• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: 6.3 million copies sold

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I laughed.

Wasn't the sales projection only like 6 million for the 1st quarter and 10 million for the year or something? Am I crazy?
Well, a few people from blizzard did say we exceeded their expectations, but I thought they were being cute about the whole error 37 thing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
You sure about that? Because I've seen working Diablo 3 servers on sites, sure might not be 100% like the official, but they are already around, just like Lineage 2, Aion, WoW servers.

User-created servers have been around since the the beta, but the game itself is essentially pirate-proof due to how it fundamentally operates - everything from the AI to terrain generation info is generated at Blizzard's end and delivered to the client on-the-fly, and while some such elements have been emulated (AI, for instance), the implementations are very rough at best.

SparkTR

For a PC only title? 6.3m in a week is insane for a PC only title.

It's great for any title on any platform. Uncharted 2 sold around 5 million for it's whole life-time sales. Gears 3 sold 3 million within the same time period of this hitting 6. CoD is a massive outlier all things considered.

User-created servers have been around since the the beta, but the game itself is essentially pirate-proof due to how it fundamentally operates - everything from the AI to terrain generation info is generated at Blizzard's end and delivered to the client on-the-fly, and while some such elements have been emulated (AI, for instance), it's very rough at best.

That's insane. Why was this done? Would explain why there's no offline mode.

Is there any chance in hell that GW2 can get even close to that? GW1 is now an established IP. And it's a MMO without fee. And D3 is a single player game that has to be played online, so they both sort of cross each others interests, even though they are about completely different things.

None of these describe the actual act of playing the game, so yep, the game IS amazing.

The game is pretty badly balanced.

Today they nerfed two monk abilities and told players to not even use it anymore until later.

Elite mobs will kill you over and over if you get a bad combination of modifiers, no matter what skill combo you do, you will end up trying to kite them and most likely dying multiple times. The gear that they drop will not make killing them significantly easier, no matter how good of an item roll you get.

The real laugh is that the bosses and purple mobs you fight are much much easier to fight than the unique mobs. I was more eager to fight the boss of act 4 than the unique mob that spammed meteor and spammed arcane/teleport and had extra health that I died 6 times to.

That being said, it is a good game. I don't think it lives up to 6 years of development/hype though (what does?).

Is there any chance in hell that GW2 can get even close to that? GW1 is now an established IP. And it's a MMO without fee. And D3 is a single player game that has to be played online, so they both sort of cross each others interests, even though they are about completely different things.

No way in hell. I think it will sell a couple million but not as many and nowhere near as fast as D3. When D3 was announced the internet went bananas. I don't think I remember a game with so much appeal across the board. I can't see anything surpassing it for awhile on PC.

Those numbers are bonkers and this is a game that will keep its price and have long legs. I'm looking forward to hearing the numbers after the first quarter and after the first year.

evangd007

"Only" 6.3 million? PC market is obviously dead. (Grats Blizzard)

So the game can't be hacked. Real money is going to be traded on this game in a week or so, so security is kind of a big deal.

FLEABttn

Banned

It depends on who you ask. Keeping the game code at a distance protects the sanctity of the real money auction house (which as a benefit makes the game unpirateable for months).

Or it's the man trying to prevent you from owning things! Today, it's game code, tomorrow, it's your air!

"Only" 6.3 million? PC market is obviously dead. (Grats Blizzard)

So the game can't be hacked. Real money is going to be traded on this game in a week or so, so security is kind of a big deal.

Ah, that makes sense. Gonna be interesting to see how the real money trade will affect the game overall.

Interfectum

It depends on who you ask. Keeping the game code at a distance protects the sanctity of the real money auction house (which as a benefit makes the game unpirateable for months).

Or it's the man trying to prevent you from owning things! First it's game code, tomorrow, it's your air!

Well we already buy bottled water!

Guild Wars is not nearly as deeply established as Diablo. I'm sure they'll do well though but not anything in the same ballpark.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist

For one, they are banking hard on the Real Money Auction house. You have to realize, the hosting needed for Diablo is actually pretty comparable to that needed for WoW, just a smaller scale, but there is no monthly subscription. Having enough self hosted servers to allow for even 250k people connected at all times is not cheap. As such, they need to take every precaution to prevent items being duplicated and other cheating methods from being used, so the RMAH actually works.

It could also allow for some neat world events and the like, which Blizzard will likely do to keep players playing and the auction economy moving.

Lol the bosses are far easier then the unique mobs lol

I actually like it, and hope they make it so the bosses can have some of the abilities of the Unique mobs on harder difficulties. Would really add to replayability, the game isn't much about the loot to me, its about how it is never the quiet the same thing each time.

So what did they make? 240.000.000,- give or take, right?

Yeah, 200 to 250 Million seems to be a decent ballpark guess, when you take into account things like Credit Card fees, the cut 3rd party retailers get, and regional pricing.

spetnaz

Neo Member
Huge number. Even better than I expected (and I was afraid I was too optimist lol).

No wonder Bioware is laying off some staff this week. A few million PC gamers are going be quite busy for a couple months...

Brofist

It's Blizzard, and Diablo. Not too shocking, but grats to them either way.

Right until the release there was some doubt as to whether the game would sell up to expectations because of the always online aspect. While it's not shocking, it's probably still better than most imagined it would do.

Hari Seldon

For one, they are banking hard on the Real Money Auction house. You have to realize, the hosting needed for Diablo is actually pretty comparable to that needed for WoW, just a smaller scale, but there is no monthly subscription. Having enough self hosted servers to allow for even 250k people connected at all times is not cheap. As such, they need to take every precaution to prevent items being duplicated and other cheating methods from being used, so the RMAH actually works.

It could also allow for some neat world events and the like, which Blizzard will likely do to keep players playing and the auction economy moving.

I'm not sure why anyone would use the RMAH when you are connected to the entire world in the actual AH, and due to supply and demand, buying stuff is ultra cheap.

I think this isn't really surprising. It draws from the MMO crowd, ARPG crowd, co-op gamer crowd and of course the existing Diablo/loves anything Blizzard group. Of course there's overlap here and there, but the segments it's intended for is pretty big.

I'm pretty sure it's just the Diablo crowd.

User-created servers have been around since the the beta, but the game itself is essentially pirate-proof due to how it fundamentally operates - everything from the AI to terrain generation info is generated at Blizzard's end and delivered to the client on-the-fly, and while some such elements have been emulated (AI, for instance), it's very rough at best.

It's not pirate proof in a theoretical sense, but it is somewhat in a practical sense. They have to reverse engineer the servers basically, and the maintain those for their (non-paying) players. It takes time and it also takes way more effort than normal cracking.

So WoW for example eventually had servers reverse engineered and there are private servers, but not only does it take a long time to get there, the problem is the cost and effort of upkeep mean that a lot of them don't last, or turn into donate-to-win schemes, or provide a half-assed experience. D3 definitely shouldn't be as hard to maintain as World of Warcraft, but it'll be enough to significantly deter piracy.

I don't think the trade off is worth it for the consumer, but it is what it is. I put the vast majority of my time into a handful of games that are ongoing online services (LoL, WoW, blah blah), so for me personally it doesn't change anything.

Enkidu

Hasn't Guild Wars plus all of its expansions sold about 6-7 million combined? I doubt the sequel is going to sell to that many people who never played the first one, at least during week one.

FLEABttn

Banned

I think this is an often overlooked part of the RMAH. By having a constant revenue stream, Blizzard is likely to support the game much longer with much more content than D2 ever had simply to keep that stream flowing.

So this hasn't launched in Russia and mainland China yet right? Those are huge PC gaming regions.

Wouldn't be a boxed model in China anyway, in Russia there will probably be a discounted box model on top of a pay-by-hour option. If SC2 is anything to go by.

This. Honestly the only boss that annoys me is the Act 2 one in 2nd form.

Reminds me of a Castlevania boss.

They all kinda do, for that matter.

Goldrusher

To put this impressive number into some perspective.

The full-price PC exclusives that sold more than 2 million copies this generation (2006 - present):

(2007) STALKER (2+ mil)
(2007) The Witcher (2+ mil)
(2008) Spore (2+ mil)
(2010) StarCraft II (5+ mil)
(2011) Star Wars: The Old Republic (2+ mil)
(2012) Diablo III (6+ mil)

(hope I didn't forget a game)

The full-price PC exclusives that sold more than 2 million copies this generation (2006 - present):

(2007) STALKER (2+ mil)
(2008) Spore (2+ mil)

WoW expansions?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm not sure why anyone would use the RMAH when you are connected to the entire world in the actual AH, and due to supply and demand, buying stuff is ultra cheap.

Yeah, I not quiet sure ether, but I think its too soon to make a definitive answer, especially since the RMAH hasn't even launched yet. The normal AH also has simply not stabilized at all. Plus, it isn't like Drop rates can't be adjusted if there is really to many good items out there.

Worst comes to worst, blizzard can make loot have random cosmetic properties on top of the stats, so having a well rolled hat that has a swilling rainbow around it would be worth more then a well rolled hat without a cool cosmetic effect, if TF2's is anything to go by.

Proc

So, PC gamers don't mind always online DRM anymore.

It is the future.

I have to believe the vast majority of Diablo 3 gamers will be playing the game online co-operatively, which would require always online DRM anyway. Its puzzling that many think that Diablo 3 is a single-player focused game.

LAN mode/offline would always be appreciated certainly, especially even moreso in Starcraft 2. Its shitty that its there but I'm sure many of those PC gamers aren't exactly happy with the always-on DRM. Its one of those top-tier PC Games that gamers will want to buy regardless of DRM. I wouldn't say the theory extends to lesser games.

I don't want to be D3 apologists but...

The game is pretty badly balanced.

So was D2 at launch.

The real laugh is that the bosses and purple mobs you fight are much much easier to fight than the unique mobs. I was more eager to fight the boss of act 4 than the unique mob that spammed meteor and spammed arcane/teleport and had extra health that I died 6 times to.

Same with D2 and Lightning Enchanted Scarabs in Lut Gholein! Harder than Duriel and Diablo himself.

Blizzard could be ashamed that it made the same mistakes as 12 years earlier with Diablo 2 but... are those really mistakes? Maybe it is just broken design.

SparkTR

(2007) STALKER (2+ mil)
(2008) Spore (2+ mil)

Sins of a Solar Empire as well I believe.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think this is an often overlooked part of the RMAH. By having a constant revenue stream, Blizzard is likely to support the game much longer with much more content than D2 ever had simply to keep that stream flowing.

You'd think so, but items are the only content updates you'll see in D3:

Vaneras said:

Obviously, the phrasing leaves a little bit of wiggle room for change, but I wouldn't expect it; we know they've two retail expansion packs planned.

Top Bottom