• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Joy-Con controllers/Pro Controller for Nintendo Switch

Haunted

rL6mhIk.png

This is true comedy. Whatever time they spent solving for this possibility to play with a single joy-con was not worth it.
NRiLnbx.gif

hey man not every controller needs to be ergonomic

or usable for anyone who doesn't have baby hands

ggx2ac

I will avatar bet right now that the grip comes with the base SKU when the Switch launches.

Well, Nintendo reps did say in that interview with Famitsu that there could be different SKUs based on regions.

I wouldn't doubt that at least in Japan that there would be up to 3 different SKUs. Reason being is that Nintendo own a distributor there in Japan now so shipping stuff isn't going to be as costly there compared to shipping overseas.

So what I think at least for Japan is:

The "Regular" SKU: Switch, Joy-Cons, Dock.
The "Dockless" SKU: Switch and Joy-Cons only, it's much smaller in a box so they can ship a lot more especially for households that could have more than one Switch inside. (Remember, NCL aren't advertising it as a home gaming system in Japan.)

I just don't know about adding the Grip with the "Regular" SKU because we still don't know it's specs. The question is how much space is already being taken up in the box, you have the Switch, Joy-Cons, Dock, HDMI Cable, whatever the power adapter is going to be to charge without the dock. Adding the Grip would probably make the whole package as big as a Wii U box and I don't know if they want to go smaller to do a lot more units in one shipment for Europe, US etc. So this especially relates to the price of the whole package.

Speely

Banned
same. or at the very least they might have another "basic" vs "premium/deluxe" SKU split with the latter having all the convenience accessories like the grip. one way or another, you will have an option to buy the grip as part of the console SKU.

I hear ya. There may be multiple SKUs, and your example is reasonable. But I straight up think that when pre-orders go up, the SKU that will be offered first will include the grip. It's a fundamental part of selling the Switch as a home console. Without it, it is a portable out of the box.

Edit: ^^ ggx2ac: I guess I should clarify I mean in the U.S.

Kikorin

I played for years with Timesplitters 3 on Gamecube in local multy. I remember we were in 4 people playing on about 20" crt, was like play on a gameboy screen, but we had tons of fun.

Really hiped about the possibility to always have 2 pads to play with a friend. If you are at home you can use the classic pads that looks really comfortable and play on TV, but when you are out this looks great, especially because you'll probably will play this drunk with friends and none will care about comfort.

Monumma

I'd guess the grip will be bundled in the US/EU and not in Japan.

The Pro Pad will be clearly sold separately.

I also think that no market will get the separate charger in the package. The dock is enough (it wouldn't have been bundled here in Europe in any case, sadly).

EU/US
Tablet
Con L+R
Grip
Dock
HDMI cable
Power cable for the dock

Japan
Tablet
Con L+R
Dock
HDMI cable
Power cable for the dock

If there is the need for a sensor bar then it will be in both.

I dont think there will be multiple SKU at launch, just to keep the message as clear as possible.

ggx2ac

I forgot, going from my earlier post above. There are two cables coming out the back of the Dock at the beginning of the Switch Trailer, so there should be an HDMI Cable and a power adapter for the Dock, shouldn't be huge like the Wii U because that was a 75W(?) PSU whereas we have something that would probably be 25W max for the PSU when docked.

It makes me wonder if there will still be an adapter/usb cable packed-in for charging the Switch when you just want to play as a portable.

That's why as I said in my above post, I can see a "Dockless" SKU happening in Japan because the packaging would be so much smaller without the dock and all the cables. You just have the Switch, Joy-Cons and a power adapter for the Switch. That saves up so much space and let's the Switch be sold for much cheaper in Japan where it isn't being advertised as a home gaming system because home console gaming is dead there.

rL6mhIk.png

This is true comedy. Whatever time they spent solving for this possibility to play with a single joy-con was not worth it.

Kids. Family of 4 with two kids sitting in the backseat. If they can play smash brothers together or co op in some game? That'd be awesome.

I think the idea is also that a handheld is a solo device. you cannot play together, and often when you're waiting somewhere with someone, chances are they don't both have the same device and both have the same game.

here you can play together with someone else in a pinch. - be it with a girlfriend when taking the train, a sibling when crashing at home with the parents for the holidays, when sitting on the plane for 6 hours with a friend.

I think there are plenty of boring times when you're stationary, waiting and you're just waiting for time to pass with someone else. what else can you do? the ergonomics of the thing are indeed outrageous (I got large hands!) but I can see the appeal.
Previous handhelds, are very anti social devices.

But personally? A Switch XL would be very attractive!

Monumma

I forgot, going from my earlier post above. There are two cables coming out the back of the Dock at the beginning of the Switch Trailer, so there should be an HDMI Cable and a power adapter for the Dock, shouldn't be huge like the Wii U because that was a 75W(?) PSU whereas we have something that would probably be 25W max for the PSU when docked.

It makes me wonder if there will still be an adapter/usb cable for charging the Switch when you just want to play as a portable.

That's why as I said in my above post, I can see a "Dockless" SKU happening in Japan because the packaging would be so much smaller without the dock and all the cables. You just have the Switch, Joy-Cons and a power adapter for the Switch. That saves up so much space and let's the Switch be sold for much cheaper in Japan where it isn't being advertised as a home gaming system because home console gaming is dead there.

there is a separate cable (gif is from reddit):

7gxXoRv.gif

I dont see the dockless SKU sold from day one, but we'll see. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo market this in different parts of the world.

ramparter

Banned
Has anyone made a color mock up of the Switch promo photos with the SNES color scheme?
I don't know but I just made a N64 layout one. I'd really like to see something like this, finally making possible 100% authentic N64 controling.

The left one is just a Joycon with a dpad instead of the 4 buttons so I'd expect to see one like that being released for many purposes. The right one would probably be needed only for N64 games and they could bundle it with a code or two of N64 Virtual Console games in a nice retro looking package - they like to do those lately.

So, what do we suspect the dark square beneath the left-side buttons is?

It almost seems like it's an unfinished button, with a feature to be revealed later. Given its boring and weird design.

Surely the power button is on the main unit, as would you'd expect the NFC reader (which doesn't need a visible button anyway). It may work as a home button when separate, but what's the point in that when connected?

TV-Button perhaps? :p

It almost seems like it's an unfinished button, with a feature to be revealed later. Given its boring and weird design.

Surely the power button is on the main unit, as would you'd expect the NFC reader (which doesn't need a visible button anyway). It may work as a home button when separate, but what's the point in that when connected?

I WISH the Switch would have an IR blaster again. It was immensely useful on the Wii U

Regarding the joy-cons, + and - buttons could be to release from main unit. Round button is obviously Home, square button on left joy-con, hmmm... if it was a home button it would have a house on it like the other joy-con. The marking is a circle and it's within a square. Is there anything else in Nintendo's deepest lore that has this marking?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member

To be fair, it doesn't even say "undecided", just that they didn't give any official confirmation or information yet.

That's what many think. Given Nintendo's tradition with somewhat innovative or new software ideas, it's not too far fetched.

ggx2ac

there is a separate cable (gif is from reddit):

7gxXoRv.gif

I dont see the dockless SKU sold from day one, but we'll see. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo market this in different parts of the world.

I wonder if that is a USB cable since it looks like one.

Other than that, Capcom have an unannounced Monster Hunter game that is expected to be released by the end of their fiscal year in March. Monster Hunter Stories is already out and there hasn't been a Monster Hunter Cross G for announcement so...

It is possible this unannounced Monster Hunter is for the Switch and that's where I can easily see a Dockless SKU being sold in Japan at launch because we all know that the best selling Monster Hunter games have been on portables. The Dock isn't going to revive home consoles in Japan, the PS4 just finally beat Wii U in sales in Japan recently which shows how poor performing Home consoles are in Japan compared to portables and mobile.

ggx2ac

Regarding the joy-cons, + and - buttons could be to release from main unit. Round button is obviously Home, square button on left joy-con, hmmm... if it was a home button it would have a house on it like the other joy-con. The marking is a circle and it's within a square. Is there anything else in Nintendo's deepest lore that has this marking?

I made that mistake on reveal. The + and - are actual buttons, they are on the Pro Controller. In the gamexplain analysis video, they show there is a small black button underneath and to the side each of the trigger buttons. That's where you press to release the locks.

Speely

Banned

Share/Record

I made that mistake on reveal. The + and - are actual buttons, they are on the Pro Controller. In the gamexplain analysis video, they show there is a small black button underneath and to the side each of the trigger buttons. That's where you press to release the locks.

Woah! So that's three mystery buttons! :D

Need more info!!!

I'm surprised it too people this long to realize that's what they were. Considering the joypads slide upwards, without a locking mechanism the system would fall out anytime it was upright

ggx2ac

Woah! So that's three mystery buttons! :D

Need more info!!!

There's no mystery, it's already been leaked. I would call it a leak since Emily Rogers, Eurogamer, LPVG were right about their shit so there's no need to believe random NX "Leakers" on Twitter.

This article details what the button on the left Joy-Con does.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

While the “share” button I reported on is present on the controller, in the reveal trailer it does not feature a camera icon. I still believe that it is a share button in the same sense I initially reported it to be. I still believe that it will “allow the upload of still images and video directly to Miiverse, Twitter, Facebook or YouTube. It will also be possible to save images or video to external memory devices for easier transfer to PC.”

It would be really nice to finally be able to upload video footage of Nintendo games to YouTube without a capture unit.

The + and - buttons are obviously start and select buttons, and all there is on the right joy con is a home button.

There's no mystery, it's already been leaked. I would call it a leak since Emily Rogers, Eurogamer, LPVG were right about their shit so there's no need to believe random NX "Leakers" on Twitter.

This article details what the button on the left Joy-Con does.

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2016/10/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

It would be really nice to finally be able to upload video footage of Nintendo games to YouTube without a capture unit.

The + and - buttons are obviously start and select buttons, and all there is on the right joy con is a home button.

So it's likely just an unfinished design for a share-button? I have a hard time seeing Nintendo shipping a final product with that design. I'd expect the Miiverse logo or something. :-/

ggx2ac

So it's likely just an unfinished design for a share-button? I have a hard time seeing Nintendo shipping a final product with that design. I'd expect the Miiverse logo or something. :-/

We already know Nintendo reps have said they haven't revealed everything. In the Famitsu interview they refused to comment if the Switch would play mobile games. If the interviewers were aware of the leak of the button on the left joy con they would have refused to answer that too.

At least we have until late January next year I assume for the earliest that we can finally see a full reveal of the Switch like with how Wii U was fully revealed including pricing and SKUs two months before release.

Scrawnton

Have insiders confirmed motion for the JoyCon yet? I figure they'd have to be with Just Dancr already announced for the system.

ggx2ac

Have insiders confirmed motion for the JoyCon yet? I figure they'd have to be with Just Dancr already announced for the system.

Yes.

In short, our rumour stated that the Switch Joy-Cons would feature motion control and rumble support. I believe this is still accurate.

Our sources on this report were Sources A and B (Nintendo and Ubisoft). We have been given no reason at this point to suspect either source as inaccurate. Source B (Ubisoft) claims that the current version of Just Dance in development supports Wii Remotes, or Joy-Cons, for multiplayer play. Source A (Nintendo) confirmed Wii Remote support on dev kit, and confirmed the Joy-Cons as phasing out Wii Remotes over time. So, why not show that in the reveal trailer?
I asked Source A (Nintendo) why motion control support was not addressed in the reveal trailer. They said that the purpose of the reveal trailer was to show the console’s unique selling point in as focused a manner as possible. They say that motion support will be confirmed closer to launch, but that Nintendo does not want the brand messaging around the Switch confused at this early stage.
Source A (Nintendo) has since stated that the Splatoon and Mario Kart games in development, as well as Zelda: Breath of the Wild, will support motion control for things like gyro aiming, steering, use of the magnet ability in Zelda etc.

Read the rest of the article if you're not convinced of her track record.

tesla246

I do not believe the grip comes with the basic sku and here is why:

-Offer switch at a good price.
-Fo not allenieate their largest market (handheld).
-Offer something for both sides (handheld and console gamers)while beimg affordable.

In order to do this correctly, offer a basic sku for 199/250 (handheld gamer) and offer a sku with handheld, dock, and pro controller for 349/399 (console gamer).
Finally, offer the dock with pro controller for 100 for those who bought the 199 version and want to upgrade. (handheld gamers>console gamers, want extra experience).
At least this is how I would do it; the grip would just be an accessorie.

A "Social" or "Miiverse" button is the safest speculation. One can't expect that after all the time and resources poured into Nintendo's own social network for them to abandon it completely.

The button will jost stream line the process of a feature that was already available in it's previous console.

The release is a circular button on the underside of the Joycons and to the inner sides near the trigger, i' ll try to upload a picture later since it's a detail many missed in the video.

joyconreleasebuttonjvalo.jpg

It makes me wonder if there will still be an adapter/usb cable packed-in for charging the Switch when you just want to play as a portable.
It would be a hughe oversight on Nintendo's part if they don't just include a cable to charge the device when undocked with a modern USB connection. There unit most be compatible with USB 3/C after all.

Now in the case the device has a propietary charging port, Nintendo would only need to include a custom port to USB cable converter. And just pass the costs of the charger to the consumer since USB charging cables and power supplies are abundant these days due to the proliferation of mobile device use.

Thinking about it from a reasonable stand point, selling the device without the dock seems almost impossible. The inherent concept of the device, it's design, functionality, the logo, marketing and it's name are completely interconnected and dependant of the inclusion of that piece of hardaware. Without it, the message behind the device becomes almost non sensical.

That possibility you mention would have been worth to contemplate in the case the device's form factor would be a more standard handheld or that such handheld was been sold to Japan in conjunction with the Switch.

brawly

-Offer something for both sides (handheld and console gamers)while beimg affordable.

In order to do this correctly, offer a basic sku for 199/250 (handheld gamer) and offer a sku with handheld, dock, and pro controller for 349/399 (console gamer).
Finally, offer the dock with pro controller for 100 for those who bought the 199 version and want to upgrade. (handheld gamers>console gamers, want extra experience).

$399 is affordable? With those specs? If that happens then GAF will (rightfully) have a fieldday and Ninty will have shit the bed again.

$249 with the dock, $299 with the dock+Pro Controller, maybe even a game.

Rappy

Thinking about it from a reasonable stand point, selling the device without the dock seems almost impossible. The inherent concept of the device, it's design, functionality, the logo, marketing and it's name are completely interconnected and dependant of the inclusion of that piece of hardaware. Without it, the message behind the device becomes almost non sensical.

That possibility you mention would have been worth to contemplate in the case the device's form factor would be a more standard handheld or that such handheld was been sold to Japan in conjunction with the Switch.
People are overstating the importance of the dock to some people. That does not sound like a reasonable standpoint. Japan just does not have a large console market. The inherent concept of the design does not necessarily rely on the dock. The logo actually does not indicate the dock at all. The switching can refer to the switching control methods. The trailer shows it being used as a portable for more time than a console.

Branduil

The grip probably costs like $2 to produce at most.

orioto

Good Art™

That and the dock could be used as a simple charging dock, if it's nothing expensive. I mean they need to give you a charging dock for the console, even if it's a portable.

But i think, about the problem for japan and different way to sell the product. I could see the device being sold, marketed, and even designed differently (but still same hardware) here, directly or in a second time. basically a rebranding, or a different SKU, moke kid friendly. I'm pretty sure they'll need that actually. The gap from 3ds to this thing is just too huge in term of size and design.

ggx2ac

People are overstating the importance of the dock to some people. Japan just does not have a large console market. The inherent concept of the design does not necessarily rely on the dock. The logo actually does not indicate the dock at all. The switching can refer to the switching control methods.

This, there's a lot of things that can be switched but people are forgetting how Iwata wanted to sell a device that can cover all their bases, something that is a hybrid because it can be used as a portable or a home console. This makes it cheaper to sell one device that can do both than to sell a home console and a handheld separately where as you see the home console was an embarrassment in sales -> Wii U.

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=216000454

ggx2ac said:
I looked at the Q&A session from May 8th 2015

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/lib...0508qa/02.html

Again, I am posting some of the answer, click the link for the rest.

Question 4:

To the extent that you can share with us today, I would like you to give us a hint about NX, the dedicated video game system for which you said you would announce the details in 2016. Is it possible that you will both announce it and release it in 2016? Will it be a replacement for any of the existing dedicated game systems, or will it become your third pillar, so to say? Or, in the first place, should we abandon the current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices separately? Also, does the "N" in "NX" stand for "Nintendo"? Does this codename "NX" have any specific meaning?

Answer 4:

Iwata:

We will not announce any details about NX until 2016. I used the name "NX" during our joint press conference with DeNA on March 17 because we thought that our announcing the business alliance with DeNA to start a smart device business could result in such misunderstanding as "Nintendo is making a transfer to smart devices because it is pessimistic about the future for dedicated video game systems." I intentionally chose to announce the development of NX so early because I wanted to confirm the fact that we are developing a new dedicated video game platform, that we have never lost passion regarding the future for dedicated video game systems and that we have bright prospects for them. Though I cannot confirm when it will be launched or any other details of the system, since I have confirmed that it will be "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept," it should mean that we do not intend it to become a simple "replacement" for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U.

Your question also included the "current notion of thinking about home consoles and handheld devices." When it comes to how dedicated game systems are being played, the situations have become rather different, especially between Japan and overseas. Since we are always thinking about how to create a new platform that will be accepted by as many people around the world as possible, we would like to offer to them "a dedicated video game platform with a brand new concept" by taking into consideration various factors, including the playing environments that differ by country. This is all that I can confirm today.

oti

Banned
rL6mhIk.png

They will be fine for some shorter gaming sessions and just having the option to play 2-player whenever wherever is great.

brawly

That and the dock could be used as a simple charging dock, if it's nothing expensive. I mean they need to give you a charging dock for the console, even if it's a portable.

But i think, about the problem for japan and different way to sell the product. I could see the device being sold, marketed, and even designed differently (but still same hardware) here, directly or in a second time. basically a rebranding, or a different SKU, moke kid friendly. I'm pretty sure they'll need that actually. The gap from 3ds to this thing is just too huge in term of size and design.

The reveal video had zero kids, which makes me think that they finally realized that kids don't care about Nintendo. They might finally get that it's the kids who are now grown which are their core audience.

TheMoon

It's the share/post/save to miiverse button. Power button is next to the volume +/- toggle at the top of the unit on the left (opposite of the headphone port and card slot). A power button always has the universal power icon (open circle with a line through it from the top). The NFC reader/writer will be behind the screen as is the case on the New 3DS. In docked mode they can have another one on either the Joy Con Grip or he outside of dock.

azyless

I hope the Wii U Pro controller will be compatible with this and I won't have to pay another 40€ for basically the same thing.

orioto

Good Art™
The reveal video had zero kids, which makes me think that they finally realized that kids don't care about Nintendo. They might finally get that it's the kids who are now grown which are their core audience.

Yeah no i'm pretty sure a big portion of portable sales comes from kids still now, in japan, or even in the west.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I hope the Wii U Pro controller will be compatible with this and I won't have to pay another 40€ for basically the same thing.

I'll upgrade for the offset analog sticks and hopefully analog triggers.

Haunted

Since they specifically call the pro controller shown the Switch™ Pro Controller in the promo image, I doubt it.

That said, they were extremely generous with WiiU controller compatibility, so we'll have to wait and see.

ggx2ac

Since they specifically call the pro controller shown the Switch™ Pro Controller in the promo image, I doubt it.

That said, they were extremely generous with WiiU controller compatibility, so we'll have to wait and see.

Whatever happens, people will bitch regardless.

If Nintendo lets Wii/Wii U controllers work with Switch. "Damn it Nintendo, you're telling me I have to keep my hundreds of peripherals around still?"

Or if Nintendo gets rid of Wii/Wii U controller support for Switch. "Damn it Nintendo, you're telling me my peripherals are useless junk now? You're so anti-consumer."

TheMoon

would love it for VC but doubt it if analog triggers are a thing and if the Switch Pro has gyro functionality. plus you'd lose the share button.

Whatever happens, people will bitch regardless.

If Nintendo lets Wii/Wii U controllers work with Switch. "Damn it Nintendo, you're telling me I have to keep my hundreds of peripherals around still?"

Or if Nintendo gets rid of Wii/Wii U controller support for Switch. "Damn it Nintendo, you're telling me my peripherals are useless junk now? You're so anti-consumer."

The one and only truth. :D

-MB-

A "Social" or "Miiverse" button is the safest speculation. One can't expect that after all the time and resources poured into Nintendo's own social network for them to abandon it completely.

The button will jost stream line the process of a feature that was already available in it's previous console.

The release is a circular button on the underside of the Joycons and to the inner sides near the trigger, i' ll try to upload a picture later since it's a detail many missed in the video.

joyconreleasebuttonjvalo.jpg

It would be a hughe oversight on Nintendo's part if they don't just include a cable to charge the device when undocked with a modern USB connection. There unit most be compatible with USB 3/C after all.

Now in the case the device has a propietary charging port, Nintendo would only need to include a custom port to USB cable converter. And just pass the costs of the charger to the consumer since USB charging cables and power supplies are abundant these days due to the proliferation of mobile device use.

That would open the risk of consumers using a wrong charge adapter and blow their Switch.

Here's what i posted some days ago regarding the target demographic of the video and how it relates to other things like no motion controls and no touch screen interface in the showcase:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=220976308&postcount=6151

Since there are some concerns regarding the chance of motion controls not happening i think there are some things in the trailer to consider:
  • A by know industry standard feature of portable screens: "touch sensitivity", is completely abscent from the video. And is hard to see how the screen won't be touch capable in the final product.
  • The trailer is focusing in one target demographic, the one that is far more detached from Nintendo and alternative type of controls such as motion ones.
  • There's no way Nintendo will not target their more important markets, kids and families and those are absent in this commercial.
With the 3 above considerations one can speculate that will get 1 or 2 more trailer/information dumps that will focus on motion controllers (kids/family) and mobile style gaming with touch controls.

In conclusion think that touch screen is almost guaranteed and giving the nature and purpose of the trailer that motion gaming has a very good chance of happening in the end.

Among the 3 dedicated gaming devices manufacturers, Nintendo is the one that better targets kids and families. There's no way they would give up those segments as you suggest. Expect other videos focusing in them.

Who in their right mind is going to try and play with that tiny thing.
It's not the preferred controller, it's the controller you use because you didn't want to spend more money on better ones or carry them with you.
Somnid said:
What is more interesting: will that headrest mount be an official accessory?
I assume so, and personally find it a little funny. When considering the kind of reasons you'd want to do local multiplayer in portable mode back when this was all still rumored the case of it being an alternative to kids just watching movies in the back seat came to mind, but I didn't bother mentioning it because I figured it was such a low priority thing it would take a while for some third party to make something so it could happen. Problem pre-solved, I guess.
OmegaSmash said:
So what you're saying is, motion/IR FPS might be a thing again? Because COD on Wii was heaven from the short while I played it.
Rumors say that motion is definitely in there, but considering what we haven't seen on the controllers and the lack of an apparent sensor bar it seems like the pointer is out.
Refreshment.01 said:
The stick position is not symmetrical and is stacked lined above the action buttons because it was a necessary compromise for the 2 player local multiplayer with the 2 Joycon halves. It was the only way to reach control parity for each player in this situation.
If they're really wanted the analog stick positions to match, they could've made it so users of one Joy-Con side instead held it with the flat end at the bottom. That would've made the supposed locking/shoulder buttons even weirder, though.
So Jumeira, it is not a confirmation that "assymetrical sticks are the best". XD
No confirmation is needed, this was made clear in 2001.
UnemployedVillain said:
Based on what? The Wii literally had people playing with a split controller and the lack of "stability" was never a complaint
Some people are weird. I've seen quite a few people on these boards wondering why in the video the guy playing Skyrim on the plane would want to play with the controllers disconnected without the grip.
ggx2ac said:
There's no point releasing a Grip if people would have preference for the Pro Controller because of wanting to hold a traditional controller at home.
One's a full on controller, one's apparently little more than a piece of plastic. It's cheap and they can toss it in at little cost. It's like the difference between the Wii Wheel that clipped onto the wiimote versus a legit steering wheel controller.

Rumors say that motion is definitely in there, but considering what we haven't seen on the controllers and the lack of an apparent sensor bar it seems like the pointer is out.
Don't think, that even the some times paradoxical Nintendo, would dare to waste the potential the splitted form factor of the Joycons have for a free degrees of freedom controller, by not having at the least some '" relative position" motion sensing.

Even leaving aside full motion controls, for more traditional gaming oriented tasks such as pointing and camera control the feature has it's place. So let's hope we have confirmation soon XD

If they're really wanted the analog stick positions to match, they could've made it so users of one Joy-Con side instead held it with the flat end at the bottom. That would've made the supposed locking/shoulder buttons even weirder, though.
Yes indeed, that was i mentioned parity, doing that with the cuarrent setup would have each player with a controller with differnt form factor and ergonomics for local multi.

This was a topic i debated substantially before the unveil and pointed out why we would have switched sticks. Related to what you said regarding a way to have symmetrical sticks like with the Wii U Gamepad, i remember pointing out in one of the old threads how Nintendi could achieve that. And it was simply to have each Joycon with simmetrical left and right sides. That way both sticks are at the top when attached and when dismounted the only thing different would be that the connector side would be at the bottom on one controller and the top in the other Joycon. But in this hyphotetical case parity and playability would not be compromised.

It seems the reason Nintendo opted to have the inner sides of the Joycons flat was to simplify the design a bit more with a more straight forward latching mechanism. Other reason could be if Nintendo potentially included some inputs/buttons in the side that attaches to the device, yet this is still speculation.

Some people are weird. I've seen quite a few people on these boards wondering why in the video the guy playing Skyrim on the plane would want to play with the controllers disconnected without the grip.
Exactly, the setup allows for more flexibility and comfort when playing. For example, a more common occurance than the plane example is playing the handheld on a table, something that is more comfortable now.

One's a full on controller, one's apparently little more than a piece of plastic. It's cheap and they can toss it in at little cost. It's like the difference between the Wii Wheel that clipped onto the wiimote versus a legit steering wheel controller.
Correct, the Grip seems like a cost efficient way to allow for a more traditional dual handed form factor as well as amplifying the "illusion" of playing a home console.

rL6mhIk.png

That's such a bad setup, it's sad that some people will find that acceptable. The screen is not big enough for split multiplayer. Bad for single player too, with these games designed primarily to be played on a bigger screen.

Top Bottom