• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 08•14-16•15 - Straight Outta Competition, super B.O.M.B.A for Superman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Arnold making the promotional rounds in China for Terminator Genisys - tracking is good.

Appeared on the Voice China lol

sting-hall-hogan-nash.jpg

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So just looking at Boxoffice.com's long range forecast, and they've penciled in Pan for a 19M opener and a 57M life time gross, that cant be right surely? I would have thought that WB would through all their marketing weight behind it, given that it looks like quite an expensive film, which would ensure at least a 30M+ opener

aznpxdd

I think Terminator will do decent in China. There has been zero good international release here for quite awhile, people are thirsty as hell, even if its shit.

kswiston

Very early estimates have Compton dropping slightly better than I expected ($26-28M, which is down 53-56%. I thought the drop would be in the high 50s). Everything else is dead. Mission Impossible 5 might take second place again.

kswiston

Straight Outta Compton might keep its #1 title for 4 weeks given how weak the next two weekends look. I suppose the Transporter reboot could beat it in the first week of September, but I wouldn't be surprised if that opens to single (million dollar) digits.

I wonder if studios are going to start looking at that August slot as a legitimate slot for possible moneymakers, now. Still getting summer dollars, but benefiting from extended legs due to September/October being mostly a wasteland.

kswiston

I wonder if studios are going to start looking at that August slot as a legitimate slot for possible moneymakers, now. Still getting summer dollars, but benefiting from extended legs due to September/October being mostly a wasteland.

It seems like at least the first two weekends in August are considered legitimate release slots, but I don't see a lot of rush to move into the second two weekends yet. As of now, we have Suicide Squad releasing August 5th next year and Pete's Dragon releasing August 12th. Nothing substantial is on the schedule after that. Everyone wants to crowd into July despite the fact that half the films release in July always underperform/bomb due to competition.

Straight Outta Compton might keep its #1 title for 4 weeks given how weak the next two weekends look. I suppose the Transporter reboot could beat it in the first week of September, but I wouldn't be surprised if that opens to single (million dollar) digits.

I think it's got a shot into September. I don't really see anything really hitting it until Scorch Trials/Black Mass/possibly Everest.

kswiston

I think it's got a shot into September. I don't really see anything really hitting it until Scorch Trials/Black Mass/possibly Everest.

It will drop from first place by Sept 11th at the latest due to natural attrition. By then, Compton will be in its 5th weekend. Even with great drops, it will be under $8M by that point.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
I think Terminator will do decent in China. There has been zero good international release here for quite awhile, people are thirsty as hell, even if its shit.

The film is tracking well - $100 million is a lock at this point. Paramount (Viacom) will most likely greenlight another Terminator sequel, with a lower budget, and seek co-production with China (much like they have done for Mission Impossible & Transformers).

Side note, Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation now stands at $405 million.

With the help of China, the film will most assuredly pass Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. That is great since the yen, yuan, and eu currency have greatly devalued since.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mi5.htm

kswiston

Friday Estimates:

1) Straight Outta Compton - $8.3M - $93M total
2) Sinister 2 - $4.7M
3) Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation - $3.4M - $149M total
4) Hitman: Agent 47 - $3.1M
5) The Man from U.N.C.L.E. - $2.2M - 21M total
6) American Ultra - $2.1M
7) The Gift - $1.3M - $28M total
8) Ant-Man - $1.2M - $162M total
9) Minions - $1.1M - $317M total
10) Fantastic Four - $1.1M - $47M total

Fantastic Four "only" dropped 1420 venues this weekend, and is down another 57% from last Friday. It looks like it will have poor but not extraordinary bad legs. $50M is obviously happening. $60M might happen depending on drops over the next 2 weeks. Beating Chronicle still looks out of reach.

Ant-man continues to hold well, dropping 23% from last Friday. Minions continues to mirror its drops.

Compton is down 65% from last Friday, but that's including $5M in Thursday previews, so the real drop is closer to 57%. I expect the weekend drop to be in that range.

Side note, Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation now stands at $405 million.

With the help of China, the film will most assuredly pass Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol. That is great since the yen, yuan, and eu currency have greatly devalued since.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=mi5.htm

The Yuan is about even with its early 2012 value actually. It was 6.3 Yuan/USD in Jan 2012 and is now close to 6.4 Yuan/USD.

Terminator Genisys posting the 4th highest midnight opening of all time in China is suggesting that we might see something closer to $150M there.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Friday Estimates:

Terminator Genisys posting the 4th highest midnight opening of all time in China is suggesting that we might see something closer to $150M there.

Yup. At this point, Paramount will greenlight a sequel, bring the budget down to $120 million, and co-prod with China.

That should bring Terminator: Genisys to a minimum of $450 million ww if legs are weaker than anticipated.

kswiston

Terminator will join San Andreas, Kingsmen and Home on the list of movies that China has pushed past Fury Road Worldwide this year.

I think that Ant-man will get there without China.

kswiston

Does ant-man not have a Chinese release?

It will have a Chinese release, but the other films I mentioned would have been behind Fury Road without China. Ant-Man should pass Fury Road before it is released in China. It's less than $20M behind at this point, and it has at least $10M more in the tank domestically (plus openings in South Korea and Japan in September).

With a decent run in China and South Korea, Ant-Man could pass Thor 1 worldwide.

With the media attack on Dr.Dre pass, it may drop off the charts all together. Even though the movie isn't about one man. Having the number one film in the country can have negative consequences.

Abounder

Banned
Terminator will join San Andreas, Kingsmen and Home on the list of movies that China has pushed past Fury Road Worldwide this year.

I think that Ant-man will get there without China.

Fury Road really needed a China release, won't make any money at the box office. Great film but bad business.

Neoxon

Looks like Ant-Man is a modest success for Marvel (though I think that was clear about 2 or more weeks ago). Kinda funny how Fant4stic isn't even passing up movies that are significantly older than it.

kswiston

f4 lower than ant man

ahahahahhahahaha

That was expected given both films' trajectories.

Ant-Man is now a little over $5M behind Captain America: First Avenger at the same point in its run, and is gaining quickly (Cap only made $630k on its 6th Friday). In fact, Ant-Man's 6th Friday isn't much lower than that of The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2. It looks like Ant-Man will end up with the third best legs of the MCU movies behind Guardians and Iron Man 1.

Abounder

Banned
And they don't have to split with Paramount for distribution...Ant-Man sequel may be more likely than not! Deserves it too

Fury Road really needed a China release, won't make any money at the box office. Great film but bad business.

You again.

With the media attack on Dr.Dre pass, it may drop off the charts all together. Even though the movie isn't about one man. Having the number one film in the country can have negative consequences.

I have no idea what is being said here. It's not going to drop off like that.

mreddie

I don't think that will effect it really, yeah, it's a fucked up mess but I doubt the public will care.

Looks like Ant-Man is a modest success for Marvel (though I think that was clear about 2 or more weeks ago). Kinda funny how Fant4stic isn't even passing up movies that are significantly older than it.

It's amazing how far the film has come since the opening weeks.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
The film’s opening weekend crowd was 52% female, 51% under the age of 30, 46% African American, 23% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, and 4% Asian. It did not play in Imax or 3D, but did score in premium large format locations, where it grossed $5.1 million, representing 9% of the film’s weekend receipts.

how do they know this? is it surveys?

Neoxon

That was expected given both films' trajectories.

Ant-Man is now a little over $5M behind Captain America: First Avenger at the same point in its run, and is gaining quickly (Cap only made $630k on its 6th Friday). In fact, Ant-Man's 6th Friday isn't much lower than that of The Winter Soldier and Iron Man 2. It looks like Ant-Man will end up with the third best legs of the MCU movies behind Guardians and Iron Man 1.
Which will benefit Ant-Man in the long-run if Marvel decides to do a sequel, more so if said sequel delivers.

