• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: 6.3 million copies sold

Druz

Most people aren't lying, this lag is fucked. Tried to play Hell today and last night and was getting disconnected constantly (after being killed due to not being able to use any skills while the monsters destroy me).

It's an MMOs problems without the quality control

Just for numbers sake I'll mention I was DC'd 6 times in 20 minutes,

Alucrid

Banned
I wouldn't mind seeing stats like Bioware did for Mass Effect. Average level, class breakdown, difficulty breakdown, etc. etc.

KarmaCow

Yeah sometimes I notice lag issues, on occasion (as with any online game) but if you aren't PvP then it isn't really that big of deal when it pops up. In the long view, I think Blizzard made the right call. The upside to the server side always on gameplay is the social features: quick join, friend chat, achievement etc. All of these are always available at all times.

What the hell does server side gameplay calculations have to do with social features? Everything you stated doesn't require always online DRM, especially the one Blizzard implemented.

Meier

Most people aren't lying, this lag is fucked. Tried to play Hell today and last night and was getting disconnected constantly (after being killed due to not being able to use any skills while the monsters destroy me).

I have only actually been DC'ed once personally. I didn't play much last night but I did have some nasty latency initially but it went to green after 5-10 minutes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah, at the moment it appears that lag is off the charts and i keep getting dced after killing one boss in this level.

Insane. I'm assuming this won't show up on the NPD numbers?

Only the physical retail sales, sadly.

And yeah, without the online connection requirement that number would likely be significantly less.

Hate them if you want, but it looks like requiring constant online was the right business decision. And millions of folk decided it wasn't a deal breaker.

Only the physical retail sales, sadly.

And yeah, without the online connection requirement that number would likely be significantly less.

Hate them if you want, but it looks like requiring constant online was the right business decision. And millions of folk decided it wasn't a deal breaker.

without trying to open a can of worms, for something like skyrim, or fallout yeah always online is crap. But Diablo 3 eh.... kinda murky there, wasn't a big enough deal for me to decline the game, lag still sucks though.

elcranky

Banned
That is a hell of a lot of copies for just a decent game given the time invested. I still wonder how this game took that long. 30 people could have made it in a couple of years.

patapuf

Ubisoft is going to read this and make AC3 on pc require always online connection.

MP-focused games will always get away with online only DRM. It's SP games where the bottom line starts to be affected and ubisoft lost a lot of PC sales with its online DRM experiments

Corto

I would be surprised now if they dont announce a console version at E3.

This. And the game it's deserving of all these sales. Brilliant 30ish hours that I had until now and still playing it. It will be on my GOTY list for sure, top spot for now.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Where are people playing that they see queues and lag and disconnections?

Seriously, i play on the american server, and i never once saw a queue and the only lag and disconnections i get are when my shitty wireless internet decide to give up to make fun of me.

Druz

Seriously, i play on the american server, and i never once saw a queue and the only lag and disconnections i get are when my shitty wireless internet decide to give up to make fun of me.

What an interesting and thoughtful question, guess the lag and disconnections don't exist, thanks for the insight

Durante

I'm playing in Europe, and I've never seen a ping below 130. It often spikes to 300, and sometimes above that.

If I wanted this kind of response times I'd be playing on onlive.

I'm in Pennsylvania. I can only play 7PM-11PM Eastern time and weekends. I've had 200-300ms ping every single time I've played the game and I'm not alone.

That is a hell of a lot of copies for just a decent game given the time invested. I still wonder how this game took that long. 30 people could have made it in a couple of years.

Sure... the game could have been done last year if Blizzard ignored any and all QA.

ShdwDrake

Banned
I hope more people that currently pirate will enjoy paying for their entertainment on next-gen gaming consoles. But hey, that's just me.

More people will probably just pirate. People I know who I would never think would for certain games they wanna play but not deal with the DRM they just wait for cracks then download them :(

Yea, I've had some really bad lag. I mean, I'm use to it as I've played WoW for years and years. Same ole issues:

-Rubberbanding
-Stuck in place
-Frozen A.I.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm in Pennsylvania. I can only play 7PM-11PM Eastern time and weekends. I've had 200-300ms ping every single time I've played the game and I'm not alone.

That's about the same time i play, same timezone, and i also see my ping going in the 200-300. But i still dont see lag despite that. :s My spells are casted instantly, things die when they should(including me :D) and items go right into my bag with no delays.

What an interesting and thoughtful question, guess the lag and disconnections don't exist, thanks for the insight

I'm not saying people are liars, i just dont get why i dont see these problems so many people seem to have. If it was an issue from Blizzard server side, wouldn't literally everyone be lagging like hell and getting disconnected constantly? Unless they have multiple servers and i have been lucky enough for being put into a stable one?

This is what I read from the story. Consumers voted with their wallets.

Yes, they did. But I think a TON of leeway was given for a few reasons:

-It's Diablo/Blizzard
-They were gonna play online in multiplayer anyway
-They gotta have it

I wonder will other games thrive with always on games that have a real focused single player experience.

Cipherr

I sort of figured it was going to be a new PC release record. They got slammed with WoW launch, that probably had them cautious and they likely thought themselves prepared for D3 launch. But they undershot again. For that to have happened, this had to have be a record breaking launch.

Lol the bosses are far easier then the unique mobs lol

Not sure if serious but, Its intended to be that way. Every difficulty the elite packs gather more simultaneous abilities that are randomly selected on the fly. They wanted to put a slight end to 'boss runs'. Now if you are farming gear and gold, you are running randomly generated areas killing varied ability elite packs instead of rush rush rushing down corridors to the boss whose room is the exact same and whos skills and movements are the exact same every time.

Raide

Valve's next game will be far more popular than Diablo 3. :)

The 2 D3 Expansion Packs will be out and Diablo 4 will be out before Episode 3.

Also, congrats Blizzard! Saving PC gaming ones again with your digital crack! Titan should be awesome.

Vano

Agree, since launch day i am having massive lag spikes, i finished all normal mode with 300-600ms and massive random lag spikes of 1k ms. I wish we were lying, because at least we would be playing fine. The game is good and addicting but this Latency problems are a huge letdown.

The 2 D3 Expansion Packs will be out and Diablo 4 will be out before Episode 3.

I think he means DOTA2

Pachael

That's great for Blizz, but explains to a great extent all those 37s, 3006s and 3007s. :/ Hope that improves over time :D

As for the online DRM/SP stuff, it did annoy me when the servers were done, but I'll admit that the drop-in/drop-out play is brilliant. Quick Join, and bang in a few secs you're beating up on demons with your friends in MP. When they are done, they leave and it's back to SP.

Yes, they did. But I think a TON of leeway was given for a few reasons:

-It's Diablo/Blizzard
-They were gonna play online in multiplayer anyway
-They gotta have it

I wonder will other games thrive with always on games that have a real focused single player experience.

It was like the first $60 PC game. It takes a very popular game to start the trend then other comanies to follow once gamers show they are ok with it. Regardless of the quality of Diablo, I'm bummed to see gamers embracing the always on DRM for single player games. But, this issue has been beat to death so I'll be done here.

Cheech

That's great for Blizz, but explains to a great extent all those 37s, 3006s and 3007s. :/ Hope that improves over time :D

My ping has slowly gotten better over the course of the week. They are clearly making improvements.

I would like to see it less than 100ms, though, which is what I get for WoW.

Regardless, I would say another week and the lag issues will be vastly improved as the "one and done" people who just play through normal will finish the game and shelve it.

Hit business is hit business. People spouting this as an indication of the industry's health, on one end of the spectrum or the other, need to stop, think and pay attention. Might as well point at COD and use that as an indication of industry health. It's not an indication of anything other than Blizzard and Diablo's health, which is strong and nobody doubted that.

It's an indication that gamers are ridiculously predictable and nothing more.

It's also an indication that gamers have no interest in their own best interests, that you can take a dump in their mouth and they'll ask for more as long as you have name recognition and "hype" on your side, but again, we already knew that. This game is not revealing anything publishers, developers and gamers didn't already know 5 , 10, 25 or more years ago. Baby steps of manipulation.

Top Bottom