• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition |OT| Two girls, one motivated Vergil

Finally managed to get the Untouchable trophy at my fifth try with super Dante. Now, that's something I never ever wanna do again.

Now all is left is finishing game on Human difficulty and beat BP with Lady.

YES! Third time is indeed the charm. Lady's BP is finally down. The damn Angelos on mid 60 levels got me twice but finally beat them in my third try and it was a smooth ride from there to the end.

All is left now is to finish and S rank the Human difficulty. Man, I can already taste the Platinum :)

Sesha

Crazy that it's been 8 years already. DmC had its 3rd anniversary two weeks ago as well.

Capcom has posted its update on their game sales:

Dragon’s Dogma: 2,400,000
Lost Planet: 5,900,000
Dead Rising: 8,500,000
Sengoku BASARA: 3,800,000
Monster Hunter: 36,000,000
Ace Attorney: 5,600,000
Devil May Cry: 15,000,000
Onimusha: 8,000,000
Dino Crisis: 4,400,000
Marvel vs. Capcom: 7,000,000
Resident Evil: 66,000,000
Breath of Fire: 3,100,000
Final Fight: 3,200,000
Street Fighter: 37,000,000
Mega Man: 30,000,000
Ghosts’n Goblins: 4,200,000
Commando: 1,200,000

EDIT: for some odd reason I cant post a link without it going ****, but it is freely available on N4G

Interesting that the series overall sales went up by 1m to 15m. Even if no singular game was updated, it's a good show for the franchise.

Seyavesh

i can't remember if anyone noted that vstyle happened last month or not but actually getting around to really trying to play dmc3 vergil at a high level and re-watching blowhard's entry makes me go 'fuuuuck' at that sword formation management

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCzOl-wmvk

edit:
for some reason i feel like putting a gif here
yPuxp6X.gif

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Donguri's DMC3SE Story Mode Boss Rush Playthrough w/ Style Switcher Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nls-hFyP8mE

For people that love the pacing and story of DMC3, it's a real treat. You can tell Donguri has a specific goal with each boss fight. It's very technical, creative, and fun to watch. Not especially speedy or absurdly JC focused. He just wants to make sure to showcase the movesets and styles in interesting and deliberate ways.

Mizerman

Donguri's DMC3SE Story Mode Boss Rush Playthrough w/ Style Switcher Mod:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nls-hFyP8mE

For people that love the pacing and story of DMC3, it's a real treat. You can tell Donguri has a specific goal with each boss fight. It's very technical, creative, and fun to watch. Not especially speedy or absurdly JC focused. He just wants to make sure to showcase the movesets and styles in interesting and deliberate ways.

Watching this.

Sesha

Another quarter, another embarrassing DMC-related thread. I really hope DMC5 includes all the great features from both DMC4 and DmC so I can finally stop caring about either of them.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1179302

Might be of interest to you guys as well, checked out some gameplay and the way the lead fights felt reminiscent of Vergil.

Speaking of, the gaffer-made Proxy Blade Zero is currently on sale: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313980/

I hope Heart & Slash comes out of Early Access soon.

Mizerman

DMC5 better blow everyone away or the DmC only fans will come out of the wood works and start this all over again.

Hell, even I'll be tempted on calling out Capcom if they even tried any BS when it came to DMC5.

I gave them some leeway in the case of DMC4. Not this time.

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread but man, I have to say. I'm glad a lot of you guys here will never get swept in that nonsense that's on the front page. I'm just sitting here, excited as all hell to see the kinds of stuff they can take from DmC for the next installment and people are still arguing over "gamers hate change", "fuck you" scene, objective/subjective pitter-patter. Even after that enlightening as fuck LTTP with TribladeX. Just... ugh

I dunno, I needed to vent a little. I don't really do that. :B Just don't change DMC-Gaf.

Seyavesh

it's way too tempting to be extremely inflammatory in that thread so i just relegated myself to a gimmick

because man some of people in there are really, really fucking stupid
like seriously holy shit how fucking dumb do you have to be to see dmc3's intro cutscene as dead serious
i feel like if they watched duck soup they'd be complaining about how there wasn't enough drama and action

Sesha

DMC4 had a lot going against it.

- They were working on a relatively new engine as DMC4 was only the second project for MT Framework.
- DMC4 was the first HD DMC. HD development was a lot more resource-intensive but like many other Japanese developers in particular, they didn't have the proper pipeline for working on an HD game efficiently. In one interview in the art book they mentioned how they did everything from scratch, and how teams at Capcom worked completely separate. That worked fine in the SD era but made things incredibly difficult starting during last gen. So the game obviously suffered for it. Just compare with other major JP games like MGS4 and FF13 which also felt rushed and bare bones.
- The team was really losing interest after having worked on DMC2, DMC3, DMC3SE in rapid succession and felt they'd spent most of their good ideas during DMC3.
- Itsuno and a lot of his team had only worked on DMC games, and their lack of experience in for example the level design is really obvious with DMC4.
- It's highly possible they didn't account for how expensive HD development was when determining the budget.
- The Xbox 360 port was announced mid-development. IIRC the team only learned about it the week before.
- The PS3 was notoriously difficult to develop for because of the Cell processor.

None of that should be an issue.

- Porting is simple. They're developing on PC and the architecture between PS4/X1/PC is really similar.
- The team has had a lot time away from the series, and Itsuno managed to direct his dream game.
- The team has a ton more experience with HD development. They probably know they can't make everything from scratch.
- If they use Panta Rhei, the tech should be familiar. If they use UE4, it's a really solid engine and they have access to tons of support from Epic, and they'll still be able to customize it with internal tech which they should be familiar with.
- They should have a much better idea of what kind of budget is necessary after DMC4, DmC and DMC4SE.

Some of this might be badly phrased and tenuously relevant, so pardon me if so. I'm half asleep atm. But regardless of what problems DMC4 faced, they shouldn't face any of those issues with DMC5.
If DMC5 has any major flaws comparable to DMC4 or DmC, there's no excusing it, barring some extraordinary circumstances like Capcom going full Konami or something. I really don't want to find myself saying, "why didn't they include *insert obvious feature*".

it's way too tempting to be extremely inflammatory in that thread so i just relegated myself to a gimmick

because man some of people in there are really, really fucking stupid
like seriously holy shit how fucking dumb do you have to be to see dmc3's intro cutscene as dead serious
i feel like if they watched duck soup they'd be complaining about how there wasn't enough drama and action

I was so irate I didn't even finish my post properly, lol.

ShinMaruku

DMC5 better blow everyone away or the DmC only fans will come out of the wood works and start this all over again.

That won't stop them, just will make it easier to ignore them.

I only used that thread to say it was probably Inafune's love of the west that made that game. Then he berates Japanese development of retreading the past and what does he do for his next two big projects? Make Megaman that man is a hypocrite and a dove kut.

Dahbomb

I have stopped making giant posts in DmC threads because I know most people don't really read it and will instead latch on to the same scapegoats and strawman over and over again. It's just easier that way. That and the drive by posts which just make things worse. And this is from both sides although the occasional neutral person comes in just to stir the pot.

As far as DMC5 goes, people should expect a much lower budget this time around. Even SFV which is money hated by Sony appears to be on a lower budget. Plus it's still new technology for Itsuno and co, they haven't really made PS4/XB1 games yet.

Just because the team has had experience in other game genres doesn't mean their level design is where it should be. Dragon's Dogma's level design is pretty standard fair open world RPG, nothing stellar. Strength of that game is also the combat.

And just because it was criticized in DMC4 doesn't mean they won't make some of the same mistakes again. Capcom can interpret sales of DMC4 as "this is what the fans wanted.. give them DMC4.5!"

Golnei

Just because the team has had experience in other game genres doesn't mean their level design is where it should be. Dragon's Dogma's level design is pretty standard fair open world RPG, nothing stellar. Strength of that game is also the combat.

Dragon's Dogma wasn't anything groundbreaking in terms of level design, but the dungeons were still well ahead of DMC4's environments, as far as layout and verticality are concerned. It could be due to the lack of fixed angles and the much closer default camera, but I found that the camera was a lot less obtrusive as well. While neither are fantastic, it's a clear improvement from DMC4.

I actually find those kind of threads to pretty entertaining. It never sizes to amaze me how ignorant some people are about the whole DmC situation. I'm talking about both sides.
Congratulations!
Thanks man :)

It took a while but it was definitely worth it.
This E3 guys I can feel it, Darkslayer did you post this image a while ago on here I don't remember?
ITSUNOTWITTER.png
A friend of mine made this for last year's E3, hopefully it happens this year.
aQIBXui.jpg

And since my university is taking ages to do my graduation stuff, I MIGHT actually be here to see the announcement.

