• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think we should use death row inmates for medical experimentation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All... lets not make this a race issue... this is just a question to provoke thought. I personally don't think it is a good idea, but (and I should have been more clear)... reading another thread there were somewhat similar comments about letting people wipe criminals minds... things like that...
Never said it was a good idea, just curious as to peoples thoughts on progressing medicine/ technology and what the potential pros and cons are.

Calm down Gaf.

All... lets not make this a race issue... this is just a question to provoke thought. I personally don't think it is a good idea, but (and I should have been more clear)... reading another thread there were somewhat similar comments about letting people wipe criminals minds... things like that...
Never said it was a good idea, just curious as to peoples thoughts on progressing medicine/ technology and what the potential pros and cons are.

Calm down Gaf.
Holy shit you're still at this?

Even if you didn't see or care about the considerable ethical problems, it's pretty much a given that if we did this corporations conducting or benefiting from the experiments would start lobbying for more excessive use of the death penalty to get more guinea pigs, and that's no good for anyone.

Death row shouldn't be a thing. This cold, senseless idea that those who do wrong, even terrible things, are irredeemable is not true. What's worse is the idea that these people should not have the -chance- to redeem themselves.

There should not be a death row, there should not be a life imprisonment. There should just be 'is it safe to let this person back out into the world?' and 'how can we help this person become better?'

All noble thoughts! The death penalty itself is so controversial. I myself don't really have a problem with it. The truth is there are some people that can't be fixed. However, I also don't think that we use or prisons and jails effectively.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Perverse incentive to condemn more people to death?
Yeah, no.

Even if you didn't see or care about the considerable ethical problems, it's pretty much a given that if we did this corporations conducting or benefiting from the experiments would start lobbying for more excessive use of the death penalty to get more guinea pigs, and that's no good for anyone.

Now this is a proper argument and a very valid point. IT's like opening a can of worms and inviting a bigger problem. Point taken!

Caelus

All... lets not make this a race issue... this is just a question to provoke thought.

The prison industrial complex is inherently intertwined with racism, leaving race out of the issue ignores much of the complexities. Black men tend to receive the death penalty more. The U.S. Government has had a history of scientific experimentation on black people.

The answer is still no.

br3wnor

Cons: Using humans against their will for medical experiements

That's all you fucking need.

And just because you're on death row doesn't mean you're guilty (which still wouldn't make it ok), the reason death row lasts so long is for the appeals process to play out. People have been found not guilty after being sentenced to death.

TS-08

Calm down Gaf.

I think you just need to accept that this isn't a particularly compelling thought experiment because it just doesn't foster much debate. And if you pose a question that prompts real world examples, then be prepared for people to make them.

See guys, your problem is that you still think these death row inmates are people.

I assure you, that could not be further from the truth. They're in prison, so they aren't people. If they were people, they wouldn't be in prison! It's really that simple.

So, in the grand scheme of things, these are only tiny sacrifices, like killing grass to plant wheat. The results from these experiments could save millions of lives. Human lives, all at the cost of a few prisoners.

/s for the love of god /s /s /s /s

Calm down Gaf.

17d7c9174f5cec87a7b6c2e3048c14b3.gif

Ron Mexico

Why does the USA still have capital punishment?

Technical answer: Gregg v. Georgia in the '70s opened things back up and allowed the states to decide for themselves

Practical answer (for where it's still used): Ties back to the eye for an eye mentality. Mostly popular in the deep south where it's marketed as a deterrent. Studies are (to be extraordinarily generous here) mixed on the notion of it being an actual deterrent. Could also make a good case for just sheer bloodlust.

That's also eliminating the socioeconomic factors involved.

daviyoung

Banned

Calm down Gaf.

dude, we'll be 3D-printing human dummies with organs and systems that can be controlled by switches before we decide to go down your route and experiment with real people

kmfdmpig

Luckily, the scientific community and the government have gone in the opposite direction by putting in safeguards to try to protect vulnerable populations (mentally ill, prisoners, children) from the harm that can come from research. To do otherwise would be the embrace the horrors of Nazi Germany, Unit 731, or the Tuskegee Syphilis trials all of which were a disgrace.

ironmang

Death row shouldn't be a thing. This cold, senseless idea that those who do wrong, even terrible things, are irredeemable is not true. What's worse is the idea that these people should not have the -chance- to redeem themselves.

There should not be a death row, there should not be a life imprisonment. There should just be 'is it safe to let this person back out into the world?' and 'how can we help this person become better?'

I'd rather murderers redeem themselves on the inside and stay there. If you want freedom how about not killing people.

Calm down Gaf.

You asked a really stupid and horrifying question and are getting the appropriate response.

Let me start off by saying that I am not necessarily in favor of this ... but reading another thread got me thinking about the possibility of testing certain drugs on death row inmates to help push the limits of technology and medical science.

what thread was that, "good ideas the nazis had"?

Guys this is just a thought experiment and I don't necessarily agree with it myself I'm just bringing up the idea but what if we sterilized people with physical and intellectual disabilities.

Hahaha op has been watching too much Netflix

Will not deny that. Stranger Things has got me thinking. Never said I agree with it.. I just want to hear peoples opinions on it. To say I am fucked up or crazy for asking a question is a bit silly (not saying this directly to you of course).

Convicted rapists and paedophiles. Nothing wrong with making them human guinea pigs.

Because crime erases human rights amirite?

Will not deny that. Stranger Things has got me thinking. Never said I agree with it.. I just want to hear peoples opinions on it. To say I am fucked up or crazy for asking a question is a bit silly (not saying this directly to you of course).

Why is this a topic you're even considering? What's there to debate? Why do people still think "I'm just asking questions" absolves them of anything?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Obviously not, it's morally reprehensible.

If you want to at least redeem your thread, have a viable alternative.

i.e. What if it was voluntary?

What? And waste all the good spare parts the soon to be deceased are carrying? Good, proper, tax paying (not really) citizens might need a liver or heart (also not really), why risk spoiling them with experiments? /s

Executions in the US are medical experiments. The vulnerable and mentally ill are injected with barely tested, dubiously obtained chemicals to kill them, after several minutes (sometimes hours) of observing their agony.

Obviously not, it's morally reprehensible.

If you want to at least redeem your thread, have a viable alternative.

i.e. What if it was voluntary?

It's not voluntary if you're a prisoner, because there is an implication of quid pro quo that might keep someone from being executed. You are giving them one viable choice, and thus, it is not a choice at all.

Executions in the US are medical experiments. The vulnerable and mentally ill are injected with barely tested, dubiously obtained chemicals to kill them, after several minutes of observing their agony.

The lethal injections ones....

What about hanging and firing squad? I am not even sure if that is still practiced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom