• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV is not coming to Game Pass

That's too expensive when it's not your own studio. Like you said the deal hasn't been finalized yet, so if they want it Day 1 on Game Pass they need to pay the big bucks. And that's probably just too much at the moment.
MS has infinite money I always hear. Personally I think they're making a big mistake here PR wise.

Chukhopops

This is exactly what people criticize PS plus extra for and why it's so inferior to Gamepass. And now suddenly it's ok? Gamepass is supposed to be all MS titles, day 1, Gamepass. That's what they promised.
I don’t know what’s confusing here, if the deal isn’t through (and it won’t be through by June) then the game isn’t first party and has no reason to be Day 1 GP. It would be nice for sure but it’s not like suddenly MS is changing their position.

Seems like a lot of noise about nothing.

I don’t know what’s confusing here, if the deal isn’t through (and it won’t be through by June) then the game isn’t first party and has no reason to be Day 1 GP. It would be nice for sure but it’s not like suddenly MS is changing their position.

Seems like a lot of noise about nothing.
I don’t agree, MS is already marketing acti/blizzard being theirs for like a year already. Making deals with other parties about what games will be not exclusive and whatnot. They act like it’s theirs already for a long time, but suddenly something like this because it’d cost them some money they say: yeh but you know, the deal is not done.

Very hypocritical stuff if you ask me.

Rykan

I don’t agree, MS is already marketing acti/blizzard being theirs for like a year already. Making deals with other parties about what games will be not exclusive and whatnot. They act like it’s theirs already for a long time, but suddenly something like this because it’d cost them some money they say: yeh but you know, the deal is not done.

It doesn't matter if you agree. You're simply denying the facts here: The deal is not through yet, and Activision/Blizzard is not a first party studio when the game comes out.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And this is the start of the problem. People are so invested in this Gamepass and that they think that everyone and their mother will be on GP. Now the "i won't buy it cry cry". shows how a lot of the Xbox community are part of the gaming industry problem going forward.

In the end, Xbox will have less quality games and just some junk because people think everything is free.

Mephisto40

I find it hilarious that people continue to think every developer Microsoft is in bed with are happy for their sales numbers to be cannibalized just so that Microsoft can have their game on their gamepass platform

Developers are getting wise to the fact that they can make more money keeping the game off of gamepass

GymWolf

I find it hilarious that people continue to think every developer Microsoft is in bed with are happy for their sales numbers to be cannibalized just so that Microsoft can have their game on their gamepass platform

Developers are getting wise to the fact that they can make more money keeping the game off of gamepass
If they are under M they really have no word in what goes to gamepass or not because you know...they are M employees at the end of the day, it's M decision unless they have particular accords between them.

They are doing this because the deal is not done yet most probably.

If it was like you say, starfield would not be on gamepass aswell because they are gonna cannibilize million of copies with that move.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Not really? The only thing you could vaguely consider as co-marketing is the Xbox 2022 showcase having the Blizzard announcements. But it’s common to have third party announcements in first party showcases (e.g. recent State of Play).

The official quote about GP and ABK is:
Upon close, we will offer as many Activision Blizzard games as we can within Xbox Game Pass and PC Game Pass, both new titles and games from Activision Blizzard’s incredible catalog.
« Upon close »

Last edited:

Mephisto40

If they are under M they really have no word in what goes to gamepass or not because you know...they are M employees at the end of the day, it's M decision unless they have particular accords between them.

They are doing this because the deal is not done yet most probably.

If it was like you say, starfield would not be on gamepass aswell because they are gonna cannibilize million of copies with that move.
Do you not think in the long run this is going to have a knock on effect of these companies staying in business under Microsoft's umbrella?

You continuously see layoffs and lackluster games from these companies that have been "taken over" by Microsoft, thinking gamepass is somehow the savior of video games is an incredibly short sighted view

Yes Microsoft can throw money at companies, but games like Halo : Infinite have proved this doesn't mean better gaming experiences, it's cheapening the experiences on the most part

GymWolf

Do you not think in the long run this is going to have a knock on effect of these companies staying in business under Microsoft's umbrella?

You continuously see layoffs and lackluster games from these companies that have been "taken over" by Microsoft, thinking gamepass is somehow the savior of video games is an incredibly short sighted view

Yes Microsoft can throw money at companies, but games like Halo : Infinite have proved this doesn't mean better gaming experiences, it's cheapening the experiences on the most part
I don't know what to tell you dude, i was just trying to find a reason why some games end on gp and some don't.

You may be perfectly right.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
7efaoo.jpg

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Why not just list all the services it hasn't been announced for and say that Diablo 4 is not coming to those either. That's how dumb this thread is.

marjo

Some of the takes in this thread are silly. This has nothing to do with how many copies the game is expected to sell, and everything to do with the fact the the acquisition has not gone through yet. If the acquisition had completed (not just got approved) before the release, the game absolutely would have released day 1 on Game Pass (at least for XBox, there may have been a delay to get a Windows store version created for PC).

Halo infinite literally has more content than 95% of AAA games. What games have a single player, online co op, multiplayer, and a mode to create maps and games?

One thing I like about MS games is that they have longevity unlike a lot of these one and done games.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Halo infinite literally has more content than 95% of AAA games. What games has a single player, online co op, multiplayer, and a mode to create maps and games?

One thing I like about MS games is that they have longevity unlike a lot of these one and done games.
Compared to previous halo games, Halo : Infinate was dead about 2 weeks after the game released

ironmang

Microsoft: "We have no plans for that"
Also Microsoft: "Pls, pls, pls approve our Activision deal"
Rod Fergusson works for Blizzard not MS.
This is exactly what people criticize PS plus extra for and why it's so inferior to Gamepass. And now suddenly it's ok? Gamepass is supposed to be all MS titles, day 1, Gamepass. That's what they promised.
Diablo 4 isn't an MS title yet.
And this is the start of the problem. People are so invested in this Gamepass and that they think that everyone and their mother will be on GP. Now the "i won't buy it cry cry". shows how a lot of the Xbox community are part of the gaming industry problem going forward.

In the end, Xbox will have less quality games and just some junk because people think everything is free.
Who is saying this?

MS pays them to put the games on Game Pass. Capcom isn't putting Exoprimal on GP out of charity or because they're "in bed with MS".

Really wish you guys would keep your MS hatred in the Microsoft Acquisition thread with the rest of the copers.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes, lets.
I'm on ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo side on this one. There's really only 2 services, and one of them doesn't get that many day 1 games. Just different strategies. Not taking into account the acquisition pending. It's obvious why people would have a greater assumption its on GP. I think Phil even said it at one point.

Mephisto40

Twitch is not indicator of success. Plenty of games that aren’t on twitch that sold and did well.
It's an good indicator of how popular games are in the present time

Considering Halo's e-sport background, you'd expect it to be a lot more popular than it currently is if it was any kind of successful, it's currently being absalutly destroyed in popularity by just about every other multiplayer shooter out there

Last edited:

Mephisto40

MS pays them to put the games on Game Pass. Capcom isn't putting Exoprimal on GP out of charity or because they're "in bed with MS".

Really wish you guys would keep your MS hatred in the Microsoft Acquisition thread with the rest of the copers.
Yes Microsoft pays them, but it's quickly becoming evident that AAA game producers are better off just trying to sell the games themselves rather than having them on gamepass or any other subscription service for that matter

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm on ChorizoPicozo ChorizoPicozo side on this one. There's really only 2 services, and one of them doesn't get that many day 1 games. Just different strategies. Not taking into account the acquisition pending. It's obvious why people would have a greater assumption its on GP. I think Phil even said it at one point.

Of course, but the game won't be coming to game pass unless the deal closes. If/when it does, then it would be more surprising if it doesn't.

treemk

Banned
Some of the takes in this thread are silly. This has nothing to do with how many copies the game is expected to sell, and everything to do with the fact the the acquisition has not gone through yet. If the acquisition had completed (not just got approved) before the release, the game absolutely would have released day 1 on Game Pass (at least for XBox, there may have been a delay to get a Windows store version created for PC).
Yeah, I doubt that. MS is going to really cannibalize their profit from games like D4 and Starfield if they put them on game pass at launch. They do love to devalue their IPs so I wouldn't be too surprised if they did though.

ironmang

Considering Halo's e-sport background, you'd expect it to be a lot more popular than it currently is if it was any kind of successful, it's currently being absalutly destroyed in popularity by just about every other multiplayer shooter out there
MK11 sold over 15 million copies and only has 350 viewers. Splatoon 3 sold 10+ million and has 800 viewers which is like 90 more than Halo Infinite right now. Twitch viewership just means how many people want to watch the game.
Yes Microsoft pays them, but it's quickly becoming evident that AAA game producers are better off just trying to sell the games themselves rather than having them on gamepass or any other subscription service for that matter
Do you have any kind of stats to back up your assumption? Quotes from devs?

Mephisto40

MK11 sold over 15 million copies and only has 350 viewers. Splatoon 3 sold 10+ million and has 800 viewers which is like 90 more than Halo Infinite right now. Twitch viewership just means how many people want to watch the game.

Do you have any kind of stats to back up your assumption? Quotes from devs?
Do you have any stats to back up your assumption game devs are better off by putting their games on gamepass?

Here is an article quoting Microsoft themselves saying gamepass harms games sales

ironmang

Do you have any stats to back up your assumption game devs are better off by putting their games on gamepass?

Here is an article quoting Microsoft themselves saying gamepass harms games sales

First off, I did not make that assumption. I can assume that the devs who do put their games on GP must feel they're better off with the GP deal because why else would they do it?

Those links don't account for the money devs are paid to put their games on GP. Don't see how that backs up your assumption. It's common sense that someone who gets a game through GP is unlikely to buy a standalone copy, which is why they're compensated.

Last edited:

wait, wat?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The game is going to sell 30+ mil in the next 5 years, I think Blizz know exactly how to make money; and giving it for free to people who don’t enjoy games (90% of game pass users really don’t) is a good choice.

This is a great choice! So happy to see this.

Ozriel

M$FT
If people will recall, Skyrim didn't immediately come to Game Pass after the Bethesda deal closed. It took a few months. If anything, I think the same would happen here. If the acquisition goes through, Diablo 4 will eventually be added to Game Pass but I wouldn't expect it to appear right away. Perhaps a few months after the acquisition is closed, likely to coincide with the start of a new in-game season to capitalize on the sales of new premium battle passes.

Skyrim Special Edition hit Gamepass Dec 2020, even before the deal closed.
You’re confusing this with the Anniversary Edition which wasn’t put on GP because it was treated as a special paid upgrade over the base game. Just like DLC and MTX isn’t usually covered for Xbox first party on Gamepass.

Ozriel

M$FT

[/URL]

This is clearly talking about post acquisition.

Pre-acquisition, there’s no logical reason why anyone would expect this to be on GP day one.

Sorcerer

I wonder if it crushed Microsoft's plans internally not to have Diablo 4 ready to go because the opposition to the takeover killed the timing. Did MS have big plans to have a day 1 release on Gamepass with it? Or even if the aquisition had gone smoothly would it still have taken time to sort things out and it wouldn't have been on the service right away in any case?

Last edited:

treemk

Banned
This is clearly talking about post acquisition.

Pre-acquisition, there’s no logical reason why anyone would expect this to be on GP day one.

Nothing like taking a vague quote and twisting it to mean what you want. Diablo 4 is old news post acquisition, Diablo 4 day 1 doesn't exist post acquisition. He doesn't even mention D4 and is just listing IPs. Obviously Diablo 2 and 3 will be on GP, obviously D4 will be too at some point. How MS will handle day one releases and game pass with the newly acquired IPs remains to be seen.

spons

Gold Member
How dare those greedy devs try to make money on one of the most anticipated games in a years which has been in development for a decade?!
They can make all the money from the game they want, just not from me as long as it has a price tag of 80 euros.

Gambit2483

MS cannot afford to "pay" for every 3rd party game. I mean...they technically could but business/ profit-wise it makes no sense. This is a problem I fear they may have in the future with their Japanese publishers (if not already)

Not true, twitch is not a good indicator. If a popular streamer starts streaming an old game does it mean it is popular now?

Halo Infinite still tops the chart on xbox while getting more updates which means it isn't dead. Sorry, Halo still exists while other shooters like Killzone and Resistance are truly dead.

captainpat

Huh, I kind of assumed it was coming to game pass since they showed it at the xbox and bethesda game showcase last year. Almost ever game in that event was coming to gamepass so I guess I just assumed Diablo would be too.

Top Bottom