• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we should use death row inmates for medical experimentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me start off by saying that I am not necessarily in favor of this ... but reading another thread got me thinking about the possibility of testing certain drugs on death row inmates to help push the limits of technology and medical science.

I can thank of a few reasons not to... such as we can get similar results from certain animals, or it could possibly cause suffering to the patient if things don't go as planned....

Thoughts? OR.... is this already being done in some places????

Sure why not!
Let's rope in all the other undesirables as well, immigrants, unemployed, uneducated, it's a never ending well

what a fucking terrible idea.

You mean forcibly performing medical experiments on death row inmates? Or giving them the option of a stay of execution for as long as they remain a useful test subject? I'm not sure which is more distasteful...

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Holy fucking shit no! NO! This is venturing in Nazi death camp experiments. No thank you.

Geist-

Considering the significant likelihood that a death row inmate isn't guilty is greater than zero, fuck no, and even if they were all 100% guilty, still fuck no.

daviyoung

Banned
we've seen the effects of this in the documentary Batman and Robin

Bane-in-Batman-and-Robin.gif

it didn't end well

Flux

The answer is NO. Look up the Declaration of Helsinki and the Tuskegee Study. Basically WW2 had some horrible human experimentation and that led to an ethics standard that prevents that sort of treatment. It's strange to think its not that old, but it a basic human right not to be experimented on.

____

What the fuck is this mentality of inmates not being considered human? Have you had family members or friends with family in prison before?

Jobbs

Banned
Is this a real question?

We have an amendment specifically prohibiting cruel and unusual punishment (The 8th one).

I'm not sure what the peaceful and humane way to murder someone is, but our prisons are already frequently in clear violation of this

Leth inject can be a horrifying process

Woffls

"When the fall's all that's left, it matters a great deal."

Also there probably wouldn't be enough test cases to prove anything conclusively.

Fuck no. We have to draw a line somewhere, even if we're to put them to death doesn't mean they should be treated like animals, no matter what kind of person they are.

Doc_Drop

Let me start off by saying that I am not necessarily in favor of this ... but reading another thread got me thinking about the possibility of testing certain drugs on death row inmates to help push the limits of technology and medical science.

I can thank of a few reasons not to... such as we can get similar results from certain animals, or it could possibly cause suffering to the patient if things don't go as planned....

Thoughts? OR.... is this already being done in some places????

Fucking hell. No

There shouldn't even be death row or capital punishment

Let's entertain the possibility, allright?

1. We already know innocents end up in death row all the time (some never even make it out again), so we might be experimenting on innocents.
2. Since blacks are absurdly more likely to end up in death row, we'd just need to add up another chip into the pile of fucked up things black people have to stand in the US.
3. After for profit prisions made their appearance we saw a surge in incarceration in the US. What do you think is going to happen with this once farmaceutical companies start getting experimental?

Ron Mexico

The 8th Amendment? Anyone?

And I say this as someone who was pro-capital punishment for the bulk of my early years-- as it is right now, the death penalty (particularly lethal injection) itself is going to face more legal challenges. This would be laughed out of the room.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Death row shouldn't be a thing. This cold, senseless idea that those who do wrong, even terrible things, are irredeemable is not true. What's worse is the idea that these people should not have the -chance- to redeem themselves.

There should not be a death row, there should not be a life imprisonment. There should just be 'is it safe to let this person back out into the world?' and 'how can we help this person become better?'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom