• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

You probably don't. This is basically the successor to wiimote-only multiplayer in the previous two consoles. If everything controlled great with one of them, having the standard control set be two of them would be pretty pointless.

I think it would be pretty weird if the "single con" mode introduced new types of input not available during regular two-con or pro controller play.

If they were symmetric when attached to the main Switch unit, once detached the person using Joy-con R would have the analog stick on the right and buttons on the left.

I also think the Wii U's symmetric upper sticks had a lot to do with trying to get the sticks as far from the touch screen as possible so they didn't interfere with accessing that. Though I guess if that's true, it's maybe another indication that they don't consider touch a big deal this time.

To be honest I went straight for joy-con sizes there and didn't even see that they'd concluded the screen was 6.56". Here's an alternate take, where I've scaled the joy-cons from my previous image to 94.5% width and height, which would fit with a 6.2" screen.
hG5YtxP.jpg

Probably to demonstrate that the Grip is optional.

What? Just flip it over so the stick is on the left.

My concern is that the joycon for player 2 has an analog stick smack dab in the center of the damn controller. What the hell is that shit? These controllers should be identical. I don't care how they connect to the tablet.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
These little controllers look uncomfortable to me. For one, because the buttons aren't centered, but also because half the controller is rounded while the other half has sharp corners.

My biggest problem is how one of those controllers has the analog stick dead center. Why couldn't they have both been symmetrically identical? Why not both be more like NES controllers. How important is it to have the analog stick below the buttons on the right side?

Ick.

That's actually a good point. if they had just stuck with the Wii U Gamepad's stick & button layout both sides of the Joy-Con would have been practically identical outside of the curvature of the casing.

E755HRV.png

mugwhump

You can buy a 3 x accel. + 3 x gyro MEMS chip for 1-2$. I'm pretty sure it's less than .50c for an hardware maker. Even adding magnetometer wouldn't increase the price much.

They've really come down since the Wii days. If that's the case I'm positive each joycon will have motion.

It did, and according to to the company that made it it supposedly was more advanced than what the Sony Move had because of the gamepad allowing a larger magnetometer.

Intredasting. I wonder if the technology's come far enough since 2012 that they can now put a gamepad-tier magnetometer in each joypac.

I also wonder if this will finally be the gen when they ditch the sensor bar.

The local multiplayer games with the joycons (what a name ffs) are gonna be slimmed down and simplified gameplay wise.

- TV MP with 2 grip or pro controllers: normal gameplay

- Tablet MP with Joycons(jesus fuck): auto drifting in Mario Kart for example.

Local tablet mp is gonna be a cute extra, and not all games are gonna support it.

Doesn't make sense to force devs to use all the gimmicks.

Mario Kart would be perfectly playable on a single joycon without compromises. And it will be glorious.

ggx2ac

This was probably already brought up but I don't have the time to scour through right now.

I need to reference this rumour from LPVG:

In short, our rumour stated that the Switch Joy-Cons would feature motion control and rumble support. I believe this is still accurate.
Our sources on this report were Sources A and B (Nintendo and Ubisoft). We have been given no reason at this point to suspect either source as inaccurate. Source B (Ubisoft) claims that the current version of Just Dance in development supports Wii Remotes, or Joy-Cons, for multiplayer play. Source A (Nintendo) confirmed Wii Remote support on dev kit, and confirmed the Joy-Cons as phasing out Wii Remotes over time. So, why not show that in the reveal trailer?
I asked Source A (Nintendo) why motion control support was not addressed in the reveal trailer. They said that the purpose of the reveal trailer was to show the console’s unique selling point in as focused a manner as possible. They say that motion support will be confirmed closer to launch, but that Nintendo does not want the brand messaging around the Switch confused at this early stage.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

I was thinking about Splatoon and how the game relies on gyro controls. They showed in the trailer players using the pro controllers though.

It's very likely the pro controllers for Switch will be the same as the one for Wii U by having no motion controls.

So then how would I play Splatoon with gyro controls? Using the Joy-Con grip.

It somewhat didn't make sense at first why there was a Grip for the Joy-Cons and a separate Pro Controller. Why bother making a Grip in the first place when people are having preference for the Pro Controller for something traditional?

It most likely has to be that with the above rumours, the Joy-Con Grip acts like the Wii U Gamepad when the Joy-Cons are attached so you can have motion controls for games like Splatoon while the Switch is docked.

LordKasual

Banned
Christ that D-pad is atrocious lol.

The Local Multiplayer capabilities are honestly the coolest thing about this system.

ggx2ac

That would mean the grip would be included with the system so you can make a full controller.

There's only confirmation from Takashi Mochizuki at WSJ that Switch comes with the Joy-Cons and Dock but unsure of other accessories.

That's where they are deciding based on region what kind of SKUs there will be. There could be a package that comes with the Grip possibly, don't know yet.

When I think about Japan and Splatoon, they'd have to bundle the Grip because of how popular it is there but, then again. Japan loves handheld gaming too, so the Splatoon controls work fine with the Joy-Cons attached to the Switch when not docked.

Somnid

This was probably already brought up but I don't have the time to scour through right now.

I need to reference this rumour from LPVG:

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

I was thinking about Splatoon and how the game relies on gyro controls. They showed in the trailer players using the pro controllers though.

It's very likely the pro controllers for Switch will be the same as the one for Wii U by having no motion controls.

So then how would I play Splatoon with gyro controls? Using the Joy-Con grip.

It somewhat didn't make sense at first why there was a Grip for the Joy-Cons and a separate Pro Controller. Why bother making a Grip in the first place when people are having preference for the Pro Controller for something traditional?

It most likely has to be that with the above rumours, the Joy-Con Grip acts like the Wii U Gamepad when the Joy-Cons are attached so you can have motion controls for games like Splatoon.

It seems most likely the joy-cons have accelerometers at the least, maybe even gyros, though I'd somewhat doubt compasses for cost/value reasons. These aren't big or expensive so it is feasible to put them in. Rumble would be pretty crazy, I highly doubt they have rumble motors in the joy-cons and if they did and could still keep enough battery to last a full portable battery session that would be quite a feat.

The grip is almost certainly a battery pack because the joy-con will be limited in battery capacity by size. My guess is if the console can only last ~3 hours on battery the joy-con will deplete at a similar rate and will spend most of the time sipping the battery from the console or the grip to maintain a full charge for when you truly need it, Maybe the grip has other hardware like rumble or a touch pad or something, but I don't think you would get motion in one scenario but not the other. I'd certainly hope the pro controller has motion sensors this time around, it should be the stock standard for a controller releasing in 2017. "Pro" is kinda the opposite of "cost-saving."

Nags

Banned
This is such a fucking messy design. Have fun juggling 2 additional parts with your "portatble" tablet.

Nags

Banned
For someone that doesn't like anything about the Switch you sure spend a lot of time posting about it.

I still plan on buying one but haven't seen the games yet. Better get use to it, I'll be voicing my opinion about the shitty design.

OCD Guy

I haven't seen the games yet.

That's fair enough, but will it matter?

I might be well off here, but it seems at times that some people probably won't buy it regardless. Which is fine, I can see why people don't like Nintendo products or the type of games they produce.

I still plan on buying one.

Ok fair enough, I just didn't get that impression when you posted:

This is such a fucking messy design. Have fun juggling 2 additional parts with your "portatble" tablet.

I took the above as a comment aimed at people who were buying the Switch, but appreciate sometimes written words can be mis-interpreted.

Nags

Banned
That's fair enough, but will it matter?

I might be well off here, but it seems at times that some people probably won't buy it regardless. Which is fine, I can see why people don't like Nintendo products or the type of games they produce.

Ok fair enough, I just didn't get that impression when you posted:

I took the above as a comment aimed at people who were buying the Switch, but appreciate sometimes written words can be mis-interpreted.

It's aimed at anyone expecting this to be a replacement for 3DS.

dan2026

I feel like Nintendo have to include 1 pro controller with every console.
For various reasons it seems like a better option for those that play at home.

Do the joycons have to be taken off when docked?
Ie can someone play on a pro controller at home, then pick up the screen and immediately play portable?
Withiout the farting around disconnecting and reconnecting joycons.

rL6mhIk.png

This is true comedy. Whatever time they spent solving for this possibility to play with a single joy-con was not worth it.

Too right.

Who in their right mind is going to try and play with that tiny thing.
And who outside of Donald Trump has hands small enough for it to be comfortable?

OCD Guy

Too right.

And who outside of Donald Trump has hands small enough for it to be comfortable?

Small children probably, they're easily pleased, and have tiny hands.

But weirdly enough they were missing from the reveal trailer. I was expecting happy families, small children, mini games and a really weird gimmick. I was also expecting a brightly colored piece of plastic too. But instead we get a modern (for Nintendo) design, skyrim, and older (for Nintendo) audience.

To me that in-car play screams kids in the back of a car being entertained, not mid twenty hipsters on a road trip. Ipads are popular but I don't think every family has one for each child, and 3ds consoles mean having to buy one each, so rather than argue about who get's to use what they can play together on the switch, makes sense.

CvN3ugeVIAAPJi1.jpg

the middle bit is calle dthe joy con. Why would a simple battery pack be called the joycon? I think the grip with the handle is separate like a wii wheel and the joycon itself is the actual controller and has some hidden features we do not yet know about.

R87pvCq.png

Look at it here, it looks like it can come off from the controller grip.

1. It can either come off and be used as a battery pack to charge the NS handheld for another 3-5 hours extra play time (but I cant see any usb c or other ports around it so far, but it could be on the right hand side. SInce it is already a battery then it might as well have extra uses.

2. It has a touchpad. the joycon can be used on its own as a touchpad to be able to play games that need touch controls so it can transition into the tv better. Not sure if this is possible.

The joycon L and R themselves already have the ability to connect to the console and have batteries, the JOYCON is not just a charger, otherwise it would just be called a battery pack.

Do the joycons have to be taken off when docked?
Ie can someone play on a pro controller at home, then pick up the screen and immediately play portable?
Withiout the farting around disconnecting and reconnecting joycons.

Watch the trailer again, specifically the airplane Skyrim segment. When they guy gets back to his apartment, he drops it in the dock with the Joy-Cons still attached and plays with a pro controller.

Somnid

rL6mhIk.png

This is true comedy. Whatever time they spent solving for this possibility to play with a single joy-con was not worth it.

"Solving for?" They've had Wiimote controls since MK Wii. The Joy-con is an extension of that and seems to actually have real L/R buttons in addition to analog controls.

What is more interesting: will that headrest mount be an official accessory?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
"Solving for?" They've had Wiimote controls since MK Wii. The Joy-con is an extension of that and seems to actually have real L/R buttons in addition to analog controls.

What is more interesting: will that headrest mount be an official accessory?

It has to be, right? I highly doubt they would have created this as a one-off or used some weird contraption to showcase this super-specific case. I can totally see this being an available-at-launch accessory.

sanstesy

Too right.

Yeah, I play multiplayer games on one iPhone 6 Plus screen with people on work all the time and literally no one cares about the screen size while doing so. And the comfortability of the JoyCons sideways has yet to be determined.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I saw people play the GBA Micro just fine. If they can do that, they can play with those mini-cons.

I won't as my fingers are too long and it would be uncomfortable for me. Instead, I hope that there is backward compatibility with the Wii U Pro Controller and I can just keep using that. Bluetooth and all that gives me hope, though I don't expect it to be true because "ha ha, buy new things instead".

kinn

CvN3ugeVIAAPJi1.jpg

the middle bit is calle dthe joy con. Why would a simple battery pack be called the joycon? I think the grip with the handle is separate like a wii wheel and the joycon itself is the actual controller and has some hidden features we do not yet know about.

R87pvCq.png

Look at it here, it looks like it can come off from the controller grip.

1. It can either come off and be used as a battery pack to charge the NS handheld for another 3-5 hours extra play time (but I cant see any usb c or other ports around it so far, but it could be on the right hand side. SInce it is already a battery then it might as well have extra uses.

2. It has a touchpad. the joycon can be used on its own as a touchpad to be able to play games that need touch controls so it can transition into the tv better. Not sure if this is possible.

The joycon L and R themselves already have the ability to connect to the console and have batteries, the JOYCON is not just a charger, otherwise it would just be called a battery pack.

Could it be connected to the Switch on the sides? ie goes between the screen and the controllers?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
doubt it. looks to me that its just a grip with possibly a battery in the middle to charge the L & R Joycons

Bingo. The lights obviously aren't player indicators in the first place, but charging status of the Joycons. It's basically a powerbank mounted on the joypad shell, which is actually pretty clever.

I can imagine an amiibo NFC thing in there, too, maybe, but if I'd have to bet I'd say that's probably in one of the joycons or the console itself.

So what you're saying is, motion/IR FPS might be a thing again? Because COD on Wii was heaven from the short while I played it.

It's exactly what I predicted. Split controllers each with four face buttons and a stick, a battery hub for use when unattached from the screen, and with each mini controller being used for multiplayer. All the arguing in the EG leak thread was worth it for this moment of glory. GLORY.
In reality is more an accomplishment for Eurogamer and it's source, anyone that did a mock up as close as that report got super close to the final product.

About the "JoyGrip" having a battery, can we be so sure? Just think about that it seems the Joycons have built in batteries, so we are talking about 3 batteries plus one in the grip as you asumme for a total of 4 to be packed with the Switch. Batteries are not cheap and are mostly a fixed cost in relation to other components that come down in price.

The multiplayer they are touting just creates more complexity (and yes more options) for developers to headache over when they think about if they want to port their games to this new, unproven platform. I see only Nintendo supporting its creativity with this.

Can you connect 4 pro controllers to one system? Do you have to use the detached joy-cons for 2+ players?

What I'm wondering here is why does the Joy-Con Grip have two lines of LEDs? Wouldn't one be enough?

Has anyone figured out what the 8 lights on the Joy Con grip are for?
The guess about the LEDs in the JoyGrip do:
  • 1. Indicates the controller order for a JoyGrip a player is using out of a possible 4.
  • 2. There are 2 colums of 4 LEDs to indicate that both JoyCon R and JoyCon L are correctly attached.
  • 3. The battery indication will be tied to LED color and not to the amount of LEDs tuned on.
The reasoning for #3 or the LEDs just not been for battery mainly, is because in the trailer we would have seen all the LEDs lighted in the Grip to indicate that is fully charged. Instead we only see the 2 top ones, thus indicating is player 1 with the JoyL and JoyR correctly attached.

I hate analog sticks that are not on the same level. It's why I never play anything on Xbox.

Disappointing to see, maybe next time.

Did they use Xbox triggers too? Almost a complete replica of X1 pad.

Reaffirms asymmetrical sticks are the best.
The stick position is not symmetrical and is stacked lined above the action buttons because it was a necessary compromise for the 2 player local multiplayer with the 2 Joycon halves. It was the only way to reach control parity for each player in this situation.

So Jumeira, it is not a confirmation that "assymetrical sticks are the best". XD

Sorry if it was already discussed:

If I remeber correctly, there was a rumor/patent about the Joy-Cons pre-reveal stating that they possibly have no electrical parts at all inside of them and that button presses would be recognised by some IR and mirror device inside of the tablet or grip controller.

Since the trailer shows people playing with the Joy-Cons detached from any other hardware, this rumor must be false, right? It would also mean that each Joy-Con needs its own battery. I'm a litte concerned about that.
This is something i mentioned in a previous message, was looking at some indication of an IR sensor window in the sides of the Joycons or the Switch itself. There are 2 benefits of having this: Cheap to manufacture controllers and lower battery consumption if the Joycons communicate via IR when attached.

However, even if is indeed using IR in some way, the Joycons would need their own batteries anyway to be used in the variety of ways we are seen.

watershed

Banned
The center of the joycon grip looks like a battery itself. It would be cool if charged the actual joycons. I just hope the grip is comfortable.

Caelus

Couldn't they just do that without the grip?

It's nice to have options. You can use the joycons with the grip and feel that's sufficient to serve as a traditional interface, or just play split control style. Also a nice place to hold the two joycons if you don't want them hanging off the sides of the Switch when docked.

watershed

Banned
Couldn't they just do that without the grip? I guess maybe it's a battery issue?

It's also probably because Nintendo knows that playing the Switch as a console with the 2 joycons held separately and apart in each hand is not a comfortable experience for a lot of consumers. People want the stability and tradition of one controller in their hand and in console mode, the joycon grip provides that.

It's also probably because Nintendo knows that playing the Switch as a console with the 2 joycons held separately and apart in each hand is not a comfortable experience for a lot of consumers. People want the stability and tradition of one controller in their hand and in console mode, the joycon grip provides that.

Based on what? The Wii literally had people playing with a split controller and the lack of "stability" was never a complaint

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
But being able to hold your hands apart was one of the best things about Wii :(

Hatty

I think the grip looks pretty comfy honestly. Barring some terrible battery flaw the only benefit the pro controller has is the dpad

Top Bottom