• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

Anth0ny

Small children probably, they're easily pleased, and have tiny hands.

But weirdly enough they were missing from the reveal trailer. I was expecting happy families, small children, mini games and a really weird gimmick. I was also expecting a brightly colored piece of plastic too. But instead we get a modern (for Nintendo) design, skyrim, and older (for Nintendo) audience.

To me that in-car play screams kids in the back of a car being entertained, not mid twenty hipsters on a road trip. Ipads are popular but I don't think every family has one for each child, and 3ds consoles mean having to buy one each, so rather than argue about who get's to use what they can play together on the switch, makes sense.

yeah, I think the sideway joycons could be a hit with kids. not something for adult hands, I think.

there is a WAY better chance of, say, an 8 year old kid bringing his switch to school/friends house and splitting off the joy pads with a friend rather than... attractive 20 somethings at a rooftop party playing it outside together :p

sonto340

It's also probably because Nintendo knows that playing the Switch as a console with the 2 joycons held separately and apart in each hand is not a comfortable experience for a lot of consumers. People want the stability and tradition of one controller in their hand and in console mode, the joycon grip provides that.
I couldn't disagree more. The most comfortable.I've ever been is playing mario galaxy with the Wii mote and nunchuck at my side like the guy on the plane. I imagine I'll do a lot of playing like that.

watershed

Banned
Based on what? The Wii literally had people playing with a split controller and the lack of "stability" was never a complaint

But being able to hold your hands apart was one of the best things about Wii :(

Based on almost all other controllers aside from the Wii being single units and the fact that this is a grip meant to offer a more comfortable controller to hold as all grips are intended to do. It's probably a cheaper alternative to the pro controller which will also charge the joycons.

Azriell

I don't get the grip. Why not just get a Pro Controller?

Nintendo has said that it's a home console first, but in order to use it as such you either have to use detached Joy Cons, Joy Con Grip, or the Pro. People with large hands will likely not want to use detached Joy Cons, which means they either need a Grip or a Pro. The Grip is probably cheaper to produce and also allows them to sell a premium controller to those who are interested.

Basically the Joy Cons are already in the box, so why not try to use them to solve the problem?

Biske

For folks complaining about size, why do we assume these will be the only controllers for the system? They could easily make different types to slide on. Like the fat hands/comfort joy con model.

Nags

Banned
For folks complaining about size, why do we assume these will be the only controllers for the system? They could easily make different types to slide on. Like the fat hands/comfort joy con model.

The last thing this system needs is more dumb attachments to fumble around with.

ggx2ac

Nintendo has said that it's a home console first, but in order to use it as such you either have to use detached Joy Cons, Joy Con Grip, or the Pro. People with large hands will likely not want to use detached Joy Cons, which means they either need a Grip or a Pro. The Grip is probably cheaper to produce and also allows them to sell a premium controller to those who are interested.

Basically the Joy Cons are already in the box, so why not try to use them to solve the problem?

There's no point releasing a Grip if people would have preference for the Pro Controller because of wanting to hold a traditional controller at home.

The only likely reason there is a Grip is because the Joy-Cons have motion controls which you'd want to use with the Grip if you wanted to play Splatoon with gyro controls as though you were using the Wii U Gamepad.

I highly doubt there will be gyro controls in the Pro Controller considering the Wii U Pro Controller.

Referencing this post again which has the relevant quote from LPVG that motion controls are still around: http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=221098938

With regards to another post, I was wondering how the Joy-Cons charge the batteries in them, we never saw any ports inside them. It makes me think there are connectors that are in the same place where you slide it on the Switch. That way, when the Switch is docked, it charges the Joy-Cons through those connectors.

This would mean it is possible that the Grip could have its own battery in it as some people suggested but I still think not. I think that the Grip is literally a Grip but I think someone pointed out it has a port on it so that means you'd be able to charge the Joy-Cons through the Grip as well because of the connectors I mentioned.

Was looking at the parts of the video where the lateral sides of the Switch are exposed when the Joycons are removed. Assuming that at the least Nintendo was using actual production models at the comercial, i couldn't see any metal type plates or connectors like "Pogos". So it brings up the question of what type of physical connection the device uses, for the Joycons if any at all.

So maybe there's still the posibilty the Joycon use IR when attached and default to BlueTooth when detached for Wireless Play.

On the other hand and possibly debunking the above assertion, one has to wonder how the controllers recharge when in the dock, since it would need a metal type connection to transfer energy? Is it a passtrough via the Switch itself or at the bottom of each Joycon? On second taught is not at the bottom of the controller since they stick out of the dock when attached.

Edit: The other possibility is inducting charging for the Joycons, but that is a bit more expensive, yet it would be consistent with not seing metal type connectors.

One question remains: Can you use those buttons in Wiimote-mode? Technically you could reach both L-button with each index finger.
Are you refering to the possible R and L shoulders in the sliding part of each Joycon that we were discussing?

Well, looking at the part where the user is playing Skyrim on the plane, you can clearly see how the hands warp around the controller when used Wii Remote style. For what i can see the Shoulder and Trigger are both made to be pressed by the index finger (contrary to the Wii U), so the middle finger lays really close to the top Shoulder button on the rail and the ring and pinky finger lay close to the hyphotetical bottom Shoulder button on the rail.

I like the Pro Controller! I just hope the D-pad is a bit more 'rounded' around the edges. Using the D-pad on the Pro Controller for the Wii U was quite painful for me for certain games (Street Fighter).

The joy cons look pretty small, and I have a feeling they will get lost easily if kids use them. Hopefully they'll be easily replaceable and not too expensive!

yeah, I think the sideway joycons could be a hit with kids. not something for adult hands, I think.

there is a WAY better chance of, say, an 8 year old kid bringing his switch to school/friends house and splitting off the joy pads with a friend rather than... attractive 20 somethings at a rooftop party playing it outside together :p

Unfortunately.

--
The JoyCon might be comfortable enough for short bursts.

EDarkness

I hope they have larger versions of the Joy-Cons that look like updated remote and nunchuck. I'd want to use them as a split controller, but the size is a little small. If nothing else, an option for bigger controller parts would be good.

Speely

Banned
I hope they have larger versions of the Joy-Cons that look like updated remote and nunchuck. I'd want to use them as a split controller, but the size is a little small. If nothing else, an option for bigger controller parts would be good.

I'd like that too. Watching the video, you can see that when it's docked, there's about an inch of clearance between the bottom of the docking slot and the bottom of the unit, meaning that if we assume that undocking is always done by slotting the joy cons first, they could make them at least 2 inches longer (more if they wanted to have the tops of the joy cons extend farther asymmetrically from the bottom, even though that would look sillier still.)

Red Devil

Couldn't there be like third party grips for the Joy-Con L/R?

Glass Joe

I feel like Nintendo have to include 1 pro controller with every console.
For various reasons it seems like a better option for those that play at home.

I feel that your demand is not going to be met. It's obvious that the Joy-con peripheral (middle segment) connects the other joy-cons for a reason... a fundamental part of the concept.

The pro controller is assumed to be a player 2 controller, or an alternative for those wanting to pay for it.

KrawlMan

Is everyone assuming what we saw is the final product of the Switch?

I am. This isn't more than a year out, this is < 6 months.

This is either the final product or very similar to it. For instance having Nintendo Switch as a huge logo righton the dock may be subject to change (as I've mentioned elsewhere I find it offensively large), but the controllers and general form factor won't change.

Peléo

I'm extremely curious to see how the Joy-Con feels when separated. Loved playing with two separate controllers in each hand during the Wii-Mote + Nunchuk era.

If it feels good I might end up ditching the Pro Controller and using this setup instead.

Speely

Banned
I am. This isn't more than a year out, this is < 6 months.

This is either the final product or very similar to it. For instance having Nintendo Switch as a huge logo righton the dock may be subject to change (as I've mentioned elsewhere I find it offensively large), but the controllers and general form factor won't change.

This. Minor cosmetic stuff will probably be subject to change based on feedback from the trailer (actually it almost certainly will,) but the overall design is set. They have to actually manufacture them, after all :p

Branduil

It's interesting that this will be the first handheld with controller parity with home consoles(I guess the Game Boy technically did too for a very short time). Even Sony was weirdly hesitant with the Vita to give it all of the same buttons as the Playstation; N3DS came close but has a tiny nub instead of a full right stick and no stick clicks.

That's one less thing for third parties to worry about, I suppose. I'm still hoping one of the unrevealed features is touch-sensitive shoulder bumpers that can be used as virtual scroll wheels.

scitek

It has to be, right? I highly doubt they would have created this as a one-off or used some weird contraption to showcase this super-specific case. I can totally see this being an available-at-launch accessory.

I highly doubt they'd go through the trouble of showing people playing Skyrim on this thing unless it was a sure thing, too, but alas...

KrawlMan

This looks totally like a prototype. Look at the shitty plastic marks and rough buttons.

Unless we're talking about different things, I'm pretty sure those shitty plastic marks are just the hardware through translucent plastic. I'm sure it's a prototype, but I'm not expecting it to look much different .

Glass Joe

Im thinking the same thing. I also think the color we see there is not final.

Probably not final, but I think the "markings" are actually the inside of the controller. They used a see-thru plastic on the mock-up like they did a lot in the N64 days.

AzaK

Do the joycons have to be taken off when docked?
Ie can someone play on a pro controller at home, then pick up the screen and immediately play portable?
Withiout the farting around disconnecting and reconnecting joycons.

Too right.

Who in their right mind is going to try and play with that tiny thing.
And who outside of Donald Trump has hands small enough for it to be comfortable?

It would have been OK if they had have used children. Then it would make sense to take it in the car on a journey and let the kids play.

Which is why they don't need to include it. For those that deem it essential, Nintendo can sell it separately, meanwhile it's not really a part of the core concept so not including it won't seem like they are being cheap or sending mixed marketing messages.

Does anyone know yet if the Wii U pro controller will work with this?

They wont risk using anything Wii related on this thing... It would be a marketing nightmare for them to associate wii remotes or wii u pro controllers.

The most likely want people to use joy cons or switch pro controller sonly to eliminate any cross branding bs

This was probably already brought up but I don't have the time to scour through right now.

I need to reference this rumour from LPVG:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

I was thinking about Splatoon and how the game relies on gyro controls. They showed in the trailer players using the pro controllers though.

It's very likely the pro controllers for Switch will be the same as the one for Wii U by having no motion controls.

So then how would I play Splatoon with gyro controls? Using the Joy-Con grip.

It somewhat didn't make sense at first why there was a Grip for the Joy-Cons and a separate Pro Controller. Why bother making a Grip in the first place when people are having preference for the Pro Controller for something traditional?

It most likely has to be that with the above rumours, the Joy-Con Grip acts like the Wii U Gamepad when the Joy-Cons are attached so you can have motion controls for games like Splatoon while the Switch is docked.
Let's not confuse the brand now, let's do it later lol. Ok.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Imo it would only make sense for the Joycons to have gyro by themselves, it would translate to both mobile and Joycon Grip mode then without it being a missing feature for any of the two.

Basically the opposite reason is making me think there'll be no touch, 'cause that would then be a huge missing feature from all games when docked.

ggx2ac

Let's not confuse the brand now, let's do it later lol. Ok.

It's understandable, they're showing off the concept of the Switch but, they showed no touch screen controls and no Wii motion controls because the mainstream that thought the Wii U was an accessory for the Wii probably would've thought the same thing regarding Switch as though it is a new Wii or DS. The point of the ad is showing how the Switch is a new console and as Kimishima/Iwata have said, something that is not supposed to be a replacement for the Wii U/3DS which people here are interpreting as third pillar being a hybrid.

Yes, we know NoA are calling it a home gaming system but that isn't the case in Japan with NCL. They don't associate Switch with home consoles because home console gaming is dead there.

We'll just end up finding out about the motion controls and touch screen controls in their full reveal of the Switch probably as they do it in relation to specific software, i.e. Ubisoft for motion controls, Puzzle and Dragons for touch screen controls. (Don't forget it mentioned Gung Ho as one of the third party partners for Switch.)

jobrro

Hoping for some support for Wii and Wii U accessories for some multiplayer titles.

I can see why they wouldn't show off compatibility in promo videos - they are best distancing themselves from Wii branding and compatibility shouldn't be at the forefront. Maybe the information will be hidden away in some large tell all FAQ in early 2017.

The new joypads look fine, though I wouldn't want to use them like they did when playing that NBA game unless in a serious pinch and wanting multiplayer, looks tiny like that controller for the mini Famicom that just released.

Also can that guy really play with detached controllers on the plane? Wouldn't that be classed as a transmitting device? Maybe not as bad as a cell signal maybe... I guess many planes have onboard WiFi now so it's probably fine.

TheMoon

It seems the stick and the buttons are uncomfortably close together when you use a single Joy-con, but we'll see.

That's why it'll be limited to simplistic local mp games and you bring your own full controller for all other multiplayer games like with every other console on the planet. It's just an additional option.

The last thing this system needs is more dumb attachments to fumble around with.

You don't get it. Not a daisy chain of attachment on attachment, one instead of the other.

tumblr_ofcp4n6LL81t0grs4o1_1280.jpg

Wavebird reborn!
So this is a separate accessory and doesn't come with the console? Bad move, I feel.

Peterc

I like the Pro Controller! I just hope the D-pad is a bit more 'rounded' around the edges. Using the D-pad on the Pro Controller for the Wii U was quite painful for me for certain games (Street Fighter).

The joy cons look pretty small, and I have a feeling they will get lost easily if kids use them. Hopefully they'll be easily replaceable and not too expensive!

I agree, the dpad was to small on the wiiu pro controller. It also fails on xbox one. It has that enoying clicking sound on it and doesn't feel great(and thats not the only issue on xbox/wiiu pro cintroller). It looks like switch pro controller could be the first one thats perfect, but we only can say this once we have got playing with it.

If they decide not to include it I would quite frankly base the decision on greed rather than strategy. Having to play games at home out of the box with joy-cons in each hand is too reminiscent of the Wii, which they're supposedly wanting to distance themselves from.

Was anyone playing the system in the trailer shown using the joy-cons in the home? I don't think they were, so the grip must surely come packed in and the pro controller available separately.

TheMoon

I agree, the dpad was to small on the wiiu pro controller. It also fails on xbox one. It has that enoying clicking sound on it and doesn't feel great(and thats not the only issue on xbox/wiiu pro cintroller). It looks like switch pro controller could be the first one thats perfect, but we only can say this once we have got playing with it.

wtf no way lol

GCN and Wiimote d-pads were too small but the pro controller? nah.

The split controllers for multiplayer might look dinky, but they aren't dissimilar to an original NES controller in size. Yes, not every controller, especially simple ones for party games, needs to be some bulky ergonomic contoured design.

I think it's a great design. Everything about this is impressing me except the rumored battery life.

TheMoon

I will avatar bet right now that the grip comes with the base SKU when the Switch launches.

same. or at the very least they might have another "basic" vs "premium/deluxe" SKU split with the latter having all the convenience accessories like the grip. one way or another, you will have an option to buy the grip as part of the console SKU.

Top Bottom