• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr Dre donating all royalties from his new album to fund arts centre for Compton kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMax

Dr. Dre announced that he will donate the royalties from his new album “Compton,” a companion to N.W.A. biopic “Straight Outta Compton,” toward building a community center in Compton, Calif. for children to learn about arts and entertainment.

Dre announced the donation Thursday morning on Apple Music’s “Beats 1″ radio show with Zane Lowe.

“I reached out to the Compton mayor’s office, got in touch with the mayor, Aja Brown, and I’ve decided to donate all of my artist royalties from the sale of this album to help fund a new performing arts and entertainment facility for the kids in Compton,” Dre said.

He added, “I’ve been really trying to do something special for Compton and just couldn’t quite figure out what it was. [Brown] actually had this idea and she was already in the process of working on it. I said, ‘Boom, this is what we should do.'”

The 16-track companion to the biopic is subtitled “A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre.” The set includes cuts from rap heavyweights Eminem, Ice Cube, Kendrick Lamar, Snoop Dogg, the Game and Xzibit, among others. The hip-hop legend said working on the movie energized him to make new music.

“During principal photography, I felt myself going to the studio and being so inspired by the movie that I started recording an album,” Dre said on his Beats 1 show earlier this month.

“Compton” will debut on Apple Music Thursday night at 6 p.m. PST, streaming on loop for three hours before officially dropping Friday, Aug. 7.

“Straight Outta Compton” bows in theaters Aug. 14.

Still got love for the streets.

Source (Variety)

sfedai0

Banned
Isnt he nearly a billionaire from the sale of Beats? Nice of him but sounds more like a PR push for the movie and album.

Salsa

Isnt he nearly a billionaire from the sale of Beats? Nice of him but sounds more like a PR push for the movie and album.

"he's doing something nice but he should be doing THE NICEST!"

who cares. this is a good thing

what are you doing?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Good on him for doing that. I'm pretty excited for the movie, so I might have to pick this up.

Salsa

"oh wow kid, that's some good art, where are you coming from?"

"I am coming directly out of the Compton Art's Center, Sir."

riotous

Banned
Thread Title said:
Dr Dre donating all royalties from his new album to fund arts centre for Compton kids

Well it's a new Dre album and it's tied to what from all angles looks like a great movie so I imagine quite a bit.

Nah.. look at the fine print.

I’ve decided to donate all of my artist royalties from the sale of this album

We all know "artist royalties" aren't a high percentage; now the money he'll collect as owner of the label / executive producer on the other hand...

I have my flame suit prepared; do your worst NeoGAF.

Kids get a community center. Who cares if it's for PR?

Money to a good cause is still a good thing.

Who gives a shit?

"he's doing something nice but he should be doing THE NICEST!"

who cares. this is a good thing

what are you doing?

So? There's a community center being built. I don't think the kids in that area give a crap if someone thinks it's PR.

What other millionaires or billionaires are doing anything for Compton?

Exactly.

You're right. He should have kept the money.

Charity is charity bro

I love a good GAF pile on.
I agree with the victim here, Dre could fund 20 art centers, what took him so long? Oh he wants the people who buy his album to fund it.

riotous

Banned
I agree with the victim here, Dre could fund 20 art centers, what took him so long? Oh he wants the people who buy his album to fund it.

And as I noted; he'll likely make more money than he gives away in "artist royalties."

But I'd rather charity PR moves exist than not. Dre doesn't really deserve much of any praise for the move though.

Kids in Compton who otherwise might have just sat on the streets and banged instead get a community center.

But oh noes that's not good enough for some people that a Billionaire is giving away millions of sales to help kids in his hometown because... idk fuck rich people for not doing more?

riotous

Banned
Kids in Compton who otherwise might have just sat on the streets and banged instead get a community center.

But oh noes that's not good enough for some people that a Billionaire is giving away millions of sales to help kids in his hometown because... idk fuck rich people for not doing more?

NeoGAF demands all conversations are black and white; NO DISCUSSION OF ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHETHER IT'S 100% GOOD OR 100% BAD!

And if you don't fall in line; prepare to be mocked! Oh no! People quoting posts and mocking them on the internet! The horror!

He sure could and he should be encouraged to do so but that doesn't mean that this isn't a good first step in his philanthropic endeavors.

I've got the new album preordered, so it's nice to know that some of what I'm putting my money into is actually going to make a difference in some kids lives.

I mean, uh, fuck that guy, he should spend all the dollars on his hometown or just hoard it all. How dare he.

Africanus

Nothing is truly altruistic. If he wants to boost his album and do an excellent act, who am I to judge?

This thread's got a way to go before it plumbs the pressurized depths that the Ghostbusters Visit a Children's Hospital thread managed to attain.

James Cameron almost filmed a documentary in that motherfucker.

riotous

Banned
He could just.. not do it? Maybe you could donate millions to fund it for the kids instead.

Well I'd rather he do it; the other guy getting piled on also said it was nice of him. He has done other charitable acts I think he deserves more praise for honestly.

I'm unconvinced it will be millions though; I don't think "artist royalties" add up to millions for an album these days.

It's a cool move that also might make him more money than if he hadn't done it as this will cause lots of PR; not hating on him for doing it.. go Dre.

And go charitable PR moves in general; it's a good thing they can be lucrative or else there'd likely be less charity. GAF's complete inability to disucss these things without emotional pile-on's is ridiculous though.

Squalor

This thread's got a way to go before it plumbs the pressurized depths that the Ghostbusters Visit a Children's Hospital thread managed to attain.

James Cameron almost filmed a documentary in that motherfucker.
In the hospital or the thread? Haha.

hmmm let me google "dr dre charity"

Dr. Dre has ponied up $1 million, Britney Spears and Busta Rhymes are joining Sister Sledge’s new “Family” and Mariah Carey is coming out of seclusion as musicians of all stripes seek ways to pitch in to the worldwide relief effort for victims of last week’s terrorist attacks (September 11th)
http://www.mtv.com/news/1449002/all-star-lineup-says-we-are-family-dr-dre-donates-1m/

USC President C.L Max Nikias announced today that record producer Jimmy Iovine and rapper Dr. Dre (aka Andre Young) will be giving the school $70 million to create a new undergraduate program called the USC Jimmy Iovine and Andre Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/15/dr-dre-usc-jimmy-iovine-70-million-gift_n_3280914.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom