• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny |OT7| "In the Garden of Suros" by I. Ron Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

*Splinter

It was a joke, man.

But really, just play more. Practice makes perfect. Learning the maps helps A LOT. Also, try using an auto rifle and aim for the head.
Oh we have our wires crossed ;)

I'm not bad in pvp*, in fact I'm winning most games, I'm frustrated because I feel the pvp here is incredibly badly designed. ("Designed" might be too strong a word even). The care and attention given to the raid is obvious at every stage, and the whole experience stands out as the best part of the game and the part that makes the game as a whole noteworthy / worth playing. I just wished they could have put a fraction of the same effort into some other parts of the game, particularly pvp.

*My best score in control is >9000 (>10000 in beta), I've had 29/0 in skirmish and (just today) 20/0 in rumble completely by accident. I love pvp, and played almost nothing but cod for a couple years, including competitively. I'm not saying this to brag (honest guv), this is my context to the statement "I'm not bad at pvp".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not sure what Bungie was thinking when they created the idiotic bounty for Thorn. It wouldn't be so bad if the points didn't subtract with deaths, but the way it's set up right now, the only way to offset the death penalty is to try to make every kill count towards the bounty, which means that people are running around with a fusion rifle the entire match and being a burden on their team.

Bungie has never been a studio to make good mulitplayer Achievements, so I guess this isn't too surprising. It's frustrating how one simple change (don't subtract points from death) would still make the bounty tough and force people to play outside of their comfort zone, but not ruin the player experience.
dat burden. Rumble is the best for it anyway, but I am quite certain I could have contributed to my team in clash just fine.

Thorn ultimately shines in PvP. I have no problems with that bounty whatsoever and that isn't just because it was easy for me to get. It's reasonable. These are guaranteed exotics.
Yeah in retrospect I wish I picked the fusion exotic bounty.
You got those choices at the same time? They usually aren't offered together I don't think

cjp

Shall I spend my Motes of Light at the Speaker for a fancy looking Warlock Bond or at Xur for the engram?

Ok ice breaker broke PvP(until it cools down) and not for the reason you think...I've been in 4 matches now where my entire team was trying to snipe(terribly) and leaving all objectives. It's very annoying.

I give it a day before non-snipers who are experimenting go back to their preferred weapon in PvP. If you aren't a PvP sniper already, Ice Breaker ain't gonna help you out.

lol gotta break in the ice breaker. not sure i how i feel about everyone having regenerating sniper ammo now, but i guess the less people using shotguns and SUROS, the better IMO. at least sniping takes some finesse

It's actually not that bad since you lose your whole clip when you die. With my Praedyth, I could grab up two to three special ammo boxes and be stocked with 24 Sniper rounds.

So, I'm officially sold on PS4-Vita remote play. Not at home this weekend, but I've got my Vita with me. Hopped on for a couple minutes last night to get the last fusion rifle I needed, and this morning for Xur. This is one of the coolest things I've seen done with gaming this gen.
How does this work, exactly? How far away can you be from your PS4?

Poor Pocket Infinity, I thought I was going to max this out first and use the heck out of it but now it seems like it won't even get the time of day. I get Vision of Confluence which became my top priority and now I'll be snagging Icebreaker. Heck, it'd probably make more sense to level up my Void Raid Machine Gun before PI as it'll be more useful in Raids.

Kalamari

So, I want to quickly level up the skills on my 27 Warlock alt, what would be the best way to do this other than bounties and Daily Heroic? I was thinking of hijacking a Pike on Venus and heading to the spot where Fallen and Vex are constantly battling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Let me ask you guys something?

Is Xur ever going to sell exotic engrams OTHER than armor ones?
no one knows
It seems to be the only one he ever has for sale is the damn head one.
he has had chests
Im glad Xur finally sold Icebreaker. I wonder how come he sold the Exotic cheaper than he usually does.

I only paid 17 SC. He usually sells his exotic weapons for 23. I wonder why this one was less.
primary weapons are 23, others are 17

LiK

So, I want to quickly level up the skills on my 27 Warlock alt, what would be the best way to do this other than bounties and Daily Heroic? I was thinking of hijacking a Pike on Venus and heading to the spot where Fallen and Vex are constantly battling.

Tiger Strikes or PVP

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How does this work, exactly? How far away can you be from your PS4?
Lol, um. you can be in china (note this assumes your PS4 is not in china). I don't know exactly how it works but I assume it's some form of FUCKING MAGIC.
Poor Pocket Infinity, I thought I was going to max this out first and use the heck out of it but now it seems like it won't even get the time of day. I get Vision of Confluence which became my top priority and now I'll be snagging Icebreaker. Heck, it'd probably make more sense to level up my Void Raid Machine Gun before PI as it'll be more useful in Raids.
true, I love my PI, but it never really has a place in the Raid.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
How is the hard mode raid? I completed the normal mode 4 times now. I like to think I'm fairly decent at the game but does being level 29 hurt you I hard mode?

Flo_Evans

Holy... shit.

SUROS has nothing on a well used Shadow Price does it? Glad I found mine with the clip expansion.

Also, Iron Banner is a JOKE. You can wreck havoc with a low leveled char. Damn Bungie. U sneaky!

It a toss up IMHO, I'm not good enough at PvP to say if it is the gun or the player but I win maybe 50% against SUROS with my shadow price.

I do get some nice satisfaction killing SUROS users with a legendary AR though... and I imagine frustration on their end :p

MADGAME

So far we have seen in game:

Fallen and Hive battle
Fallen and Vex battle
Vex and Cabal battle

No Hive vs Vex, Hive vs Cabal or Cabal vs Fallen

Correct?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I will help anyone with a Raid if you can help me get the raid clan trophy. My own raid crew is planning for that but I don't mind getting it sooner.
I wouldn't mind doing the same thing. Getting 6 people together in the same clan is impossible. :(

RedFury

Yeah it's annoying but I'm sure it will normalize again. I just erks me they go in and try to use it like its a shot gun and get mowed down by automatics, and shotguns. I'll be the only guy at an objective because my team was wiped out missing their shots as they get riddled with bullets haha. I hope it gets better soon I'm so close to level 3.

Grinchy

Banned
Nah, it's pretty good. I wreck people in the Crucible with it. Think of it as a mid range sniper and play conservatively, and you'll do fine. It's a totally different play style than The Last Word, for sure.

I'm still leveling mine up so that could be why it feels so shitty still. I think the impact stat and the recoil are what I hate most about it.

My blue HC does 95 damage headshots in PvP while the Thorn only does 81. That's a huge difference, especially considering it has half of the magazine size and way more recoil. I'll keep leveling it up and hope I don't hate it some day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It a toss up IMHO, I'm not good enough at PvP to say if it is the gun or the player but I win maybe 50% against SUROS with my shadow price.

I do get some nice satisfaction killing SUROS users with a legendary AR though... and I imagine frustration on their end :p
ah that's how I felt leading an IB match with a galahad ;) maybe they were all super okay with it but in my head, they are throwing their ps4 controllers through monitors and crying audibly so their roommates have to come in and ask if everything's okay <3

edit: 98 pages. we can hit 100 in 1.5 hrs, I believe

Shall I spend my Motes of Light at the Speaker for a fancy looking Warlock Bond or at Xur for the engram?

I say engram. My logic is that I want to hit 30, and by having exotics in every slot maximizes when I can get to 30 depending on RNG in the Raid. Example: I have 2 raid gear (chest and legs), and only exotics for helmet and gauntlets. If I get either a guantlet or helmet from the raid, I can hit 30, instead of hoping for ONLY the gauntlets or helmet. Just a thought :) It's what I'm gonna do today.

The bond is purely cosmetic. If you've got an exotic in each slot already, go for the bond unless you're looking for a specific helm.

Deku Tree

Hawkian, to answer your question I was offered two rounds of exotic bounties. During one of them I think I remember being offered the fusion exotic, and possibly during another the invective exotic. I don't really play shotguns though even though I have gotten both two of the comedian and two of found verdict. I took the thorn bounty and the bad juju bounties because at the time I only had blue primaries and I was looking for a better primary weapon. Now I have the hex arc legendary ar that I really like a lot even though it is taking forever to level up, and I wish I had taken the fusion exotic bounty so that I could have a legendary or better fusion with each type of burn.

*Splinter

How is the hard mode raid? I completed the normal mode 4 times now. I like to think I'm fairly decent at the game but does being level 29 hurt you I hard mode?
It's really tough, you'll die often and get stuck on certain sections for hours at a time, until everyone in the party hates each other and at least one person is audibly sobbing.

Do it, persevere, it's worth it.

LiK

I wouldn't mind doing the same thing. Getting 6 people together in the same clan is impossible. :(

Not really. You can just make some bullshit group and get everyone to join it and set it as a tag. People can leave it afterwards. Just depends if they are willing.

I almost got it but two dudes didn't wanna do it in my Normal Raid.

Just need 1 more for the Raid guys,

We have 5 ready to roll.

PSN: MandrakeUK

Please feel free to just join the fireteam as we are looking to start promptly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Not really. You can just make some bullshit group and get everyone to join it and set it as a tag. People can leave it afterwards. Just depends if they are willing.

I almost got it but two dudes didn't wanna do it in my Normal Raid.
Well, yeah. Convincing people to even do that much is hard. lol

If you want to do it, let me know!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian, to answer your question I was offered two rounds of exotic bounties. During one of them I think I remember being offered the fusion exotic, and possibly during another the invective exotic. I don't really play shotguns though even though I have gotten both two of the comedian and two of found verdict. I took the thorn bounty and the bad juju bounties because at the time I only had blue primaries and I was looking for a better primary weapon. Now I have the hex arc legendary ar that I really like a lot even though it is taking forever to level up, and I wish I had taken the fusion exotic bounty so that I could have a legendary or better fusion with each type of burn.
aww. yeah those were some unfortunate calls. oh well, the bounty will come again!

Lol, um. you can be in china (note this assumes your PS4 is not in china). I don't know exactly how it works but I assume it's some form of FUCKING MAGIC.

true, I love my PI, but it never really has a place in the Raid.
Wait, WAT???? So all these weekends I've went out of town for Football I could have played after all during wind down hours? This means I could actually play this weekend! How do you use it? Keep PS4 on standby (which I do anyway) and then there's some app on the Vita you can use to access it? Do I need to sync them for the first time before I leave the house?

All the enemies are level 30, so 29's are at a big disadvantage but not insurmountable. Hard mode is much, much more difficult because of this and because there are no revives during an encounter (unless you have Warlock self-res).

kgb_abc

Neo Member
It's really tough, you'll die often and get stuck on certain sections for hours at a time, until everyone in the party hates each other and at least one person is audibly sobbing.

Do it, persevere, it's worth it.

I might give it a go tonight or this weekend if a group is forming. I'm one pair of raid boots away from hitting Level 30

Flo_Evans

ah that's how I felt leading an IB match with a galahad ;) maybe they were all super okay with it but in my head, they are throwing their ps4 controllers through monitors and crying audibly so their roommates have to come in and ask if everything's okay <3

edit: 98 pages. we can hit 100 in 1.5 hrs, I believe

Suros also has the tell of a highly unique sound when firing. I can always tell when there is one nearby and play a little extra cautious.

Vex mythbuster (had to steal this name) I have no answer for. I was pretty much trying to warn my teammates where he was on the map >_<

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I say engram. My logic is that I want to hit 30, and by having exotics in every slot maximizes when I can get to 30 depending on RNG in the Raid. Example: I have 2 raid gear (chest and legs), and only exotics for helmet and gauntlets. If I get either a guantlet or helmet from the raid, I can hit 30, instead of hoping for ONLY the gauntlets or helmet. Just a thought :) It's what I'm gonna do today.
Hmmm. This is a magnificent point. I wish I had made mention of it in my "30 or Bust" guide section. Everyone that cares about getting to 30 ASAP read this comment, for seriously.
Wait, WAT???? So all these weekends I've went out of town for Football I could have played after all during wind down hours? This means I could actually play this weekend! How do you use it? Keep PS4 on standby (which I do anyway) and then there's some app on the Vita you can use to access it?
yes. it's built into the vita (PS4 link). it is absolutely stellar. every time i do something successfully with it i feel like I have my hands inside the future. don't know what else to say.
Do I need to sync them for the first time before I leave the house?
I assume so yeah, I certainly didn't try from a remote location before doing it correctly at home once.

zewone

I want some trash mobs. My favorite part about this game is, predictably, shooting shit. But you actually do little shooting in the raid, outside of the bosses. By little I mean, none at all once you go in.

What about the vex conflux phases, oracle phase, templar boss phase adds, gatekeeper phase and atheon phase adds?

Nameless

Thanks for the advice on coins guys!
My gameplan is:
1. Daily public event
2. Weekly strike
3. Nightfall
4. Tiger playlist marathon/praying

I get them from the plethora of blue engrams I earn from spamming Tiger Strikes more than the actual Strike rewards.

Leveling up Rahool is another decent way to get them. So if you have a good farming area(I like Ishtar Commons on Venus) you might want to spend sometime there as well depending on how much success you have with other methods.

Arrrammis

Not sure what Bungie was thinking when they created the idiotic bounty for Thorn. It wouldn't be so bad if the points didn't subtract with deaths, but the way it's set up right now, the only way to offset the death penalty is to try to make every kill count towards the bounty, which means that people are running around with a fusion rifle the entire match and being a burden on their team.

Bungie has never been a studio to make good mulitplayer Achievements, so I guess this isn't too surprising. It's frustrating how one simple change (don't subtract points from death) would still make the bounty tough and force people to play outside of their comfort zone, but not ruin the player experience.

Every secondary weapon in the game above tier 10 has an element equipped, not just fusion rifles. Pull out your favorite void shotgun or sniper rifle and have at it! Also note that void rocket launchers are a very easy way to get this bounty done.

Or, be a void warlock and just super/grenade everything.

MADGAME

Idunno, Dinklebot made the final Hive mission sound super dramatic and...final lol.

Hmmm I'll pay more attention the next time it comes up for a daily Heroic. So then when the Moon strike comes out in December....we're going back in time?

So is there a weekly/daily cap on getting shards/energy from public events? I have been farming public events for 4 hours and i haven't gotten anything.

yes. it's built into the vita (PS4 link). it is absolutely stellar. every time i do something successfully with it i feel like I have my hands inside the future. don't know what else to say.

I assume so yeah, I certainly didn't try from a remote location before doing it correctly at home once.

That is amazing. I'm not leaving until tomorrow now so I'll test syncing it at home and then it will hopefully be configured to work form out of town.

Ken

No. You just kill the thing they were communing with. They're still alive as a species.

Hmmm I'll pay more attention the next time it comes up for a daily Heroic. So then when the Moon strike comes out in December....we're going back in time?

Well there you go.

Although you make a good point about the expansion; if the Hive are still present on the Moon what did we even do to them in the base game. Stall them? Give their hivemind a headache?

Flo_Evans

Hmmm. This is a magnificent point. I wish I had made mention of it in my "30 or Bust" guide section. Everyone that cares about getting to 30 ASAP read this comment, for seriously.

You should also note (not sure if you did) the raid helm only drops in hard. So an exotic helm should be top priority until you can run hard mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom