• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do You Think Starfeld Will Be New Skyrim?

Skyrim is HUGE. Over a decade later people are still playing it and talking about it as if it was just released a year ago. The game has so much attention it's unbelievable.
Really can't say that I experience the same.
In my sorroundings this game rarly comes up.

Do you think Starfeld will have the same impact at all? Do you think it will even have a fraction of the impact that a game like Skyrim has?
Probably, the fanbase is still there. And if it provides similar gameplay and modding capability it will be successfull.

Skyrim is so massively and insanely popular and Bethesda really knows how to make games that hold up. Even Fallout is still kind of a big deal nowadays.
Not so sure about Fallout. I don't know many gamer that are still into it. But as with every game out there, there probably a community thats still playing and modding it.

But so far it seems like you are living in a bubble thats all about bethesda games. Maybe you are overestimating todays importance of these games or I am underestimating them.
What can we do without Bethesda and their nearly flawless Western role-playing games?
I really hope this isn't true. I hope theres at least as much people that do not like their games as there are fans of it. Because to me bethesda games are mediocore at best.

Although maybe if we narrow down your definition to something like "Western sandbox role-playing games" I wouldn't be to bothered.

What will happen with this new game do you think?

Theres no way to answer this yet. I would have to be able to play it for myself before I can say anything about it.
It could be absolute trash or a masterpiece at this point. Theres simply not enough information yet about the game or its current state.

Last edited:

lukilladog

No way, the space sci fi thematic is not as popular among women. And personally I don't feel like playing it, it looks outdated.

I think it was a wasted opportunity, they should've made it more sci-fi, with alien races and strange planets. More like star trek, star wars, mass effect, and less like the expanse (don't get me wrong I love the show, but not because of it's world or its sci-fi elements)
Wait a second.

So the game is going to be more low science fiction like The Expanse? Filled with politics and very little about aliens?

I want to add that I am surprised that people are more into fantasy than science fiction. I can understand why in a role-playing game sense of the word. But Starfield feels like it's going into the mass effect direction or Star Control even.

Mass Effect is one of my favorite games of all time because of how much it reminded me of my other favorite game Star Control. I'm going to shit my pants if it's like Star Control and Mass Effect where we explore different planets that we can walk around on foot.

But if it's true that it's more like the expense, then my hope is dwindling. I thought the show The Expanse was very good. But it's all about politics with very little about the mysterious aliens and it mostly sticks to our solar system. I don't want that for a video game.

So I hope it's more Star Control and Mass Effect then it is The Expanse. I don't want a game about terrorists belters and high in politics about the Mars people versus the Earth people. I want weird fucking aliens like Star Trek and Star Wars. I want to explore strange new worlds and seek out bizarre civilizations and go where no man, woman or non-binary or whatever you want to call yourself has gone before.

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Its a new IP and the hype and marketing behind it is not even close to Fallout 4 or Skyrim levels, so no.
Actually i would also make a guess and say that Starfield will probably be the worst selling Big game from Bethesda, at least when adjusted for inflation or whatever that is called lol.
I think it will be a great game, but sales wise its not gonna be that big, TES and Fallout IPs are just more appealing, maybe Starfield 2 will be, if the first one ends up being really good.

Brigandier

Larry David Reaction GIF

GHG

There will be a Tamriel themed planet in Starfield.

I'll be very surprised if they don't create a planet that at least makes reference to that world, even if its long before or long after (maybe a tamirel that has been destroyed?).

Last edited:
Oh no I am disappoint already.

I haven't seen many trailers for this game. Can you point out one that shows this, please?
Theres a 12 minute demo from E3 last year and im pretty sure Todd howard himself talk about there not being humanoid intelligent aliens. Its not gonna be like mass effect, i think you mostly just fight other humans and space creatures

There will be a Tamriel themed planet in Starfield.

I'll be very surprised if they don't create a planet that at least makes reference to that world, even if its long before or long after (maybe a tamirel that has been destroyed?).
The cosmology is so vastly different in the Elder Scrolls series not there's no way you would come upon Tamriel.

In fact, outer space isn't your typical outer space in the Elder Scrolls but rather Oblivion.

There have been some talks about void ships where people from Tamriel try to explore Oblivion like it was outer space.

But I can 100% guarantee there will be no connection between Starfield and Elder Scrolls or even Starfeld and Fallout.

Theres a 12 minute demo from E3 last year and im pretty sure Todd howard himself talk about there not being humanoid intelligent aliens. Its not gonna be like mass effect, i think you mostly just fight other humans and space creatures
Well, I just watched the 15 minute gameplay video and it looks like it's about some kind of alien artifact. So maybe the aliens are really strange and truly alien. So it might be like the Expanse where the aliens are mysterious and extremely advanced and not just some Star Trek type of ridged faced humanoid with a butt ball.

Edit: I think the proper term here is that it won't be Space Opera.

Last edited:

GHG

The cosmology is so vastly different in the Elder Scrolls series not there's no way you would come upon Tamriel.

In fact, outer space isn't your typical outer space in the Elder Scrolls but rather Oblivion.

There have been some talks about void ships where people from Tamriel try to explore Oblivion like it was outer space.

But I can 100% guarantee there will be no connection between Starfield and Elder Scrolls or even Starfeld and Fallout.

When I come across the inevitable Tamriel easter egg I'll be sure to inform you.

Excited Cat GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
it being exclusive alone is not going to reach Skyrim numbers.
Its a fact.,

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hope so! But Skyrim was lightening in a bottle, the chance of hitting it twice like that is very slim, but not 0!

it being exclusive alone is not going to reach Skyrim numbers.
Its a fact.,

I don't think so, Skyrim is (still) popular because of its modding community on the PC. Starfield, if its going to have legs like skyrim, will thrive because of the PC

Last edited:

begotten

I said this in the other thread where people had a sook.

Starfield doesn't have the same hype and expectations of Skyrim pre-launch, because it's not really doing anything new or spectacular. Game isn't next gen.

It won't move hardware like Skyrim did either - I assume 60-70% of the playerbase (myself included) in it's launch window will be renting it off PC Gamepass.

It'll have longevity by default because of the modding communities, like their other games.

The one thing that excites me about Starfield is that it might be BGS' most polished game on launch. I'll be happy and give it a pass if I can just play it unimpeded start to finish. I just want a fun RPG by them to sink 40-50 hours into like Fallout NV & 3.

Starfield doesn't have the same hype and expectations of Skyrim pre-launch, because it's not really doing anything new or spectacular. Game isn't next gen.
The more I look at it, the more I notice it looks like Elder Scrolls in space.

That's not a bad thing at all.

I can only imagine how huge Elder Scrolls VI will be.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Elder Scrolls VI should have you able to construct a Dwemer airship. Imagine a possibilities that are open to the new Elder Scrolls game as a result of Starfield.

It would be a hoot if the next TES game has easter eggs which hint that the planet they're set on is just one of the planets from Starfield's timeline, just not technically advanced lol.

It would be a hoot if the next TES game has easter eggs which hint that the planet they're set on is just one of the planets from Starfield's timeline, just not technically advanced lol.
That would not be possible with the cosmology of Elder Scrolls. If you know about the cosmology, Oblivion is basically like outer space with different planes and Daedric Realms contained within. The stars are literal portals to Aetherius.

So, there's no possible way to cross over the two games if you take Elder Scrolls Lore to be serious which I do.

Last edited:

hinch7

I mean Starfield is not going to be playable for a large portion of gamers, so most definately not.

Going to be a big hit on PC. Though nowhere near TES.

Have a feeling might be one of those games that hits FOTM/FOMO and falls off shortly but will have a strong community behind it long after release.

Last edited:

RevGaming

Skyrim is HUGE. Over a decade later people are still playing it and talking about it as if it was just released a year ago. The game has so much attention it's unbelievable.

Do you think Starfeld will have the same impact at all? Do you think it will even have a fraction of the impact that a game like Skyrim has? Skyrim is so massively and insanely popular and Bethesda really knows how to make games that hold up. Even Fallout is still kind of a big deal nowadays.

What can we do without Bethesda and their nearly flawless Western role-playing games? What will happen with this new game do you think?

I still think the most popular game of the year came out (Hogwarts).

And I think it will be followed by Zelda and Spider-Man...

Starfield will be where FF16, star wars jedi and re4 remake are on...

Or it could where c2077 stands

I still think the most popular game of the year came out (Hogwarts).

And I think it will be followed by Zelda and Spider-Man...

Starfield will be where FF16, star wars jedi and re4 remake are on...

Or it could where c2077 stands
Is Starfield supposed to be out this year actually?

DeaDPo0L84

No, but that doesn't mean Starfield won't be good, but Skyrim was lightning in a bottle for its time. That's why they literally joked about putting it on a refrigerator. I have said it multiple times but I think Starfield will be a good game but people will be disappointed due to the amount of hype surrounding it.

No, but that doesn't mean Starfield won't be good, but Skyrim was lightning in a bottle for its time. That's why they literally joked about putting it on a refrigerator. I have said it multiple times but I think Starfield will be a good game but people will be disappointed due to the amount of hype surrounding it.
Was it actually lightning in a bottle at the time because before Skyrim I remember a lot of people pretty obsessed with Oblivion and especially Morrowind.

I think it was those two previous games that helped Skyrim gain the traction it did.

So I just checked out the fandom site because I was wondering what the story is going to be about.

It looks like it's about piecing together some alien artifacts that'll lead to all sorts of mysteries.

So like somebody said here earlier, you'll be dealing with humans throughout the game but there are remnants of alien civilizations.

I was hoping this would be more high-end Space Opera and sort of like Star Control meets Elder Scrolls but it appears it's going to be more grounded.

Aliens exist in this universe but it seems like they're truly going to be alien and not people with rubber foreheads.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Kinda...there were previous TES games
Yeah okay that’s a good point.
I do think Todd has said in an interview though that people know their types of games by now and has called it Skyrim in space too. So from that perspective we should already have a decent understanding of what it is.

The main story is mostly unknown though besides the talk about finding out what’s out there, but idk personally I have a clear enough picture to be excited to play it. It’s a Bethesda science fiction RPG. I don’t see a scenario when that doesn’t excite me tbh.

I just hope they don’t stay too grounded in reality. I don’t want to search for Earth and find out it was destroyed by an asteroid or something like that. Would be cooler if they made up a whole new setting, new galaxy, new home planet, new origin of human, fantasy setting like Tamirel but in space.

The main story is mostly unknown though besides the talk about finding out what’s out there, but idk personally I have a clear enough picture to be excited to play it. It’s a Bethesda science fiction RPG. I don’t see a scenario when that doesn’t excite me tbh.
It has something to do with an alien artifact that spherical in nature, it seems. So it's probably one of those games where there's no intelligent aliens that we know of and the vastly intelligent ones are leaving clues behind for whatever reason.

I think that's why some people are comparing it to The Expanse.

Fredrik

It has something to do with an alien artifact that spherical in nature, it seems. So it's probably one of those games where there's no intelligent aliens that we know of and the vastly intelligent ones are leaving clues behind for whatever reason.

I think that's why some people are comparing it to The Expanse.
Yeah could be similar but I hope they go further with alien lifeforms, the potential here is off the scale.

Yeah could be similar but I hope they go further with alien lifeforms, the potential here is off the scale.
Somewhere earlier in the thread somebody said that Todd Phillips mentioned there will not be any humanoid aliens in the game.

So my guess is this is going to be a story similar to Interstellar, Contact, The Expanse, Rendezvous with Rama or other movies and shows where the intelligent aliens are in the background and manipulating events or whatever.

Fredrik

Somewhere earlier in the thread somebody said that Todd Phillips mentioned there will not be any humanoid aliens in the game.

So my guess is this is going to be a story similar to Interstellar, Contact, The Expanse, Rendezvous with Rama or other movies and shows where the intelligent aliens are in the background and manipulating events or whatever.
Todd Howard? Haven’t seen him say that. Source?
Either way, humanoids could be out I guess but we know from the trailer that there will be alien lifeforms at least. I hope they go bananas there, concept art show some interesting things so I hope they didn’t scrap it. No holding back, Bethesda!
It would be cool with some madly infested planets for extremely rare resources, No Man’s Sky went there in one of the patches, was really cool.

Top Bottom