• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Sesha

Did Ken Bogard leak the roster and mechanics pre or post-announcement? I can't remember anymore. I think it was post.

And man was 2005-6 a good time to be a DMC fan. The series was redeemed with 3. We then got a DMC4 teaser at E3 2-3 months later, followed by another teaser at TGS along with a trailer for DMC3SE. Less than a year later we had DMC3SE with playable Vergil for the first time, to keep us warm until DMC4. Then a couple months later at TGS 2006 we got our first proper glimpse of DMC4. Two whole minutes of HD DMC goodness. Followed by a steady stream of DMC4 news until it released Q1 2008.

Thinking back I wonder why we got so much DMC-related stuff in such quick succession. Even that shit house anime that gave us back DMC1 Dante, hanging out with Trish and Lady which served as a connector between DMC1 and 4. Maybe they felt like they had to make up for the disappointment that was 2. Or maybe the higher ups just wanted to strike while the iron was hot, like they did with DMC2, but with a realization that they needed someone that was proven to make good DMC games to helm the franchise. Looking back, the whole explosion of the franchise with 3-SE-anime-4 was too good to be true. Too much in too little time.

Additionally, there was a long wait between DMC4s announcement (summer 2005) to release. The long wait coupled with the anticipation and the promise of DMC4 (HD DMC featuring a new protagonist with new mechanics + Dante with style-switching) probably didn't help DMC4s reception. They kinda did the same thing with DmC. It dragged on so long by the time the DmC was out all the hate had mostly been replaced with apathy.
Mindful of that I'm kinda glad DMC5 is taking so long. Sure, 8 years and counting is a hell of a long wait for a proper sequel, but when they do announce it I'd rather not wait 2+ years until its out. On their side the marketing is probably way cheaper as well.

Sorry, what was I talking about, again?

Well, I guess I asked the wrong question, is there anything that haven't already been leaked about SFV? I mean, wow!

And yeah I remember that T-Rex rumor, lol. It was more crazy that it actually happened in RE6, hahaha.

Wasn't there another crazy *leak* about Mundus using tears of innocent children to make time machine or something? Man, those were the times, lol. Everyday we would hear something nuts about DmC and its supposed ending. It's a shame that the actual ending (and the overall story) was such a let down.

Dahbomb

Well, I guess I asked the wrong question, is there anything that haven't already been leaked about SFV? I mean, wow!

And yeah I remember that T-Rex rumor, lol. It was more crazy that it actually happened in RE6, hahaha.

Wasn't there another crazy *leak* about Mundus using tears of innocent children to make time machine or something? Man, those were the times, lol. Everyday we would hear something nuts about DmC and its supposed ending. It's a shame that the actual ending (and the overall story) was such a let down.
That was from the same leak.

BadWolf

Just finished Lightning Returns and my mind is blown at how good it was.

If Vanquish and RE6 are the closest TPSs have gotten to being character action games then LR is the equivalent for turn based RPGs. The combat system is just brilliant.

You have three Schemas (think Dante's styles) that you can switch between quickly and seamlessly (exactly like Dante). Unlike Dante though they are fully customizable, you can equip individual weapons, armor, accessories and abilities (of which there are very many) to each Schema. All armor has their unique quirks and even attacks, like the monk garb sort of has the Bruce Lee yellow going on and has Lightning do Ryu style tatsus all over the place.

Each Schema also has its own individual ATB bar during combat, they are called ATB but unlike classic Final Fantasies in LR they function more like stamina bars. So in that regard you manage them more like you would stamina in a Souls game.

In terms of offense, there is just frame timing. On everything. Think Nero style just frame timing on every attack hit in a combo. This also applies to all magic as well. Just framing attacks makes them do more damage, more stagger and gives Lightning more poise. If you just frame status ailment spells then they have an almost 100% chance of sticking.

On defense you have blocking, counterblows (think counter stances from Dragon's Dogma) and evasion. Just frame timing again applies to blocking and results in parries. And there are various types of special guards from medical guards, steel guards to guards that result in magic spells being cast.

In terms of equipment it's just so unique with various give and take going on. Like you can have accessories that give you haste, shell etc. in exchange for health or you can speed up ATB recovery by exposing yourself to big damage. You also have weapons that let you steal status buffs from enemies.

You can also activate Overdrive, which functions similar to Quick Silver/Witch Time.

And all of the above and more flows smoothly together as fast as you would expect from a good character action game, from super quick style switches to quick animation cancels. If you start an attack or spell and see an enemy do an attack and hit block then Lightning will cancel whatever she is doing and block.

On the enemy front I would say they are probably better designed and take advantage of the game systems better than the ones in both DMC3 and DMC4. You have enemies that are weak to attacks, magic, elemental attacks, stagger, double stagger, parries, counterblows etc. They also have properly telegraphed attack animations.

In terms of bosses there are at least 3 great character rival level bosses which I would have loved to fight in a DMC. And yeah, they come complete with awesome character themes.

Oh and from the very beginning of the game you can access a menu from the hub that lets you re-fight any major fight you have fought. This list gets updated every time you fight a boss or major enemy. How the fug is this still not a thing in damn near all character action games out there?

So yeah, highly recommend checking the game out if you have a chance.

Seyavesh

does nobody have the text for that fake DmC leak?
i couldn't find it despite searching a bit

also in pxz2 there's a post-battle dialogue thing where vergil asks maya (from phoenix wright) if she could summon the ghost of sparda

does nobody have the text for that fake DmC leak?
i couldn't find it despite searching a bit

also in pxz2 there's a post-battle dialogue thing where vergil asks maya (from phoenix wright) if she could summon the ghost of sparda

Couldn't find the T-Rex one but here you go:
Hey guys,

I see you've been getting some fake leaks recently. Well you rest assured that I am here to set the record straight, because **** this game and **** my job. $20 an hour is not worth my time on this ****, so I'm willing to risk it.

Anyways, the game is about 6 hours long on Nephilim with all orbs and Secret Missions. Vergil is the final boss, and he has a second form (because these guys love huge monsters and don't understand the trill of man-to-man fights). His first form is extremely easy, and most of the challenge comes in the second form. Think Dracula in the opening of SoTN: Vergil just teleports, does a combo or uses Summoned Swords, and then leaves himself open for awhile. Repeat. The second form is monstrous but I won't reveal what it is. It is not, however, a dinosaur. In total there are 6 bosses including Vergil.

Oh, and the ending? Well it turns out Donte isn't actually meant to be Dante. He's a demon created by the true Mundus and has been put through a simulation of sorts. Mundus is trying to create a replica of the Son of Sparda who can challenge him. However, it isn't working. Donte manages to escape to the human world however at the end, so its a bit ambiguous as to where they'll go from here.

Bosses

Succubus/Poison
Hunter
Bob Barbas
Lilith
Mundus
Vergil
You actually fight Lilith and her child at the same time. They fight in phases ie. chop off his life bar a bit, then she comes out and you go after her.

Ugly monster fetus with huge AoE.

There's a QTE where Dante stabs Lilith and he yells "Better double wrap for this!"

Squirrel spunk is never mentioned in the game. Ever. I'm wondering where that magazine article got that info.

Vergil's references in his boss fight

He references all of Vergil's battle lines from DMC3. Except "you won't forget this devil's power"

Begone!

On disc costumes

Super Dante and a DmC version of LDK is all thats on disc. Coatless is on there too, you unlocked after the first mission.

Sparda's appearance

like Dante/Vergil but with darker skin and thin, whispy white hair. He wears a tattered and scorched white and purple officer's uniform with a shoulder plate and has chains wrapped around his limbs. He uses all of Dante's weapons though; no Force Edge/woozy/Sparda sword

Mundus and new Mundus
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/supposed-dmc-play-tester-leak-probably-fake.13638/

And here is another one:
Vax9OQK.png
I know I've said it before, but man those were the times, lol.

We did have an actual leak, though:
http://devilmaycry.org/threads/so-this-guy-at-4chan-claims-he-tested-the-game.10604/

I can't find them but we had even more of these "leaks". I remember one that was "hinting" that Sparda would come and that Dante had to fight him. There were other stuff as well but it has been years so I can't really remember them.

Even though they were bullshits but still it was fun reading and talking about them at the time. Especially the T-Rex one, hahaha.

Whew, Just S'd every mission on every difficulty with Nero and Dante. I think my hands are going to fall off. Now to beat BP with the ladies and I am all done.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
does it have a hitbox when like that?

It kind of just looks like the roundtrip recovery bugging out because it can't find Vergil's back, so probably not.

Whew, Just S'd every mission on every difficulty with Nero and Dante. I think my hands are going to fall off. Now to beat BP with the ladies and I am all done.

Nice job! BP with the ladies is a relative cakewalk. You've pretty much hit smooth sailing.

Yo, Dahbomb is banned. Anyone know what what happened?

Yeah its weird. I don't see anything in his recent post history that would be objectionable.

Nice job! BP with the ladies is a relative cakewalk. You've pretty much hit smooth sailing.

Lady seems to be pretty easy to get far with in the BP (her shotgun is incredibly overpowered) but I'm struggling with Trish. Her guns do almost no damage and she doesn't seem to have any strong moves. Anyone have any success with Trish in the BP? I can't even get passed the frog.

donguri posted a short tutorial talking about his button config and way he grips his controller. Pretty hard to get used to but he does mention some of the advantages to using your index finger for style switching. I'm hoping he makes more Dante tutorials in the future.

Sesha

BadWolf now. Another one bites the dust. Next will probably be Cody, or me again.

donguri posted a short tutorial talking about his button config and way he grips his controller. Pretty hard to get used to but he does mention some of the advantages to using your index finger for style switching. I'm hoping he makes more Dante tutorials in the future.

My fingers hurt just watching it. Donguri is inhuman.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
BadWolf now.

BadWolf straight up insulted someone in a rather controversial topic. I winced when I saw his post. I'm assuming that's what it was. I'm sure he'll be back soon. It was a pretty lukewarm offense.

If you ever look in old DMC/DmC threads, they're graveyards. Gray names everywhere.

Lady seems to be pretty easy to get far with in the BP (her shotgun is incredibly overpowered) but I'm struggling with Trish. Her guns do almost no damage and she doesn't seem to have any strong moves. Anyone have any success with Trish in the BP? I can't even get passed the frog.

Here's a longplay. You can just skip to wherever you're having trouble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFstSJJCMYQ

The toughest part might be the multiple Blitzes.

Sesha

BadWolf straight up insulted someone in a rather controversial topic. I winced when I saw his post. I'm assuming that's what it was. I'm sure he'll be back soon. It was a pretty lukewarm offense.

I didn't see the specific post(s), then. He'll probably be back in two weeks, like I did.

If you ever look in old DMC/DmC threads, they're graveyards. Gray names everywhere.

Of course. "Welcome to GAF", etc. Don't even need to look in old threads. Just 2-3 months back and there're gray names all over.

I missed this. Congrats. For your DMC4SE graduation, make a short combo video when you're done and post it here. :p

Maybe we'll feature it if we do another DMC-GAF combo video.

Seyavesh

throw round trip-> DT'd spinning bird kick 99% of the time
pandora laser blitzes when they're in their spawn anim, otherwise DT guns them- mash as hard as you can because DT guns straight up don't have a firing/mash limit and each shot does pretty good damage
do rapidfire pandora missiles when you're out of DT meter

that's basically it, she's super simple to actually clear stuff/win with
i ended up trying DMD god must die and DMD decida must die dante w trish and the same no damage strat still works on them because of how badly he gets wrecked by round trip- beat both first try because of that

TreIII

The "DMC4 betrayalton announcement" thread will always be something I laugh about.

That, and whoever made the photoshop edit that made a "You Go, Girl!" style ranking.

BadWolf now. Another one bites the dust. Next will probably be Cody, or me again.

I can't since I'm on my 7th ban. One more and I'm out. Deese mods, man.

Before I even signed up to GAF I had NeoGAF drama on my DmC YouTube videos. I had Gbraga(through DMC.org) explain it to me. I still frequently see "that person" around on GAF too.

Congratulations

Sesha

There's a key DmC team member posting in the LTTP: DmC thread. I suggest everyone here check it out and pick his brain while you can. And please, no antagonistic, passive-aggressive or sarcastic questions, especially not about Tameem or Alex Jones. It's not needed. Your fellow community members will all be very disappointed if you do. :( I have faith in this community that no one here would want to do something so rash.

Mizerman

There's a key DmC team member posting in the LTTP: DmC thread. I suggest everyone here check it out and pick his brain while you can. And please, no antagonistic, passive-aggressive or sarcastic questions, especially not about Tameem or Alex Jones. It's not needed. Your fellow community members will all be very disappointed if you do. :( I have faith in this community that no one here would want to do something so rash.

I think at this point in time, tempers can be checked at the door. It happened and it's done.

I hope.

Seyavesh

Those damn dual Blitz's on Bloody Palace floor 85 keep blindsiding me with that charge attack. They've ended many a run.

yeahhh that floor is basically the last real hurdle as trish because you just end up mashing DT guns or dying and that's it

you can't pandora laser without great risk

Goddammit Dante!

Spent an hour making my way to the last level of BP using Super Vergil to get the "Untouchable" trophy and just as the level starts Dante hits me with a freaking stinger :( What is more frustrating is that I almost had this trophy with Trish as well, but at the last second he hit me with a single shot from Ebony & Ivory. Dammit!

I would love to give a piece of my mind to the person who came up with this bullshit trophy. I mean for God's sake why BP?! Why couldn't they just make it any Dante boss fight in DMD difficulty.... Ugh!

Seyavesh

it's really easy to get with trish because you can do a similar thing as nero's gunshot->buster except round trip shreds the shit out of him

he seems to take fixed damage per hit or something because even in decida must die dante is still extremely simplistic to just cheap out with round trip

OniBaka

Goddammit Dante!

I would love to give a piece of my mind to the person who came up with this bullshit trophy. I mean for God's sake why BP?! Why couldn't they just make it any Dante boss fight in DMD difficulty.... Ugh!
I agree so dumb, luckily I got that trophy out of the way with second Vergil attempt.

Killing Dante without taking a single hit in general isn't that big of challenge and you can achieve that with few tries, but making you go through the whole BP in order to get shot at him for the trophy is what makes this really time consuming and frustrating.

it's really easy to get with trish because you can do a similar thing as nero's gunshot->buster except round trip shreds the shit out of him

he seems to take fixed damage per hit or something because even in decida must die dante is still extremely simplistic to just cheap out with round trip

Yeah, with Trish I was using the round trip -> Pandora laser which had me this close to beating him but then he decided to parry/block my last couple of round trips and at the last second hit me with an Ebony & Ivory shot.... sigh.

I guess for now I'll try to beat BP with the remaining characters (which are Lady and Dante) and then focus back on getting this trophy.

Killing Dante without taking a single hit in general isn't that big of challenge and you can achieve that with few tries, but making you go through the whole BP in order to get shot at him for the trophy is what makes this really time consuming and frustrating.

Yeah, with Trish I was using the round trip -> Pandora laser which had me this close to beating him but then he decided to parry/block my last couple of round trips and at the last second hit me with an Ebony & Ivory shot.... sigh.

I guess for now I'll try to beat BP with the remaining characters (which are Lady and Dante) and then focus back on getting this trophy.

Try it with Lady. Just do fullcharge jump Handgun shots while running around. Basically do the same thing as you would if you were trying to no-damage DMD M10 Dante (which is to run around the room charging, then hop-release). I managed to knock out the Lady trophy and the Untouchable trophy at the same time.

RazMaTaz

Banned
Capcom has posted its update on their game sales:

Dragon’s Dogma: 2,400,000
Lost Planet: 5,900,000
Dead Rising: 8,500,000
Sengoku BASARA: 3,800,000
Monster Hunter: 36,000,000
Ace Attorney: 5,600,000
Devil May Cry: 15,000,000
Onimusha: 8,000,000
Dino Crisis: 4,400,000
Marvel vs. Capcom: 7,000,000
Resident Evil: 66,000,000
Breath of Fire: 3,100,000
Final Fight: 3,200,000
Street Fighter: 37,000,000
Mega Man: 30,000,000
Ghosts’n Goblins: 4,200,000
Commando: 1,200,000

EDIT: for some odd reason I cant post a link without it going ****, but it is freely available on N4G

Top Bottom