• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we should use death row inmates for medical experimentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
this thread lol...

Here's the main reason you don't experiment on them. What if you make one into a superhuman and they escape? Now you've just created a superhuman out of a murderer. Bad idea, folks.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I have to keep reminding myself that a lot of people actually believe that doing a horrible thing to a person you think is bad makes you good.

Executions in the US are medical experiments. The vulnerable and mentally ill are injected with barely tested, dubiously obtained chemicals to kill them, after several minutes (sometimes hours) of observing their agony.

This is a great point. As the "traditional" drugs used for lethal injections have become harder to get, states have been trying any old thing they have lying around, and guess what? It tends not to go well.

If we're going to continue to have the death penalty we might as well go back to the firing squad. It would be more humane.

The lethal injections ones....

What about hanging and firing squad? I am not even sure if that is still practiced.

Virtual all executions in the US are through lethal injections. However, in 2010 a man in Utah choose to be executed by firing squad via an obscure law. In 2015, Utah brought back the firing squad into routine executions, but nobody has been executed under that law yet.

Jesus Christ no, that is grotesque. No advancements or breakthroughs are worth this. It completely devalues human life, it's even worse than the death penalty itself.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
this thread lol...

Here's the main reason you don't experiment on them. What if you make one into a superhuman and they escape? Now you've just created a superhuman out of a murderer. Bad idea, folks.

LMAO, this is the main reason? I think you should re-evaluate.

Ron Mexico

The lethal injections ones....

What about hanging and firing squad? I am not even sure if that is still practiced.

Hanging and firing squad are both technically on the books-- I want to say somewhere out west. Utah maybe? The gas chamber and electric chair still exist as well in a handful of states.

I would encourage you to read up on all this a bit. I still owe so much to an old college professor who changed not only my opinion on capital punishment, but in turn changed my career goals and subsequently my life.

typist

Maybe. It depends on the criminal and the type of experiment. The idea that we feed and house mass murderers while innocents suffer is infuriating. To me it seems more economical, and ethical, to execute the mass murderers and house the innocents. Though in a perfect world we would have unlimited resources and feed and house everyone, in a perfect world we could even change the criminals into decent people. But we don't live in a perfect world. If there was 100% certainty I could find a cure to Alzheimers by experimenting on a thousand serial killers then I would do it. The problem in real life is that there is rarely certainty

Jackpot

Banned
Will not deny that. Stranger Things has got me thinking. Never said I agree with it.. I just want to hear peoples opinions on it. To say I am fucked up or crazy for asking a question is a bit silly (not saying this directly to you of course).

So you're "just asking questions".

kmfdmpig

Maybe. It depends on the criminal and the type of experiment. The idea that we feed and house mass murderers while innocents suffer is infuriating. To me it seems more economical, and ethical, to execute the mass murderers and house the innocents. Though in a perfect world we would have unlimited resources and feed and house everyone, in a perfect world we could even change the criminals into decent people. But we don't live in a perfect world. If there was 100% certainty I could find a cure to Alzheimers by experimenting on a thousand serial killers then I would do it. The problem in real life is that there is rarely certainty

You have a very odd moral compass.
Experimenting on prisoners = A OK.
Fighting the Nazis in WW2 = not the right choice.

I don't see how anyone can arrive at either position, but to hold both makes no sense at all.

Let me start off by saying that I am not necessarily in favor of this ... but reading another thread got me thinking about the possibility of testing certain drugs on death row inmates to help push the limits of technology and medical science.

I can thank of a few reasons not to... such as we can get similar results from certain animals, or it could possibly cause suffering to the patient if things don't go as planned....

Thoughts? OR.... is this already being done in some places????

Of course not.

That's actually what Nazis, like the infamous Dr. Mengele did that with the Jews and other minorities. How do you think we know today how long people, from all ages and sizes, can survive on average in a room full of smoke from a fire? Or under water? Yeah, they did a lot of those experiments back then.

I am disgusted that someone actually thinks this is something one should debate about.

Even if you go along with this horrific idea, there aren't even enough people to get a good sample size for good scientific experiments. There are literally no good points to this idea.

Enzom21

Vertus1-300x200.jpg

Yeah let's continue this great tradition.
Not shocked by who posted this psychotic nonsense.

typist
I could cure Alzheimers by experimenting on 1,000 serial killers, but only if I knew it would work with 100% certainty

So you're "just asking questions".

pretty much... just getting peoples opinions as I like to read them. Of course, if I ever thought this would become a reality, I would think that it should be on a voluntary basis... maybe giving a convicted death row inmate the ability to choose. If the inmate has remorse for his actions then he/ she may feel that this is their way to redemption. That maybe their sacrifice will help others...???

Good god of course not. Horrific idea. We've already seen the horrors of this kind of thing, crazy that anyone would even entertain the idea nowadays.

It costs more to execute than to house.

pretty much... just getting peoples opinions as I like to read them. Of course, if I ever thought this would become a reality, I would think that it should be on a voluntary basis... maybe giving a convicted death row inmate the ability to choose. If the inmate has remorse for his actions then he/ she may feel that this is their way to redemption. That maybe their sacrifice will help others...???

This would not be a choice in any meaningful sense of the word. There's a reason the people who give "do this or die" ultimatums in movies are the bad guys.

Jackpot

Banned

There's so many things wrong with this post that I don't know where to begin.

But let's just stick with the fact that when push comes to shove you think that "maybe" human experiments should be voluntary.

Just maybe. Wouldn't want to sound too sane now.

OP makes a valid logical conclusion though: if you're going to strip away a prisoner's right to life, why not strip away everything else?

ffs this is not a valid conclusion. why not hang them in madison square garden and televise it, think of the profits their deaths could generate. /s

All... lets not make this a race issue... this is just a question to provoke thought. I personally don't think it is a good idea, but (and I should have been more clear)... reading another thread there were somewhat similar comments about letting people wipe criminals minds... things like that...
Never said it was a good idea, just curious as to peoples thoughts on progressing medicine/ technology and what the potential pros and cons are.

Calm down Gaf.

Yup nothing racial about the prison system and the way justice is handed out.

People are really showing their ass; we can't even get a full week into the new year.

Azzanadra

"I man has a choice, I chose the impossible... were the scientist would not be bound by petty morality."

I really question what led you to ask such a question? Surely the answer was obvious?

Well... This thread was obviously a mistake. Also, nah, lets stick to being humane and not experiment on people like what was done in the past.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
OP makes a valid question though: if you're going to strip away a prisoner's right to life, why not strip away everything else?

I agree with the basic premise; if one is morally OK with the death penalty, it's hard to morally defend medical experimentation.

The problem is though; most of us are not OK with the death penalty. I also believe the death penalty is morally reprehensible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom