• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: EA Sports UFC demo performance analysis (PS4 900p w/ 4xMSAA, XB1 900p w/ 2xMSAA)

geordiemp

I'm sure the CPU is the exact same one in both machines, but the xbox ones is clocked higher isnt it?

I don't get how the same cpu in both can be better in the ps4?

Yes in theory XB1 CPU is better.

But it has to run 3 operating systems, Kinect, snap etc....

There is an article somewhere where a program was run to benchmark the CPU's, and Ps4 won it quite easily....but again the usual controversy...wish I could find the link....

But this is about GPU resolution and effects - so its GPU / Bandwidth

onQ123

EA probably just wanted the game to be close as possible on both consoles & thought that more AA would cause less of a fuss than having one console with a higher resolution.

Or you still haven't seen this:

900p to 1080p aint gonna fix that.
No it isn't, but that hair shimmering isn't primarily due to aliasing. It's the low-sample motion blur used by the Xbox One. The improvement in the PS4 version is mostly due to better motion blur. Better AA also helps, of course...

...but so does higher resolution, a lot more than you're crediting it for. A 44% increase in pixel detail is very significant, and on its own will reduce jaggies considerably. As much or more than the move from 2x to 4x MSAA? I'm not sure, but the question isn't really addressed by your comparison.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
EA probably just wanted the game to be close as possible on both consoles & thought that more AA would cause less of a fuss than having one console with a higher resolution.

Ding ding ding. Ironic that the outcry from resolution differences just leads to less resolution differences, but in the wrong direction. They are avoiding controversy.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

There is an article somewhere where a program was run to benchmark the CPU's, and Ps4 won it quite easily....but again the usual controversy...wish I could find the link....

Does anyone actually know what the PS4 CPU clock speed actually is?

A reliable developer on here called Matt confirmed you can get more out of the PS4's CPU than the Xbone's.

charsace

The best thing the developers could do at this point is use the same effects as the X1 version, take away MSAA, and boost the res to 1080p. Because if the game could hold 30 at 1080p with the same effects the PS4 version currently has and with FSAA or some other form of AA they would do it.

Zen

Banned

I think it has also come out that the PS4 CPU is clocked higher,

No it isn't, but that hair shimmering isn't primarily due to aliasing. It's the low-sample motion blur used by the Xbox One. The improvement in the PS4 version is mostly due to better motion blur. Better AA also helps, of course...

...but so does higher resolution, a lot more than you're crediting it for. A 44% increase in pixel detail is very significant, and on its own will reduce jaggies considerably. As much or more than the move from 2x to 4x MSAA? I'm not sure, but the question isn't really addressed by your comparison.

Hair shimmering is mostly caused by poor sub sampling. The less amount of MSAA plays into this. Especialy since this game seems to have an MSAA which applies to transparencies.

TheKayle

Banned
I think it has also come out that the PS4 CPU is clocked higher,

ps4 1.6 ghz - 2 cores used for the os
xb1 1.75 ghz 2 cores used for the os

both have "coprocessors" to load out the cpu from functions...(shape etc etc in the xb1....1 arm for the ps4)

t_wilson01

Weird that with so many devs involved in PS4 development, no one has leaked the actual CPU speed. There are indications that it's 1.6GHz, but an actual statement would be nice.

Skeff

Well the slide was from Killzone running the reveal build... it was a devkit with 4GB GDDR5 yet.

This is correct, no one has given up the clock speed but in the benchmark thread we got confirmation the ps4 can do more than xb1 CPU wise from Matt.

Kayant

This is correct, no one has given up the clock speed but in the benchmark thread we got confirmation the ps4 can do more than xb1 CPU wise from Matt.

Weird that with so many devs involved in PS4 development, no one has leaked the actual CPU speed. There are indications that it's 1.6GHz, but an actual statement would be nice.

Well in my post above Laurent Betbeder SCEA ( Worked a lot with audio ) confirms the clock speed. And the presentation was done in November last year so I don't expect them to be using outdated info at that time.

All we know as you said Skeff as confirmed both matt and the benchmark is that devs get more out of PS4's cpu.

TheKayle

Banned
It was a single core bench.

if is true (as it seem) that the cpu is the same (jaguar) and is true (as it seem) that ps4 is 1.6 and is true that xb1 is 1.75..the only reasons

can be different code generated by the compilers...can be the memory cotnroller..can be overhead intrudoced by the hypervisor ( in the xb1)..

but being same cpu with different clock...isnt an "hw" problem
the cpu in the xb1 have an higher clock

anyway we going ot :) come back on rail!

Top Bottom