monitor setup? Why not put a basic LFG feature in the game itself?

No one should need a two monitor setup. I'm just saying for ME personally it won't be a problem since its on PC. Regardless, after playing countless PC games without matchmaking or LFG features, I personally have no problem with this. If people don't want to play the content, then thats up to them.. but this game will have millions of players just like the first, and those who do want to experience the content will find a way.

Top Bottom