• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

Frankly, I'd rather Vergil just take root somewhere in Europe and do high class professional demon hunting of his own accord. And for him to be incredibly successful and wealthy, as a counter to Dante's slumming Devil May Cry shop.

i can't imagine vergil working for anyone at all ever so i dunno about that, haha.
during the Q&A with itsuno and shimomura, itsuno's view of vergil sounded like vergil wasn't really that the type to get softer after the years but instead actually still be a ruthless asshole who would never settle until he had overwhelmingly gross power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2ai72jTIQ#t=3m24s

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
i can't imagine vergil working for anyone at all ever so i dunno about that, haha.
during the Q&A with itsuno and shimomura, itsuno's view of vergil sounded like vergil wasn't really that the type to get softer after the years but instead actually still be a ruthless asshole who would never settle until he had overwhelmingly gross power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM2ai72jTIQ#t=3m24s

I guess I would see it as Vergil having people sponsor him just because he's popular, but he doesn't really care. He'll drop a "client's" mission for his own in a heartbeat, but he's so good at what he does that he'll never lose business. And he'll almost exclusively take on missions from people where he can gain some sort of power.

Itsuno calls him ruthless, but that's pre-DMC3 and DMC3 Vergil. That's not to say that this persona won't continue forever and ever, but I don't take Itsuno's statement to mean he can't change.

I don't think my idea is a popular one, but I'd love to see it because I feel it fits his rivalry with struggling Dante.

Honestly I'm sick of Dante's business struggling, it's such a contrived Anime trope. It only really came relevant in DMC4 after the DMC4 anime brought it up... In DMC1 it seems like he isn't struggling at all, and hell in DMC3 at the end he gets a good head start.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly I'm sick of Dante's business struggling, it's such a contrived Anime trope. It only really came relevant in DMC4 after the DMC4 anime brought it up... In DMC1 it seems like he isn't struggling at all, and hell in DMC3 at the end he gets a good head start.

Dante's not a businessman. He's lackadaisical and carefree. That's kind of the point. Having a bunch of trophies on the wall doesn't mean he's making money. That just means he's good at slaying demons. His shop looks run down and it doesn't seem like it's in a great part of town, even in DMC1.

I think it's a fun and endearing trait, personally.

Dante's not a businessman. He's lackadaisical and carefree. That's kind of the point. Having a bunch of trophies on the wall doesn't mean he's making money. That just means he's good at slaying demons. His shop looks run down and it doesn't seem like it's in a great part of town, even in DMC1.

I think it's a fun and endearing trait, personally.
I think his shop being in a drab part of town is probably because he can get more business there. But I can't help thinking of tons of animes where the main protagonist despite being somewhat competent is always damaging things or being careless enough that he/she never gets a return on their business. See Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, (Trigun?), etc.

Amnesia or possession would both be good scenarios since they could give devs an excuse to show Vergil's past through flashbacks.

That would be a really good way to give us more insight on Nero's origins as well. Stuff like, who was his mother? What happened to her? Who put Nero at the doorstep of the Order and why?

So, yeah. I could totally see Capcom go to one of those routes. (Especially the amnesia one)

Seyavesh

well, there's also the part where his job is pretty shady in it's own right as he's a merc for hire.
hence the intro for DMC1 with him being "the handyman who will take any dirty job".
him being broke as shit just expands on that meaning that it's not in a way that means 'he does questionable deeds' but rather that he will literally take any job that might seem worth it because he's so broke, haha
besides, it makes it sound like that he does get paid for his jobs but will forego the pay to be a good guy if they can't actually afford it alongside having a sparse set of clients due to his niche

Golnei

Amnesia or possession would both be good scenarios since they could give devs an excuse to show Vergil's past through flashbacks.

That would be a really good way to give us more insight on Nero's origins as well. Stuff like, who was his mother? What happened to her? Who put Nero at the doorstep of the Order and why?

So, yeah. I could totally see Capcom go to one of those routes. (Especially the amnesia one)

There are plenty of less contrived ways to give hints towards the backstory of both him and other characters. I think that'd be one of the best uses of files - they wouldn't get in the way of the main plot, but still allow them to fill out those parts of the backstory, and also allow them to retain a bit of ambiguity.

There are plenty of less contrived ways to give hints towards the backstory of both him and other characters. I think that'd be one of the best uses of files - they wouldn't get in the way of the main plot, but still allow them to fill out those parts of the backstory, and also allow them to retain a bit of ambiguity.

I think Files/Notes should be used as means to give extra details and insights about the events of the past but big story related events should still be shown in the main story and through cutscenes.

Like, the identity of Nero's mother and her fate should be told through cutscenes in main story. But, how Nero grow up in order and how he joined and rose up through their ranks should be detailed in Files/Notes.

Ideally, we could have unlockable cutscenes for those parts as well, but that would not be possible without a very high budget and even if they had the money I think it would be better if they spend it on new modes and mechanics for gameplay than doing optional cutscenes.

Dahbomb

I think DMC5 should be about the twins wanting to surpass Sparda's power on their own, get out of the shadow of the LDK once and for all. Unlock dat Desperation Devil Trigger. Vergil manages to get there quicker.

As to why Vergil would want to fight Dante, that's a good question but there's a good enough reason for Vergil to want to fight Nero and that is to get his Yamato back.

I am not a writer and whatever I say will go into fanfiction territory so I am not going to bother coming up with a reason for Vergil to fight Dante/Nero.

Maybe there's a bigger threat and Vergil becomes the "villain" that Dante/Nero need him to be so they can become stronger. Maybe both of the parties are going after the same McGuffin and their paths cross, fights ensue. Point is that they can come up with quite a few reasons for it. Vergil doesn't have to be the big bad villain, he could be an anti hero by the end but there has to be some confrontation among the silver haired demons

Also please no Vergil turning into goody two shoes Vegeta. Vergil turning into yet another demon hunting professional makes him completely uninteresting.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Also please no Vergil turning into goody two shoes Vegeta. Vergil turning into yet another demon hunting professional makes him completely uninteresting.

My idea was certainly not suggesting Vergil be a "goody two shoes." I think having Vergil be the "big bad" again is the most boring thing they could possibly do with the character. It's just uninspired DBZ/Power Rangers fanfiction level stuff with every episode being the same thing over and over again and ending the exact same way. It's also why everyone is tired of Sparda-wannabe humans. It's aged and overextended.

I don't want Vergil to be a hero. I want him to grow. Him being stuck in the past makes him look like a child, not a badass. Even Dante has moved on, and Dante is a lovable manbaby. If Vergil is chasing after the same power struggle after this many years, how does that look? I mean, Desperation Devil Trigger stuff is great, but that's absolutely not mutually exclusive to him being independent and setting up shop/home somewhere else.

Just as Dante has almost surpassed his father, Vergil probably has too. I'd like him to start a life of his own somewhere far away, possibly in Europe, starting an upscale professional demon hunting business as a contrast to Dante's daily struggle. Unlike Dante, that does pro bono work, he only takes jobs that will guarantee his own ascension or accumulation of strength and power. He has the same motivations, but he goes about it in a smarter way because he's not a teenager anymore. Because of his popularity, Vergil would have accumulated a great deal of wealth and notoriety in various underground circles as distinguished and terrifying, as well as very sought after. And he will drop a client's mission in a heartbeat if it interferes with his own goals. He has no loyalty to them, but he's popular enough that it doesn't matter.

And because of the distance, he doesn't cross paths with his brother often, and he likes it that way. Vergil would never pursue Dante directly unless Dante had something in his possession that Vergil needs. He doesn't care about him enough to go after him. Vergil grabbing Yamato from Nero makes sense, but otherwise, Vergil's a lone wolf. I suppose he could chase Sparda, but I'm still pretty tired of the Sparda schtick.

Every now and again, there might be a reason for him to team up or fight Dante & Co. because they have different goals or allegiances.

Yeah, it's fanfiction stuff, but I think it works. It doesn't betray who Vergil is. He's still a ruthless and self-serving son of a bitch. But it allows Capcom the opportunity to expand him and organically integrate him subplots involving Dante and Nero.

Sorry for rambling like a madman.

Rean

And because of the distance, he doesn't cross paths with his brother often, and he likes it that way. Vergil would never pursue Dante directly unless Dante had something in his possession that Vergil needs. He doesn't care about him enough to go after him. Vergil grabbing Yamato from Nero makes sense, but otherwise, Vergil's a lone wolf. I suppose he could chase Sparda, but I'm still pretty tired of the Sparda schtick.

Every now and again, there might be a reason for him to team up or fight Dante & Co. because they have different goals or allegiances.[/spoiler]
Seeing Vergil and Nero meet in a situation similar to that would be pretty interesting. Wonder how it affect would Nero's DT.

Dahbomb

I just don't like the idea of Vergil starting a demon hunting business. It's far too much like Dante and the whole point of Vergil is that he serves as the opposite of Dante.

Would be better if Vergil just went the ronin life into the wilderness, traveling the world etc. Or maybe he eventually becomes the true prince of darkness in hell but he keeps things on peaceful terms between the human world and the demon world. Though if that happened then Dante would REALLY be out of a job.

And no matter how tired it might get... the PEOPLE want to see Dante/Nero vs Vergil showdown in all its glory. And Capcom knows this. Whatever contrived bull shit they have to come up with to make them fight.. they will. Even if it's like Batman vs Superman where they will eventually just make up and unite to take on a bigger threat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I just don't like the idea of Vergil starting a demon hunting business. It's far too much like Dante and the whole point of Vergil is that he serves as the opposite of Dante.

I can understand that, and it's a reasonable concern. To me, the contrast between Dante and Vergil is more about the practice and motivations than the base foundation.

They both wield swords. They both wear coats. They are both capable and confident.

But the difference is in what kind of sword, and what that selection says about the particular character. The difference is the type of coat and the color (the refined and sleek coat of Vergil, along with the cool blue color gives a visual distinction and tell of his personality. Whereas Dante's red coat indicates his hot headedness and affinity for flair). The difference is that while Vergil's stoic and silent with his confidence, Dante is loud mouthed and brash.

I suppose that demon hunting as a hobby or a job is just another base, but I certainly appreciate the alternative perspective.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Dante really needs someone who can stand up to him. After DMC4, he basically made everyone look stupid. I actually want Dante to get his ass kicked in DMC5, someone who will give Dante a run for his money.

As DahBomb said, we are all itching that trigger for Nero/Dante Vs Vergil fight, hell, even Nero Vs Vergil fight would be pretty bad ass too. Infact, would love to see Vergil kill Kyrie to see how rough and agressive Nero can get.

The possibilities are quite endless for DMC5, and I really hope we hear or see something atleast (even a simple confirmation) very soon.

Vergil vs Nero would work better since Vergil might want his Yamato back but even then they still need to give him (and Dante) a reason to fight each other. Even saying that they want to surpass Sparda won't be a very good excuse since Vergil knows that power can't make him like his father and Dante in DMC4 already is at a point that people are saying he has surpassed his old man.

Additionally, making Vergil the full on villain won't work either. Part of the reason that Vergil is loved so much by the fans is because even though he fights you, even if you have different opinions and goals, he still really isn't a bad guy. He's wrong, but he is not bad. He didn't try to destroy human world, or become a cruel ruler or anything like that. He just wanted to be like his father. And that something that most of us can understand and relate to. So, even if his actions were wrong but his intentions weren't (even if it is something that he never can achieve) and I think that's part of the reason why he is so loved by the fans.

What they need to do with DMC5 is introducing some new villains that are on a whole new level from Mundus and Sparda. Say that they were some ancient demons that were considered too dangerous so they were locked away years ago and now they are free or something like that. Just give us new villains that can give Nero and twins a run for their money.

Seyavesh

uhh, vergil is definitely a villain in dmc3
dude opened a portal to hell and unleashed a fuckton of demons alongside wrecking the city, probably killing a ton of people in the process

ironically this is the 'heroic' thing that DmC dante does at the end of DmC, haha

also nero v vergil totally exists guys i got the secret stash
(i should've probably swapped rebellion for yamato but eh)
rzMIgEC.gif

dude opened a portal to hell and unleashed a fuckton of demons alongside wrecking the city, probably killing a ton of people in the process

ironically this is the 'heroic' thing that DmC dante does at the end of DmC, haha

rzMIgEC.gif
DMC5 trailer preview.

RazMaTaz

Banned

rzMIgEC.gif

omgthatgif.gif

Dante V Vergil - Well Vergil could have a duel personality, his normal self and part of him is "corrupt" as Nelo Angelo/Mundus corruption still runs in his blood. This can happen intermittent times, making him do unpredicted things. The whole reason of Mundus creating Nelo Angelo in the first place was to kill Dante anyways, so....

just my 2 cents.

rzMIgEC.gif

I think Arkham was the villain in DMC3 and technically it was Arkham that opened the gate so Vergil's hands are clean :p

But seriously, the guy just didn't care. He didn't necessarily want to unleash demons on humans (that would be villainy) that was just the cost of him getting the power that he wanted, and who knows? Maybe once he had obtained Sparda's power he would have closed the gate and killed the demon that had came to human world.

At any rate, I don't think Vergil should be a definitive villain in DMC5.

BTW, that gif is sooooo hype. Capcom needs to announce DMC5 already!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Honestly, whatever they do is gravy. Even the stuff that I explicitly say would be boring, I don't care as long as they bring back the classic series to its rightful throne.

I think Arkham was the villain in DMC3 and technically it was Arkham that opened the gate so Vergil's hands are clean :p

But seriously, the guy just didn't care. He didn't necessarily want to unleash demons on humans (that would be villainy) that was just the cost of him getting the power that he wanted, and who knows? Maybe once he had obtained Sparda's power he would have closed the gate and killed the demon that had came to human world.

At any rate, I don't think Vergil should be a definitive villain in DMC5.

BTW, that gif is sooooo hype. Capcom needs to announce DMC5 already!

He was definitely a villain. He "murdered" Arkham just for having cold feet. He's blinded by his lust for power. Now, he does gain a bit of empathy and respect for his brother at the very end. Just as Dante grew from his experiences in DMC3, Vergil did too. So, I don't think it's outlandish to suggest that future appearances would give him more of an anti-hero vibe in DMC3. I absolutely agree that he shouldn't be a definitive villain. It doesn't suit him.

ShinMaruku

You are like the only one who wants this crossover.

I'm sure there can be others, their stories could have good cross over and the characters would mesh. I mean they are all half human. :p

Although I can see why some would be leery if they think oneechanbara is trash. :)

Golnei

Only crossover that makes sense is Bayonetta for obvious reasons and maybe Daekstalkers.

If you're going by aesthetics, some Castlevania characters wouldn't fit in badly, either - even an Alucard costume would look great. But any sort of collaboration would require Konami to be even remotely interested in having anything to do with games...

Golnei

Actually including other franchises in any notable capacity would be a terrible idea for the main game, but crossover costumes would be harmless, especially considering the breadth of Capcom IP available to them. Of course, that'd ideally be in addition to regular unlockable/DLC costumes, not a replacement for them - but considering what happened in the original DMC4, maybe we should be grateful for either...

Seyavesh

actually i want to amend my statement

it would be totally 100% okay if masamune date got added to the game
or a six claws weapon
probably as a costume w/ six claws weapon

edit:
i was wondering where donguri's BP runthrough vid went and discovered that 'rock queen' from the DMC anime has the youtube license trigger on it that blocks the vid in the US which is why a ton of his vids suddenly went missing
god that sucks

Golnei

From the way the concept art was foregrounded, I thought it was a model edit for a second - is there really no publicly available tool for SE yet?

As a texture edit, that's a fairly close approximation, but it might be a good idea to play around with the hue and saturation of the energy underneath the carapace to produce a closer match to the art - something closer to the inside of the coat would look better.

Just got Transformers Devastation and it's my first character action game and I'm loving it. So now I'm thinking about picking this up at some point down the line. Would this be a good next step into the genre, or would something like DmC special edition be better? Also is this game good outside of the sheer mechanics? I value stuff like pacing, encounter design, boss fights, level design, atmosphere and art direction, etc pretty highly.

Top Bottom