• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided review embargo lifts on 8/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is why I am getting a bit ticked off at GAF in here for some poor posting regarding a preview translation that is honestly not very transparent regarding what the settings are doing.

You could have something where SSR on ultra is native resolution instead of half resolution. Or something like contact/softshadows being absurdely expensive because it means calculating umbra + penumbra for every game shadow.

Without knowing what each settings is actually doing for visual return / on a technical level, these performance numbers are without context... and heck.. they could be completely justified.

Pretty much. And I don't want to excuse optimisation issues, but folk need to utterly abandon the console-like approach to PC building, where owning X gpu/hardware configuration warrants a standard of performance and graphical settings across all games.

That's not how it works, nor ever has. Every engine is different. Assets are different. And config settings adopt different standards. "I want to max out games and hit 60fps" is a disastrous approach to PC hardware purchases and gaming.

EG I really adore Frostbite. Battlefront and Battlefield 4 look and run great. But the latter has very specific rooms and assets that'll eat 15-20fps alone. Entirely because of complex transparency mapping with fog/light/smoke assets on ultra settings.

Without knowing exactly what Deus Ex is doing on ultra it's impossible to say what's killing performance.

DieH@rd

Banned
THIS. Wtf is wrong with this?

IMO it is good if game has really high end visual settings that require lots of processing. Higher framerates can be acheved easily with just few things being brought lower [and true master race users with insane rigs will have a new goal to push toward].

I trust that Nixxes has done great job optimizing this game, and adding new visual features that are not in console version [they did great job on adding additional visual stuff on TRDE].

Nzyme32

To go slightly away from the PC performance topic...

Is anyone else planning on playing this game really slowly? I think I did it with HR too - just enjoying the side quests and playing it over a fairly lengthy period of time.

I really hope the world and side missions (and the overall plot to a wider degree) are conducive to this.

Yes, well, I'll be going at my own pace as with any game and that invariably means i will be slow

nOoblet16

This is exactly why I left PC gaming years ago, tired of this unoptimized issues on games with huge production values. Really feel for you guys, hope it gets patched soon.

Is there any info on the Xbox version yet? I mean in terms of performance?

P.S. Shouldn't reviews be out now?
This is such a nonsense argument. This is performance at ultra settings, console versions run at medium are limited to 30FPS.
You really think that the alternative to not being able to play at 60FPS/ultra is to play on consoles at 30FPS/medium ? When you can get 60FPS/medium even with a mid level GPU...even when the games run bad you end up with better than console performance in every case unless the game is buggy and crashes a lot.

dr_rus

Maybe "halos" or glow effects then.
Any other game is doing that? (Edit: maybe TF2 i guess)

Yeah, actually this may just be Bloom =)

Took another look at the DX11 vs DX12 and noticed that Pascal cards are the only ones which actually get ~1 fps from DX12 while the rest of the bunch including all Radeons loose some 30%.

nOoblet16

Sometimes going for ultra settings kills performance compared to high or medium simply because they start using full resolution version of the techniques used, sometimes it might as well be due to just one setting....that kind of gulf in performance is understandable. It's funny how if the game ran at a high framerate on your usual GPU everyone would be like "This isn't pushing anything at all" and if it causes lower than expected performance on ultra then it becomes "Unoptimised trash". You can't have both...

This is why I am getting a bit ticked off at GAF in here for some poor posting regarding a preview translation that is honestly not very transparent regarding what the settings are doing.

You could have something where SSR on ultra is native resolution instead of half resolution. Or something like contact/softshadows being absurdely expensive because it means calculating umbra + penumbra for every game shadow.

Without knowing what each settings is actually doing for visual return / on a technical level, these performance numbers are without context... and heck.. they could be completely justified.
All that matters is how it looks at a glance..and it looks like a PS3 game. Unoptimised piece of shit. Pre order cancelled !

Fledz

This raises a question, actually. What are the chances that there's going to be a Day 1 Patch on Steam? I'm on metered internet and don't particularly want to download, say, 35gb, only to download another 4gb of patch files on Tuesday. I did that with The Witness (4gb pre-load, 1gb Day 1 Patch), and it really annoyed.

Obviously, I guess we can't know for sure until Tuesday, but...

It's probably very likely, an educated guess would say.

importantthingsnhs2k.png

System used in the video for context:
Intel Core i7 6700K 4.00 GHz
16 GB DDR4 RAM
Palit GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6GB
MSI Z170A PC Mate Mainboard
Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Pretty much. And I don't want to excuse optimisation issues, but folk need to utterly abandon the console-like approach to PC building, where owning X gpu/hardware configuration warrants a standard of performance and graphical settings across all games.

That's not how it works, nor ever has. Every engine is different. Assets are different. And config settings adopt different standards. "I want to max out games and hit 60fps" is a disastrous approach to PC hardware purchases and gaming.

EG I really adore Frostbite. Battlefront and Battlefield 4 look and run great. But the latter has very specific rooms and assets that'll eat 15-20fps alone. Entirely because of complex transparency mapping with fog/light/smoke assets on ultra settings.

Without knowing exactly what Deus Ex is doing on ultra it's impossible to say what's killing performance.

Sometimes going for ultra settings kills performance compared to high or medium simply because they start using full resolution version of the techniques used, sometimes it might as well be due to just one setting....that kind of gulf in performance is understandable. It's funny how if the game ran at a high framerate on your usual GPU everyone would be like "This isn't pushing anything at all" and if it causes lower than expected performance on ultra then it becomes "Unoptimised trash". You can't have both...
Exactly.
All that matters is how it looks at a glance..and it looks like a PS3 game. Unoptimised piece of shit. Pre order cancelled !
Lol

nOoblet16

Based on these shots below, I feel that PS4 might be missing POM. I say might because I am not sure. It does have parallax mapping obviously but POM? I don't know. But it may be that the real reason why the cobblestones looks a bit undefined and unshadowed is because of lower resolution and ack of proper texture filtering. Regardless, this looks overdone like so many other games that do Parallax mapped ground...I wouldn't want to be driving or walking on that surface :p

FYI before you all jump to conclusions.....this is the actual comparison

PC at 4K
DbJuMLc.jpg

PS4 at 1080P
1ronaj9.jpg

What's with that cell shaded look? I've haven't watched any vids of the game yet.

Sharpening. First thing I am turning off. It is giving objects outlines.
Based on these shots below, I feel that PS4 might be missing POM. I say might because I am not sure. It does have parallax mapping obviously but POM? I don't know. But it may be that the real reason why the cobblestones looks a bit undefined and unshadowed is because of lower resolution and ack of proper texture filtering. Regardless, this looks overdone like so many other games that do Parallax mapped ground...I wouldn't want to be driving or walking on that surface :p

Hard to tell what the exact difference on foreground displacement, but near complete lack of AF is not helping. Also, you should come to berlin... some streets look quite a lot like that :p

nOoblet16

The frame rate difference at 1:22 between high and ultra is huge. But the visual difference isn't.

I mean that's how it is with every game these days, ultra setting is just high settings but with effects rendered at a higher precision/resolution..and medium is just high with even lower precision/resolution with some effects like SSR, SSS and POM disabled.

Ultra is purely for satisfying the enthusiasts than anything else.

Sharpening. First thing I am turning off. It is giving objects outlines.

Disappointing that console version don't allow you to do that.
Any effect that has 0 or close to 0 hit on performance should be a toggle, especially if the PC version provides it and even more if it's subjective like CA and sharpening.

Perhaps bugging Eidos on twitter can lead to a patch that includes the option?

Vuze

Yes, the PC version is Steamworks, so wherever you get a key from, it'll activate on Steam.

Edit: Still no keys from GMG. :( Though it's only just gone 2pm in the UK.
Can't even login to GMG to check for some reason :/
We're currently having a small issue. Please try again. Sorry!

E: Oh wow, these benchmarks look horrible. No wonder the game was sold at 40% off before release LOL

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Between people saying the high reviews aren't promising and fatality starting his speel about the pc master race, I'm leaving the review thread alone

Ozium

Between people saying the high reviews aren't promising and fatality starting his speel about the pc master race, I'm leaving the review thread alone

don't worry breh he's waiting for the neo version of the game

there's a neo version?

Mifec

Tovarisc

don't worry breh he's waiting for the neo version of the game

there's a neo version?

If one believes GAF posts then every single game coming out now or in near future will have Neo patch no matter what. We have no idea what Neo can actually do, but it's already best thing since sliced bread.

If one believes GAF posts then every single game coming out now or in near future will have Neo patch no matter what. We have no idea what Neo can actually do, but it's already best thing since sliced bread.
Whatever, I've seen dumb posts on every side. It's just not worth it to pay attention.

Disappointing that console version don't allow you to do that.
Any effect that has 0 or close to 0 hit on performance should be a toggle, especially if the PC version provides it and even more if it's subjective like CA and sharpening.

Perhaps bugging Eidos on twitter can lead to a patch that includes the option?

Yeah, it would be nice if they did. BUt there are also admittedly different expectations on average among console players and PC players that may not show up in focus / QA tests.

Nonetheless, it would not hurt to try somewhere.

Kudo

For how people were praising Nixxes I was expecting a great port, but 30fps with 980 Ti on Ultra at 1080p? That raises some alarms.
Glad I got it for cheap though, I can live with less stellar experience, just hoping GTX 1070 can at least run High 1440p/60fps.
Maybe there'll be day one patch to fix optimization? Who knows.

nOoblet16

Yeah, it would be nice if they did. BUt there are also admittedly different expectations on average among console players and PC players that may not show up in focus / QA tests.

Nonetheless, it would not hurt to try somewhere.

With games like Division allowing you to adjust sharpening and turn off CA and Doom allowing you to change motion blur settings or outright disable it and change FoV I saw it as a good sign.

For how people were praising Nixxes I was expecting a great port, but 30fps with 980 Ti on Ultra at 1080p? That raises some alarms.
Glad I got it for cheap though, I can live with less stellar experience, just hoping GTX 1070 can at least run High 1440p/60fps.

What if....the ultra settings really are that demanding? Why don't people consider that option? It is also the most likely answer considering the gulf you see in performance between ultra and high.
It doesn't matter if it looks more or less the same as high, because that's what Ultra settings are really for they are basically high settings at maximum resolution for effects and that can be a performance killer. Full resolution shadows, reflections and volumetric lights for instance will tank performance even with the most powerful hardware.

dr_rus

If the video above is a proper indication you should be able to double that with close to none quality loss by going from Ultra to High though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom