• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation |OT| Airi > Your Waifu

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedBoot

Cant wait to see

tumblr_mi603ztcGI1qbxqfpo1_500.png

And Daichi and the Anguished One.

Where are his pants? I thought he had pants in the game.

Currently near the end of Day 5 in the actual game, so I should be able to finish it before the show catches up to that. Not sure how they're going to do this in 13 episodes though. Maybe if they cut out all the social link-ish stuff and just focus on the Septentriones? One of the cool things about the P4 anime was that they managed to at least touch on all of the social links alongside the plot, I'd hate to see this one shortened.

duckroll

Where are his pants? I thought he had pants in the game.

Currently near the end of Day 5 in the actual game, so I should be able to finish it before the show catches up to that. Not sure how they're going to do this in 13 episodes though. Maybe if they cut out all the social link-ish stuff and just focus on the Septentriones? One of the cool things about the P4 anime was that they managed to at least touch on all of the social links alongside the plot, I'd hate to see this one shortened.

They kept Operation Box in. That's all that matters. Lol.

PK Gaming

Whelp, I'm in.

I've been reading some of the manga. The general events are the same, but play out differently so far. Kinda less cool, actually.

Daichi and Io are basically sidelined, and I think they completely forgot about Joe :[

Real talk: Joe is the best character in DS2. He's just so insanely likeable and awesome.

zoku88

Man, for the life of me, I can't remember my final team.

100% certain that I had ROUTESPOILER
Anguished One
. Also Makoto, because she is my true waifu.

Not sure of the third, though. I think it was Fumi or Otome, though.

To be fair, I didn't. But there was nothing at all that would've led me to choose him over the others.

I guess I can understand that. Did you max out his fate? I thought he and his reasoning was pretty compelling before I even started his route. Honestly his is the only route I like in DS2. Daichi's is just "meh" and Yamato and Ronaldo are both reprehensible.

FluxWaveZ

It's interesting watching this without having knowledge about the game itself.

Daichi is kinda dumb if he thought it'd be a good idea to smash into that ice cream cone with a truck.

Marche90

Already watched episode 1. I had been reading the manga, so I more or less knew how they were to handle the first episode (and even where they would cut the first episode). Still, for what it's worth, it was decent. I definitely would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for the manga.

Flux, in the game that scene is handled differently and it makes a bit more sense in there.

EDIT: I already want to see Otome. She's the one for me <3

cj_iwakura

Enjoyed it, especially how the Septentrion were done. Always nice to see animated devil summoning!

Can't wait for more, I think this'll be much better for a series than DS1 would've been.

First episode wasn't bad.I haven't played the game so i don't know things..but that was trully intresting.

Will support this anime.

duckroll

Enjoyed it, especially how the Septentrion were done. Always nice to see animated devil summoning!

Can't wait for more, I think this'll be much better for a series than DS1 would've been.

I think it's pretty cool how the disconnect between the Septentrions and everything else is retained in the show. In the game they used the difference between normal sprites vs pre-rendered sprites, and in the show they use 2D animation vs CG animation. Great decision there.

I don't really like some of the changes they've made in ep1 so far, but maybe I can accept that if I imagine that it's really a NG+ run. *cough*

cj_iwakura

I think it's pretty cool how the disconnect between the Septentrions and everything else is retained in the show. In the game they used the difference between normal sprites vs pre-rendered sprites, and in the show they use 2D animation vs CG animation. Great decision there.

I don't really like some of the changes they've made in ep1 so far, but maybe I can accept that if I imagine that it's really a NG+ run. *cough*

They made them appear menacing as well, which is great. I remember being skeptical about those silly designs until I saw how well they worked as attackers.

And we get to play 'which demons will appear' just like with P4tA! :D

Any series that starts with Pixie is a good series.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I dunno about this one, feeling really indifferent about the show. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it either.

If anything I've realized I'd much rather play the game than watch the show so.... mission accomplished?

RedBoot

Yeah, screw Kuze.
I had to start with an Obariyon!

Yeah, seeing Megaten demons animated will be half the fun. Persona 4 didn't have nearly enough, this one should be a bit better in that regard.

They do seem to be moving through things pretty fast though.
Joe not showing up yet, combined with his placement in the opening/ending, makes me wonder if we won't see him until several days in.

That ending animation/theme is pretty awesome.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Enjoyed the first episode. Music, aside from the ending song, didn't really grab me but it's early days. The animation seems a step-up rom Persona 4.

Also, is it worth signing up for Crunchyroll? The price seems reasonable.

Alkolto

Neo Member
Something I found really interesting about the first episode were a few things that felt a little... off. Things that were probably intentional.

*End Game Spoilers*
Hibiki starts off with a level 60 demon and over 60000 macca. Io has an extra demon that she normally shouldn't have. Hibiki says that he thinks everything that is going on is a test, but he doesn't know why he thinks that. It's probably not his first time going through all of this.

And an arguably worse NGE, with pretty meh characters.

I see people say this all the time, but they always miss out on probably the best part of the story. The political intrigue the game gets into near the end is at least twelve thousand more interesting than the whole ANGELS AND DEMONS, LAW VS. CHAOS that about 2/3rds of MegaTen games devolve into.

Conan-san

And like any decent MegaTen thing (that's not persona)
Pixie
and a
Tiger like thing
show before things get real.

cj_iwakura

Enjoyed the first episode. Music, aside from the ending song, didn't really grab me but it's early days. The animation seems a step-up rom Persona 4.

Also, is it worth signing up for Crunchyroll? The price seems reasonable.

Definitely, single-handedly reignited my interest in anime.

PK Gaming

Watched the first episode! The animation and art is a step above P4's anime (it's actually pretty damn good imo). The first episode was good overall, save for a few things;
1. MC summoning Byakko (watch, he's going to summon Metatron by the 3rd day)
2. His unexplicable large cash pool
3. Hahaha... 3 gets its own section

I am going to put this as eloquently as possible

where is Joe

seriously, WHERE THE FUCK IS JOE

Joe joins the party at the end 1st day, believe it or not, he's basically the 4th member of the group for a large portion of the story. It seems like the anime (and manga) has completely cut him out.

so not cool, how could they do that to Yuzuru Akie

Daichi and Io are basically sidelined, and I think they completely forgot about Joe :[

Real talk: Joe is the best character in DS2. He's just so insanely likeable and awesome.

He really is. Wish he were the protagonist. Though thanks to the game's great localization and dialogue options you can basically make your MC have a Joe-type personality if you wish.

I see people say this all the time, but they always miss out on probably the best part of the story. The political intrigue the game gets into near the end is at least twelve thousand more interesting than the whole ANGELS AND DEMONS, LAW VS. CHAOS that about 2/3rds of MegaTen games devolve into.

Political intrigue? I'm sorry, but no. The two warring "factions" end game paint the world in even broader strokes than Heaven and Hell. At least in most SMT games you get a healthy Good/Evil/Law/Chaos spectrum. In DS2 Ronaldo and Yamato both act like 14 year olds who based their worldview off of a Wikipedia article. I love the game, and I even love the story (so long as I take the Anguished One's route), but those two characters and the "conflict" that envelops the entirety of the end-game really try my patience.

Ep 1
tumblr_mkqzo4gw0P1rb646lo2_500.gif

Easily the best or to me the most memorable moment of the episode. Started off really good with the fun times with Daichi and Hibiki. I instantly grew attached to Daichi, which was, at times a pretty terrible decision. Almost just stopped the episode even 18 minutes in. I didnt know this series was that dire of sorts and just full of
rampant deaths at every corner, what even Nicaea?!. If Daichi dies, I thinkd I drop this anime straightway, I just cant imagine him gone and he's really good and so far has the best of the demons of sorts, plus Hibiki would no doubt collapse or something if his Daichi dies.

The ED felt kind of lazy though I did like seeing him in it which I hope he shows up sooner rather than later. And the one that says "O sparkling/shining one" must get way more screentime. So good.

Visuals are really good, music could be improved. Its just not as good as other music in anime. The OP song is catchy but I dont think it is something Id see myself wanting to listen to beyond the duration of the episode.

I think the plot, the mystery, combined with character interactions and the demons, are really working well in making me want to actually play the game...3ds version in america, when?

Just a repost:

Today, I watched Devil Survivor 2, Episode 1.
It's a really fantastic representation of the game in terms of art style, key details, and character traits. I had a great time watching it, and it's definitely going to be one that I'll be paying attention to.

The only thing that stuck out to me was the "loading" or regenerating bar on the mobile after a demon dies. What's up with that? Plot elements, perhaps? Still, just a small change.

Alkolto

Neo Member
He really is. Wish he were the protagonist. Though thanks to the game's great localization and dialogue options you can basically make your MC have a Joe-type personality if you wish.

Political intrigue? I'm sorry, but no. The two warring "factions" end game paint the world in even broader strokes than Heaven and Hell. At least in most SMT games you get a healthy Good/Evil/Law/Chaos spectrum. In DS2 Ronaldo and Yamato both act like 14 year olds who based their worldview off of a Wikipedia article. I love the game, and I even love the story (so long as I take the Anguished One's route), but those two characters and the "conflict" that envelops the entirety of the end-game really try my patience.

I think you missed the entire point of the factions.
Yamato and Ronaldo's dream worlds are not realistic worlds, but they are both presented with a chance to make them a reality. Yamato plans to use Polaris to create a world where his Meritocracy can work. Ronaldo eventually finds out about Polaris and their powers, and then decides that he wants to use Polaris' power to create a world where everyone actually can work together. This literally has nothing to do with painting the world in different strokes, because it's just Yamato's ideal world vs. Ronaldo's ideal world.

I think you missed the entire point of the factions.
Yamato and Ronaldo's dream worlds are not realistic worlds, but they are both presented with a chance to make them a reality. Yamato plans to use Polaris to create a world where his Meritocracy can work. Ronaldo eventually finds out about Polaris and their powers, and then decides that he wants to use Polaris' power to create a world where everyone actually can work together. This literally has nothing to do with painting the world in different strokes, because it's just Yamato's ideal world vs. Ronaldo's ideal world.

Nah, I think I got it down pat. We both share similar interpretations of the factions and their motivations, I just don't see much intrigue or subtlety to it.

Alkolto

Neo Member
Nah, I think I got it down pat. We both share similar interpretations of the factions and their motivations, I just don't see much intrigue or subtlety to it.

You seem to have a disconnect between liking an ideal, and finding the ideals to be interesting.

I guess if political ideologies aren't your thing you might not find it as interesting, but if you are, it is incredibly more interesting the same old Angels vs Demon, Law vs Chaos formula that has been done to death (Even outside of MegaTen).

Hell, even if political ideologies aren't your thing, at least it's something relatively new.

You seem to have a disconnect between liking an ideal, and finding the ideals to be interesting.

I guess if political ideologies aren't your thing you might not find it as interesting, but if you are, it is incredibly more interesting the same old Angels vs Demon, Law vs Chaos formula that has been done to death (Even outside of MegaTen).

Hell, even if political ideologies aren't your thing, at least it's something relatively new.

Nope, no disconnect. I neither like their ideals nor do I find them interesting. Contrast with the Reason of Yosuga from Nocturne - an ideal that I find repellent yet interesting enough to pursue if only to see how it pans out. Nocturne handled the various paths better than any game in the series - there isn't a "right" or "wrong" path, just a variety of esoteric paths that still make sense given the nature of the world and the psyche of the human proposing that Reason.

The ideologies of DS2 (with the exception of Anguished One and perhaps Daichi) lacked any sort of well-developed ethos. Both
Ronaldo and Yamato
sort of spring their ideologies on you out of nowhere. You can tell what kind of people they are when you meet them, but when they finally propose their vision of an ideal world I was just left thinking "...Really? That's it?" You'd think you'd put a bit more thought into it given the chance of reshaping the world.
Yamato's mantra is MERIT MERIT MERIT while Ronaldo's is JUSTICE JUSTICE JUSTICE
, and neither of them offer any deeper justification or sound like they've thought over it for more than a few minutes.

I don't necessarily hold the game or the writing to blame for this - I think they both make for decent villains, albeit of the unsympathetic Saturday morning cartoon variety. But neither of them make a very convincing case for their ideology. I preferred DS1's factions in that each one had its own merits and its own justifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom