• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•14-16•15 - Straight Outta Competition, super B.O.M.B.A for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.
My top movies this summer:

1) Straight Outta Compton
2) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
3) Jurassic World
4) Inside Out
5) Ant Man

I thought Inside Out would top my list but it was too slapstick for my liking.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
My top movies this summer:

1) Straight Outta Compton
3) Jurassic World
4) Inside Out
5) Ant Man

I thought Inside Out would top my list but it was too slapstick for my liking.

My top 4 summer films:

1) Jurassic World
3) Trainwreck
4) Terminator: Genisys

I thought Inside Out was terrible, sorry folks (and I usually like 3D Animation films).

Watching Straight Outta Compton Monday.

kswiston

I haven't really seen enough films this summer to do a list: Age of Ultron, Inside Out, Jurassic World, Ant-Man, and Fury Road.

I thought that Inside Out was excellent, but I think some of that has to do with my life stage as a newish parent to a little girl. Fury Road took awhile to grow on me, as I was never the biggest fan of the Mad Max films. I don't think the plot is as deep as some people give it credit for, but the action scenes definitely were top rate, and it was a pretty film in all of its post-apocalyptic ugliness. I am glad that it did fairly well at the box office.

Age of Ultron and Ant-man were both OK. Ultron was pretty forgettable with a few fun scenes. Ant-man could have been a really good comic film, but it suffered from some of the things that many MCU films suffer (very uneven acting, some plot issues in the third act, and a one dimensional villain).

Jurassic World is a film that I have no interest in ever seeing again.

Jigorath

Banned
A list? Umm

1. Mad Max

-Huge Gap-

2. Inside Out
3. Rogue Nation
4. Ant-Man

Hmm. Can't think of anything else I liked too much. I haven't seen Compton or Shaun the Sheep yet.

EDIT: Totally forgot about Spy. That'll round out my top 5.

Didn't know there were other people who felt similarly to me about Inside Out :)

Top summer movies:
1. Theeb
2. A Pigeon Sat On A Branch Reflecting On Existence
3. Mad Max Fury Road
4. The Wonders
5. Mistress America
6. Spy
7. Trainwreck

Straight Outta Compton is not out here yet (August 28th).

Abounder

Banned
Ant-Man should've been marketed like the second coming of Honey I shrunk the kids, Marvel almost got there with the Thomas the Tank engine spots. Definitely need to do a better job for Doctor Strange

Why do you keep trying to make me read terrible Forbes articles

lmao true enough

I don't see any Mad Max on that list.

Trippin.

Terminator and Jurassic shouldn't be on any damn list

*brofist*

Love my warboys. Let's see some top 5's:

Fury Road
Rogue Nation
Trainwreck
Inside-Out
Ant Man

Ultron had the spectacle but was a clunky villain and story just felt like filler. Genisys was a sack of shit but at least it's got a China release I suppose. JW was serviceable

I actually saw 5 movies this summer so:

Mad Max

M:I

Man from Uncle

Jurassic World

Terminator

If we're counting the classic series at the local historic theater...

Mad Max/Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Birds

M:I

Mary Poppins

Gone With the Wind

And Big Lebowski's tomorrow which will bump MP and GWtW down (edit: M:I too). FYI the programmer was like, "Why the hell not? It's a good movie."

Mad Max
Straight Outta Compton
The Gift
Mission Impossible
Spy

Inside Out just got cut off (also I liked a few scenes but a lot of the film felt like wasted potential on such a good concept) and jurassic world, ant man and avengers weren't as good as any of these imo

Edit: man I saw a lot of shit, I need to be more selective smh

kewlmyc

Doing tops now?

1. Mad Max: Fury Road
2. Inside Out
3. Ant Man
4. Jurassic World
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron

Will probably see Straight Outta Compton and Mission Impossible next week.

Neoxon

If it's of any worth, Age of Ultron is #6 for me while Jurassic World was #7. Both were solid films in my eyes, but just not as great as I was hoping (or as great as the Top 5). Ant-Man far exceeded my expectations, as I was only expecting a decent film, not one of my Top 5 favorite MCU films. Likewise, I expected Mad Max to be good, but not that good. As for Inside Out, I had high expectations that Pixar was able to meet. And the likes of Straight Outta Compton & Rogue Nation came out of nowhere for me. I know I get some flack for being the Marvel Studios guy, & I do enjoy their movies, but my tastes for films go far & beyond them as well.

And for the record, I did end up seeing the Aliens movies. I forgot if it was Bobby or someone else who said that I should finish the series of films.

Toothless

Ooh, my top 5 (I saw 20 movies total)

1. Inside Out
  2. Mad Max: Fury Road
  3. Shaun the Sheep Movie
  4. The Gift
  5. Trainwreck

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation just missed the list. Nothing else really worth mentioning

bryanee

1. Mad Max
2. Terminator
3. Jurassic Park
4. Spy
5. Fast 7
6. Avengers

That's all I've seen this year. Fast 7 and Ultron were so fucking disappointing.

*waits for it*

edit -

I forgot I saw Spy, added.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
With the media attack on Dr.Dre pass, it may drop off the charts all together. Even though the movie isn't about one man. Having the number one film in the country can have negative consequences.

What media attack? Links?

My top 5 (I've seen a movie every week this summer with a few exceptions)
1) Inside Out
1) Mad Max: Fury Road -TIE
2) Trainwreck
3) Mission Impossible: Rouge Nation
4) Straight Outta Compton
5) Spy

mreddie

YOU'RE TOO CLOSE MAN

tumblr-mc3t27inmo1r33r0fo1-r1-500.gif

I fucking DIED watching that the first time. Not just because it was perfectly timed, and the sketch was gold up til that point anyway, but because someone was finally putting hands on Wyclef for being annoying as shit.

mreddie

I fucking DIED watching that the first time. Not just because it was perfectly timed, and the sketch was gold up til that point anyway, but because someone was finally putting hands on Wyclef for being annoying as shit.

I need you to go to Harlem and find a midget and take a picture of him holding these balloons. Holding these balloons. Holding these balloons.

Enough of Dylan though, I saw Ultra...it was ok. Not top 5 worthy of the summer.

Should we make a separate thread with the Top 5 Summer films or no?

I haven't seen shit this summer except Fury Road and Ant-man... I think. Not sure what new movies I watched.

1. Fury Road

5. Ant-Man

I did see Gremlins 2 three times in 35mm. Return of the Living Dead with a cast Q&A while Clu Gulager gave an interview with a 5 foot penis in his arms.

I have barely gone to theaters this summer. I saw Avengers opening night, and then Mad Max twice. I haven't seen anything else.
Ant Man is the first Marvel film I didn't see opening night, or in theaters. I am just waiting for blu ray at this point.

3N16MA

Banned
Lists? I like lists.

1. Fury Road
2. Inside Out
3. Rogue Nation

I also watched, AoU, JW, Ant-Man, Southpaw, and Minions. Will catch Straight Outta Compton.

Caode

Terminator Genisys China update:

#ChinaBoxOffice #TerminatorGenisys opened with est. ¥170M ($26.6M) on Sun, 4th highest opening day gross behind #Transformers4, #Ultron, #F7

Mine is:

1. Inside out
2. Mad Max: Fury Road
3. Mission Impossible Rouge Nation
4. Ant Man (i was pretty meh on this but ive only seen four movies this summer)

Edit: oh yeah I watched that age of ultron thing as well. Whoops. Forgot it even existed.

kswiston

Weekend estimates:

1) Straight Outta Compton - $26.7m - $111m total
2) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $11.7m - $158m total
3) Sinister 2 - $10.6m
4) Hitman: Agent 47 - $8.2m
5) The Man From UNCLE - $7.4m - $27m total
6) American Ultra - $5.5m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom