• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Dahbomb

man its been an year since we got the special edition announcement...
time does fly but why is the DMC5 announcement taking too long??!!
Probably don't want to show it until looks damn good.

If it's going to be 60 FPS then it will be lacking some visual fidelity right off the bat. First impressions are a big thing. In addition I feel that when they do reveal it, the game will be out within a year of reveal. That's how a lot of companies are handling these things nowadays, which I also prefer.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Probably don't want to show it until looks damn good.

If it's going to be 60 FPS then it will be lacking some visual fidelity right off the bat. First impressions are a big thing. In addition I feel that when they do reveal it, the game will be out within a year of reveal. That's how a lot of companies are handling these things nowadays, which I also prefer.

It would be perfect to reveal something next year considering it would be DMCs 15th. I would like Capcom to step up the mechanics and general scale of the game. We all seen Bloodborne, hell, we all seen God Of War 3, it was a technical marvel for its time and still astounds today, with the level of chaos going on screen. Would love to see some God Of War 3 scale and chaos in DMC.

I would be okay with visuals close to inFAMOUS:SS for the next DMC. That game was open world and still managed to hit a pretty solid 30fps (after patch). So it shouldn't be too hard to have a DMC with that visuals at 60fps since it's more linear and not OW.

Do you guys think it's better to abandon the mission based structure for a straight up open environment?

More Asylum than City I mean.

What do you guys think of 'Shall Never Surrender" compared to "Devils Never Cry"? Personally, Devils Never Cry is my favorite, but I still really like Shall Never Surrender..

"The time has come and so have I" has gotten meme status so they did something right. But the line I really like is "I'll make the Angels scream and the Devil cry!"

I think "Devils Never Cry" is a better overall package, but I think the second half of "Shall Never Surrender" is more emotional.

Not really open but I would like a structure similar to Ninja Gaiden Black. Also I think Souls's series approach to more open areas (Bloodborne in particular) could work in a DMC game.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't mind waiting for DMC5 as long as it takes, as long as it's done right. I would like it confirmed already that it's in the oven. We've gotten plenty of hints already. I suspect they're gearing up for a huge reveal.

Do you guys think it's better to abandon the mission based structure for a straight up open environment?

More Asylum than City I mean.

For me, City is too open and loose, and while I really like Arkham Asylum, it's a bit too restrictive for DMC.

I've always been a fan of a hubworld structure like Killer is Dead, because I think that's the best of both worlds for a character action game. The freedom comes from exploring side missions that can be tackled or ignored as they are unlocked, and the core missions weave together the main plotline.

For me personally, I don't think an Asylum or Souls type of structure is quite as palatable, but I'm definitely open to it if it's done well.

Seyavesh

mission structure is the best for dmc, whether it's linear or from a hub or whatever
can you imagine having to fucking travel to whatever location and waiting for x long in open world to constantly re-record combo vid/style vid footage?
definitely not
DMC office hub would be fun for side story/side mission stuff, with more trophies and devil arms appearing in your office based on completion of those and challenges etc.
but also i feel like the main story would lose all it's strength if dante got to go back home after every single mission, haha. so i guess you'd have to find some way to make that work out maybe?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mission structure is the best for dmc, whether it's linear or from a hub or whatever
can you imagine having to fucking travel to whatever location and waiting for x long in open world to constantly re-record combo vid/style vid footage?
definitely not
DMC office hub would be fun for side story/side mission stuff, with more trophies and devil arms appearing in your office based on completion of those and challenges etc.
but also i feel like the main story would lose all it's strength if dante got to go back home after every single mission, haha. so i guess you'd have to find some way to make that work out maybe?

Yeah, I'm of a similar mind. I don't think that going back to the DMC office between would be that much of a pace breaker, since he's only metaphorically returning to the office. And they could even force a player to continue playing the next mission if it's that vital.

I think that the hub would really just be a physical manifestation for the Mission Select screen, more or less.

For every single DMC games, we have never really done anything with the Devil May Cry place.

I can imagine an optional task is to get collectibles to decorate your HQ. Alternatively if you want to go down a more RPG route- Dante probably need to pay the bills....=p

Dahbomb

Asylum structure is fine, it's actually pretty closely related to DMC1's. It's all just a bunch of interconnected enclosed areas with some out door areas. It's only open ended in that you can go wherever you want in that area but you can do that in DMC1 too (like you can go to the start if you want even in later missions).

Arkham City on the other hand is completely open world and that is not something that you would want in a DMC game. It takes a lot of time to get from point A to point B with many missions having you go from one end of the map to the other following some marker on the map. Plus you need to dedicate a ton of resources to filling up the bigger world (otherwise you would have a bunch of emptiness which would be even worse) which would mean more dev time and bigger hit on the performance. It's just not worth it at all for DMC.

That is not to say that action games can't do open world... Darksiders 2 definitely attempted to do it. That game was ambitious as fuck but in the end it stretched itself too thin in what it was trying to do.

Honestly it would be a massive achievement if the next DMC game was able to have level design half as good as the Soulsbourne games. Level design in character action games really has not evolved much since NGB.

Clawww

definitely not

you don't have to make the hub/office make sense in terms of dante/whoever coming back between story missions. it's just neat window dressing for a mission select.

Seyavesh

you don't have to make the hub/office make sense in terms of dante/whoever coming back between story missions. it's just neat window dressing for a mission select.
yeah, i just feel like it'd break the pace/tension/excitement built within the story or whatever even if it's simply window dressing. i more meant like how dante just chillin' in his office after the dmc3 awakening+tower scene would be pretty silly

it's just something minor though.honestly i'd prefer a DMC office hub over the flat mission screen despite thinking that

here's some crap combos that i did to ease myself back into the dmc groove
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmjo_8LctqI&feature=youtu.be

New Sengoku BaSara game announced on a random Tuesday.

Lol... like clockwork.
Yeah, lol.

But I don't think they do something like this for their bigger titles tho. Basara is mostly Japanese centric so it kinda makes sense to announce it at Famitsu.

Man, I wish we still had Captivate. That would have been the perfect place to announce DMC5 and RE7 :(

Astral Dog

Bayonetta fanbase had the Nintendo fanbase behind it, Dante wasn't going to win. And other console fans don't care enough about Smash to bother voting.

Its weird when you put it like that Q.o
Strange times for videogame industry.

And yeah DMC and Souls will continue to do their own thing, actually an Arkham Asylum type structure would be very nice and fitting. both linear levels and a little more exploration.

Dahbomb

It's not weird at all.. Bayonetta 2 is one of the sole reasons of even buying a Wii U and the console fans of Wii U will prop up Bayonetta to high heavens to get her in Smash. And I wouldn't even be opposed to it.

Real culprit is the Cloud pick but again... he got in due to popularity contest and there's no denying that Cloud is hella popular, more than Dante. Though there could be some money hats under the table at work from SE with the new FF7 Remake coming.

We don't have to worry about Dante being in a fighter... if they plan to make a Capcom All Stars he would be like top 5 character to include. MVC3's reveal trailer had Dante in it, he's like Ryu/Morrigan/Chris status for Capcom now. Actually aside from Ryu, I don't think any one character is bigger in Capcom's eyes than Dante at the moment... I mean it's certainly not MM.

Speaking of Dante being in fighting games, I found the guys that made the bet few years ago :)

In fact, I've got 20$ says that the next capcom crossover fighting game has New Dante in it, and that's if it contains Devil May Cry characters at all.
I'll take that bet.

Dead serious. Remember this post in a couple years.

and let's up it to 60. Loser buys the winner a copy of the game
I'm down with that. Subscribed.

Keep in mind, the likelihood that DmC2 by Ninja Theory being annouced before this game we're talking about is EXTREMELY high with the way Capcom has been treating it's fighter projects.

I am pretty sure Retro_ is perma banned.

I will take up the banner for Retro_ for $60. Easy.

Wow, really?! I thought it was weird that his tag said Guest but I didn't know it meant permanent ban :(

Reading through that thread, you were actually ready to take the bet yourself, weren't you? :p

Dahbomb

Back then there was still some uncertainty regarding the future of the series but now I am way more confident in the bet.

Thing is that DMC5 will probably get unveiled way before a Capcom Vs game.

Back then there was still some uncertainty regarding the future of the series but now I am way more confident in the bet.
Basically I thought the franchise would be buried for a while (or even finished). I do remember my heart sank when DmC:DE was revealed without initially knowing about DMC4:SE, because I thought classic DMC was dead. Now Capcom just needs to deliver the goods already...

It's worse than a permanent ban. He was basically deleted from GAF.
Yah I wish I could have figured out what he did, I've only seen a handful of members that where guested..

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I wasn't going to take that bet. It's not even that long ago, but Capcom back then was way different from Capcom today. I could totally see them try to shoehorn DmC Donte into another game, and try to salvage what they could. The logic coming from Mesoian was kind of nonsense, though.

What we know, and what has been confirmed by Itsuno in interviews, is that the lukewarm sales of DmC ensured that DMC survived as a franchise. In hindsight, we know who was right. It's just a matter of time now.

Mizerman

He popped off in the Ferguson thread a while back.

Yeah, I could see that being the reason.

I wasn't going to take that bet. It's not even that long ago, but Capcom back then was way different from Capcom today. I could totally see them try to shoehorn DmC Donte into another game, and try to salvage what they could. The logic coming from Mesoian was kind of nonsense, though.

What we know, and what has been confirmed by Itsuno in interviews, is that the lukewarm sales of DmC ensured that DMC survived as a franchise. In hindsight, we know who was right. It's just a matter of time now.

I was glad, in a way. I wasn't interested in DmC in any shape or fashion. I'm not saying it was a horrible game within itself, it just wasn't something I could ever get excited for. I didn't have any faith in Ninja Theory to justify visiting anything dealing with the reboot.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I was glad, in a way. I wasn't interested in DmC in any shape or fashion. I'm not saying it was a horrible game within itself, it just wasn't something I could ever get excited for. I didn't have any faith in Ninja Theory to justify visiting anything dealing with the reboot.

I'm not just glad, in a way. I feel elated, vindicated, and relieved. We know the story now, and we know what could have been. The alternative of DmC taking over is a nightmare.

Dahbomb

Worst case scenario was DmC flopping so hard that it killed the franchise alright. No more DMC action games in general would've been awful. Itsuno even talked about it.

DmC sold just enough where it didn't kill the franchise.

Mizerman

I'm not just glad, in a way. I'm feel elated, vindicated, and relieved. We know the story now, and we know what could have been. The alternative of DmC taking over is a nightmare.

Yep.

As Itsuno said, had DmC been a blockbuster hit (like gaining those 2 million sales straight up), the classic series would've been done for. I could just imagine the articles had that happened. And some people would've been smug enough to do so.

I'm not just glad, in a way. I'm feel elated, vindicated, and relieved. We know the story now, and we know what could have been. The alternative of DmC taking over is a nightmare.
I actually think that Vergil will only be coming back in DMC5 because of the super long delay (from DMC4), and Capcom needing all the good will they can get to get sales numbers up.
Worst case scenario was DmC flopping so hard that it killed the franchise alright. No more DMC action games in general would've been awful. Itsuno even talked about it.

Yah very touchy situation. I personally did not know what to do because if I supported DmC and it did too well, no more classic DMC. But if no one supported it, DMC would be buried forever. Even with the DmC:DE edition, I was still uncertain if they all of a sudden sold blockbusters, would Capcom reconsider the preliminary development of DMC5? It sounds like they were in the very early stages when DMC4:SE was in development.

Mizerman

Heh.

With how Capcom was like those few years ago, I can imagine them going with that assumption. Regardless, I wouldn't support DmC since that meant the classic universe would be gone.

Anyways, I will be motivated as hell when DMC5 get announced.

Dahbomb

What line do you guys want the DMC5 trailer to end with?

Mine is easy:

Trailer ends with Dante and Nero looking at the camera all fucked up like they have been in an intense battle and then the camera pans over to showcase a back in form Vergil looking all smug saying...

"NOW... I'm a LITTLE motivated!"

The gifs would be crazy. Mostly because everyone is going to be saying that line anyway to talk about their hype for DMC5.

2nd would be Dante saying "This party's getting CCRRRAAZZZZYYYY!!"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

While I don't disagree that's possible, I don't think we can assume this is true. Based on the interview with Itsuno, he mentioned that the middling sales allowed them to make DmCDE later, but he doesn't talk about it being the end of DMC if it failed:
I think I'm happy with the performance of the game. If it had been a world changing hit, it might have changed the course of the series by becoming the new DMC. But at the same time, if it was a lot less successful than it was, it might have just been a flash in the pan failure that never got followed through with the definitive edition this year. In a way, I'm actually really pleased of where we were able to hit between those two separate extremes.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/devil-may-crys-future-isnt-tied-to-how-well-devil-/1100-6428432/

2nd would be Dante saying "This party's getting CCRRRAAZZZZYYYY!!"
For me, it would probably be either this, or "Let's rock, baby."

I actually think that Vergil will only be coming back in DMC5 because of the super long delay (from DMC4), and Capcom needing all the good will they can get to get sales numbers up.

He might just come in with DMC5SE. I hope the game has enough time in the oven to allow them to include him at the start, but it's almost a tradition at this point.

Mizerman

Mine is easy:

Trailer ends with Dante and Nero looking at the camera all fucked up like they have been in an intense battle and then the camera pans over to showcase a back in form Vergil looking all smug saying...

Pretty much how I would imagine it.

Dante and especially Nero are gonna have their work cut out for them.

Dahbomb

Dante getting lazy eating the pizzas and reading gun magazines and Nero too busy trying to please Kyrie to train...

Whereas Vergil has probably been training in hell for nearly a decade under extreme conditions.

He might just come in with DMC5SE. I hope the game has enough time in the oven to allow them to include him at the start, but it's almost a tradition at this point.
I honestly think his campaign will be preorder bonus/dlc. That's one way to gather up preorders (they did it for DmC..)..

And my Ideal DMC5 trailer would be Dante and Nero v Vergil in Hell...

It's worse than a permanent ban. He was basically deleted from GAF.
Woah! I didn't even know completely deleting an account was a thing. Hope we never see it again in DMC-Gaf.

I don't have a exact line in mind but I think hearing Sparda's or Eva's voice at the end would be pretty dope.

Actually, reading what you said:

I don't remember if we talked about this before, but assuming Vergil comes back, why would he wanna fight Dante? What would be his motivation for fighting Dante or even wanting to gain more power?

I get that he wanted power in DMC3 cause he thought that would make him more like Sparda but didn't Dante already prove him wrong in their last fight in the end? Not only Dante beat him without Sparda's power but he even questioned Vergil's ideology and Vergil had no answer for him. So, Vergil's loss to Dante was not only physically but ideologically as well.

At the end of DMC3 after their last fight (and even before that) Vergil realizes that he was wrong but he is just too damn proud (and stubborn) to accept it right then and there in front of Dante, so he decides to refuse Dante's help and stay in demon world*. I think the fact that Dante proves that to Vergil is a very big part of what makes their rivalry so satisfying cause it gives that game, that arc, in story of sons of Sparda a conclusion.

So if they wanna make them fight in DMC5 then I really hope that they find a new excuse for it and don't make Vergil just go:

"Yeah....I still want more power to become like daddy"

Cause honestly, I think that would neglect the whole point of DMC3.

I like to think that another reason that he refused Dante's hand in the end was because he knew that if Dante was to help him then there was a chance that they might both get trapped in demon world and he didn't want that to happen to Dante. So, he sacrificed himself for the sake of his little brother.

But that's just my crazy mind trying to find some redemption for Vergil so you can probably ignore this :)

Seyavesh

hmm, ideal trailer?
something that matches the DMC3 office opening cutscene in raw style/craziness to remind people why folks love the original DMC's tone and characters.

with a theme song that rivals or surpasses 'devils never cry' because that song can make any trailer hype. maybe even re-use it by having the cutscene centered around the jukebox barely escaping destruction over and over in increasingly silly ways until it gets sliced in half alongside the entire front of the office, revealing vergil

obviously there's a required cliche reveal char-> jump cut to black-> some catchphrase "i've come to retrieve my power" or "so, this is what they call a heartwarming family reunion" or whatever
opens the game up so they don't have to fight since it could just be vergil being an asshole as per usual instead of actually fighting or whatever

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I don't remember if we talked about this before, but assuming Vergil comes back, why would he wanna fight Dante? What would be his motivation for fighting Dante or even wanting to gain more power?

The only thing I can think of is him being possessed, like remnants of Nelo Angelo, or doing it out of necessity to save someone else?

Frankly, I'd rather Vergil just take root somewhere in Europe and do high class professional demon hunting of his own accord. And for him to be incredibly successful and wealthy, as a counter to Dante's slumming Devil May Cry shop.

The only thing I can think of is him being possessed, like remnants of Nelo Angelo, or doing it out of necessity to save someone else?

Frankly, I'd rather Vergil just take root somewhere in Europe and do high class professional demon hunting of his own accord. And for him to be incredibly successful and wealthy, as a counter to Dante's slumming Devil May Cry shop.
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Capcom does the whole amnesia thing, when Vergil comes back. I mean in DMC1 he didn't really recognize who Dante was until he saw his amulet (probably retconned though).

Top Bottom