• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Director Tameem Antoniades Responds on Dante and Other Things

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I thought the previous DMC games both had a good story and gameplay. I doubt I can say the same about the gameplay of DmC. I can't help but see it as a downgrade from the previous games in the series.

DMC3 was well acted and character driven. A simple, coming of age story (for both the protagonist and main antagonist) is refreshing in a period of gaming where every developer wants to forcefeed twists and badly written social commentary.

gunbo13

My GUESS as to how they are handling it:

Weapon load out = Left/Right on D-pad swaps between Rebellion and Gilgamesh (gauntlet weapon just for the sake of example)

With Rebellion equipped you get Scythe in Angel form and Axe in Demon form on top of the Rebellion default sword in Normal form.

With Gilgamesh equipped you get Beowulf in Angel form and Ifrit in Demon form on top of the Gilgamesh in Normal form.

My guess is that the Angel and Demon form essentially adds more variety and options to a single class of weapon. Like your default weapon may be a Gauntlet but through Angel/Demon form they become like 2 different types of gauntlets with different properties (speed vs power).

Up/Down swaps between Firearms and given that we have seen Gunslinger like moves it's going to be interesting how they handle that as well without a dedicated style button.
That sounds very plausible. You just then hope that there is a nice relationship between the alts, such as Scythe/Axe. We saw power moves on the axe type swings in previous gameplay. I personally would rather have properties change instead of alt switches, even if there is a nice relationship. Something like higher stun on dark or even adding additional mechanics per form. Something like holy-based projectiles on just inputs, sort of like Nero rev. Could cause stun or knock-back. IDK, there is a lot of possibilities there.

But what you described is more likely to be the reality. It is odd though if that comes to fruition cause it would be more like alts then forms. It makes sense but could possibly be a fancy way to pile on weapons. And even if they form a nice combo like a Cerb/Beo relationship, we still have to think about weapon swap on top. You are talking about some potential craziness on dual swaps regarding possible combinations. I wonder if they can handle that without degrading to simple bnb shit with different animations.

sleepykyo

The substantive criticism you speak of is mostly based on conjecture, and not to mention an overly negative attitude towards the developers and Capcom.

How does halving the responsiveness and fluidity by their own admission (30fps) not count as substantive criticism? It's the only thing that can be objectively evaluated so far. Everything else from art direction to the story is fairly subjective.

Endo Punk

Team Ninja must have learned their lesson after making fundamental changes to their franchise trying to go for the "mainstream" crowd.

Capcom is next (because Ninja Theory wont learned a thing after DmC bombs).
They will learn how to make more elaborate excuses.

Sojgat

I'm interested to see what Ninja theory come up with. It couldn't be as bad as NG3 and Capcom obviously don't know what to do with the franchise anyway based on the confused direction of DMC4. Dante's redesign excluded I think the art direction of the game looks great. I have seen most of the available gamplay footage and I fail to see anything deal breaking about any of it.

ezekial45

Banned
How does halving the responsiveness and fluidity by their own admission (30fps) not count as substantive criticism? It's the only thing that can be objectively evaluated so far. Everything else from art direction to the story is fairly subjective.

Yes, the game is running at 30FPS - but they went on to explain that the button inputs are running as if they were at 60FPS. I'm paraphrasing here, but the feel of 60FPS game, while running at 30FPS. We don't know how that's gonna pan out, but at the very least it's something they're aware of.

Now, that's not to say that isn't a fair concern. But I do find that assumption that it's going to be an unresponsive mess, which a number of you are convinced it will be, to be a bit premature.

gunbo13

Yes, the game is running at 30FPS - but they went on to explain that the button inputs are running as if they were at 60FPS. I'm paraphrasing here, but the feel of 60FPS game, while running at 30FPS. We don't know how that's gonna pan out, but at the very least it's something they're aware of.
The only issue there is that you can't achieve what isn't there. So while the end result may have input polling on par with 60fps, you can't fully design a 60fps game around that. Therefore, what you will get is a 30fps game with 60fps polling. So it will be more responsive then 30/30, which could lead to issues with frame rate drops. The 60fps polling is more of a remark on creating a smooth experience for animation canceling designed around 30fps. People who are treating that as achieving what a 60fps title should do, would be incorrect. It is purely an improved 30fps experience.

That's why the "feel of 60fps" is accurate, yet silly.

I think a lot of what he is saying is accurate.

Imo, Dmc needs a reboot because Bayonetta exists. Dmc 5 would have likely paled in comparison to Bayo if it followed the same formula, so Capcom needed to reboot.

That isn't to say that they made a wise choice in picking NT. It's probably the worst developer they could have picked for the job. But honestly, looking at how they've handled most of their series as of late I'm not surprised they handled this so poorly.

Then again, this could be a really fun game after all. Let's just wait and see.

rvy

Banned
I think a lot of what he is saying is accurate.

Imo, Dmc needs a reboot because Bayonetta exists. Dmc 5 would have likely paled in comparison to Bayo if it followed the same formula, so Capcom needed to reboot.

DMC needs Kamiya more than it needed a reboot. And it's not like he doesn't want to do DMC 5 either.

He also said he would love to do another Viewtiful Joe, to finish the trilogy's story

Expect that to be announced at Captivate this year!

*has literally been saying the same statement for years to no avail*

;_;

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He also said he would love to do another Viewtiful Joe, to finish the trilogy's story

Expect that to be announced at Captivate this year!

*has literally been saying the same statement for years to no avail*

;_;

Instead, Capcom wants to turn all their titles into Westernized crap. Ugh. Makes me sick.

Wonder how badly PG burned their bridges with Capcom, and vice versa

and I would have to assume PG would be cheaper than Western devs given it's local. But Capcom and their admiration for "Western" flavors...

mandas

Neo Member
DMC needs Kamiya more than it needed a reboot. And it's not like he doesn't want to do DMC 5 either.

This. I don't think the DmC reboot exists because of Bayo either like someone else said. This reboot was in discussion well before Bayo hit the streets. This reboot came solely from their "westernization" turn they are into. It has nothing to do with the DMC4 since the game play was damned solid and it sold well. DMC4 was just weird because it introduced a new protagonist and it felt like not only an introductory story but a half Dante story. I had expected DMC5 to remedy this.

Top Bottom