• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's D23 Expo 2017 GAF

It's not a very good description. It's actually a modernized/present day fantasy world.

Like the premise of Good Dinosaur was supposed to be "what if the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs missed and we still had them today in modern times" but they fucked it pretty hard, this one is "fantasy settings are always ye olde but what if there was magic in today's modern world".

Damn that sounds really cool. I hope this is Pixar firing on all cylinders, like Inside Out.

Damn that sounds really cool. I hope this is Pixar firing on all cylinders, like Inside Out.

Same here! They said the characters are all elves and fairies and stuff, creatures like unicorns are everywhere and people see them as pests, they eat out of garbage cans, etc. So it's like take the stuff you know about fantasy but instead of everyone wearing old sacks and living in castles and trees they live in the suburbs.

multivac

So Screen Junkies' live stream says the Fantastic Four have been announced for Infinity War, I'm guessing it's click bait but is it true?

Click bait. There's some covered statues or something on the Infinity War stage that are similar in relative heights to the Fantastic Four and people are speculating it could be a big reveal. I went searching everywhere once I saw the title of that video and I would love nothing more than for it to be true, but right now it's clickbait.

LycanXIII

Click bait. There's some covered statues or something on the Infinity War stage that are similar in relative heights to the Fantastic Four and people are speculating it could be a big reveal. I went searching everywhere once I saw the title of that video and I would love nothing more than for it to be true, but right now it's clickbait.

Pic of the covered objects: (IDK the original source, just found this in the replies to their tweet)
https://twitter.com/TheMasked_Demon/status/885995514398953476

DEuwMSDWsAAFfIM.jpg

Pachimari

With all of them Marvel news all day every day I completely missed these Pixar and Disney Animation news, but it all sounds so fucking delicious. Well, I'm a big sceptical on Wreck it Ralph 2 since it seems to move away from video games per set and more into metas on the internet. I'm also up for that though. The new Pixar project sounds interesting.

So I guess we got nothing of Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2?

With all of them Marvel news all day every day I completely missed these Pixar and Disney Animation news, but it all sounds so fucking delicious. Well, I'm a big sceptical on Wreck it Ralph 2 since it seems to move away from video games per set and more into metas on the internet. I'm also up for that though. The new Pixar project sounds interesting.

So I guess we got nothing of Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2?
John Lassater stepping away from directing was kind of the big takeaway on Toy Story 4.

Wanderer5

They just shown a video about researching in Norway, Iceland, and Finland regarding Frozen 2. Some amusement with coming up with a title (Thawed is a running joke apparently), but guess it be just Frozen 2.

Wanderer5

I hope Coco turns out very well. The clips that were shown were enjoyable, and the last musical number to end the panel was a a lot of fun.

The Coco poster you get from the panel is really lovely too.

TDLink

It's not a very good description. It's actually a modernized/present day fantasy world.

Like the premise of Good Dinosaur was supposed to be "what if the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs missed and we still had them today in modern times" but they fucked it pretty hard, this one is "fantasy settings are always ye olde but what if there was magic in today's modern world".

Yes, I too ask: what if Harry Potter existed?

zeemumu

What are the odds on getting info about Del Toro's Haunted Mansion movies?

Practically nothing or absolutely nothing

Yes, I too ask: what if Harry Potter existed?

In Harry Potter the majority of the population of earth is human. Some are witches and wizards but they're still human. Magic is also a secret in Harry Potter, and normal humans are not allowed to know about it.

In Pixar's movie, magic permeates the entire modern world. It's not hidden, going on in secret. Unicorns are eating out of people's garbage bins.

They're two extremely different takes.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
In Harry Potter the majority of the population of earth is human. Some are witches and wizards but they're still human. Magic is also a secret in Harry Potter, and normal humans are not allowed to know about it.

In Pixar's movie, magic permeates the entire modern world. It's not hidden, going on in secret. Unicorns are eating out of people's garbage bins.

Still not a particularly original concept.

Isn't this what that Will Smith Netflix movie (Bright?) is doing?

Still not a particularly original concept.
It doesn't matter? Execution is more important. The concept of "family members are separated and go through great lengths to reunite" is also not an original concept either but did people dump on Finding Nemo about that? Stories about similar concepts are fine as long as the execution is unique across them. If I said "It's a story about a boy and his dog" would you think I was talking about Lassie or Adventure Time? Turner and Hooch? Psyche I was speaking literally about the movie A Boy And His Dog. Should no more stories about a boy and his dog ever exist since it's not an original concept?

Yeah, it sounds like a visual gag in a Shrek movie.
The Shrek movies have no modern anything in them though. No modern houses, no modern technology, it's all set in Ye Olden Times. They don't even have like olden versions of modern things as sight gags beyond a couple fast food logos in 2.

Isn't this what that Will Smith Netflix movie (Bright?) is doing?

I dunno! Is it? Cool if it is, it's a neat concept that I'd like to see done in many mediums, I'll look into Bright. I can almost promise its execution will be different from the new Pixar movie though if that's what you were angling at.

Edit: Just looked it up and at its base level yes it's "magic in modern day" but the execution is "Two Los Angeles cops hunt magical creatures" which is completely different from "Two brothers learn about the father they never knew". Bright sounds sick as hell though

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I dunno! Is it? Cool if it is, it's a neat concept that I'd like to see done in many mediums, I'll look into Bright. I can almost promise its execution will be different from the new Pixar movie though if that's what you were angling at.

Edit: Just looked it up and at its base level yes it's "magic in modern day" but the execution is "Two Los Angeles cops hunt magical creatures" which is completely different from "Two brothers learn about the father they never knew". Bright sounds sick as hell though
Bright is just Max Landis taking Alien Nation and swapping orcs and elves in for aliens.

Wanderer5

Whew, that is it for Day 1. Would like to go to the live action panel tomorrow, but think I just check out the game showcase panel and go around the main hall more (probably check out the dreamstore).

Cuburt

Isn't Marvel Studios also going to be at SDCC this year as well?

My "Marvel Time" alarm just started going off.

The Shrek movies have no modern anything in them though. No modern houses, no modern technology, it's all set in Ye Olden Times. They don't even have like olden versions of modern things as sight gags beyond a couple fast food logos in 2.

Still, the humor of the Shrek movies is heavily based in modern (well, modern as of the early 'aughts) pop culture. The whole Farquaad-land sequence in the first film is proof enough of that.

Orc cop!

Oh, no, I just meant the whole fantasy in the real world setting type thing.
Ah ok! Yeah I think the "magic in the modern world" is a fun concept that can be done a variety of different ways. Hell I've pitched a show that could be simplified to "magic in the modern world" myself and it wasn't anything like any of the concepts we've talked about so far.

Bright is just Max Landis taking Alien Nation and swapping orcs and elves in for aliens.

*excitement halts* Ahhhhh.... Max Landis huh.... erghh...

Top Bottom