Abounder

Banned
You again.

Did you read my post from the other thread warboy:

Why Is 'Mad Max: Fury Road' A Hit While 'Terminator: Genisys' Is A Flop?

At the end of the day, the film made back just 2.44x its production budget, which isn’t even the (very general) 2.5x figure that means that Warner Bros. and/or Village Roadshow will eventually break even and/or make a real profit in the end. Now maybe Mad Max: Fury Road will become a post-theatrical sensation, but that’s a conversation for a later date. At least in theatrical, I think it’s time for us to admit that the Tom Hardy/Charlize Theron film didn’t exactly set the world on fire.

I still say that the fifth Terminator movie is a financial disappointment. But perhaps I should be fair and extend that same label to Mad Max: Fury Road. I loved it too, it’s probably my favorite movie of the year, but it’s going to gross less than Terminator Salvation ($371m) from back in 2009 and in 2D. That may not be a flop in the long run, but it’s certainly no smash hit in the short run either.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme...oad-a-hit-while-terminator-genisys-is-a-flop/

Loved the film. Definitely bad business though. Fury Road was overbudget, lost money, has no China release, and no sequel. Mediocre.

kswiston

It's amazing how far the film has come since the opening weeks.

Given the reception since release, I think Ant-Man could have been another $200M+ domestic hit if they knew how to market the movie, and perhaps if Age of Ultron was received better. Considering how few comic films break a 3x multiplier (regardless of their opening), I think it is safe to say that people generally like the film.

That said, $170M is pretty much locked at this point, and Ant-Man has a good shot at ending up in the $175-180M range. I think that is pretty good, given its budget/marketing campaign. Most people were predicting Cap 1/Thor 1 numbers prior to release, and it looks like Ant-man will get there, despite the smaller opening.

mreddie

Given the reception since release, I think Ant-Man could have been another $200M+ domestic hit if they knew how to market the movie, and perhaps if Age of Ultron was received better. Considering how few comic films break a 3x multiplier (regardless of their opening), I think it is safe to say that people generally like the film.

That said, $170M is pretty much locked at this point, and Ant-Man has a good shot at ending up in the $175-180M range. I think that is pretty good, given its budget/marketing campaign. Most people were predicting Cap 1/Thor 1 numbers prior to release, and it looks like Ant-man will get there, despite the smaller opening.

Hope so, I want me my Scott and Hope team up film. It's just Disney was all in Inside Out but at the same time, they weren't sure how to market Antman. I just hope Disney sees it as a success.

Hope so, I want me my Scott and Hope team up film. It's just Disney was all in Inside Out but at the same time, they weren't sure how to market Antman.

They totally fucking flopped on marketing Tomorrowland, too. It really does depend. Disney seems like they can fuck up a lot on marketing (John Carter, Prince of Persia) etc, which puts those movies behind the 8 ball.

Anth0ny

I think it's pretty funny how the marketing ended up with Ant Man. Personally, knowing how comedic in nature MCU films tend to be (and the fact that the lead is Paul Rudd), some of those earlier trailers seemed WAY too serious, to the point where it was a turn off.

Yet (anecdotal, of course), I've had at least three family members/friends ask me if I saw Ant Man, followed by the question "Is that movie, like, a joke? It's like a parody of the Avengers, right?"

I don't know how that impression got out there after the seemingly serious marketing at first, and I don't know if that's why the film is doing as "well" as it's doing, but the idea that it's a "joke movie" seems to be out there. Very weird.

I think the idea that it's directly following the fucking Avengers is really hurting it. Besides the fact that AOU was underwhelming, you go from that massive crossover event to... Ant Man, less than two months later. Just doesn't seem all that exciting in comparison
even though I enjoyed Ant Man more than AOU :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom