• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Seyavesh

Well it would be equally lazy just having Trish and Lady stick around every game and do nothing. The whole Gloria subplot was pretty dumb.

i mean, wasn't that literally glued together because of the huge dev troubles w/ dmc4 anyways? like gloria was intended to be a totally different character and then 'uhhh welp i guess trish is gloria that's how they get sparda'

i'd imagine a game with less issues wouldn't have that kinda deal. same with lady appearing.... twice? in the entire game despite having a whole new model/outfit and whatnot

edit:
wait didn't mundus kill sparda when he came back or was that actually some unknown third party

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Yeah, a compelling and charismatic general of Mundus that landed the killing blow against Sparda, and rose up the ranks after Mundus' demise is an angle that I think they could push. I just want whatever antagonist they create to be more than a big, dumb demon, an old dude, or three dots in the sky.

Golnei

If they have to fridge anyone, they should fridge Nero. He can meet up with what's left of Vergil in hell and clear up the Yamato thing, Vergil's resurrection and their knowledge of their relationship to each other at the same time.

Dahbomb

If they have to fridge anyone, they should fridge Nero. He can meet up with what's left of Vergil in hell and clear up the Yamato thing, Vergil's resurrection and their knowledge of their relationship to each other at the same time.
If Nero's gonna die then it has to be by the hand of Vergil in an epic duel of fates. I will accept no substitutes.

Mizerman

Yeah, a compelling and charismatic general of Mundus that landed the killing blow against Sparda, and rose up the ranks after Mundus' demise is an angle that I think they could push. I just want whatever antagonist they create to be more than a big, dumb demon, an old dude, or three dots in the sky.

As long as they don't fall back into the whole "power hungry human wants Sparda's power because power" thing, I'll be good.

All these talk about killing off characters, God if only I were the one making these decisions. There would have been a bloodbath :p

Seriously though, I think the genre could use more good (actual) death scenes. Hell, why stop at the genre, the whole medium would benefit greatly if it were to stop shying away from killing characters. If done right, death scenes can be really impactful and have a lasting effect not only on other characters in the game but on the player as well.

Just look at some examples of them being done right within the medium (Just naming the games, no real spoilers).
Yakuza 3
Halo Reach
The Walking Dead
. Yeah,
TWD
pretty much won the GOTY awards because of how great they managed to pull this off in it. So, really more games need to stop playing it safe and try to use death as a driving force for the plot and the narratives.

I also think it's the main reason why we generally don't have genuinely intimidating and memorable villains in the medium. It's because they rarely do anything of significance. Almost every time they try to bring destruction to the world or kill someone that player cares about in some way or the other and almost every single time player stops their plans. I personally want to see a villain so ruthless that their sheer presence would make you feel threatened and worried for what he/she might do to your favorite character. Something like Akatsuki from the first half of Naruto Shippudden
before everything went to shit.

I'm not saying that every game needs to kill their characters for the sake of making things dramatic, mind you. But I believe that developers should not shy away from killing few characters if that's what the game needs to keep things interesting.

PS: I understand that killing off main characters might not be to practical since it means that they'll be killing off gameplay stuff with them as well, but side characters should be fair game IMO.

Sesha

Claiming the villain killed Sparda makes things a lot easier by the fact that he's already dead.

Although it would be an effective opener to have a Bayonetta-esque opening with Sparda tearing down legions of the villain's minions only to be killed by the big bad bloke himself. End scene. Devil May Cry 5. Cut to opening credits over Dante fighting demonic gunslingers and luchadors in Mexico, complete with mariachi music, like a mix between El Mariachi and Hellboy.

I'm joking at that last part, obviously. Or maybe not.

Seyavesh

op6eNOi.jpg

iIyobwU.jpg

god someone please fix the material conversion in the 3dsmax tool

I dig Mundus' top lieutenant taking down Sparda and now he's on the hunt for Dante and all, but how would they explain his absence throughout the rest of Dantes life?

Fuck it, just turn Nelo Angelo into the guy and Vergil's consciousness was keeping him away.
Now we're getting into Kingdom Hearts territory.

Golnei

I dig Mundus' top lieutenant taking down Sparda and now he's on the hunt for Dante and all, but how would they explain his absence throughout the rest of Dantes life?

Fuck it, just turn Nelo Angelo into the guy and Vergil's consciousness was keeping him away.
Now we're getting into Kingdom Hearts territory.

We're not truly in Kingdom Hearts territory until they reveal that Eva's existence was split into five fragments - Trish, Gloria, Gloriana, the Perfect Amulet and Nero's mother; the latter of which had their soul encased in Red Queen and is possessed by a time-travelling child Mundus to resurrect the Goddess of Time.

I think the "general of Mundus as a new character" conceit would be okay if they play him as having absolutely no interest in the human world, and more of a professional than personal relationship with Sparda - they might have been more curious as to why Sparda betrayed them than anything, compared to Mundus' frothing rage. He could decide to wipe Dante out only because he's just become a problem by starting to affect the balance of Hell more deeply than knocking back the few demons who stray between worlds.

Trickshot

I dunno guys. I'm content with the thought of Sparda having a happy ending and passing away naturally. Just let him have it.

D:

I'd also check out the Chaser youtube tutorials in the OP if you get a chance. They're not long and serve as a great primer. It might help you with your max act timing as well.

Nice, I will check them out. Just replaying the first 3 chapters on the normal(?) difficulty helped me notice the depth of the combat already even with my limited combos. Mixing up locked on/locked off devil bringer is good fun. I had no idea locked off devil bringer did such awesome grapples on the frost and knight enemies.

Sesha

Just a quick reminder for anyone interested that DMC4 SE Vergil speedrun is up next at Awesome Games Done Quick 2016 in ten minutes: https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule. Post your twitch name in the AGDQ16 thread to be invited to the GAF twitch chat.

It'll be followed by Transformers Devastation and then RE HD.

TreIII

I think the "general of Mundus as a new character" conceit would be okay if they play him as having absolutely no interest in the human world, and more of a professional than personal relationship with Sparda - they might have been more curious as to why Sparda betrayed them than anything, compared to Mundus' frothing rage. He could decide to wipe Dante out only because he's just become a problem by starting to affect the balance of Hell more deeply than knocking back the few demons who stray between worlds.

I'd be okay with things like this...as long as such an angle was handled better than the demon brothers in the anime. Talk about a perfectly good waste of possible backstory and the characters produced thereof.

Either way, rather than finally killing Sparda off, I actually think Sparda's DOA/MIA status works better for the series, because it always means he could come back in some way (and if/when he does, it'd be assumed that things really have gotten that dire). If nothing else, I still say that what could be touted as Dante's "ultimate test", is if he can best his old man (brainwashed, cloned, testing him or what-have-you) in a fair fight.

Seyavesh

dante has been implied to have surpassed sparda in like 3 out of the 4 games he's been in, and i'm only saying 3 because i have no idea what 2 says at all

it's probably 4 out of 4

i think keeping the actual sparda enigmatic rather than actually have him be a known entity would be better- something like arkham's intro cutscene where it's just some guy pretending to him or a doppelganger would be better in terms of keeping that mysterious air about him
introducing sparda or eva as actual characters really seems like a star wars prequel level blunder waiting to happen

just having him be dead and killed by some guy who's now rising to power would be fine as a setup

Dahbomb

It's probably implied the most in DMC2 actually. Especially in game play (that's why the game is so easy AYYY!) Also Argosax was the ruler before Mundus in hell and was more powerful than Mundus based off of DMC2 canon with Despair Embodied being even stronger. Dante in DMC2 styled on the Despair Embodied which resulted in probably the coolest scene in DMC2.

It's also implied in the DMC anime. Dante also trash talks his own father when he whoops his apprentice. The final fight of the anime is Dante going up against some ridiculously powerful demon which beats the shit out of Dante and then skewers him.. Dante just laughs it off then pretty much one shots the boss. Actually he used DT for like a split second in that fight which is like a barometer for how strong that demon was compared to the other chumps in the anime.

Dat Superman status.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
introducing sparda or eva as actual characters really seems like a star wars prequel level blunder waiting to happen

It could either be Star Wars prequel level, or MGS3:Snake Eater level.

So, either shit or amazing. It's definitely a risk either way.

Mizerman

I used to be on board with a Sparda prequel, but that ship has sailed.

It could either be a good thing that explains Sparda (and Eva) being badasses, but it could turn out to be Anakin/Padme tier and I don't want to see that happen...again.

Dahbomb

I first want an outstanding DMC.

A DMC game I can claim as the GOAT action game without putting an asterisk by it. That will give me enough confidence in a Sparda prequel.

Sparda prequel has the opportunity to do things not done in a DMC game before. Stuff like demon summons, dual wield devil arms, spells etc.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Dante. First and foremost. Front and center. Capcom is not going to miss the opportunity to cash in on his return.

I still think the Sparda sequel a la MGS3 has huge potential, but there's no fucking around right now. Classic DMC needs to make a comeback.

Seyavesh

i just tried to play dmc1 after watching a stream from bbcody and wow geez uh
this game feels really bad
like holy shit, there's a ton of startup on doing anything. it's like playing dmc3 in 10-20f lag

Dahbomb

i just tried to play dmc1 after watching a stream from bbcody and wow geez uh
this game feels really bad
like holy shit, there's a ton of startup on doing anything. it's like playing dmc3 in 10-20f lag
Is this your first time playing the game? And please tell me you aren't playing the PAL version.

DMC1 is just a bit slower than non Turbo DMC3.

gunbo13

DMC1 is still great. I played in on ePSXe last which helped my eyes. It isn't DMC3 but not every game has to be. It also came out in 2001.

It's also GOTY time so just want to vent here a bit. Another game with bad combat wins. BB is the best game since 2008. I <3 Valkyria Chronicles.

I'm all for killing few characters guys, but I don't think doing a "demon who killed Sparda" would really work right now.

First off, they shouldn't kill the most important character in the universe off screen. That's just lame.

Second, a demon who killed an already weakened Sparda (remember what Arkham said in DMC3) shouldn't pose much of threat to Dante.

And third, this guy killed Sparda.... so what? I get that it would act as a good motivation for Dante wanting to take him out, but as a player why should I be impressed by that? All the games have been telling me thus far about how great Sparda was and how he kicked some serious ass in his times but that's all just talk. A legend. They haven't really showed me anything yet so some guy killing Sparda, doesn't really mean anything to me since I didn't really know him.

Especially since Dante has managed to beat a few Sparda knock offs when they were even using his power to get stronger.

Now, if we were to play as Sparda and see and experience his greatness for ourselves and then some guy came along and beat him (while he still was a pretty formidable opponent back in his primes in demon world), now that guy would make for an interesting villain.

IMO, If we wanna go the route of "demon who killed/captured your father" then Nero might be a better candidate since we all know how badass Vergil was in DMC3. Say that this new guy is one of Mundus's generals and he was the one who captured Vergil at the end of DMC3 when he charged towards Mundus. I think that might work better for now, than the demon who killed Sparda. At least for Nero, since he is nowhere near as powerful as Dante and Vergil, so a demon who managed to best Vergil would pose a real threat to Nero.

Dahbomb

DMC1 is still great. I played in on ePSXe last which helped my eyes. It isn't DMC3 but not every game has to be. It also came out in 2001.

It's also GOTY time so just want to vent here a bit. Another game with bad combat wins. BB is the best game since 2008. I <3 Valkyria Chronicles.
GOTY isn't about best combat, it's about best overall game. Witcher 3 might have worse combat than BB (well not might, it does) but it does a lot of things better along with having a ridiculous scope.

However, I am still saddened that writing in games seems to be more valued than game play these days. A game with bad writing, good play will not win GOTY (like Bayonetta 2) but a game with good writing, bad gameplay will win GOTY (Walking Dead).

gunbo13

GOTY isn't about best combat, it's about best overall game. Witcher 3 might have worse combat than BB (well not might, it does) but it does a lot of things better along with having a ridiculous scope.

However, I am still saddened that writing in games seems to be more valued than game play these days. A game with bad writing, good play will not win GOTY (like Bayonetta 2) but a game with good writing, bad gameplay will win GOTY (Walking Dead).
Back in the day, gameplay (combat in this example) was all that mattered. Even today, people go ape shit when Mario jump physics seem off yet are ok with mediocre/average combat, just as long as it is wrapped with a pretty story. Things shifted drastically around the mid 2000s. I blame Half Life.

PS: Half Life is awesome.

Seyavesh

Is this your first time playing the game? And please tell me you aren't playing the PAL version.

DMC1 is just a bit slower than non Turbo DMC3.

i'm playing the US version, and it's my first time since i was a kid playin' the game.
the biggest thing that makes it slower is the gunfire. melee swings are roughly the same as non-turbo dmc3 and jumps are significantly slower (not that it matters too much) but firing guns is highly unsatisfying- they take an extremely long time to start up, rather than being nearly instant. the time it takes for dante to fire off a round when you press the button feels like the same amount that it takes in REmake to both ready up and fire

shotgun twitching is fun at the very least but only because of how slow that stuff is otherwise.

the backgrounds/general setting is still pretty great, though

Dahbomb

Back in the day, gameplay (combat in this example) was all that mattered. Even today, people go ape shit when Mario jump physics seem off yet are ok with mediocre/average combat, just as long as it is wrapped with a pretty story. Things shifted drastically around the mid 2000s. I blame Half Life.

PS: Half Life is awesome.
Half Life has a pretty minimalistic story compared to the games that win these days. Plus the game play and mechanics were solid while havin no cutscene interruptions.

I blame MGS and Shenmue to be honest. And MGS is one of my favorite game series.

gunbo13

Half Life has a pretty minimalistic story compared to the games that win these days. Plus the game play and mechanics were solid while havin no cutscene interruptions.

I blame MGS and Shenmue to be honest. And MGS is one of my favorite game series.
I'd say it was a combination. The three titles were at the advent of interacting storytelling in games. Half Life wasn't story heavy but it made aspects that usually were FMV, still images, etc... into interactive experiences. Even if the only difference at the time for much of HL was moving the camera along with real-time rendering. MGS was about the same time and really hit the narrative hard. It also made previously often non-interactive scenes interactive, vents, etc... Shenmue took it further than HL. When the camera movement or simply WASD isn't enough, add button prompts to force the interactivity.

There were blessings and curses.

I wouldn't say there was any game in particular that stands out, it's just the nature of technology and progression. Even back to games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill which had shite gameplay but had a huge emphasis on story and is yet known for having some of the worst dialogue in videos. Really it fails in every aspect of a video game but pushed itself regardless. But then you get games like Final Fantasy 7 which shifted the series drastically which resulted in the player just "wheelbarrowing" characters around to the next cutscene.

Even story telling in the NES era was just as intrusive and/or important back then. Megaman, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania all have a strong emphasis on story telling.

As for the whole voting GOTY (Bayonetta 2 vs The Walking Dead)...eh. It means nothing really.

Dahbomb

These things matter because they end up shaping the industry. Just like Metacritic.

Like a game such as Witcher 3 getting 200 GOTY, getting high MC and selling a lot essentially shapes the industry which means more games will include more open level design, more narrative and more RPG stuff. Which is the opposite of something like Bloodborne. That translates to more games like Witcher 3 and less like BB.

Not that there's anything wrong with Witcher 3 but that's what these GOTY awards mean.

Are there really no checkpoints in levels in this game? I died in a secret mission...A SECRET MISSION...and hit continue only to be plopped back at the start of the level and have to smack all those stupid spinny things around again. Wtf.

Top Bottom