Seyavesh

i ended up playing devil may cry 1 again to see how far i'd get this time and i guess i'm pretty close to the end of the game since i got sparda and killed vergil's ass + wrecked nightmare again
aaaand
i totally forgot that sparda is wack in dmc1
no air hike/doublejump, no DT and worst of all it doesn't have any dang unique moves- it just transforms for dante's alastor moveset

what a bummer, 'cuz that was pretty much what was driving me to keep on playing, haha. i figure i might as well finish up the game now that i'm so close to the end but man i really hope trish gets a full on sparda moveset some day 'cuz geez that thing has never gotten anything to match the fixation on it in dmc3 and 4

Congratulations

I'm pretty much out of the whole DmC vs DMC thing now anyway. The problem is "I don't know what I'm talking about"(DMC fans) vs "I don't know what I'm talking about" (DmC fans).
GuardianE, Seshas and Dahbombs posts summed it up nicely.

It never sizes to amaze me how ignorant some people are about the whole DmC situation.
Plus you come off as a bit of a bellend when you say "look, I know what I'm talking about, you don't".
...says the DmC fanboy.

Sesha

Unrelated, but GameTrailers is dead now. RIP FinalBosman, Huber Hype, GT Time, press conference streams, crazy bets and so on. We'll never have their collective reactions to DMC5.

This fucking year so far. Godspeed GT crew.

Dahbomb

Unrelated, but GameTrailers is dead now. RIP FinalBosman, Huber Hype, GT Time, press conference streams, crazy bets and so on. We'll never have their collective reactions to DMC5.

Rest in pepperonis.

Used to listen to Invisible Walls all the time. Their pop fiction was some of their best and that Zelda Timline video is incredible

i am an insane person and here are some dmc2 trish combos that 100% consist of 'shoot gun throw round trip'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImBqViYxtwM

for real though like the description says i am actually quite bothered at dmc2 trish have a bunch of interesting and unique things vs 4se trish's stuff
Trish really fun to play in that game. Good stuff.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
So, I was playing the Alpha Build of NightCry (formerly Project Scissors) that was a Kickstarter game, and I came across this guy:
RsWrVm0.png

Seyavesh

So, I was playing the Alpha Build of NightCry (formerly Project Scissors) that was a Kickstarter game, and I came across this guy:
RsWrVm0.png

the disease is spreading

edit:
i guess i should post the rest of my dmc1 field trip:
i finished up the game- that mundus boss fight is pretty awful. like sanctus tier or whatever evil pope is called. boring + space harrier with inverted controls to make it annoying
after getting sparda i ended up just switching back to alastor anyways because it's way, way, WAY better than sparda in every single way
probably the most interesting thing about the game is how sparse red orbs are- it kinda reminds me of dmc3's progression in the early bits where you are barely getting anything except extended throughout the entire game
other notable stuff is how extremely short missions are once you know what to do and where to go and my increased confusion at the statement that the game has good pacing or really interesting combat/enemy design

to expound on the combat thing, i basically just shotgun hiked or grenade rolled my way through the entire game wondering when the challenge or interesting/unique encounters would come
really the only roadblock was the phantom 1 fight because i didnt realize that i could jump on him/attack his back without being hurt until phantom 2 so i killed his ass the slow way
even when i would take hits i generated DT at such an insane rate and kept an extremely low DT downtime that nothing ever really seemed to challenge me except oddly enough the initial phantom hallway encounters where i tried ot helm breaker him to death instead of using vortex to make him a joke

to conclude:
god sparda sucks so bad
man they've been re-using a lot of animations since DMC1/man dmc3 has a lot of dmc1 assets
shotgun hiking owns and grenade rolling trivializes the entire game including the big epic nelo angelo 3 fight which is really funny because i can imagine that played into how vergil does not give one flying fuck about kalina ann projectiles in dmc3's final fight/how kalina ann is the only gun with no royal guard cancel points
the ending bit where trish gives dante her power giving a cool yellow DT electric aura is neat.
devils never cry is superior to all other dmc themes

Top Bottom