• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Director Tameem Antoniades Responds on Dante and Other Things

Have these screens been posted before? They are dated a couple weeks back but I don't remember seeing them. Figured might as well post them here and have them in the OP instead.

dmc_11.jpg

dmc_04.jpg

dmc_01.jpg

dmc_10.jpg

dmc_02.jpg

Game's still gonna suck in all likelihood (just like every other NT game ever made), but credit where it's due for Tameem not acting like a douche and rationally explaining his thoughts on stuff.

Monocle

That interview has me concerned that Tameem is perfectly happy to be blind and deaf to what makes a great action title.

The main and maybe only reason Bayonetta hasn't faded from memory is that it plays better than any game of its kind since DMC3. No serious player wrings her hands about the deranged art style and muddled story, because Bayonetta's combat is so fucking smooth, so intuitive and responsive and satisfying, that all the rest is detail. You want to keep playing because the activity you do for the bulk of the game, namely beating up on everything in sight, is intrinsically rewarding.

You see, PlatinumGames has its priorities in order: Gameplay first, then gameplay, and finally gameplay. When someone from a lesser studio, who is overseeing the creation of an action game, says that his team is "not looking at Bayonetta," what he means is that gameplay is not the core focus of the project. Something else has been chosen as the unifying element around which everything else is arranged, and knowing Ninja Theory, that something is cinematic presentation. Tameem gives it away when he says "we're aiming to make this like a movie."

Rad Agast

Why, exactly, wouldn't you want to aim to beat Bayonetta in combat? Why would you want to make Devil May Cry like a movie?

...Why is he making games? I don't understand.

I don't get it either. Well, actually I do but I don't want to say it since it will hurt some NT fanboy's feelings.

Still waiting for a Demo since I'm not going to spend any money towards this game until I'm converted by a solid battle mechanic and I mean at least at the same level as DMC 4's Dante. I'm trying to wrap my head around the idea of them achieving that with 30fps.

KiteGr

Personaly I have faith in DMC...

The series needed a reboot, especially since DevMaCry2 f*cked the storyline so badly, that forced all the future games to be prequels. Also the DevMaCry game were becoming way over the top, and it was hard to take them seriously after a point!

The reason for this reboot IMO is to lower the bar tone down the cheesyness, and restart the story in a way that it can actually be contineued. Thus they give Dante a form, that looks a bit to yung and bratty, but at the same time it's fully oppened to evolve into the classic dante we know in the future!

Margalis

Banned
The funny thing about trying to make the combat more like a movie is that most movies are trying to make their action more like video games.

jett

D-Member
I have hope it will be a good game at least, regardless of how "worthy" it is as a DMC title.

Only thing I don't understand is that NT goes on and on about how important the cut-scenes and the story in this game is, and yet they've shown us jackshit about it, lolz.

danmaku

Screenshots look great, as expected from NT. Excellent art direction. About them not looking at Bayo... it's totally possible to craft a new combat system that offers depth and accessibility and it's different from the DMC/Bayonetta style. If they can do it, great. But if that's their target, why all gameplay segments shown so far look exactly like old DMC games?

I think that comes from Heavenly Sword not hitting 30FPS at times. Then we moved on to Unreal and pushed out Enslaved in half the time of Heavenly Sword, if not less.

HS was being developed for 5 years, give or take a little.

Heavenly Sword began development in 2002[1] with footage of the original PC version published on TeamXbox.com in 2004.[2] It had, at one time, been up and running on an early Xbox 360 prototype,[citation needed] but this was abandoned in favor of the PlayStation 3 when the title was picked up by SCEE [1]. The game was developed using Havok Complete, a combination of Havok Physics and Havok Animation.[3]

So half the time would be 2.5 years.
Isn't that about the standard time for a development cycle on a game these days? :lol

Endo Punk

HS was being developed for 5 years, give or take a little.

So half the time would be 2.5 years.
Isn't that about the standard time for a development cycle on a game these days? :lol

It is. They had ample time with Enslaved and frame rate and bugs were just as bad as HS. And all this talk that Capcom is helping out holds no weight. NT were under Sony with HS and Namco with Enslaved. Both devs are known for quality titles and tech yet that didn't help the titles from underperforming. Difference is they were new IP's so forgiven by critics and gamers but this time with DmC NT will finally be exposed as the sucky devs they are.

K' Dash

I don't like Dante's look, but God Damn if I don't like those screens, the last video they put up looked really good too.

Cautiosly optimistic.

I must be one of the few people here that likes the new character design and thinks the game looks pretty solid. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, so I'm optimistic about this reboot.

Endo Punk

I must be one of the few people here that likes the new character design and thinks the game looks pretty solid. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, so I'm optimistic about this reboot.

Don't worry you are not alone, NT's fanbase is over the moon regarding this game. Im glad Capcom can cater to the NT fanbase.

thabiz

"Usually the worst creative crimes are made when you're trying to make a game for someone else - some perceived demographic that, in all likelihood, doesn't actually exist. From my point of view there's only on way to try and make a successful game, and that's to make the game you want to play."

This!! A million times over. And this goes for music, movies, etc.

Stop trying to create something because the suits told you to sell to "X". If he is being completely honest, then i'm for giving it my full attention.

jimi_dini

I think that comes from Heavenly Sword not hitting 30FPS at times. Then we moved on to Unreal and pushed out Enslaved in half the time of Heavenly Sword, if not less. And that one had the some framerate issues we regret; we should have held on and refused to give the build to the publisher until we hit that framerate.

Am I the only one that finds this funny. It's like "yay, we are trying to hit half of the framerate of a proper DMC title this time - we swear and then we will be boss". lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Am I the only one that finds this funny. It's like "yay, we are trying to hit half of the framerate of a proper DMC title this time - we swear and then we will be boss". lol
I know, it does seem silly. Unfortunately, their engine of choice (UE3) simply isn't suited for 60 fps on consoles without significant compromise and I'm not convinced they have the talent to create their own engine that holds 60 fps (Heaven Sword was choppy as hell).

I really enjoyed Enslaved and am totally willing to give this a shot (as I'm not even a huge DMC fan to begin with), but their tech skills aren't exactly impressive.

It is. They had ample time with Enslaved and frame rate and bugs were just as bad as HS.
Well, the 360 version of Enslaved was actually much better than Heavenly Sword, but they REALLY dropped the ball on PS3.

Dahbomb

Yeah I had read this PSM3 interview quite a while back. It does have that cool "demon" Tameem pic in it.

There isn't any new information regarding the game in the interview, they do mention that they got people who know their DMC stuff and said that the games has solid responsive controls. About the only worthwhile thing I got from this.

There is however a new enemy in one of those screens. An upgraded form of the regular enemies with a chain saw on one of his arms.

Quite a few bans in this thread, why did LHK got banned?

Elginer

I need to see those in hi-res, damn NT can make some pretty looking games. Really looking forward to seeing more of this next week.

No matter how good the game looks visually, or how well the mo-cap facial animation is, it still runs at 30fps, and it made by a developer that doesn't understand the first thing about good combat mechanics.

Capcom said something which they've said to us often, which is, 'if it was going to be the same as the old DMC, why would we give this project to you guys? The reason is to surprise us, to come up with a reinvention. To create something we couldn't have conceived in Japan.

Because the entire DMC team in Japan is busy with Dragon's Dogma. That's literally the only reason.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Texture-wise, it looks good... I think? I'll give them that.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
art direction is the most exciting in a DMC game yet

i'd probably buy this if it was a solid, good-looking action game. it's clear that no other action game is going to top NG2 for me this gen so eh.

Character design is iffy as we all know, but honestly, those environments look great. At this point, this game has the potential to be a serious surprise. Or it could completely meet the miserable expectations, who knows.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Character design is iffy as we all know, but honestly, those environments look great. At this point, this game has the potential to be a serious surprise. Or it could completely meet the miserable expectations, who knows.

Well one thing's for sure. Post-Captivate, the previewers are going to gush over this game:

- Ninja Theory is a critical darling for whatever reason
- Game journalists always belittle the fanbase to side with big name publishers, apparent in recent events like in ME3
- Exclusive stories = exclusive hype

I want to see some real, dedicated gameplay to base my own analysis on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wait....What?
I love devil may cry & all that but Dante is just a clone of Blade, with a Red coat, white hair & is half demon instead of vampire & has a sense of humor, and that wouldn't translate?
blade-trinity_snipes.jpg

He also didn't go to jail for tax evasion like a bitch.

Dahbomb

NT is great at PR lip service, it's the reason why they are still continuing to make games. They spew out key phrases that most game journalists eat up.

And their games usually reflect their PR strategy. It's all in the presentation... a couple of nice looking cutscenes, decent art direction and stunning environments is enough to win over anyone who puts in less than a minute to analyze what is actually going on. They have humbled up greatly through their time working with DmC but they still need to employ a more "show don't tell" type philosophy. They have talked about the game over and over, the design choices, the ideology behind the product but they have showed very litle.

I expect glowing previews but the only thing I care about is the entire walkthrough/demonstration of the build on display in unadulterated form.

Yeah, I've read some interviews where the journalist said DmC is as fluid as the previous entries. Yeah sure. They don't know what they're talking about. They really only see the art direction, which arguably isn't bad. But gameplay wise they don't have a clue. Capcom/NT would show some balls, if they'd give some pro dmc players the chance to play the game. I'd trust someone like Dahbomb or gunbo more than some PR guy.

NT is great at PR lip service, it's the reason why they are still continuing to make games. They spew out key phrases that most game journalists eat up.

And their games usually reflect their PR strategy. It's all in the presentation... a couple of nice looking cutscenes, decent art direction and stunning environments is enough to win over anyone who puts in less than a minute to analyze what is actually going on. They have humbled up greatly through their time working with DmC but they still need to employ a more "show don't tell" type philosophy. They have talked about the game over and over, the design choices, the ideology behind the product but they have showed very litle.

I expect glowing previews but the only thing I care about is the entire walkthrough/demonstration of the build on display in unadulterated form.

Yeah, I've read some interviews where the journalist said DmC is as fluid as the previous entries. Yeah sure. They don't know what they're talking about. They really only see the art direction, which arguably isn't bad. But gameplay wise they don't have a clue. Capcom/NT would show some balls, if they'd give some pro dmc players the chance to play the game. I'd trust someone like Dahbomb or gunbo more than some PR guy.

This. Right. Here.

Well one thing's for sure. Post-Captivate, the previewers are going to gush over this game:

- Game journalists always belittle the fanbase to side with big name publishers, apparent in recent events like in ME3

Well, the first I actually understand. Enslaved tried stuff with its writing and its environments that games don't do much, and we all should know critics gladly overlook technical issues if the artistry resonates well enough with them. I don't think they're a critical darling; I just think Enslaved got NT enough goodwill from certain people for them to take a less incensed approach to DmC.

The second point is valid, I guess. I wouldn't know, the only previews I ever bother reading are by honest, reputable writers, or podcast impressions. Third point doesn't apply to Captivate, seeing as everyone will be getting their previews: no exclusives here.

Chances are they'll put out a demo at some point to finally make sure DMC fans know what they're in for. There's an audience for this, I think, but it's not DMC fans.

ezekial45

Banned

They did.

You'll get your chance on Tuesday when Gamespot does a live playthrough. But I'm still expecting you to dismiss anything remotely positive, like everything else the've put out.

Zia

Q: why do DMC fans want Capcom to create a sequel internally, when they do not have the ability to create anything as good as Bayonetta? Also, I don't understand the backlash in regards to the character redesign, which is actually thoughtful and aesthetically appealing, versus the previous games' protagonists which were boilerplate quasi-feminine Japanese antihero.

Dahbomb

Capcom/NT would show some balls, if they'd give some pro dmc players the chance to play the game.
They did. It's in the PSM3 interview. These DMC vets said that the game had responsive controls which was all Tameem had to say on that matter. The players aren't allowed to talk about the game of course, strict agreement contracts and what not.

Like I said before, this is at least a step in the right direction. I know people are still mind fucked over the Heavenly Sword input lag thing but I don't think DmC is going to suffer from the same thing.

At this point the game has to blow people away to garner any sort of hype or attention.

why do DMC fans want Capcom to create a sequel internally, when they do not have the ability to create anything as good as Bayonetta?
DMC4's combat engine is at least on par with Bayonetta. DMC3 while being on an inferior console still falls on the same level as DMC4 and Bayonetta in the combat mechanics. These are internally developed Capcom games. Compare these games with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword so that you can grasp why some DMC fans might be opposed to the idea.

Design is subjective, some people are going to prefer DmC Dante others will prefer OG Dante.

Top Bottom