• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Think Starfeld Will Be New Skyrim?

Robb

Gold Member
In 2063 when the fifth one comes out, THAT will be the good one.
Starfield V: Skyrim
chinese-china.gif

I think it was a wasted opportunity, they should've made it more sci-fi, with alien races and strange planets.
Might be for the general consumer, we’ll see. There’s so much of that already though. I personally think it’s a breath of fresh air to get something more grounded. I really like the visual design of everything I’ve seen thus far.

Dutchy

People were already screaming fus ro dah on the streets a year before Skyrim released. It was a cultural phenomenom. So it depends in what way you think it will be bigger.

So far I'm not too sold on Starfield. And I live and breathe sci-fi/shooters while not being keen on fantasy/medieval stuff at all. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Laptop1991

I don't think so, while i think it will be a good game, Tes is fantasy, Starfield is sci-fi, Fallout 4 wasn't the new Skyrim either, which is more comparable for me, Tes has more lore and history, Starfield is a new ip, even though some of the game mechanics willl be familiar, it,s not an Elder Scroll game.

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Well, it's a Bethesda game so it will be a broken piece of shit at launch and gamers will still give Todd Howard millions.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Does it feature the superior Dunmer race? Of course not.
It only features mongrel dogs, probably from the empire.
What a grand and intoxicating innocence. Therefore it cant be as good as any Elder Scrolls.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Will it sell? Yeah.
Will it have the same impact as skyrim? Not even close.
It will be more like fallout.

I think it was a wasted opportunity, they should've made it more sci-fi, with alien races and strange planets. More like star trek, star wars, mass effect, and less like the expanse (don't get me wrong I love the show, but not because of it's world or its sci-fi elements)
I think they didn't go in that direction because of all the stuff you mentioned. Mass Effect already exists, but a big RPG with the NASA aesthetics doesn't.

Ozriel

M$FT
You don’t need magic and dragons to be super popular or successful.

Cyberpunk 2077 launched with crazy hype and it had no magic or alien stuff.

I can’t imagine that happening if it’s not on PlayStation, considering how large the PS player base is. Skyrim was just a different beast though, I don’t know if I can see it happening even if it was released on all platforms but it’s probably too early to tell.

Kacho

I don’t think it’ll reach those highs. Skyrim had that “it” factor, same with the Fallout series to a lesser extent. I haven’t seen that with Starfield yet and we won’t truly know until we play it. Need to see how compelling the worlds are. How immersive is it and the overall vibe. Etc.

Last edited:
Yes!! 100% yes!

It will be the same as Skyrim - a buggy mess, with broken quests, missing npcs and boring fighting with boring quests that will take few iterations (limited edition, special edition, 10th anniversary edition and super galactic editions) to polish it in a way that after few years you will only have few bugs present.

Nah, I'm good
It’s okay to be afraid.

Fbh

I think it will be big and we'll be hearing about modders are doing with it for years to come.
But it won't be as big as Skyrim mainly because Sci Fi just doesn't have the same universal appeal as fantasy, and it's not on Playstation either.

PeteBull

I'm considering to buy a Series S or a Steamdeck just for playing this. Hopefully is gonna be awesome.
out of those 2 i would suggest series s, steamdeck is much weaker and game looks like its gonna have if not massive than relatively high pc requirements, steamdeck usually runs games at res/settings(overall graphical look) below ps4

Astray

Gold Member
I think it will do quite well on PC, that's where most of the Skyrim community lives, and I think the Xbox fanbase will definitely be energized for it.

I personally look forward to trying it out, the concept appeals to me far more than any other big Bethesda game.

killatopak

Depends. It's not just about game mechanics and moddability.

TES has a huge community centered around lore and continuity. Entire youtube channels with millions of subscribers thrive on just exploring the rich and detailed world the series offers.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Prediction time!

When it's all said and done it will be more popular than Fallout 4. To put things in perspective, Fallout 4 is the second most modded game on Nexusmods.

No way it will reach Skyrim level of popularity.

NickFire

I have very high expectations for this game as an actual game. It's by far the most interesting new IP coming this year IMO. I also think people who enjoyed prior big releases (not counting 76) from Bethesda will be very pleased with it. And there's no doubt a lot of people will play it.

Whether it will be a commercial success in relation to the development / advertising cost and profit, I am not very confident in. My gut is saying it would be considered a commercial flop by traditional metrics because of how many people will play it as part of subscription. But my gut also says that doesn't matter to MS because they see it as a loss leader anyway. So from MS perspective, I'm guessing they only care about growth and retention metrics (beyond $1 deals, which I bet evaporate before this launches).

But in terms of general long lasting impact like Skyrim? Absolutely no way I can believe it at this time. Everyone had the ability to play Skyrim, whereas this one is limiting itself to the smallest console install base. It would need to have a cultural impact like GTA3 to possibly make up for the reduction in potential audience.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
No.

First, it's a new franchise. It looks great, but it could end up gash like FO4.

Also, Skyrim has been released on every system possible. Starfield will be exclusive to Xbox and PC. It won't do the same number of sales or have a tail as long as Skyrim.

I also think the space theme might limit the audience a bit too. Basically because when you're dealing with a futuristic fictional culture as opposed to a quasi historically one, I think people look at things more critically in terms of believability of dialogue, character, and overall outlook.

Cultural baggage tends to carry forwards more easily than backwards in "time".

MiguelItUp

I think they certainly want it to be, but if it will land at all even remotely NEAR something like that will only tell with time.

I think the fantasy theme is widely more popular than the sci-fi theme, but I could be wrong. It'd be really cool to see it be just as good and popular as Skyrim, but I have a feeling it's going to land somewhere between good or great. But won't have the same staying power like Skyrim did/does.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I also think the space theme might limit the audience a bit too. Basically because when you're dealing with a futuristic fictional culture as opposed to a quasi historically one, I think people look at things more critically in terms of believability of dialogue, character, and overall outlook.

Cultural baggage tends to carry forwards more easily than backwards in "time".

There is that. Skyrim had you battling dragons and giants. Starfield just looks like Fallout mixed with No Man's Sky.

I should add that I'm looking forward to Starfield, but I just don't think it's going to be Skyrim levels of amazing. I'm expecting FO4 at the very best. I hope I'm proved wrong.

StueyDuck

Different market today plus the widely well know issues of Bethesda bugs and fallout 76 disaster will dampen any impact.

Not to mention the fact that skyrim is more meme status now than anything else. People think skyrim they think arrow to the knee and Thomas the tank engine dragons and horse armor

ZoukGalaxy

Doubt.

Skyrim is really unique, like an apogee for the series, especially with its nordic settings delighted by Jeremy Soule's musics, now... canceled to Bethesda (fuck you Retardera).
I now, Soule worked only on TES anyway, but I already miss him for TES6... will never be the same. Beside TESO musics sounds so generic, I'm afraid we'll get the same further.

Sorry, partial off topic.

Last edited:

Caffeine

honestly it just looks boring to me what they have shown is some empty ass gameplay. I havent seen like a meteor shower or any real threat for the player.

Fredrik

I don't think it will be as successful as skyrim.
Mostly cause I don't even know what this game is about.
Did you know what Skyrim was about before launch? I didn’t.

But I don’t think it’ll be as successful as Skyrim. Skyrim is on so many platforms and has had new releases and VR versions etc.

Ozriel

M$FT
Yes!! 100% yes!

It will be the same as Skyrim - a buggy mess, with broken quests, missing npcs and boring fighting with boring quests that will take few iterations (limited edition, special edition, 10th anniversary edition and super galactic editions) to polish it in a way that after few years you will only have few bugs present.

Nah, I'm good

The same Skyrim that launched to stellar reviews and multiple GOTY awards? Metacritic 96%? Selling 20 million units In 1.5 years?

The way discourse goes here, you’d think the game flopped on release and only got decent after special editions came out years later.

NahaNago

I'm going to say no. I think it will be big and one of the biggest releases of this gen but it won't be the new skyrim.

FBeeEye

Banned
This game will eventually require expanded storage because I can see Bethesda updating planets and stuff for 10-15 years.

Top Bottom