• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid: PS4 controller prototype & devkit photo, [Up: New Photo/Info In OP]

Orayn

I hope they rubberise the analogue sticks mind, unless they already are but just not visible in the pic. All it needs now is proper triggers for L2/R2 and it's a home run!

The analogs are probably the least final thing about prototype controllers, and everyone who's been hands-on says the triggers are great, so... Time for Sony to start circling the bases.

DBT85

The weird stick ridge looks a lot more useable with the new angle. You can definitely tell it's a lot more ergonomic easier than in the first shot.

Is it just me or do the face buttons look significantly more raised than on the DS3?

The face buttons look taller because of the reflection on the glossy black surface under them.

Oppo

Also to people telling that mic must be tiny :

pseye1.jpg

Good mic neeed to be bigger than puny vita or PSP one.

Not true.

The ones on the iMacs/MacBooks are so tiny as to be almost invisible to the eye, like microscopic pinholes, but they work really well.

Now, that 4-mic array on the Eye is definitely a good idea for capturing sound from across the room. Reflections and such. But up close you really don't need a big pickup.

I hope the jack is a 3-striped style like iPhone, if I can use my iPhone headset (not the stock one, come on now) that will be really great.

They should just make it like the 360 controller with better d pad and add whatever touchpad they want to it. this is an improvement for sure but I think the 360 had the core design perfect.

monome

Even better from this angle. Far more ergonomic looking! Big improvement over the DS3 imo, what looks to be slightly longer palm handles too.

original.jpg

looking good. and matte. yeah baby.

what's the fuss over the jack input? sound will be wirelessly transmitted to the controller?

just want those handles to feel comfortable. they looks alittle bulbous and meh.

overall happy with design though.

trackpad is a bit small imo.

Salaadin

I was just considering that after seeing the PSEYE photo...

If that is it's purpose, then I hope the system comes bundled with a headset. Otherwise I can't wait for other devs to add tacky noises to it. :p
If thats a built in mic and its good enough, why would we even need an included headset? For me, the bult in mic + a pair of headphones of my choosing would be ideal because it wont cost me anything extra.

new pic looks much better, but why does it have 5 wires coming out of it?
Wireless is a last gen feature.

1-D_FTW

What cameras are you guys talking about? The little nubs on the controller? Digital Foundry speculated they just might be part of the Wifi and bluetooth antennaes.

If you're talking about the cameras in the console itself, no way is that comparable to Leap. Leap has a very small coverage area. It's incredibly accurate, but also incredibly small. It doesn't work from half a room away.

EDIT: Although why would that controller need wifi in it. Seems suspect.

nataku

^nice
I like how the gloss finish extends around the buttons and d-pad.

With regard to the prototype: The touch portion being gloss, with the adjacent regions matte, looks a bit "busy" to my eye.

Please no.

A glossy finish on things you hold in your hands is the worst idea ever. I really wish companies would stop doing it. It looks great all polished up, but looks terrible as soon as you get a few fingerprints on it.

Robot Pants

Guys, if that speaker on the controller is really a mic, it's not gonna pick up shit. Think about how you hold and controller when you play, and think about how low. Now think about how when you have a headset all the up to your mouth it still struggles to pick up clearly.
It's a speaker.

Orayn

The handles look kind of like a straighter version of what the legendary Logitech wireless PS2 controller had.

RIjKwdf.gif

jack nicholson nodding.gif

Oppo

Guys, if that speaker on the controller is really a mic, it's not gonna pick up shit. Think about how you hold and controller when you play, and think about how low. Now think about how when you have a headset all the up to your mouth it still struggles to pick up clearly.
It's a speaker.

That's silly. Ever use the speakerphone mode on your smartphone? it could easily be a mic.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I still would like to see the real or at least the potencial use of that touch surface

I do not own a Wii U but at least I can see such big touch surface having some potencial for creative designers

in this case, it is so small that you really have to be creative (thats what she said... sorry)
Doesn't need to be particularly creative to make it useful...it could be useful in fairly mundane ways...pinch-zoom for maps, swiping/scrolling through menus/inventory, additional context-based soft buttons (split the touchpad down the middle, map left half to one action, right half to another), etc.

fuenf

It's a speaker.

I'd hate it to be a mic, any public online chat would be drowned out by background noise. The Eyetoy users on PS3 were already bad enough.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
We have three pictures, but not one from the rear or side?

TCRS

Banned
quite bulky, I like that (I think). stick layout hasn't changed (to be expected but I was kind of hoping) but that might be less of an issue with the bulky design.

Orayn

It's a speaker.

We have every indication that it's a speaker since there's already a microphone array on the Playstation Eye successor and a small mic wouldn't need a big grill like that.

That aside, if it was a mic, it could still pick up your voice just fine. Some types of mics are designed to pick up sound perpendicular to their surface.

The controller bits are all legit. Including the speaker that will be used for some neat things. Most importantly is that it feels great in your hands and the triggers and d-pad are perfect. Analog has no dead zones which kills the DS3 automatically for shooters alone with that fact. Every game should control better with this pad.

Can't say anything on the dev kit though.

Wait, are you admitting to having hands on with this thing?

Top Bottom